• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves you think a Pokemon should have.

OK, I've decided to list each move that Flareon should get. I already mentioned Scald and Energy Ball, while others have suggested Flare Blitz Wild Charge. So, here's the list of what I thimk he should get (factoring in these four):
[NOTE: Moves with an asterik next to them mean that they should be shared with all the Eeveelutions.]
1.) Flare Blitz (No duh.)
2.) Wild Charge (It's an Electric-Type Take Down. And also, explain to me how Arcanine can use it?)
3.) Scald (Swallows water, heats it up, spits it out.)
4.) Energy Ball (See page 1.)
5.) SuckerPunch* (To overcome his pitiful speed.)
6.) Nasty Plot* (Raise his Sp.Atk to a higher level.
7.) Swords Dance (This plus Flare Blitz= F--K THAT HURTS!)
8.) Aqua Tail (Dips tail in water, smacks opponent.)
9.) Reversal* (I know he gets Flail, but this should replace it.)
10.) SolarBeam (He's the only Fire-Type who can't. Time to end the madness!)

So yeah. that's pretty much it. Any suggestions, post them, and I'll edit them into here (with credit given).

{OFF TOPIC: If F. Blitz is too much, then Game Freak should at least make a Fire-Type Take Down for Flareon.}

There's no reason that Arcanine shouldn't have Wild Charge. It's a running/rushing/charging move. When the English name wasn't known, the supposed name was "Wild Bolt."

Flareon shouldn't get moves just because they'd be powerful (that would be Swords Dance--there's no reason it should get this move). It also shouldn't get the Water moves (obvously).

Too bad your reasoning for Scald and Aqua tail requires there to be a body of water to use it.

Machomp family - Drain Punch
Poliwrath - Drain Punch, Stone Edge, Close Combat
Gyarados - Crunch
Gengar - Nasty Plot (NP Gar would scare the crap out of me so kind of I'm glad it doesn't get it ._. It would be interesting, though!)
Gible family getting EQ by level up would be nice.

Last edited:
1.) Flare Blitz (No duh, indeed.)
2.) Wild Charge (Not only Arcanine. There's also Rapidash, Emboar, and more! It wouldn't be too out of line for Flareon to have it, too; it can run just fine.)

Those are the only two I agree with.

Also, Gastly should get Nasty Plot. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't; all 3 members of the Gastly family think bad thoughts just about all the time.

I'll start with Unova, starting off with the starters:

Serperior-
Via level up:
Bite/Crunch. The other snakes get them.
Glare. Dex demands it.
Twister. Learns leaf tornado so why not.
Power Whip. Just a stronger version of vine whip.
Aqua Tail. Good coverage and the guy is mostly tail. Fits nicely with coil too.
Recover. Good move to have on a tank.

Via TM/Move Tutor:
Outrage.
Dragon Pulse.
Dark Pulse.
Sludge Wave/Bomb. Already learns Gastro Acid naturally.
Safeguard/Refresh.
Earthquake. Ridiculous that a starter doesn't get this...

Breeding:
Dragon Dance.
Hypnosis. Possibly due to the eye focus. Works well with Coil.

Possibly: Superpower. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned this, as it would go great with Contrary.

Emboar-
Via level up:
Fire Punch. Dex demands it.
Mach Punch. Dex said something about fast fighting moves.
Close Combat. No reason whatsoever why he didn't get this.

Samurott-
Via level up:
Shell Smash. He needs it, plus his stats go well with it. Hes also wearing a shell.
Glare & Howl. What the Dex says.

Via TM/Move Tutor:
Earthquake. See Serperior.
Outrage. Gets Dragon Tail so why not.

Last edited:
flareon should also learn flame wheel

i know its not that strong but it is a physical fire move, why not?

I'm pretty sure Synthesis makes more sense than Recover on a Grass-type like Serperior.

Last edited:
Flareon shouldn't get moves just because they'd be powerful (that would be Swords Dance--there's no reason it should get this move). It also shouldn't get the Water moves (obvously).

I wasn't trying to do that. I was trying to put together a list of moves that would make Flareon suck that much less. And about the Water moves, we have Emboar with Scald, so I was thinking along those lines. Besides, it's not like the thing has an external flame that would get washed out when using either move.

@linny_456 A Blaze Kicking Flareon would be awesome, but I don't think it'll happen.

maybe, definitely flame wheel and maybe blaze kick, but i wouldnt want to see it learn fire punch

My point was: it's nonsensical for it to learn every physical fire move. Its movepool would be massive and it's not a valid criterion for flareon learning the move.

[...]
Serperior-
Via level up:
Bite/Crunch. The other snakes get them.
Glare. Dex demands it.
Twister. Learns leaf tornado so why not.
Power Whip. Just a stronger version of vine whip.
Aqua Tail. Good coverage and the guy is mostly tail. Fits nicely with coil too.
Recover. Good move to have on a tank.

Via TM/Move Tutor:
Outrage.
Dragon Pulse.
Dark Pulse.
Sludge Wave/Bomb. Already learns Gastro Acid naturally.
Safeguard/Refresh.
Earthquake. Ridiculous that a starter doesn't get this...

Breeding:
Dragon Dance.
Hypnosis. Possibly due to the eye focus. Works well with Coil.

Possibly: Superpower. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned this, as it would go great with Contrary.

Emboar-
Via level up:
Fire Punch. Dex demands it.
Mach Punch. Dex said something about fast fighting moves.
Close Combat. No reason whatsoever why he didn't get this.

Samurott-
Via level up:
Shell Smash. He needs it, plus his stats go well with it. Hes also wearing a shell.
Glare & Howl. What the Dex says.

Via TM/Move Tutor:
Earthquake. See Serperior.
Serperior does have Glare--egg move. I believe it will get Dragon Pulse as well, either in move tutor form or TM form (as TMs, no longer needing to be floating, as they are infinite use, can now differ between games). I'm also warming up to the idea of Serperior being a DD sweeper. I don't think it needs any of the other moves, especially Sludge Bomb. Serperior's greatest virtue is that it's a grass snake.

Emboar's additions are all fine. I like the idea (mine) of him getting Submission also.

I wouldn't give Samurott Glare, Earthquake or Outrage. Earthquake would be great for it, but, if you miss out on a TM move, well... Outrage is too Dragon-ish for it. Howl is also unnecessary.

Samurott-

And? I don't see the connection.

Slowking get's Dragon Tail, should it also have Outrage ?

Rattata, Meowth and Sentret can learn Iron Tail, by your definition should they also have Meteor Mash and Flash Cannon?

Serperior does have Glare--egg move. I believe it will get Dragon Pulse as well, either in move tutor form or TM form (as TMs, no longer needing to be floating, as they are infinite use, can now differ between games). I'm also warming up to the idea of Serperior being a DD sweeper. I don't think it needs any of the other moves, especially Sludge Bomb. Serperior's greatest virtue is that it's a grass snake.

Emboar's additions are all fine. I like the idea (mine) of him getting Submission also.

I wouldn't give Samurott Glare, Earthquake or Outrage. Earthquake would be great for it, but, if you miss out on a TM move, well... Outrage is too Dragon-ish for it. Howl is also unnecessary.

I know, but having it as a level up move would be better IMO. Alot of the other moves are on virtue of it being a snake, so its movepool should resemble the other snakes, to me at least. The poison moves aren't really needed, but the dragon ones I think fit.

(Power Whip fits too) Aqua Tail for a water move is also great coverage. Recover/Hypnosis would basically make him a grass version of Milotic : D Though honestly I'm still on the fence about Hypnosis... Coil + Hypnosis seems almost broken but he could set up nicely.

As long as it gets an accuracy boost then Submission is good. Emboar's move pool isn't really bad compared to others in Unova, he just needs some more fighting moves.

Thats there mainly because the Dex says that he "silences opponents with one glare." Theres also a description in the japanese dex that says he howls and dominates foes I believe. Earthquake... No starter should ever miss out on Earthquake.
And? I don't see the connection.

Agreed. How does Ice Shard sound? I think that would be great for a physical ice move imo. Shell Smash is most likely all he really needs though.

Last edited:
Agreed. How does Ice Shard sound? I think that would be great for a physical ice move imo. Shell Smash is most likely all he really needs though.

I could see him using Ice Shard. And yes, Shell Smash would be great.

I don't get why people want Serperior to learn Earthquake. I can't see it, Samurott sure, because it's hefty, but how would Serperior trigger a small Earthquake?

I don't get why people want Serperior to learn Earthquake. I can't see it, Samurott sure, because it's hefty, but how would Serperior trigger a small Earthquake?

Look at nearly every other starter from previous gens and then come back and say that. Especially Sceptile and INFERNAPE, who are both light and swift compared to Serperior. Hell, I could say what you just said about a good few other starters and lightweight mons too.

There is no excuse. The other snakes (Arbok/Seviper) are virtually the same size as Serperior, yet they can learn Earthquake, so I don't understand why you can't see it.

GF trolled on some of Unova's movesets imo, they are a bit smaller compared to other gens.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom