• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obama DOJ argues for keeping Defense of Marriage Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Obama calls for Nation-Wide Ban on Gay Marriage

So it's fake? Thank God.
I'll admit though, even if it were true, some of the reactions were a little...
xD;

All that's true (or at least true per the information posted so far in the thread) is that the Obama DoJ has filled a brief to defend an existing law on marriage from a court challenge.

Obviously said law is not a nation-wide ban on gay marriage, otherwise states would not be able to have gay marriage right now.

That's ALL.

I hate saying this, but Arcane Mind was the first voice of reason in this thread (enjoy it while it lasts, Arcane!). And thanks for reposting the brief.

The brief itself made me go tl;dr after about half an hour of reading it. No wonder nobody likes dealing with attourneys and lawyers.

LoL.

Good thing I'm undergoing legal training presently, uh?

So apparently my comment ("I hope he dies") is regarded as an "assassination threat." I admit that was out of line, but I don't want to kill him myself. It's not like I sent him something.

Besides, I was going to apologize anyway. >_>

LoL.

Good thing I'm undergoing legal training presently, uh?

I'll hold no judgments if you don't turn into one of those crooked, ambulance chasing "U R ENTITLED 2 COMPENSATION" lawyers that plaster their commercials over every network. >.>

So apparently my comment ("I hope he dies") is regarded as an "assassination threat." I admit that was out of line, but I don't want to kill him myself. It's not like I sent him something.

Besides, I was going to apologize anyway. >_>

Yes it is actually , and besides, even though I don't like both parties I wouldn't wish them harm.

................ok, when I saw the first few pages of this thread, I was about ready to overreact as much as anyone else. Thank God I kept reading...and remembered that while I was watching TV with my dad this afternoon, he flipped to Bill O'Riley (he loves the guy :-/ but he's my dad and otherwise pretty moderate, so I forgive him), and HE didn't have anything to say about this. Here's to it NOT being true.

Troll thread title is trolling.

As for the rest...

1)If Obama fails to defend the act, he will be accused of using the court to circumvent senate from here on out to eternity, and subverting democracy, by getting what he wants (the law struck down) in the courts, not in congress. This would both make the end of DOMA far weaker than it needs to be, and wreck Obama's ability to actually do things, by destroying his political capital.

2)The specific languages and arguments made in the brief are the work of DoJ lawyers. That Obama said "we need to defend this" is one thing, but I doubt he had the time to review every legal argument made in the brief.

3)The argument on incest is simply "It has long been recognized that states are free to oppose certain types of marriage", with example of case where foreign marriages that were against the law of a given state were not recognized. It's fairly normal legalese, and does not in any way imply "gay marriage = incest = bigamy". They are arguing on the constitutional of a law such as DOMA, and not on the morality of gay marriage. This is normal.

In other words, this is very much a case of people overblowing a story one after the other: the blog article Zeta quoted blew out of proportion the content of the actual filling, and Zeta's thread title overblew the actual content of what was quoted.

This is what I'm thinking, I may be 2 pages too late to agree, but this is what I agree with anyways.

I will add that I'm not sure if Obama ever was for gay marriage (I believe I stated this come election time that the only one really supporting homosexual rights was Clinton), only stating he'd work for equal rights. He also always refers to gay marriage as "Civil Unions", but who can blame him really? Is Illinois on the verge of approving Gay Marriage? Has anyone heard this? What about Hawaii? Its no surprise. People are quick to throw stones at others for moving backwards when they themselves aren't even where they were. (Still, I can understand why they would get upset, in the same way as if Superman got beat-up by the Penguin, they cast their hopes for themselves in other's success)

But he did say he'll work towards equal rights of homosexuals, and he did say he would support gay marriage if the people support it.

Still, I say what are you even doing as a Democrat if that is the only reason to support Obama? Also, why the hell would you change back to the party that is so often openly against gay rights because of this in the first place? That's like finding a black widow in your garden so you move to the African Jungle.

I mean, the little black spider looks a lot better than a den of Black Mambas, Lions, and Hippos. Right?

Woooooow, people really overeact to this kind of issue. Especially since OBama(as others said) never really supported 'gay marriaage' per se, but rather Civil unions.

ANd of course, way to say all black people are homophobes, because they ALL are like that....-_-

For once, the conservatives in this place are more reasonable....god.

Woooooow, people really overeact to this kind of issue. Especially since OBama(as others said) never really supported 'gay marriaage' per se, but rather Civil unions.

ANd of course, way to say all black people are homophobes, because they ALL are like that....-_-

For once, the conservatives in this place are more reasonable....god.

That is the another reason why I got pissed at the theard because of the fact that he lumped all black people as homophobes. And I got offened as a black woman when he said that, And I had to correct him on that, allthough the religous argument I made stays. Allthough I will give this thread credit, It's got me talking about politics on a message board agian which I have'nt did since 2006.

And AmericaBlog strikes again. >.<

Couldn't read the first link at all; accessing the page almost infected my lappy with a trojan. So yeah, I'm not going back. But I used to frequent the blog in question a few years ago. It was a great source of news... until the blogmaster seemed to go off the deep end.

I'm forced to take the whole thing with a grain of salt. I'd really like to hear this from a mainstream media source before I pass judgement.

Everyone: read this thread, the hateful posts of its members, and remember the power even false, two bit media sources have over people, even those who had voted for President Obama. You see how we are so fast to judge, to turn our opinions on a dime, to give into senseless aggression based upon what our trusted media sources tell us? Look upon these reactions and be disgusted, my friends. Disgusted in the media and our own willingness to trust it.

Everyone: read this thread, the hateful posts of its members, and remember the power even false, two bit media sources have over people, even those who had voted for President Obama. You see how we are so fast to judge, to turn our opinions on a dime, to give into senseless aggression based upon what our trusted media sources tell us? Look upon these reactions and be disgusted, my friends. Disgusted in the media and our own willingness to trust it.

Everyone, read this thread, and notice all the people who called bullshit on this one... and know that things just aren't as bad as this poster would like to believe.

And remember that the "media" in this case was one specific blog, overblown by a user who made the title he gave the thread sound really awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom