• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the infallible wisdom of a quick internet search, Breath of the Wild team was around 300, Game Freak's whole personnel base is around half that, and that may include more than just developers.

I have no idea if those character designs are real or not but I hope they are. I like them.

Kinda wished we could have lava translate to check the legitimacy of the japanese, but she's kinda banned from that so...

The first three Kanji next to the protagonist is definitely Shujinko(主人公) and it uses the same characters that official sources use when referring the playable characters. I am not sure about the part in parenthesis, but it does look like 男の子 and 女の子 which means boy and girl respectively. The handwriting is a little scribbly, but I'd be more concerned if it was perfect. The rival is spelt with the kana which is used for writing things like English words. I'm pretty sure it is the correct kana spelling, but do not know if they would label the character as such.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the legitimacy of the Japanese though. It is very simple and there is very little of it.

BOTW also had the help of Monolith as well where GameFreak doesn't, so there is that too.
Yep, this is also something to consider. BOTW was a big game that required a lot of time and mansource.GF doesn’t/didn’t have surely the second at their disposal (given that Monolith helped with Zelda and were developing their games, I don’t think they could’ve helped GF as well.)

We truly don't really know how long they've been working on this game, and we know next to nothing about the games other than unconfirmed "titles" and that it's for the Switch.

Game Freak may have multiple studios, but for them to spend 5 years on this game meant they were working on this game and SM simultaneously, which is unprecedented for the series.It's highly unlikely they've been working on this game longer than 2016.

As much as I loved BoTW, I just want to point out that the remake/enhanced port Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which released almost two months later, outranks it in sales for the Switch worldwide by around three-quarters of a million sales. Last time I checked my Switch's eShop, Death Road to Canada was in the top three in the current sales chart. Switch games do not need to be groundbreaking to sell well or be well received.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe benefited from having a large audience of players who owned a Switch but not a Wii U and therefore the Switch port was their first opportunity to buy the game. There's not as many Switch owners that didn't own a 3DS. The people that didn't already own a 3DS primarily consist of mobile gamers who got Go but are less inclined to get a Switch and PS4/XBO/PC gamers who are more inclined to play a game like BotW. The MK8D effect is unlikely to happen here.

I could see how they could make it like Breath of the Wild: let you face each leader in any order, with them using a different team based on when you fight them. They could also implement the Quest Mechanic from BOTW (I.E every main/side quest has a quest tag like in BOTW).

Also, aren't Pokemon games open-world anyway? You can go places.

The inability to challenge leaders in any order is part of what makes it not open world, the other part of it is having one continuous overworld instead of segmented linear levels. So say, routes are probably something that shouldn't exist in an open world game since open world leves aren't supposed to have a set path.

Doesn't GF have a smaller team than Zelda does? If they had more I'm sure they'd have a lot more accomplished.

Yeah so, they should you know, get some. 120ish people is not enough to sustain console development, if they want to make console games on a yearly basis they should have at least 300-400.

Yo you can register for news on Pokemon Switch on the Nintendo site now. A reveal is immanent now, I do believe.

There are rumors about this "leak"
Let's go leaks:

>it is a sequel to Yellow
>protagonists are professor blue oak's children
>the rival is red's son on a spiritual journey on behalf of his father
>the starter is depending on which version you chose
>pikachu and eevee get a new evolution
that is all for now...

Let's go leaks:

that is all for now...

1996: "Er, what was his name again?" "That's right, I remember now! His name is Buttface!"
2018: The Buttface family has been waiting twenty years for this chance. The children of Buttface look to their rival, Red's son, and to the professor who has forgotten his name, and smile.

Sounds interesting, though. I hated the idea of returning to Kanto at first, but I'm slowly warming to it.

https://is2.*********/vp/1527289151037.png
Oki, I don't know who made these, but these are good.

Rival looks good, love that design~

Girl looks decent (hair looks meh and she's got a spider for a hand)

The boy tho..............well, I'm glad I'm a girl, even if they are just fan designs~

Let's go leaks:

that is all for now...

They always lose me at "sequel"

The rival is spelt with the kana which is used for writing things like English words. I'm pretty sure it is the correct kana spelling, but do not know if they would label the character as such.

These are certainly fake but they (the actual games) do use Katakana when referring to the rival~

I too would rather a sequel.
What was Kanto's story again? It looks basic and outdated (Red beats the Gyms, takes down TR, and become Pokémon Master, and let's all start worshipping him).

I too would rather a sequel.
What was Kanto's story again? It looks basic and outdated (Red beats the Gyms, takes down TR, and become Pokémon Master, and let's all start worshipping him).
That pretty much was the story. Back when pokemon had little story. Now these day people complain about too much story.

Game Freak may have multiple studios, but for them to spend 5 years on this game meant they were working on this game and SM simultaneously, which is unprecedented for the series.It's highly unlikely they've been working on this game longer than 2016.

Again, we just don't know. Also, DP is a prime example that long development time =/= quality game. I still stand by my point that people are jumping to conclusions about this game being utter shit when we hardly know any proven facts about it.

That pretty much was the story. Back when pokemon had little story. Now these day people complain about too much story.

I just wish they'd scale back the scope of the story. I still want a good, intriguing story but it doesn't have to revolve around dimensional rifts or forces of nature trying to end the world. I think it would be awesome if they just went all in and focused specifically on you become the greatest trainer and your rivalry with different trainers be the focal point of the story. Like if there 4 different families and each one had a child pokemon trainer to represent them and the entire story was just about the rivalry of the families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom