• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Future Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people here have said there were so many incompatibilities between X/Y and OR/AS. Although this may be the first within the same generation of having incompatibilities, people also forget that Shaymin's Sky Forme, Giratina's Origin Forme, Wash Rotom, Heat Rotom, Frost Rotom, Fan Rotom, Mow Rotom, Black Kyurem, White Kyurem, the Therian Formes of Tornadus/Landorus/Thunderus, Keldeo's Resolute Forme and Meloetta's Pirouette Forme are examples of when attempting to play with a game in which those formes don't exist. When those formes are battled or traded with a player using a game in which they don't exist, they automatically revert back to their original form and stay as that even after battle or trade. And if they are holding any item that doesn't exist in those games (eg. Griseous Orb), the game will automatically remove the item from the Pokémon and the player will have to go through the trouble of giving the item back to that Pokémon.

But in the current generation (which in this case is sixth generation), the game just simply doesn't allow battling or trading Pokémon holding new items or new moves.

But also... there are many people here on this forum and anywhere who have not lived during the era of the first and second generation and have no clue on how the Time Capsule system worked in Gold/Silver/Crystal. And I was living around in the time of the first and second generations of Pokémon and I still have Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal. During that time, players could NOT trade or battle with the Time Capsule using new Pokémon, new moves or Pokémon holding an item. And it seems many have either forgotten about that or have not lived during that era.

It could easily happen again with the next games. And hey, even if we do get a "Generation 6.5", it will still be considered the seventh generation by Junichi Masuda, regardless. Yes, I do feel that the next games are about as close as you're going to get to a "Generation 6.5", yet still be called as "Generation 7" in an official statement. It's almost like saying that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is Super Mario Galaxy 1.5 (which it originally was called early in development).

Either way, it's still really exciting! ^^

The only way I can see them going for a 3rd game approach is if they go for XZ Yz, but not the way people are expecting it. The way I see it, is that this is XY following ORAS. But Mitcman, XY IS after ORAS in the megaverse. Here's what I'm thinking. There are two universes that had the ultimate weapon. The RSE Hoenn wasn't the one implied in the Delta Episode in other words. The real reboot of the timeline came with ORAS, not XY. XY is still in the same timeline with FRLG-E-Pt-HGSS-BW-B2W2, and ORAS is in fact the first game of the second Infinite Weapon timeline.
How this works is that in both timelines the infinite weapon went off. However, the one in the old timeline didn't effect the world on such a large scale, while the one in the ORAS timeline did. The differentiator for this is that Xerneas/Yveltal powered one while the other was powered by Zygarde. Being powered by Zygarde also had another side effect, a backup plan by Zygarde. By utilizing its power to fire the weapon, Zygarde decided to split itself up, scattering its cells throughout the world in the aftermath of the blast. This is why Hoenn gets restored after a flash of green light, Zygarde is actively restoring balance whenever something is afoot.
In the new XZYZ, the changes would be:
-Megas exist throughout the world, and the Lucario lore is Kalos' own myth/interpretation as to how megas came to be.
-Project Azoth, Mauville Holdings and Devon Corps resesrch all have different and separate roles to finding the mystery of mega evolution. Either through references or characters who followed up on them.
-Lysandre trying to active the Ultimate Weapon with Xerneas/Yveltal goea a bit astray. Zygarde is revealed to TF, which becomes their post-league goal.
-Kiloude City becomes the gateway to the BF, which was brought over from Hoenn.
-South Kalos is a mini region like Sevii Islands, and has its own plot.

But also... there are many people here on this forum and anywhere who have not lived during the era of the first and second generation and have no clue on how the Time Capsule system worked in Gold/Silver/Crystal. And I was living around in the time of the first and second generations of Pokémon and I still have Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal. During that time, players could NOT trade or battle with the Time Capsule using new Pokémon, new moves or Pokémon holding an item. And it seems many have either forgotten about that or have not lived during that era.

Does that mean it's acceptable in this day and age? I wasn't there for the release of gen I but they were my first games and I played gen II not long after, so I am familiar with all their faults. The numerous bugs, game breaking glitches, and overall poor design - some moves did the exact opposite of what they were meant to do! I love that these games are like that, but the only reason it's okay is because the technology sucked and Game Freak weren't that experienced at programming GameBoy games at the time. If certain things should be expected in this day and age, and even be exempt from criticism, just because they existed when Pokemon was starting out, then we should expect glitch cities, loss of Pokemon due to a botched trade and all sorts of things in the next game! Game Freak has evolved so the fact that we hold them to a higher standard is a good thing, and people have the right to criticize whatever they want, especially when it's an issue that shouldn't be present any more.

such as following Pokemon in HGSS but not DPPt

Maybe this is nitpicky of me, but Walking Pokémon were technically included in D/P and Platinum, it's just that it was limited to one area and a select few species of Pokémon. Although I don't think this comparison works exactly because HG/SS were the final games of Gen IV, so Walking Pokémon would have been something that were included at the *end* of the generation. What abandoned them was B/W.

But I do see what you are saying, and you make a good point. Even though I think that a standard "third version" is the least likely of all the possible outcomes, I could also see them saying that sequels were specifically a Gen V thing.

The only way I can see them going for a 3rd game approach is if they go for XZ Yz, but not the way people are expecting it. The way I see it, is that this is XY following ORAS. But Mitcman, XY IS after ORAS in the megaverse. Here's what I'm thinking. There are two universes that had the ultimate weapon. The RSE Hoenn wasn't the one implied in the Delta Episode in other words. The real reboot of the timeline came with ORAS, not XY. XY is still in the same timeline with FRLG-E-Pt-HGSS-BW-B2W2, and ORAS is in fact the first game of the second Infinite Weapon timeline.
How this works is that in both timelines the infinite weapon went off. However, the one in the old timeline didn't effect the world on such a large scale, while the one in the ORAS timeline did. The differentiator for this is that Xerneas/Yveltal powered one while the other was powered by Zygarde. Being powered by Zygarde also had another side effect, a backup plan by Zygarde. By utilizing its power to fire the weapon, Zygarde decided to split itself up, scattering its cells throughout the world in the aftermath of the blast. This is why Hoenn gets restored after a flash of green light, Zygarde is actively restoring balance whenever something is afoot.

Zinnia specifically stated that the Hoenn in the "other" universe was in a timeline where the Kalos war never happened, period. Not just "on a smaller scale." There was never a weapon, and there was never Mega Evolution. So X/Y simply cannot be a part of that, because it *does* talk about the war and it *does* feature Mega Evolutions (and it wouldn't match with the pre-Gen VI games anyway - there is of course the question of, "How come my Gardevoir can annihilate a Hydreigon in France, but is helpless against one in America?")

Maybe this is nitpicky of me, but Walking Pokémon were technically included in D/P and Platinum, it's just that it was limited to one area and a select few species of Pokémon. Although I don't think this comparison works exactly because HG/SS were the final games of Gen IV, so Walking Pokémon would have been something that were included at the *end* of the generation. What abandoned them was B/W.

You're right about that! When I think about Amity Square, it's normally about how the ladies at the gates say "okey" instead of okay so I just didn't remember xD I suppose a better example would be something like the Poketch.

In the new XZYZ, the changes would be:
-Megas exist throughout the world, and the Lucario lore is Kalos' own myth/interpretation as to how megas came to be.
-Project Azoth, Mauville Holdings and Devon Corps resesrch all have different and separate roles to finding the mystery of mega evolution. Either through references or characters who followed up on them.
-Lysandre trying to active the Ultimate Weapon with Xerneas/Yveltal goea a bit astray. Zygarde is revealed to TF, which becomes their post-league goal.
-Kiloude City becomes the gateway to the BF, which was brought over from Hoenn.
-South Kalos is a mini region like Sevii Islands, and has its own plot.

Along with what Endolise said, XY actually takes place at the same time as BW2. But I really love the idea of a region reminiscent of the Sevii Islands, if not something bigger. XY's priority seems to have been the game engine and mechanics over plot, so I feel like there is a lot add. I really love Kalos and I think it has a lot of untapped potential that I hope sequals/third version/etc would really take advantage of.

But I do see what you are saying, and you make a good point. Even though I think that a standard "third version" is the least likely of all the possible outcomes, I could also see them saying that sequels were specifically a Gen V thing.

Zinnia specifically stated that the Hoenn in the "other" universe was in a timeline where the Kalos war never happened, period. Not just "on a smaller scale." There was never a weapon, and there was never Mega Evolution. So X/Y simply cannot be a part of that, because it *does* talk about the war and it *does* feature Mega Evolutions (and it wouldn't match with the pre-Gen VI games anyway - there is of course the question of, "How come my Gardevoir can annihilate a Hydreigon in France, but is helpless against one in America?")
That's what I said, she was mentioning a timeline that could possibly exist. What I'm getting at, is that its a universe that does no exist in any game form. I'm basically speculating that there is two timelines, both with an ultimate weapon. The GBA-DS-XY timeline has an ultimate weapon fired with the power of Xerneas/Yveltal, where the ORAS-XZYZ timeline would have the UW powered by Zygarde. The differences are like I said, one had a much smaller effect, producing Mega Evolution only in Kalos, where as the Zygarde powered one was much more serious, spreading mega evolution to the world, and reducing Zygarde's power greatly, by having its cells spread throughout the world.
This woulf explain the discrepancy between XY and ORAS, with mega evolutopn going from a Kalos thing to a worldwide phenomena

That's what I said, she was mentioning a timeline that could possibly exist. What I'm getting at, is that its a universe that does no exist in any game form. I'm basically speculating that there is two timelines, both with an ultimate weapon. The GBA-DS-XY timeline has an ultimate weapon fired with the power of Xerneas/Yveltal, where the ORAS-XZYZ timeline would have the UW powered by Zygarde. The differences are like I said, one had a much smaller effect, producing Mega Evolution only in Kalos, where as the Zygarde powered one was much more serious, spreading mega evolution to the world, and reducing Zygarde's power greatly, by having its cells spread throughout the world.
This would explain the discrepancy between XY and ORAS, with mega evolutopn going from a Kalos thing to a worldwide phenomena
So basically, this would be your way of solving the continuity problem? I mean, I like the idea, but Zinnia's words clearly imply one world with and one without an ultimate weapon. That means, the ultimate weapon was never, ever built in Non-Mega Universe, which means that XY can only be a part of a shared universe with ORAS.

Okay I found something interesting on Serebii.
In an interview with the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper, the launch roll-out for Pokémon GO has been revealed. In this interview, Tsunekazu Ishihara, head of the Pokémon Company, says that the app will rollout in Japan, Europe and North America first and then later launch in South America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. No date has been revealed as of yet. In this interview, Mr. Ishihara also stated that they are working on another big project away from Pokémon GO.

Another big project? Could it be...?

So basically, this would be your way of solving the continuity problem? I mean, I like the idea, but Zinnia's words clearly imply one world with and one without an ultimate weapon. That means, the ultimate weapon was never, ever built in Non-Mega Universe, which means that XY can only be a part of a shared universe with ORAS.
I guess a 3rd version which just does all that I said would make more sense then, eh? I make things too complicated sometimes.

A big project? If that's a confirmation of main games coming..
Edit: A Direct should be coming by next week or the weeks end. I wonder....

Last edited:
This woulf explain the discrepancy between XY and ORAS, with mega evolutopn going from a Kalos thing to a worldwide phenomena

Oh, that old one line of dialogue?

But you'd be fixing a contradiction with another contradiction... Zinnia was phrasing it hypothetically to sound philosophical, but she did say that she and her people had seen the other Hoenn through the distortions in the world. She knows that RSE Hoenn is real and that its version of history never saw a war in Kalos. She wasn't just talking about a "possible" timeline. If she were, then her whole stance is bunk. There could be infinite possible timelines and they all could have an even chance of being less, just as, or even more prepared to deal with the threat of a meteor. No, she is certain about RSE Hoenn and its less-advanced technology.

Aside from all of that, I think the basic tenet of your idea, with the weapon reducing Zygarde's power and splitting it into its cells is fine and actually fairly interesting. Although it also begs the small question of why Zygarde is in 50% Forme even in X/Y, if indeed the weapon is what put it into that state.

And really, my thing isn't that I would even mind seeing another story in Kalos. If that's what we get, then I'll be fine with it. It's not my preferred nor my predicted outcome, but sometimes I think I give off the impression that I just hate the idea outright. I really just want to be clear that I don't have any problem with more Kalos. I simply don't think it's where we're headed, at least not fully.

Another big project? Could it be...?

If it's not, then I really have to wonder just how many bloody spin-offs can they make?

Last edited:
I don't think its another spinoff. Creatures is doing Detective Pikachu, Pokken is coming out next month, and Chunsoft gave us the biggest PMD yet only a couple of months ago. Pokemon Go meanwhile is as big as it can get besides the main series honestly.

If he is comfortable to confirm something is in the works, an announcement has to be coming, and soon.

Big project? If they're teasing its existence, it can't be far off being revealed, whatever it is. Fingers crossed for a main game.

I wonder what the chances are of a Pokemon Day reveal.

Big project? If they're teasing its existence, it can't be far off being revealed, whatever it is. Fingers crossed for a main game.

I wonder what the chances are of a Pokemon Day reveal.
I'd say Pokemon Day was always the big "if anything is gonna be revealed, its going to be then" possibility.

To go along with my idea of an ultimate weapon that scattered the cells throughout the world idea, I wonder if we can have a postleague that involves all the regions. I've posted this idea before, but I finally refined it to a damn good idea. Basically, I've speculated on travelling to the regions with the Hoopa Rings, transporting you to varioud key areas and what not. What I am adding to this is that instead of finding the rings and travelling to a secluded closed off area, there is an entire Hoopa Region to travel. Its a best of region, with 5 areas based on past regions. Small clumps of the various regions, connected by the portals. Or instead, one minute you're in goldenrod, and instead of going through a gate to route 35 and the national park, you go through a ring and end up in Route 10 of Unova. You can use fly to traverse obviously, but not soar throughout this glued together region, and track down the cells that were scattered throughout the world.

The wording might be misleading, but I wouldn't call another Kalos game a "big project" when it should be treated as the culmination of an existing project. Go will be supported for years, while Generation VI is unlikely to be extended beyond 2017 no matter what they do. They can't just refer to any main series game as a "big project" if the release schedule is almost annual.

The way Ishihara brought it up in the context of Go also implies a connection, which we know Masuda wanted.

The wording might be misleading, but I wouldn't call another Kalos game a "big project" when it should be treated as the culmination of an existing project. Go will be supported for years, while Generation VI is unlikely to be extended beyond 2017 no matter what they do. They can't just refer to any main series game as a "big project" if the release schedule is almost annual.

The way Ishihara brought it up in the context of Go also implies a connection, which we know Masuda wanted.
That's about as flaky as my claim that Magearna is part of gen 6 because its the "latest" mythical. And the wording, Away from go, could mean aside from go, which even then means the two can be unrelated. As for another Kalos game not being big enough, you never know. We're heading towards SOMETHING, and the region everything is taking place in is Kalos, where a lot of questions are left unaswered, with new ones piling up everyday. Who says Kalos DOESN'T have a bigger part in the world of Pokemon, perhaps as big as the region that gave birth to the series?

To me it sounded like they wanted fans to know that GO isn't the main event of 2016 and that there's a different main project for us to look forward to. Naturally, whatever it is, whether it is straightforward gen 6, 6.5 or gen 7, it is likely that GO will be able to connect to it in some way so it doesn't really make any of those more or less likely.

Who says Kalos DOESN'T have a bigger part in the world of Pokemon, perhaps as big as the region that gave birth to the series?
Kalos is no more important than the four regions that preceded it, let alone Kanto. And Ishihara didn't say anything about the XYZ series or whatever you think reinforces Kalos' continued relevance.

Tsutarja said:
Naturally, whatever it is, whether it is straightforward gen 6, 6.5 or gen 7, it is likely that GO will be able to connect to it in some way so it doesn't really make any of those more or less likely.
Mitchman's theory is that Go won't connect to the next game (despite Masuda saying that he was considering just that) so that mobile users don't have an incentive to buy a 3DS before the subsequent transition to the NX. Makes sense, right?

Last edited:
Its the long term to consider then the short term. Nintendo is more then likely in no mood to have TPCi hanging on to the 3DS with their cross platform project involving it when their own involves the NX. Where is the fallacy in considering that the Go initiative should be something started on the NX, alongside the rest of Nintendo's cross platform incentived to get the mobile crowd onto their own platforms? Miitomo and the other 4 are going to be Trojan Horses, and there is no way in hell they are going to let their flagship handheld title do their own thing for the 3DS instesd of the NX, and just sit on their hands till 2019 when Pokemon would finally jump ship to the NX handheld. Its poor business, cut and dry.

It's poor business to release Go before the (alleged) last 3DS game if they want to tie it exclusively to NX games. Your opinion that Game Freak have to accommodate the NX as soon as possible is simply not supported by their history.

It seems that Serebii's paraphasing doesn't tell the whole story. According to a Japanese fansite, Ishihara's wording could be taken to mean that the unannounced project is bigger than Go. The conjuction that was used makes it uncertain that the second project is necessarily bigger rather than equally big, but I would think Ishihara would be more careful with the implication if he didn't mean it. He also says that he wants the world of the main series to continue being interesting.

Last edited:
Okay, then maybe you should look at it from a different angle. Despite the worldwide releases and broadening of the franchise, the main market for Pokemon is Japan. Always has and always will be. With America and Europe slated for the main launch regions, and the focus it has been getting for the anniversary, its becoming clear that Go is a more western focused project. With this in mind, look towards the connectivity portiin of things. If go has substantial bonuses for the main game, would it not be logical for it to be available in all countried first, as to not create disadvantages? And lastly, we have no idea when go is coming. It could be before the next games for America and Europe, but after for the rest of the world. Why not wait till the next games, were it will likely be available worldwide by then?

As for GF's history, its not exactly roses and peached for their relationship with Nintendo. There was obvioud tension with B2W2 on the DS. Kimishima is not Iwata, and there is a lot riding on the next hardware cycle.

Am I missing something with the NX? Everyone's acting like it's coming out this year, but there's been no indication that that's the case. Even if it did come out this year, like Silktree said, it's unlikely that there'll be a main series game on it for some time. Not to mention, Game Freak has been pumping out main series games every year since Platinum in 2008, which was not the case prior to its release. Maybe, after gen VI's finished, Game Freak will take a break. Quality over quantity and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom