• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Future Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sequels are a lot more realistic than 6.5, I think. I am not putting them in the same bag. And Z could still be a sequel.
But wouldn't sequels take more effort?

You say 6.5 would be harder for GF, as in, it would require more time and effort, but then you say a Z sequel is perfectly manageable?

I don't get it.

But wouldn't sequels take more effort?

You say 6.5 would be harder for GF, as in, it would require more time and effort, but then you say a Z sequel is perfectly manageable?

I don't get it.
A normal Z would take less time and effort than sequels in BW2 style. But sequels would still take a lot less time and effort than 6.5 (an entire Southern Kalos, or Germany, Spain, etc, brand new Pokemon, and brand new Megas).

Expanding Kalos a bit is easier than a whole new Sub region, or region. And designing new Megas only, is easier than designing new Megas AND brand new Pokemon from scratch (which you would want to save for the brand new generation coming soon btw).

True but most thesis that aren't Pokémon Z are relying on circumstantial evidence. We can all just say that Pokémon Z is coming and be done with it ( and while that can still happen mind you ) I feel that if they really wanted to do a Z version it would've been out last year as it really would just be XY with Zygarde forms and whatever Ash Greninja is and more mega evolutions. My gut tells me that it's going to be a grand surprise whether it's Gen 7 or something else.
how do you know? there really is no limits to what a third game has to be. there are general guiding principles, but they can vary in their structure. also it doesn't matter if you 'feel that if they really wanted to do a Z it would've been out last year'; they've taken gaps before. the choice to skip 2015 was probably to have a main series game out in the year of the 20th anniversary.
I honestly don't see why anyone would expect them to revert back to third versions after the success they pulled with the sequels.
that's silly. following your thinking, why bother making a remake that isn't as content-stuffed as HGSS after their great success? not to mention BW2 barely sold more than previous third installments: less than 200,000 more copies than Platinum and about 1.5 million over Emerald. neither of that reads as a big success, not least big enough to merit not doing a third game because of how 'well' BW2 did. not to mention BW2 are still just third games anyways, just a slightly different coat of paint.

that's silly. following your thinking, why bother making a remake that isn't as content-stuffed as HGSS after their great success?
You can't even compare remakes to third versions. There's a completely different kind of appeal to remakes than there is to third versions.

not to mention BW2 barely sold more than previous third installments: less than 200,000 more copies than Platinum and about 1.5 million over Emerald. neither of that reads as a big success, not least big enough to merit not doing a third game because of how 'well' BW2 did.
I would appreciate it if you could link me to a legit source in regards to the game sales.

not to mention BW2 are still just third games anyways, just a slightly different coat of paint.
Oh yes, new plot, new characters, new features, new locations and most importantly, a completely new plot that isn't just a poor rehash of the plot of the original games.

But you can call it whatever you like, if it pleases you that much.

Speaking of Volcanion, I also seem to be one of the few who doesn't want it to get a form or anything else. I think it's fine the way it is. They can do whatever they want with Magearna though, I don't care about that as much.

I'm in the same boat. I don't want Volcanion to gain another form, nor do I think that it will now with Magearna in the picture.

Third versions are not inferior because Emerald and Platinum were great. However, sequels are better because you can have one to replay and another to store shiny and other pokemon. I would a new pair of games to end gen 6.

Emerald and Platinum were good games but they were still just "director's cuts" of their respective generations' initial pairs. B2/W2 were significantly different in terms of gameplay experience from B/W. So it's not really that people wouldn't buy another "third version"; rather, we just know that they are capable of doing more innovative/productive things with the format now.

how do you know? there really is no limits to what a third game has to be. there are general guiding principles, but they can vary in their structure. also it doesn't matter if you 'feel that if they really wanted to do a Z it would've been out last year'; they've taken gaps before. the choice to skip 2015 was probably to have a main series game out in the year of the 20th anniversary.

that's silly. following your thinking, why bother making a remake that isn't as content-stuffed as HGSS after their great success? not to mention BW2 barely sold more than previous third installments: less than 200,000 more copies than Platinum and about 1.5 million over Emerald. neither of that reads as a big success, not least big enough to merit not doing a third game because of how 'well' BW2 did. not to mention BW2 are still just third games anyways, just a slightly different coat of paint.
Actually I'm quite curious where you stand in all this Diego? Though I'm still a new around here I've noticed you play devil's advocate alot to the other members theories. Share your own views on how this will all play out and what GF is cooking up.

However, you have to ask yourself why something as important to the franchise as a main-series entry fans are extremely for being released in the franchise's anniversary year wouldn't be worthy of a Nintendo Direct showing, yet the likes of Pokémon Link Battle and Picross are.

That's something only Nintendo or TCPi could answer. Whatever the case, based on their track record on announcing main series news, it's unlikely we'll see an announcement.

Oh yes, new plot, new characters, new features, new locations and most importantly, a completely new plot that isn't just a poor rehash of the plot of the original games.
new characters doesn't disqualify it from being a third version: Juan and Scott were introduced in Emerald as were Charon and Looker in Platinum. new features is also a non-factor: Emerald introduced two trainers being able to spot you at once as well as the Battle Tents and Match Call. new locations? Distortion World, Battle Frontier, Desert Underpass. you're trying to tell me BW2's plot isn't a poor rehash of BW? it's Ghetsis trying to take over the world using a piece of the Original Dragon. it's the same basic gist, but it's really the only part that doesn't fall inline with typical third versions.

BW2 are bigger than Emerald and Platinum, but still third games nonetheless. if you were to slap Gray/Grey on it and removed overt references to passage of time-- any other references to BW would be just Easter Eggs or attributable to the multiverse--, it would be just as believable.
You can't even compare remakes to third versions. There's a completely different kind of appeal to remakes than there is to third versions.
it's the same general principle: if a certain model is supposed to be superior (more content-packed/less 'faithful' remakes; more expansive third versions), there is no reason for a company (Game Freak) to return to the 'inferior' model (faithful remakes; less expansive third versions).
I would appreciate it if you could link me to a legit source in regards to the game sales.
for the sources, i used Wikipedia for the numbers. VGChartz has slightly more recent numbers and has BW2 beating Emerald by 1.81m and Platinum by 500k. for as 'big' as they were, they should still sell more.

Actually I'm quite curious where you stand in all this Diego? Though I'm still a new around here I've noticed you play devil's advocate alot to the other members theories. Share your own views on how this will all play out and what GF is cooking up.
in order of most to least likely: 'standard' Zygarde-centric Kalos third game*, Gen VII, *endless void*, Gen 6.5 and its permutations, Gen VII with substantial ties to Gen VI a la Gen II.

* - note: this still leaves a fair amount of possibilities given my general stance on third-games.

Last edited:
new characters doesn't disqualify it from being a third version: Juan and Scott were introduced in Emerald as were Charon and Looker in Platinum. new features is also a non-factor: Emerald introduced two trainers being able to spot you at once as well as the Battle Tents and Match Call. new locations? Distortion World, Battle Frontier, Desert Underpass. you're trying to tell me BW2's plot isn't a poor rehash of BW? it's Ghetsis trying to take over the world using a piece of the Original Dragon. it's the same basic gist, but it's really the only part that doesn't fall inline with typical third versions.

BW2 are bigger than Emerald and Platinum, but still third games nonetheless. if you were to slap Gray/Grey on it and removed overt references to passage of time-- any other references to BW would be just Easter Eggs or attributable to the multiverse--, it would be just as believable.

it's the same general principle: if a certain model is supposed to be superior (more content-packed/less 'faithful' remakes; more expansive third versions), there is no reason for a company (Game Freak) to return to the 'inferior' model (faithful remakes; less expansive third versions).

for the sources, i used Wikipedia for the numbers. VGChartz has slightly more recent numbers and has BW2 beating Emerald by 1.81m and Platinum by 500k. for as 'big' as they were, they should still sell more.

in order of most to least likely: 'standard' Zygarde-centric Kalos third game*, Gen VII, *endless void*, Gen 6.5 and its permutations, Gen VII with substantial ties to Gen VI a la Gen II.

* - note: this still leaves a fair amount of possibilities given my general stance on third-games.
See now this is good we're having a legitimate conversation about the future of Pokémon. Now what do you think this Z version will do in terms of content? The anime at the moment is all about Zygarde and Ash Greninja with the latter stated to run on energy that's similar to mega evolution so how do you figure these concepts will work in the next games?

Last edited:
That's something only Nintendo or TCPi could answer. Whatever the case, based on their track record on announcing main series news, it's unlikely we'll see an announcement.
People will buy z regardless.

People won't do the same for random spinoffs

See bow this is good we're having a legitimate conversation about the future of Pokémon. Now what do you think this Z version will do in terms of content? The anime at the moment is all about Zygarde and Ash Greninja with the latter stated to run on energy that's similar to mega evolution so how do you figure these concepts will work in the next games?
i don't really know what it's gonna do for content. third versions don't really have a uniform style of changes from their original pair. given the size of Kalos, i don't really expect it to get more areas. there may be a small (like one or two routes/one or two towns or cities) addition, perhaps even a Nature Preserve-type location, but that'd be about it. and that would be in a sort of best most likely case scenario.

for Zygarde, i imagine that 50% acts as its base and only 10% and 100%/complete/perfect/whatever are battle modes. i don't think neither the cores nor cells are 'battle' Pokemon. for 10% i see it working as a sort of Origin Form Giratina/Sky Form Shaymin-type change where its base stats are rearranged/specialized (likely into speed and attack, maybe special attack). maybe 10% will lose 100 BST; i still think it'd keep its stats specialized though. 100% Zygarde will probably serve as a Mega Evolution-type stat increase.

Greninjash is anime-only and serves to give Ash a Mega Evolution-level power increase without having to give him Mega Evolution. perhaps Alain will play a bigger role in XYZ's anime as we go forward. i neither care about nor watch the anime all that much.

Magearna is probably the 600 BST/100-all pixie from Gen VI.

Last edited:
Strange as it may seem, I only have one matter to comment on from a few posts back:
Besides, it's not as if Nintendo Directs are western-only - they're broadcast worldwide (including Japan) simultaneously; so an announcement there would be the same as a global announcement.
There are a rare few exceptions, like Japanese-only Directs and the odd Australian-exclusive Nintendo Direct (this one, if you guys recall, announced the date of the New Nintendo 3DS for us in the land of oz), and sometimes the content varies by region (which is why it's hosted by someone local when it comes to these regional differences), but in general, I very much agree that a Pokémon game announcement would be broadcast globally.

Greninjash is anime-only and serves to give Ash a Mega Evolution-level power increase without having to give him Mega Evolution. perhaps Alain will play a bigger role in XYZ's anime as we go forward. i neither care about nor watch the anime all that much.

You know, even though I am normally opposed to "anime poisoning" in the games, I feel like it would be a little odd to exclude Ash-Greninja but include Zygarde's forms. They're both very distinctive changes, and were treated with about the same level of importance upon announcement. Plus, they were both included in Picross. And, on a personal note, I think Ash-Greninja is pretty cool looking (although I don't watch the anime), and the lore behind the mechanism of its transformation is rather fascincating to me. I quite like having one- or two-off "exceptions" or "variants" to larger concepts, like Primal Reversion is to Mega Evolution.

But, I definitely could see it remaining within the realm of the anime. The most obvious throughline of its asthetic is effectively meaningless in the games. :p

Last edited:
You know, even though I am normally opposed to "anime poisoning" in the games, I feel like it would be a little odd to exclude Ash-Greninja but include Zygarde's forms. They're both very distinctive changes, and were treated with about the same level of importance upon announcement. Plus, they were both included in Picross. And, on a personal note, I just think Ash-Greninja is pretty cool looking (despite the fact that I don't watch the anime), and the lore behind the mechanism of its transformation is rather fascincating to me. I quite like having one- or two-off "exceptions" or "variants" to larger concepts, like Primal Reversion is to Mega Evolution.

But, I definitely could see it remaining within the realm of the anime. The most obvious throughline of its asthetic is effectively meaningless in the games. :p
i like one-off concepts....until it becomes a clutter or slippery slope of twenty same-idea-but-different-name concepts. that being said, i probably would've slowly warmed up to the idea of Greninjash being non-anime exclusive, however it really does just seem like a way to give Ash Mega Evolution/Mega Evolution-level of power without having to actually give it to him (and then need him to have it every other season). i think it's XY105, Alain has a device that shows that Greninjash gives off energy levels equivalent to a Mega Evolution, but (obviously based off of the information from the games thus far) it isn't one. so that, to me, definitely reads very special loop-hole for Ash.

it could always be a Spikey-Eared Pichu type event though.

Although its not the main topic at hand, how the hell is B2W2 a third version, to the extent that you can slap gray on there and it won't make a difference? I usuaully get into Shield Stance when people critisize Gen 5,but this has to be the best baseless claim ever posted. You know how much you have to change to make it a third vetsion, or omit?
-Cheren and Bianca follow their career paths based on the ending of BW.
-Iris becomes champion after BW.
-Ghetsis has become a bitter egomaniacal loon who had to go into hiding for fear of being arrested, and now wants nothing to do with Unova. Appearing before him triggers some PSTD of the first games' events, to thd point that he just wants to kill you and be done with his plan.
- Because of Hilbert and Hilda.
- N comes back with the dragon he bonded with at the end of BW.
- Pokemon variety is off the charts because of the Poketransporter glitching in the post league of BW.
- Alder stepping down because of the events, much like the Straiton Trio.
-Desert Resort being almost completed, Clay finally builds a mine under twist mountain, and all the changes to the region.
- All the memory links.

I would love to see how a 3rd version csn do all this without being a sequel. There is a reason why they are called third versions. They are essentially the same game with new features and deeper charactetization for some key charsctets, along with the trio master being the main plot mcguffin instead of the the other two. B2W2 instead is a sequel, not in anyway the same game as BW. The difference is there.

Which is why I alsp find it hard to see 3rd versions eturning. Such a huge step forward with B2W2, giving GF the option to have a multigame plot that they could actually plan for. The difference with this gen is thst with BW, they never planned sequels, which is also why some stuff never got resolved. Now that they have done B2W2, I can see them going into XY with one of the goals being to create s fufilling plot that can be given a sequel. And I pretty sure that is exactly what they are doing, XY left a lot more open then BW. It was a prequel in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
I honestly don't really see Game Freak backtracking to 3rd versions either, even though I don't mind them. If what we're getting turns out to be another Kalos game, I have a feeling it may be sequels or prequels. And if it's none of those, I think it may not be just a generic 3rd version... although, I'm having a really hard time trying to think of ways on how it can be a "3rd version" but totally different than its 3rd version predecessors. That may be where the Gen 6.5 thing with a Southern Kalos comes in, I don't know.

I do feel certain though that if what we were getting was another generic 3rd version, it probably would have been released sometime last year. Whatever it is we're getting, they sure seem to be taking their time on it.

I can see Z happening just because of Game Freak's tendency to not bring back features that are well loved, like day and night (which did eventually return) and the difficulty keys. Even in generations a feature might be limited to one region, such as following Pokemon in HGSS but not DPPt, and customization in ORAS but not XY.

Every generation, Game Freak discusses the difficulties of making the current games or generation feel unique. So I can see them saying that sequels in the place of the third version was unique to gen V and they want to do something new - they've done that sort of thing many times.

But there's really only two things we can say about Game Freak - they like making patterns, and they like breaking them. So I think, at this stage, Z is more likely than X2Y2, but I'll be disappointed if that is, in fact, the case.

EDIT: now I'm thinking that Z might not be that likely either. They could do something altogether unexpected, like merging sequels and the third version, or prequels, and have it be unique or whatever to this gen. I really wish they would just announce something already!

I do feel certain though that if what we were getting was another generic 3rd version, it probably would have been released sometime last year. Whatever it is we're getting, they sure seem to be taking their time on it.
Agreed.

I feel like if we were getting just a standard third version, it would have been revealed by now. The very fact that new Zygarde forms were revealed prior to any game announcement makes it obvious that is not the case because GF wouldn't want to reveal the game title before it is actually announced. At the very last, we should not expect a generic third version - the anime already made it super obvious by the addition of Z which definitely means it is unlikely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom