• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Future Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, how many Megas and other formes do you think Z will add?

XY added around 28 Megas I think?

ORAS added around 20 Megas, plus the two Primals? (plus the Cosplay Pikachu formes) And Hoopa Alternate Forme.

How many new forms should we expect for a potential Kalos game?

I'm kind of expecting them to add ~20 Mega Evolutions or an alternate type of it just like in OR/AS.

So far we have Greninja... We'd need Delphox and Chesnaught. I'm guessing other additions would be Pyroar (because of Lysandre) and Luxray (because of Clemont in the anime). Other than those it'll be a guessing game unless they want to give Tierno Mega Crawdaunt and Trevor Mega Raichu or Florges.

Guys, how many Megas and other formes do you think Z will add?

XY added around 28 Megas I think?

ORAS added around 20 Megas, plus the two Primals? (plus the Cosplay Pikachu formes) And Hoopa Alternate Forme.

How many new forms should we expect for a potential Kalos game?
Around 40-50, the metaphorical mega floodgates will open I gander. They would have almost 2 years to develop the games if theh do come, about the time since B2W2 came out till ORAS, which I would say is a fair guess to how much time we can assume at the least they spent working on em. Of course they could only introduce only 20, but I think they have a lot they want to showcase, and its the final Kalos game, they are gonna want to end on a bang.

Around 40-50, the metaphorical mega floodgates will open I gander. They would have almost 2 years to develop the games if theh do come, about the time since B2W2 came out till ORAS, which I would say is a fair guess to how much time we can assume at the least they spent working on em. Of course they could only introduce only 20, but I think they have a lot they want to showcase, and its the final Kalos game, they are gonna want to end on a bang.

I don't know if they would have that many. There would be a lot of mega stones to collect. I say around 15 mega evolutions would be enough.

That's too much imo, because they would need to save some for the future, but who knows.

However, why do you assume they have been working on a potential Z for two years? Even if Z is coming, which I think it is, I would assume they are spending a lot more time on the next Gen first pair, who's development would have started after ORAS, just like Z.

So most of their creative efforts would be going there, imo. And Z would probably be a B Team project. I am only speculating, but I'd say it's a logical assumption.

Last edited:
Exactly Frozen... that's my point! The Gen 6.5 defenders are using a flawed logic.

"ORAS created incompatibilities with XY, so to solve it, let's create even bigger incompatibility issues by adding brand new Pokemon in Z! Hurray!"

I would imagine that GF will try to keep things consistent, and not make the compatibility gaps even bigger xD
The fandom can be silly at times ( a quick look at some Poketubers will show you that) but I don't think the Gen 6.5 believers are one of them. Yes, it sounds laughable at first but if I came here a decade ago and said that a upcoming generation of Pokémon would feature only seventy two new Pokémon, Mega evolutions ( Like that other monster franchise) that would allow Pokémon like Charizard and Mewtwo to evolve further while saying that Ash would merge with one of his Pokémon, I would be ridiculed , be denounce a troll, and I would be banned on the spot. My point is that many things sound queer at first but sometimes weird things can happen as Gen 6 as a whole has proved and the only reason one would say otherwise is because these bizarre things are a norm now. While I think Generation seven is a awesome thought I feel IMO that it would throw things off because then the anime would be promoting outdated material which could hurt the viewership even more as we'd all be playing the next Gen and not care but a hypothetical Generation 6.5 could fix this as now the anime has more things to work with and the writers can better flush things out and not pull a Best Wishes. This also allows GF to have more time to work on generation seven and flush out their new concepts better and make that generation something special whether it'd be in better writing for the story or just polishing it up to snuff. Will this create connection issues between XY and Oras? Most likely but I doubt they care as those games are considered finished project also indeed people will complain but as you love to say they're just loud online fans in the minority eh? In all seriousness those people will buy the game anyways because it's Pokémon no doubt complaining all the while but if those games can give us some good story telling and offer alot of great things that the other Gen 6 games don't offer than I'll be fine with them.

Last edited:
I don't see why a third version would be considered "not big enough" for a Nintendo Direct considering that we've had things like eShop-only indie games prominently featured. Perhaps not for a franchise-specific Direct, but a general Direct should be fair game. I imagine OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire's frankly half-arsed announcement was a direct result of Nintendo's poor financial results a few days before; with the announcement pushed out to take attention away.

Look at what news actually has been covered in a Nintendo Direct. 2 of them were E3 trailers, 2 of them were for companions apps, and 1 of them was for the debut of a new generation (and the first 3D generation at that). There's a lot more for them to discuss in the games, but the vast majority of it goes uncovered in a Direct format. That's very telling as far as what kind of news gets covered, they only really discuss the main games if it's something huge. Like, series changing news. The announcement of yet another third version is not series changing. The only scenarios I can see them covering the next game in a Direct is if it's Gen 6.5 or something equally surprising. Anything less than that and they probably won't mention it in a Direct, it'll probably be announced and discussed in Japanese media such as CoroCoro like usual.

In November or late October, the TV Tokyo website mentioned the league as one of the main events of the XYZ series in 2016.

If the Team Flare plot isn't resolved by July, which is a sketchy claim to make based on a preliminary poster for an unannounced short, then something else (the Tripokalon quest) will. Four months is too long a time for nothing major to happen.

Airing the league doesn't necessarily mean we're moving onto a new generation. If it's not time for a new generation, they can do whatever they want to fill the gap. We've had filler series at the end of the generation before, there was the Orange Islands in 1st gen, the Battle Frontier in 3rd gen, and the Decolore Islands in 5th gen. They can easily do something similar from then until 2017.

The fandom can be silly at times ( a quick look at some Poketubers will show you that) but I don't think the Gen 6.5 believers are one of them. Yes, it sounds laughable at first but if I came here a decade ago and said that a upcoming generation of Pokémon would feature only seventy two new Pokémon, Mega evolutions ( Like that other monster franchise) that would allow Pokémon like Charizard and Mewtwo to evolve further while saying that Ash would merge with one of his Pokémon, I would be ridiculed , be denounce a troll, and I would be banned on the spot. My point is that many things sound queer at first but sometimes weird things can happen as Gen 6 as a whole has proved and the only reason one would say otherwise is because these bizarre things are a norm now. While I think Generation seven is a awesome thought I feel IMO that it would throw things off because then the anime would be promoting outdated material which could hurt the viewership even more as we'd all be playing the next Gen and not care but a hypothetical Generation 6.5 could fix this as now the anime has more things to work with and the writers can better flush things out and not pull a Best Wishes. This also allows GF to have more time to work on generation seven and flush out their new concepts better and make that generation something special whether it'd be in better writing for the story or just polishing it up to snuff. Will this create connection issues between XY and Oras? Most likely but I doubt they care as those games are considered finished project also indeed people will complain but as you love to say they're just loud online fans in the minority eh? In all seriousness those people will buy the game anyways because it's Pokémon no doubt complaining all the while but if those games can give us some good story telling and offer alot of great things that the other Gen 6 games don't offer than I'll be fine with them.
The difference is, unlike a Generation 6 Z game, a Generation 6.5 Z game would consume a lot more of their time and effort, which would automatically mean less time and effort for Gen VII. And I don't think they would want that.

That's too much imo, because they would need to save some for the future, but who knows.

However, why do you assume they have been working on a potential Z for two years? Even if Z is coming, which I think it is, I would assume they are spending a lot more time on the next Gen first pair, who's development would have started after ORAS, just like Z.

So most of their creative efforts would be going there, imo. And Z would probably be a B Team project. I am only speculating, but I'd say it's a logical assumption.
Whatever game they have beem working on, it definitely has been since ORAS came out. They are always doing stuff for the next games and the ones after. Planning for the next generation always happens from the initial release for example, but the bulk work doesn't start till the middle of the current generation. They likely have started gen 7, but concurrently to the last Kalos iteration, if there is one. And I say two years if it comes out in the traditional September-October period. June would give them roughly 18 months of development which is still a good chunk of time. Especially considering how they already have a region built.

So far we have Greninja... We'd need Delphox and Chesnaught. I'm guessing other additions would be Pyroar (because of Lysandre) and Luxray (because of Clemont in the anime). Other than those it'll be a guessing game unless they want to give Tierno Mega Crawdaunt and Trevor Mega Raichu or Florges.

I'd love to see Delphox go full on witch in its Mega. Give it a long fur cloack, a hat of fur and turn its wand into a broom. It could even sit on the broom in its 3D model. Unrealistic but it'd be fun.

Florges would make for a gorgeous mega too. It looks pretty complete already, though.

Whatever game they have beem working on, it definitely has been since ORAS came out. They are always doing stuff for the next games and the ones after. Planning for the next generation always happens from the initial release for example, but the bulk work doesn't start till the middle of the current generation. They likely have started gen 7, but concurrently to the last Kalos iteration, if there is one. And I say two years if it comes out in the traditional September-October period. June would give them roughly 18 months of development which is still a good chunk of time. Especially considering how they already have a region built.
Even then, Gen VII would still take most of their time and efforts, leaving less time and effort for Z. Just saying.

Look at what news actually has been covered in a Nintendo Direct. 2 of them were E3 trailers, 2 of them were for companions apps, and 1 of them was for the debut of a new generation (and the first 3D generation at that). There's a lot more for them to discuss in the games, but the vast majority of it goes uncovered in a Direct format. That's very telling as far as what kind of news gets covered, they only really discuss the main games if it's something huge. Like, series changing news. The announcement of yet another third version is not series changing. The only scenarios I can see them covering the next game in a Direct is if it's Gen 6.5 or something equally surprising. Anything less than that and they probably won't mention it in a Direct, it'll probably be announced and discussed in Japanese media such as CoroCoro like usual.
The Nintendo Direct format has only existed long enough to cover Generation 6, of which there have only been two main-series paired releases. A 1:1 ratio isn't really enough evidence to justify what won't be covered; especially when even small-scale eShop-only spin-offs have been featured. Besides, it's not as if Nintendo Directs are western-only - they're broadcast worldwide (including Japan) simultaneously; so an announcement there would be the same as a global announcement. Besides, CoroCoro hasn't been used to announce a new main-series game since Platinum.

if Hoopa Unbound can be added to another game in the same generation without appearing in the prior game, i don't really see how Magearna is any different. now, if Magearna were not a mythical Pokemon, that'd be a different story.

ultimately the 6.5 theory is predicated on too much speculation and circumstantial evidence, which is why i think it's unlikely.

The Nintendo Direct format has only existed long enough to cover Generation 6, of which there have only been two main-series paired releases. A 1:1 ratio isn't really enough evidence to justify what won't be covered; especially when even small-scale eShop-only spin-offs have been featured. Besides, it's not as if Nintendo Directs are western-only - they're broadcast worldwide (including Japan) simultaneously; so an announcement there would be the same as a global announcement. Besides, CoroCoro hasn't been used to announce a new main-series game since Platinum.

First of all, Nintendo Directs actually were around for BW2 and they announced the Dream Radar. Second, it's not just about the game announcements, it's about all of the other news for the game. For other Nintendo published games they have no problem giving updates on new mechanics every so often, to the point where the same game can be covered 2 or 3 times in its news cycle. But for whatever reason, they don't do this with Pokemon. There's so many things in XY and ORAS' news cycle that they could cover, rideable Pokemon, Mega Evolution, the PSS, the Pokenav Plus, Soaring, etc. If it were any other game they would mention this kind of stuff in Directs, but for Pokemon it never gets covered, they only mention it in CoroCoro and Pokemon.com site updates. For whatever reason, the only main series news that's been covered is the announcement of a new generation, E3 trailers, and companion apps, pretty much only the major headlines of the series. They didn't even mention ORAS at all except at E3. If that's all they've even bothered to cover then it's highly unlikely they'll be bringing up business as usual.

Last edited:
The difference is, unlike a Generation 6 Z game, a Generation 6.5 Z game would consume a lot more of their time and effort, which would automatically mean less time and effort for Gen VII. And I don't think they would want that.
And they would want to put out an inferior game and hope to draw customers?

I honestly don't see why anyone would expect them to revert back to third versions after the success they pulled with the sequels.

if Hoopa Unbound can be added to another game in the same generation without appearing in the prior game, i don't really see how Magearna is any different. now, if Magearna were not a mythical Pokemon, that'd be a different story.

ultimately the 6.5 theory is predicated on too much speculation and circumstantial evidence, which is why i think it's unlikely.
True but most thesis that aren't Pokémon Z are relying on circumstantial evidence. We can all just say that Pokémon Z is coming and be done with it ( and while that can still happen mind you ) I feel that if they really wanted to do a Z version it would've been out last year as it really would just be XY with Zygarde forms and whatever Ash Greninja is and more mega evolutions. My gut tells me that it's going to be a grand surprise whether it's Gen 7 or something else.

I honestly don't see why anyone would expect them to revert back to third versions after the success they pulled with the sequels.

Third versions are not inferior because Emerald and Platinum were great. However, sequels are better because you can have one to replay and another to store shiny and other pokemon. I would a new pair of games to end gen 6.

First of all, Nintendo Directs actually were around for BW2 and they announced the Dream Radar. Second, it's not just about the game announcements, it's about all of the other news for the game. For other Nintendo published games they have no problem giving updates on new mechanics every so often, to the point where the same game can be covered 2 or 3 times in its news cycle. But for whatever reason, they don't do this with Pokemon. There's so many things in XY and ORAS' news cycle that they could cover, rideable Pokemon, Mega Evolution, the PSS, the Pokenav Plus, Soaring, etc. If it were any other game they would mention this kind of stuff in Directs, but for Pokemon it never gets covered, they only mention it in CoroCoro and Pokemon.com site updates. For whatever reason, the only main series news that's been covered is the announcement of a new generation, E3 trailers, and companion apps, pretty much only the major headlines of the series. If that's all they've even bothered to cover then it's highly unlikely they'll be bringing up business as usual.
You're right - after double checking it, the first Nintendo Direct was broadcast in December 2011; 3 months before the announcement of Black Version 2/White Version 2. However, you have to ask yourself why something as important to the franchise as a main-series entry fans are extremely for being released in the franchise's anniversary year wouldn't be worthy of a Nintendo Direct showing, yet the likes of Pokémon Link Battle and Picross are. Since the Pokémon Direct that announced X/Y, every global-bound game has at least been featured in a Direct aside from Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (and honestly, I'd vastly prefer the buzz of a Direct over dumping a trailer onto YouTube). It's just as likely that The Pokémon Company will announce the next game by themselves, but I personally wouldn't rule out the possibility of a Direct announcement yet; especially considering Nintendo's bare release slate at the moment.

Sequels are a lot more realistic than 6.5, I think. I am not putting them in the same bag. And Z could still be a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom