• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Too easy

I had my exp. share on the whole time but my pokemon were still the same level/lower than the E4's & Champion's

Maybe just a tad easier

The game switched EXP sharing through division and level differences in favor of generating even more EXP. The fix: turn EXP Share off, and/or run away a lot
Super Training and Amie also granted their bonuses, but we've never needed them before (and if you're my brother, you never even saw them. He beat the game before me.)

That said, I enjoyed myself anyway. They didn't necessarily take any fun out of the game.

...You can only assume the worst in people, can't you? I've yet to see you say anything positive about X and Y, and yet you still bought the game. Logic.

Says the one assuming the worst in people. Because we all know we all form opinions before we buy our games, and if we don't like the game afterwards, we shouldn't have bought in the first place, DURRR.

Just don't use Amie, Lucky Egg or Exp. Share. And if the GLs/E4 are easy, do:

A) Use just as much Pokemon as them. (Doesn't go for E4)

B) Don't use Pokemon with STABs SE on the Gym. Or ban the moves.

C) Shut the hell up and stop complaining. Your using the easy way, so just turn it off. XY is so grindy without the darn share!

What if a kid goes on Challenge Mode, gets stuck, and nobody around them knows the reset code? They have to think about this because kids. You know, the target audience?

Has it ever occurred to you that Walking Pokemon and 3D don't mix well? Half of them would be unable to go to most places, they make cutscenes inconvenient, and all that shtick.

The Lumiose Glitch was unintended. They're working on fixing it. Don't forget your beloved Gen I was glitchy as fudge.

It's because progress. And XY is difficult without the Exp Share or Amie, so that itself is like a challenge mode. The VS Seeker... Well, you've got me there, but the Elite 4 are already Exp Bait. What's the point? All these features take up data, so they have to focus on core gameplay and graphics before gimmicks. Even all the 718 cries, which have to be doubled then altered for fainting and stuff, and the multiplied further for Amie, all the 718 models with their frames, doubled with shinies, not counting formers.

Ooh, and maybe, you know, were too busy working on the plot? I'm guessing that you don't know that word, because Gen I lacked one.

Lol, the game is grindy, oh noooo. An RPG? GRINDY? EGADS, THIS IS TOO DIFFICULT.

Do you really think a kid is that stupid? They made it so you and your friends followed each other fine they can do the same with Pokemon. Lol, assuming there was so much plot to be worked in, given the god awful pacing in this game. Even if they had an interesting plot idea they waste it all with the games terrible pacing. And as we all know, the glitches in RBY were game ending and had the benefit of a large QA team to rule it out before release.

I've turned off the Exp Share about 3/5 through my X copy after realizing catching every Pokemon and battling every trainer made me massively overleveled even with a constantly switching team. I plan to do a Y run with Exp Share off and catching Pokemon restricted to ones I will actually use.

Protip (courtesy of Reila as well): Turn "switch" to "set" in the options for much more dangerous battles. Otherwise the game just feels like a type chart tutorial to me.

You can't blame GameFreak or Nintendo for taking it safe. They want all fans of all ages to be able to play, enjoy and beat Pokemon. There's nothing wrong with that. A valid question may be whether they took it a little too far, and personally, I'm inclined to agree based on my own experience (no pun intended).

I didn't grind in XY (I never do), ignored Poke-Aime and Super Training, rotated team members, and tackled Gyms without key members; by the 6th Gym, when I finally disabled EXP Share, my team's levels were around 12-15 levels higher than those of the Pokemon of most NPCs. I was OHKOing Gym Leaders and later took down Elite Four members without taking a hit; I even had my options set to "Set" over "Shift" throughout.

Now, if you want to self-impose a high level of difficulty, you could disable EXP Share, but the two big problems with that are 1) you're robbing yourself of the only reliable method to train new, underleveled members of your team, since the equippable version of the item no longer exists, and 2) since the experience system itself has gone back to the pre-BW system, weaker Pokemon no longer get a bigger cut of the experience. This leads to larger level disparities within your own party and makes it a hassle to to build a solid, six-member team in which all members participate equally.

I could go on about how many older games in the series (and even some as recent as BW/2) didn't shy away from challenging players during crucial battles, but Pokemon is Pokemon, and of all of Nintendo's games it probably does need to be the one which is the easiest. At the least, though, I think there still should've been a Challenge Mode (maybe hide the option and tuck it away in-game in a way only older gamers could find it and turn it on, so younger ones don't turn it by accident). I don't think this would've been too much to ask.

It wouldn't be to easy if Mr Masuda had kept the damned Challenge Mode and allowed us veterans access from the start.
Has anyone ever had the cahoonies to ask him why he takes out good features that people like, VS Seeker, Pokemon Following behind, Challenge mode.
I'm undecided on whether it's laziness, whether it's so he can reintroduce them later and we'll all be so grateful we'll rush out and buy whatever new product he's peddling, or if it's more simpler than that and just out of pure spite, take your money, then give you a poor product that wipes your save file if you save in the main city, while he laughs his way to the Bank and gets working on his pension fund, or Pokemon Z as I believe it's known.

Inb4 : "oooooh but he put soooo much efwort into making all them nice 3D models" - couldn't be less bothered by 3D models, the novelty died fast, not as fast as the easy playthrough though.

Personal advice time. You're gonna get some flack some of the time for criticizing Pokemon on a fan-run Pokemon-centric message board, especially on a be-all, 100% entirely negative post like this one (and it just so happens that I actually agree with most of your points). So, with this in mind, be careful of how you word posts like this if your intent is to bring up valid criticisms and you want to be taken seriously. Speaking in hyperbole and making implications about the Lumiose glitch and Masuda won't get you anywhere unless you want your post to be buried in a sea of laughter and shrugged off despite any real points you may be trying to make. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Its just funny that GenWunner and others have been moaning and whining about X, Y, Bank and everything under the sun for weeks, if not months, before the games came out. Yet the games came out a whole 10 days ago and it seems like they all purchased it fairly quickly. I guess they'e just mostly doing it for Internet Cred since I guess it's like, bragging rights or something for saying "I said it sucked first!"

Says the one assuming the worst in people. Because we all know we all form opinions before we buy our games, and if we don't like the game afterwards, we shouldn't have bought in the first place, DURRR.

Just don't use Amie, Lucky Egg or Exp. Share. And if the GLs/E4 are easy, do:

A) Use just as much Pokemon as them. (Doesn't go for E4)

B) Don't use Pokemon with STABs SE on the Gym. Or ban the moves.

C) Shut the hell up and stop complaining. Your using the easy way, so just turn it off. XY is so grindy without the darn share!

What if a kid goes on Challenge Mode, gets stuck, and nobody around them knows the reset code? They have to think about this because kids. You know, the target audience?

Has it ever occurred to you that Walking Pokemon and 3D don't mix well? Half of them would be unable to go to most places, they make cutscenes inconvenient, and all that shtick.

The Lumiose Glitch was unintended. They're working on fixing it. Don't forget your beloved Gen I was glitchy as fudge.

It's because progress. And XY is difficult without the Exp Share or Amie, so that itself is like a challenge mode. The VS Seeker... Well, you've got me there, but the Elite 4 are already Exp Bait. What's the point? All these features take up data, so they have to focus on core gameplay and graphics before gimmicks. Even all the 718 cries, which have to be doubled then altered for fainting and stuff, and the multiplied further for Amie, all the 718 models with their frames, doubled with shinies, not counting formers.

Ooh, and maybe, you know, were too busy working on the plot? I'm guessing that you don't know that word, because Gen I lacked one.

Lol, the game is grindy, oh noooo. An RPG? GRINDY? EGADS, THIS IS TOO DIFFICULT.

Do you really think a kid is that stupid? They made it so you and your friends followed each other fine they can do the same with Pokemon. Lol, assuming there was so much plot to be worked in, given the god awful pacing in this game. Even if they had an interesting plot idea they waste it all with the games terrible pacing. And as we all know, the glitches in RBY were game ending and had the benefit of a large QA team to rule it out before release.

I've seen him make nothing but negative comments about Pokemon X and Y and Nintendo all over these threads. He always assumes the worst of Gamefreak, if you've ever seen any of his recent posts then you'll understand what I'm talking about. I haven't assumed anything, I've witnessed. If you do not like a game afterwards, you do something about it, like sell it or atleast stop using it. You do not keep playing it and continue complaining about it on internet forums.

I like Exp. Share and Gamefreak should keep it, they should just give NPCs better AI, potions and tougher Pokemon next game.

game was indeed easy, but as aforementioned by most it is mainly because of the exp share and mega evolutions. there should've been a single exp share item to mimc past items for those who would like to continue with the traditional methods of past generations. no real complaint though since it isnt out of our power to make the game more difficult

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom