• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Upgrade to Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazaking

Former Staff Artist
Reaction score
Well, my machine has the requirements, but I wanted some opinions first.

So basically, should I upgrade to Windows 7, or stick with XP?

Windows 7 has both XP and Vista things inside it from what I hear. It uses a lot less of memory then what Vista would. A lot of people said that if you have XP it would be your choice, and if you have VISTA(like me) it would be a very good upgrade. But in the end I heard a lot of people say it would be a good idea to upgrade if you have XP or Vista.

Honestly it's always your choice, I just cannot stand Vista's shitty security and it hogging up my goddamn RAM. So I'll be upgrading asap. The only thing that's preventing me from doing it tomorrow is the $120. >_>

But you should compare XP with Windows 7 to see if it is worth it.

Windows 7 has both XP and Vista things inside it from what I hear. It uses a lot less of memory then what Vista would. A lot of people said that if you have XP it would be your choice, and if you have VISTA(like me) it would be a very good upgrade. But in the end I heard a lot of people say it would be a good idea to upgrade if you have XP or Vista.

Honestly it's always your choice, I just cannot stand Vista's shitty security and it hogging up my goddamn RAM. So I'll be upgrading asap. The only thing that's preventing me from doing it tomorrow is the $120. >_>

But you should compare XP with Windows 7 to see if it is worth it.

I see...

I do plan to figure out if I want it or not when I go to my cousins house sooner or later. They all have Windows 7, and after browsing through it for a while, I will make my decision.

Well, I've tried the RC of it, and I must say that it's an incremental upgrade to XP, and a HUGE upgrade from Vista. The interface feels more friendly and easier to use. Also, there's virtual machine on it!

You don't have much of a choice. XP's support runs out in a few years. What a racket.

From what I heard, it's awesome. However, XP mode is only in professional and ultimate - 300 USD IIRC.

It's too early to really see. Best results - wait half a year.

If you do upgrade, get Professional which has backwards compatibility with XP programs, Home Premium does not as far as I know. Ultimate has everything.

I am using the Beta now and getting Professional soon as its sent out to me. I found it a big improvement over Vista. It runs smoother for a start, I have only had a few minor startup problems and some older programs act the same on Windows 7 as they do on Vista.

I liked the way that the desktop background image changed from one to the other.

Its far better over XP, but only issue I have had is with Flash not installing properly, but thats really it. And if you find some programs don't run or bring up a message, sometimes if you right click the program and choose "Run as Administrator" they work fine.

Windows 7 to me is what Vista should have been. Its easy like XP to use, but has the modern graphics and looks to it. One handy feature is the search on start menu or on windows, just stsrt typing and it automatically starts searching and in Internet Explorer 8, if a tab page crashes for some reason, it just reloads that tab without losing the other tabs whihc is very good IMO, so the whole internet explorer does not crash when one tab does.

Only one isue with IE8 I have had is that on some forums that use phpbb, when you type alot onto the message before posting, it keeps scrolling up as you type instead of staying focused on what your typing and thats annoying sometimes. It does not happen on here though.

Also I have used DX10 graphics on my Geforce 9800GTX 1GB Graphics and its very very good. Just got to back up my PC now for the new Windows 7.

One last thing, Yahoo Messanger 9 does has not seemed to work on RC Windows 7, not sure if thats fixed on actual version, but I just use version 8 anyway to make sure it works.

You will notice a difference with Windows Defrag, it defrags drives a lot faster. Takes mine about 5 minutes to defrag 5 drives as you can defrag all your drives at once if you wish.

Plus Windows Media Player 12 is very good too, the interface being slightly different from 11, takes a little getting used to.

Once my computer explodes I'll be getting it. Hopefully that gives me another year or so... but who knows with these monsters.

Since my college is getting Windows 7 for cheap, I'm replacing my Vista ASAP. I friggin hate Vista so much so I don't even have to think about the decision. Plus I've only heard good things about Windows 7 so far, which just made the decision even easier.

Haha, I preordered Home Premium for $50 back in August or whatever when they were holding that promo offer just in case this new computer isn't eligible for a free upgrade.

From what I've heard, it's almost necessary if you have Vista (kind of like ME -> XP) but you have some leeway if you're stuck on XP (until support runs out anyway). My computer came with 3GB RAM. Only 1 is available.

Give up and die, Vista.

You don't have much of a choice. XP's support runs out in a few years. What a racket.
2014, I think. And so what? My computer still had 98 on it until a few months ago! (lovely multiboot)
From what I heard, it's awesome. However, XP mode is only in professional and ultimate - 300 USD IIRC.

It's too early to really see. Best results - wait half a year.
So far, all my apps work fine.
If you do upgrade, get Professional which has backwards compatibility with XP programs, Home Premium does not as far as I know. Ultimate has everything.

I am using the Beta now and getting Professional soon as its sent out to me. I found it a big improvement over Vista. It runs smoother for a start, I have only had a few minor startup problems and some older programs act the same on Windows 7 as they do on Vista.

I liked the way that the desktop background image changed from one to the other.

Its far better over XP, but only issue I have had is with Flash not installing properly, but thats really it. And if you find some programs don't run or bring up a message, sometimes if you right click the program and choose "Run as Administrator" they work fine.

Windows 7 to me is what Vista should have been. Its easy like XP to use, but has the modern graphics and looks to it. One handy feature is the search on start menu or on windows, just stsrt typing and it automatically starts searching and in Internet Explorer 8, if a tab page crashes for some reason, it just reloads that tab without losing the other tabs whihc is very good IMO, so the whole internet explorer does not crash when one tab does.

Only one isue with IE8 I have had is that on some forums that use phpbb, when you type alot onto the message before posting, it keeps scrolling up as you type instead of staying focused on what your typing and thats annoying sometimes. It does not happen on here though.

Also I have used DX10 graphics on my Geforce 9800GTX 1GB Graphics and its very very good. Just got to back up my PC now for the new Windows 7.

One last thing, Yahoo Messanger 9 does has not seemed to work on RC Windows 7, not sure if thats fixed on actual version, but I just use version 8 anyway to make sure it works.

You will notice a difference with Windows Defrag, it defrags drives a lot faster. Takes mine about 5 minutes to defrag 5 drives as you can defrag all your drives at once if you wish.

Plus Windows Media Player 12 is very good too, the interface being slightly different from 11, takes a little getting used to.
1.) IE8 prob.
2.) Really? Try 10 beta.
Once my computer explodes I'll be getting it. Hopefully that gives me another year or so... but who knows with these monsters.
My sister's exploded (literally, the hard drive has started smoking... twice.) already and I have 7 RC/Beta (which one's newer?) on there now. It works WAYY better than XP Pro did. I didn't even try Vista Home Premium. If you want, do a dualboot. I can guide you though, if needed.

<---- Ripped off because he bought Vista

Yeah I know how you feel. Hey I know this is a little offtopic, but does Vista ever not install anymore for people? before I got the Windows 7 Beta and RC, I had Windows Vista Home Premium, but my computer messed up and I had to wipe the drive, then from that point on, even though the Windows Vista DVD is fine, no scratches and its legit, it just comes up with some error message "Setup cannot continue" or something when I tried to install it, happend non stop, so I went with Windows 7.

1.) IE8 prob.

Thats what I thought. I use Google Chrome alot of the time anyway

2.) Really? Try 10 beta.

I'll try that when I get my Windows 7 Professional installed.

Yeah I know how you feel. Hey I know this is a little offtopic, but does Vista ever not install anymore for people? before I got the Windows 7 Beta and RC, I had Windows Vista Home Premium, but my computer messed up and I had to wipe the drive, then from that point on, even though the Windows Vista DVD is fine, no scratches and its legit, it just comes up with some error message "Setup cannot continue" or something when I tried to install it, happend non stop, so I went with Windows 7.

Could be a DRM thing.

I purchased Windows 7 Professional back when it was only $99 back in August. I can't wait for it to ship! I'm excited to see the new features in it. I heard Windows 7 was what Vista was suppose to be like but I think I'll still have a multiboot between Windows 2000 and Windows 7 to make sure I can run all my old apps.

My Windows Vista computer will be switching to 7 (...well, has switched to 7 - been running the Beta/RC since back in February). My XP computer, I'm undecided on. I only ever use it for games, so backward compatibility actually matters, kind of.

Wow, just found out that the Australian version of Windows 7 is almost double the price as the version in the US... and people wonder why everyone pirates software in Australia. FFS.

I'm Upgrading as i got my copy of vista when they had the free 7 upgrade for vista owners promotion (since i built a pc).

Also, If you have vista, if you are on lots of ram (2gb or more), there is no real reason to upgrade, as you only see a huge boost on systems with 512mb or 1gb of ram (vista was about as fast as 7 when i ram upgraded from 1gb to 2gb). Also, it is stable if you have SP2.

And lastly, if you are still on a Pentium M or Pentium 4 PC, you can upgrade to 7 and still go fast, though you need 512mb or 1gb of ram for 7 to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom