• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Upgrade to Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using 7 at my cousins' house.

. . .

Epicness prevails. But I'm still torn between whether I want 7 or XP...

XP is good, but when the choice is Vista or 7, 7 is in every way superior.

I upgraded to 7. It works great, but 2 things:
1. All my steam games in the games explorer with no box art now show the steam icon.
2. Windows movie maker is removed when upgrading, back up the C:\Program Files\ Movie Maker folder when upgrading to 7.

Movie Maker can be installed via Windows Live Essentials.

Movie Maker can be installed via Windows Live Essentials.

Wrong. Windows Live Movie Maker can be installed via Windows Live Essentials.

Movie Maker and Live Maker are two almost completely different software. Movie Maker is much more suited for making videos, while Live Maker is more useful for making slideshows.

Anyway, I'm so close to getting 7. The only problem is that my mom won't give me the CD until I complete my school work. T^T

I got it, it came with 64-bit and 32-bit versions. For some reason the 64-bit would not install on my PC. I have a Intel Quad Core 2.6ghz, 4GB PC-8000 RAM, 9800GTX 1GB Graphics, 360GB HD and everything, it should have installed. So now I have Professional 32-bit installed.

You can get movie maker here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...72-328E-4DF7-8F9D-068FC0F80CFC&displaylang=en

I also realies that Yahoo Messanger 10 does work which is good.

XP = Best.

No, XP, ouddated, 7 is best so far.

Only issue I have had is with flash not installing on IE, but then I realied that the version for IE seems to take forever to download and just seems to stick and won't download, which sucks.

Windows 7 takes up 15 GB (THAT'S MORE THAN MY "SHARED" DRIVE BETWEEN LINUX AND XP). I'll upgrade when I: A) get a new computer or B) find out they have a netbook edition.

Actually the 32-bit takes up 16GB and the 64-bit, 20GB, need 1GB RAM minimum for 32-bit and 2GB RAM for 64-bit

Also I read that Microsoft are working on DirectX 11 for Vista and Windows 7, now that should be worth something.

I also prefer the way 7 has desktop gadgets rather than the sidebar of Vista.

Wrong. Windows Live Movie Maker can be installed via Windows Live Essentials.

Movie Maker and Live Maker are two almost completely different software. Movie Maker is much more suited for making videos, while Live Maker is more useful for making slideshows.

Anyway, I'm so close to getting 7. The only problem is that my mom won't give me the CD until I complete my school work. T^T

In that case, do back up Movie Maker, because I hear the one they release with Live sucks terribly (though I personally have never checked it out).

In that case, do back up Movie Maker, because I hear the one they release with Live sucks terribly (though I personally have never checked it out).

You hear right. Its horrible. I'm gonna back-up XP's Movie Maker and download Vista's just incase the Vista lacks something the XP version doesn't.

Ugh.... But now I don't know if I should upgrade or not. I'll have to get all my drivers and stuff re-installed again. Not to mention having to take my PC to my Dad's Studio to get Photoshop re-installed.

If you dual boot, you can keep your install. All it wants is a previous XP install. Here is how.

If you dual boot, you can keep your install. All it wants is a previous XP install. Here is how.

Oh yeah, dual booting with 7 is easy. I actually have 2 installs of Windows 7 on different partitions on this computer (don't ask), and I can boot into either. The only pain is dual booting XP and Vista, because they overwrite each other's bootloaders, and you have to manually restore them. >_>

You don't necessarily have to dual boot to keep WMM though. There are many upgrade paths from Vista to 7, so if your versions fit one of those, you can simply upgrade without worry of reinstalling anything. Even if an upgrade is not compatible, Windows will make a windows.old folder in the install drive that contains anything you might have lost (my install actually restored the majority of the old folders right to their old spots after install even though the upgrade wasn't compatible). Remember though, even though there are a lot of features like this to make things convenient, it's always a good idea to back up what you cannot afford to lose elsewhere, in case something goes wrong.

I don't think I can do dual-boot. I won't have enough space left for anything else....

aach :banghead:
thats torture:banghead::mallet:
Yeah it is. But you know, you shouldn't use so many emoticons. It makes it look sort of spammy.

You hear right. Its horrible. I'm gonna back-up XP's Movie Maker and download Vista's just incase the Vista lacks something the XP version doesn't.

Nope, its the other way around, Vistas has a bit more features and can use HD video, but the formats it can read is the only issue. It can't read M4v, MP4, MOV etc.. but other than that, its good if your not wanting any real fancy stuff.

Anwyone know what I can do, I installed both CDs I got with Windows 7 on two machines, activated one on mine, but didn't realise I could only activate one copy, and on other machine I can't activate it, I can't really afford another copy as I can't even get a job yet, and my Vista and XP CDs no longer get past the Installation screen even though the disks are fine.

I have a question. I run a dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu. Can I upgrade, and keep Ubuntu installed, and just overwrite the Vista part?

Of course you can. Just point the Win7 upgrade at the partition containing Vista--you'll still be able to use the bootloader to get to Ubuntu if you wanted.

Doesn't Windows overwrite the MBR with its own bootloader? You need to reinstall grub2 if that is the case...

I'm not familiar with what boot record Ubuntu uses. The Win7 bootloader is identical to the one used by Vista--if something else is required, then I'd imagine you'd repeat the process over.

Either way, it won't touch the partition with Ubuntu unless you tell it to.

Yes.

((The above is in response to the thread title.))

I'm gonna end up ditching my lappy soon, and I'm definitely upgrading to a Win7 Machine. I like the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom