• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What kind of modification would you give existing moves?

This is awesome. :p

Just so my post isn't spam I'd like to see Spark increase in damage to around 80/85 or so. (That's if there isn't a better physical Electric move next Gen. And don't say Volt Tackle, cos we all know that's limited to Pikachu's line, think about poor Luxray. :p)

THAT'S exactly what I was thinking! I felt sorry for Luxray, he deserved better. (Pikachu/Luxray Volt Tackle WTF)
Back to the topic: I think Seed Flare should get a boost if Shaymin is Poisoned AND it can undue poison from it as well.

Well, it's just that I think a move this powerful should have some major drawbacks.

...I'm saying that if you're going to instate the recharge turn even if the attack misses (which only happens 10% of the time anyway), you should increase its power accordingly.

Otherwise, you're overcompensating, and making the move even worse to use.

Close Combat: Lowers the user Def, SpDef, and Speed one level.
Superpower: Lowers the user Att, Def, and Speed one level.

These moves are over powerful, and 100% accuracy kills.

Again, overcompensating. You can't just shoot down overpowered moves by piling on the drawbacks. They have to make sense, and adding a Speed drop to these moves doesn't.

speaking of focus punch i think it should be affected by inner focus so that when dragonite use's it it always hits but it should keep its low priority

Gamebreaker.

Dark Void needs to do damage.

Gamebreaker.

Earth Power doubles damage if target(s) are underground. Fissure would bypass accuracy checks if Target is underground also.

Dig is already a pretty useless move, and now you want to make it even more worthless? Talk about overkill.

-Hyper Beam and Giga Impact shouldn't recharge IF you make the opponent faint. Only if you hit and it stays alive.

Potentially a gamebreaker. Still risky though.

-Moves like Leafstorm and Draco Meteor should lower your Special Attack and Speed by one stage instead of SpA by 2.

Since that helps slower users of leaf storm and such (like Venusaur), I think that 2 sp attack stages is better.

Since that helps slower users of leaf storm and such (like Venusaur), I think that 2 sp attack stages is better.

Thats the point, we're trying to HELP pokemon(and types) that aren't quite as capable in the Metagame to get a leg up. Albeit Venusaur is pretty good.

Last edited:
I think Draco Meteor/Leaf Storm/Overheat/etc are pretty balanced, if not already broken given that you can slap it on a physically-based mixed sweeper, use said move, cripple something badly with the massive damage they deal, then go in for the kill. Perhaps moreso than the special attack drop, the imperfect accuracy keeps it in check.

I think Draco Meteor/Leaf Storm/Overheat/etc are pretty balanced, if not already broken given that you can slap it on a physically-based mixed sweeper, use said move, cripple something badly, then go in for the kill. More than the special attack drop, the imperfect accuracy keeps it in check.

But look at Close Combat. It lowers your Defenses by 1 stage, but you get a 120 power move with 100% Accuracy. Why do you think it's one of the best moves to have?

Changing the after effects of moves like Draco Meteor and Leaf Storm to lowering your Special Attack and Speed(or one of the defense, or even attack) by one stage each, then it is still not as viable as Close Combat. HOWEVER, It will make both moves better than before and I don't see neither move around unless ins on a mixed sweeper. Right now, I feel bad for the FEW special sweepers in existance.

Potentially a gamebreaker. Still risky though.

Are you kidding me that would break it.

Perhaps moreso than the special attack drop, the imperfect accuracy keeps it in check.

I assume the Draco Meteor/Overheat/LeafStorm/etc. don't lower your Sp.Atk when it misses?

Because then your argument about the imperfect accuracy goes out the window.

Thats the point, we're trying to HELP pokemon(and types) that aren't quite as capable in the Metagame to get a leg up. Albeit Venusaur is pretty good.

Venusaur is one of the top Pokemon in the UU metagame (#2 at the moment). It's also very usable in OU.

Also, Leaf Storm/Overheat/Draco Meteor dropping speed is probably one of the worst things you can do to the Pokemon that learn it.

Slow sweepers are useless sweepers. The point of a sweeper is to hit fast and hard. Without the fast, they can't hope to win. Even the slower sweepers (Torterra, Rhyperior) boost their speed whenever possible. Why do you think Dragon Dance is such a coveted move?

Sure, you could argue that without offensive power, a sweeper is useless too, but here's the thing, one hit from LS/OH/DM is usually enough to kill any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, and that's all the Pokemon needs to do. Mixed sweepers can even use this to hit hard on the switch (thus punching holes into the opponent's team) and proceed to sweep from the physical side.

An easy switch can undo the Sp. Atk drop, and with the right speed, a Pokemon can even attempt to take out the counter. It can also defend itself against some switch ins even after the drop. A drop in speed however, makes them easy to revenge and pretty much forces you to switch, thus putting you on the backfoot, which is not a good spot to be in.

Helping and gamebreaking are two different things. Sure we could make hyper beam an never missing neutral type priority move with 250 base power because it helps pokémon, but that only takes away tactics. Also Venusaur is very common in UU.

Slow sweepers are useless sweepers. The point of a sweeper is to hit fast and hard. Without the fast, they can't hope to win. Even the slower sweepers (Torterra, Rhyperior) boost their speed whenever possible. Why do you think Dragon Dance is such a coveted move?

As long as you have bulk, the slow speed won't matter that much. Or just bringing it in at the right moment and force a switch.

As long as you have bulk, the slow speed won't matter that much. Or just bringing it in at the right moment and force a switch.

I'd venture to call that a tank, not a sweeper. Way I see it, Torterra's a tank (lest you Rock Polish, but then you miss out on Swords Dancing) Sceptile is a sweeper.

speaking of focus punch i think it should be affected by inner focus so that when dragonite use's it it always hits but it should keep its low priority

Gamebreaker.
really how would this be a game breaker? it would be like a fighting version of avalanche for pokemon with the ability except they dont need to get hit, and if you think its a gamebreaker because only some pokemon have the ability, explain how dynamic punch machamp with "no gaurd" is'nt a gamebreaker

Bulk Up - Attack and Defense
Calm Mind - Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense
Dragon Dance - Attack and Speed
Claw Sharpen - Attack and Accuracy (new for B&W)
Cosmic Power - Defense and Sp. Defense
Growth - Attack and Sp. Attack (changed for B&W)
Stockpile - Defense and Sp. Defense
Defend Order - Defense and Sp. Defense
Swords Dance - Attack x2
Nasty Plot - Sp. Attack x2
Tail Glow - Sp. Attack x2
Iron Defense - Defense x2
Amnesia - Sp. Defense x2
Acid Armor - Defense x2
Agility - Speed x2
Rock Polish - Speed x2
Belly Drum - Attack x6

Seems like we're getting beyond the old days of moves increasing only 1-stage of 1 particular stat. So far, Withdraw, Howl, Sharpen, Double Team, Defense Curl, Harden, Meditate, and Minimize are all obsolete in some sense, so it's not ideal to use them. (and yet they keep giving them to Pokemon).

In addition to fleshing out the remaining stat-boost moves with whatever combination is left (Sp. Attack + Speed; Sp. Attack + Accuracy), I think the older attacks should get an added effect specific to each one. Kind of like how using Defense Curl before a Rollout will double its overall power or how Charge used to double the next Electric attack's power only but now can also raise Sp. Defense, they could add a unique combination with existing moves.

Here are some ideas...

Withdraw - Using this before a Skull Bash will allow it to be fired off with 1-turn. In addition, it will double the power. Skull Bash still keeps its effect of raising the target's Defense.

Howl - Using this before a Bite or a Crunch doubles their power. EDIT: Include Fire Fang, Ice Fang, and Thunderfang for that too.

Harden - Using this before a move with recoil will eliminate the damage received. In addition, hitting the user with contact moves will cause the opponent to receive 1/16th recoil.

Meditate - Using this will produce a Focus Energy-like effect of quadrupling the Critical Strike chance of the next attack. In addition, the next move used, regardless of being Special or Physical, will use the Pokemon's Attack stat to calculate the power.

Double Team - Keep the same.

Minimize - Raises Evasion 2-stages instead of 1.

Sharpen - Meh. It's on Porygon. Maybe raise Attack and Sp. Attack? It's not all that special.

These may seems a little bit overblown, but comparitively to the other attacks they really aren't. Most of 'em would belong to specific Pokemon and employ very specific tactics.

Last edited:
Here are some ideas...

Howl - Using this before a Bite or a Crunch doubles their power. EDIT: Include Fire Fang, Ice Fang, and Thunderfang for that too.

Harden - Using this before a move with recoil will eliminate the damage received. In addition, hitting the user with contact moves will cause the opponent to receive 1/16th recoil.

Meditate - Using this will produce a Focus Energy-like effect of quadrupling the Critical Strike chance of the next attack. In addition, the next move used, regardless of being Special or Physical, will use the Pokemon's Attack stat to calculate the power.

I would suggest Howl to also increase the Attack of nearby partner Pokemon, making the users of the move good team players. I am sure there is a reason for this, but I don't remember. I would also think that Meditate should only employ one of the effects instead of two, since either effect are strong in their own way, and one of them working is already good.

Muddy Water should have 100% Accuracy.
Flash should be a Electric type move.
Avalanche should have 60 base power.
Rock Climb should be a Rock type move.

Belly Drum - Attack x6
x12 according to Smogon, however it still doesn't go beyond +6

Add Poison Fang as well, it's always overseen:uhoh:
Migthyena might be the only Pokemon that can use the combo, but that have never stopped the people at GF from doing stuff. Iron Fist boosts Dizzy Punch after all.

I'd like to see Power Gem have a chance to reduce the target's accuracy. Perhaps a 10 or 20% chance to lower accuracy by one level? It's a sparkly attack, after all.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom