• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you name your kid after a Pokemon?

My first born will now be named Psyduck Vulpix (last name)

No.

Maybe a middle name, like Aaron Darkrai (last name)
Darkrai sounds like a sweet name though.

Middle name if anything but then again being able to yell "Get back here Mew!" would be just too good to pass up.

I would gladly name a pet after a Pokémon, but we're talking about a human being. I have a difficult to pronounce and embarrassing name, so I wouldn't ever force the same thing upon a child. I might name him/her after certain characters in Pokémon. Elesa's not a bad name. Neither is Drayden. And there are people in Pokémon with normal names, like Whitney, Jasmine, Clair, Cynthia, and Karen, to name a few. Fair warning: I am the sort of person that might actually name their kid Blue or Silver.

And if I have twin girls, I'm naming them Dusk and Dawn.

Of course not! I wouldn't name my children Jynx, Stunfisk or Purugly.

I would have no qualms about naming my daughter Altaria.
Eh, that's kinda/very decent.

Jirachi might work. Not for me, but in general.

Nah, that's a stretch.

Last edited:
I already changed my name after the Pokémon (show). And own kids I will never have so, no.

(Destiny isn't that bad.. right?)

Well, I think Destiny is a wonderful name XD Heard of Miley Cyrus? Her real name is Destiny Cyrus LOL I think it's pretty.

About pokemon names for kids.... well, if you scroll down the pokedex from Bulbasaur to whatever is at the end, there are bound to be some names that peole MIGHT think it's normal. Yes, the previously noted Roselia, Aron, and Meloetta... Perhaps quite a few could pass as foreign names with different pronounciations, like Phione, Altaria, or Kirlia. It's not actually all that hateful.

But of course... I'm not going to name my kid after a pokemon. However, I do like Roselia, Kirlia and Phione. I MIGHT possibly name my daughter that way if I ever have kids. It sounds real, anyways.

I'm sticking by my earlier posts.

Dusk and Dawn, or if they're not twins Harmony and Melody. Or if there's only one then Selena.

And I'd name a boy either Jason or Edward. No idea why.

Aron is already a normal name, I know somebody named Aron who was born before Pokémon was.

Aggron is a last name too. Diana Aggron, from Glee and I Am Number 4.

Naming a child is obviously a very personal thing, however, it may not be best to make such an important decision on a whim - after all, these are names that the child will have to live with their entire lives.

When naming the characters in my novel, I do what I will most likely do when it comes to naming an actual child in the future - I look for names that aren't too common (A personal peeve of mine...being called Josh, when someone calls my name in a public place, 20 people turn around). However, I always make sure the names actually sound relatively normal.

Although saying that, Evie (pronounced Eevee) is a name that has gained a lot of popularity - two little girls in my neighbourhood are called it (and my dog is called Eevee =3). Also, Evie was previously seen as a shortened form of Evelyn.

Well... I could name them after a Pokemon character...

Hilbert, Hilda, Brendan, May, Dawn...

I know a guy called Lucas who's a fan of the games, incidentally.

Ootachi said:
Not really...Think of all the Pokemon haters out there.

Fortunately, they tend not to know the more 'obscure' names, such as Roselia and Altaria.

Yeah... If anything, those two could pass.

Also, 'Kitty' can be short for any variation of Catherine...

So, Scatherine...

But what if they call her 'Skatie'? Weird, weird, weird.

Finally, the above 'Evie' works. But no boys' names come to mind.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom