• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Top 5 worst pokémon you ever trained.

Most early game bugs are at least decent enough to be serviceable throughout the game, or at the very least are fairly easy to evolve in the first place. Kricketune is neither.

Ehh... I've never really been able to use an early bug that long. Longest serious and useful usage, that I remember, was a Beedrill I used in a Red replay whose usefulness was completely depleted after Giovanni, but the last time it rocked was around the 4th badge. So I guess it wasn't too bad, but still.

-Wingull. It'll get you through Roxanne in RSE if you picked Torchic. Don't use it any further. Trust me on this one.

Don't trust lol. In my first Hoenn adventure, in Sapphire, Wingull was one of my earliest Pokemon and I used it successfully all the way up to the Pokemon League as a Pelipper (By the time I had gotten that far, it was actually one of my top members of the many many I used).

I only remember three Pokémon I can mention.

Treecko. Say what you will about Chikorita, but at the very least she learns Razor Leaf really early and gets the really powerful and useful Body Slam before becoming Meganium. She's also very defensive and an excellent supporter. On the other hand, Treecko has a horrid level-up movepool, and unless you hold back evolution until level 26 to get Mega Drain, your "reliable" STAB attack is... Absorb. Are you kidding me? Other than that you have to rely in mediocre attacks like Pursuit (It's crap in-game) and Fury Cutter until level 29, where Grovyle learns Leaf Blade, its only decent level-up attack. Afterwards it learns... Slam. Really? And that's about it. You can say "teach it TMs", but in 3rd Gen TMs are one time use only, so they have to be taught wisely. Most of Sceptile's good moves are TMs you can't get again, and also you find really damn late (Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Earthquake, Dragon Claw). Breeding in-game is also asinine and a waste of time as you have to train the Pokémon from the ground up, so Crunch and Dragon Breath barely count as options as well. By and far, Treecko is the worst starter in 3rd Gen, and one of the worst in the entire series.

Snivy. It was a similar case to Treecko, though it is much less horrid. Snivy learns Leaf Tornado at level 16, which is infinitely better than Grovyle getting its first and only move worth crap until level frigging 29. However, despite not being as bad and being in the first games where TMs have infinite use, Snivy is pretty... underwhelming. Its movepool is really damn shallow for a Grass starter, and it doesn't even have an appealing niche or excels in its role the way Meganium does as a support defensive wall. It also has similar issues to Treecko, but at the very least Treecko can hit hard and has a wider movepool when all's said and done. Snivy can't, and as a supporter it's pretty mediocre too. I ended up sticking with Lilligant as my Grass Pokémon of choice in my first White playthrough after Snivy let me down completely. I also shifted gears to Oshawott as my favorite 5th Gen starter. Pretty sucky overall, and easily the second worst Starter of all times.

Avalugg. I trained this one in Y and, though not terrible, it was often a sitting duck compared to the rest of the team. Slow as hell and dies to any Special hit. Really hard to use and can't really rely too much on it. It didn't help much, not even against Dragon user Drasna. Plus Bergmite is hard to train. Wouldn't really recommend it.

That's all I can remember for now.

Last edited:
Generally I'm pretty content with my Pokemon's in game performances. There have been a few exceptions, like Corsola in BW or W2 (forget which), actually gave up on it, but I'll give the species another go later. Also remember having problems with Vespiqueen in one of those games, but I at least kept her on my team. Wobbuffet is also ridiculously hard to use in game, as I experienced in Heart Gold.

3. Sharpedo. My perfect annoying ones to be trained. The defense are so high till it forgot to train his attack highup.
I don't understand what you mean.

3. Sharpedo. My perfect annoying ones to be trained. The defense are so high till it forgot to train his attack highup.
I don't understand what you mean.

Oh yes this is a typo mistake. What I mean is that the Attack and Sp.Atk was very high the defense system seems like weaken out for some unexplained reasons. I start training it at level 16 and I didn't use it on level 45 due to the low defense even though the ability Rough Skin hurt a little bit. I want an strong attacker but also strong shield defense too you know. Lemme edit that for you.

Last edited:
Most of the ones I have are from Gens 3 and 4.

Slakoth: Yeah, they hit hard and Vigoroth is pretty decent, but not even that can make up for the fact that Slakoth and Slaking can only attack every other turn. Plus, I don't much like pure normal-types anyway.
Abra: Up until Gen 4 at least. Gens 1-3 you had to waste a TM to have any hope of leveling him through anything other than switch-out or Exp Share experience. So, so worth it though. In HG/SS, at least you could buy a level 15 one from the Goldenrod Game Corner so you only have to level him once before he evolves and becomes useful.
Magikarp: Same reasons as Abra, but you don't even get the benefit of TMs. Again, Gyarados is very worth it, especially after the physical/special split let him make STAB use of his huge Attack stat.
Any Pseudo-Legendary pre-evo: I can't just pick one. They're all a gigantic pain to level. They level slowly and are usually extremely weak until their final form.

Pansear: I tried, oh how I tried, to give this monkey a chance but it just couldn't cut it. Mine is sitting at level 41 and evolved but it's stuck in a box on Bank. The bloody thing was too frail to take a hit and didn't have the power to KO much of anything. I normally love Fire types but this one was just plain awful.

Deino: Never try EV training this little monster. Never. I tried and I can't go near them anymore. It was a nightmare, to put it bluntly and I never completed its training. It ended up being used as trade fodder, I was that disgusted with it.

Litwick: The same as Deino, truthfully. I had tried to train this little twerp in Black and it was a nightmare. Maybe I was spoiled by my Golett, who could withstand a lot of hits and return the favor but my Litwick kept fainting left and right. I got it up to Lampent and went no further; she ended up cooling her heels in a box and got traded off for a shiny. I have a Chandelure but it was a trade via GTS. I just couldn't tough it out and raise one myself.

Beldum: There's a big payoff for raising one of these guys but they will put you through Hades before you get there. Unless you got a good one via Pokewalker, you're stuck with Take Down and that's it. Once I got the little snot up to Metagross, it was a dream but those first few dozen levels are a nightmare.

Sawk (X and Y): Pity my poor Sawk. In Black, he was a force. Now thanks to the Fairy type, he's mediocre at best. Mine is at level 97 and sitting in a PC box, waiting to be leveled up those last three levels. But with the massive hit the Fighting type has taken, it's almost too much trouble than it's worth. Breaks my heart really, as my Sawk in Black was a saviour. Now, not so much. =/

Almost all of my Pokemon in XY, i train them to level 50, and in GTS Battles they just slack off and don't do any moves at all, do I need to train them harder.

Zebstrika - Weak and limited movepool. It was a pain to get it to evolve because it kept fainting, and then fainted some more after evolving. Huh?

Vanilluxe - Same problems as the above.

Elemental monkeys - I'm just not having a good time in Unova, it seems!

Drifblim - Cute to Fly on, but very weak and wouldn't tank a hit.

Zebstrika - Weak and limited movepool. It was a pain to get it to evolve because it kept fainting, and then fainted some more after evolving. Huh?

Vanilluxe - Same problems as the above.

Elemental monkeys - I'm just not having a good time in Unova, it seems!

Drifblim - Cute to Fly on, but very weak and wouldn't tank a hit.
Wait a sec. Does that your weakest Pokemon is six including the elemental monkeys? Never mind then. I just want to see your opinion

i can't really think of any bad pokemon i've trained. i've raised some that's generally get bad reception and used them to my fullest advantage.

Sandshrew/Sandslash- I used it for the very first time in my first run through HeartGold. Not that I have anything against Sandslash, but he wasn't nearly as useful as the other members of my team. The only time he was ever useful was against Lt. Surge. I probably wouldn't use the line again.

Mienfoo/Mienshao- I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but frankly, when I first used Mienfoo in White, it was absolutely terrible. It kept getting OHKOed like crazy, and didn't even evolve until the middle of the freakin' E4. And even THEN she succumbed to Grimsley's Krookodile, and I had no Revives left. All in all, I hated training the little snot.

Flareon- I foolishly ignored all the hate Flareon gets and used it in a run through HeartGold. Big mistake.

Ducklett/Swanna- I had no idea that they only (at the time of BW) learned Water- and Flying-type moves by level up. Another big mistake.

Trapinch- Don't even get me STARTED on how long it took to evolve into Vibrava in Ruby. Trapinch was BY FAR the worst Pokemon I had trained. After she evolved, she got better, but until that point, somewhere around Lilycove, her performance in battle was absolutely abysmal. I was a bit sketchy about training one in X, but he's decent enough in that to not be the worst Pokemon on the team.

Other than them, most or all of my Pokemon have been decent to fantastic. BTW, I've trained a Chikorita before, and it was actually quite good. I don't understand all the hate it gets.

In my current run of HeartGold, I'm finding that raising a Ditto is pretty difficult. Being the third-weakest fully-evolved Pokemon, its stats are horrible. And I mean horrible. In some cases, its HP is half gone by the time it transforms. It only does so well in battles due to the fact that the moves it copies are not very effective 80% percent of the time, and the other 20% the moves are useless.

The only reason I'm keeping it around is because it does have its moments in battle. Those moments don't occur often, but when they do...

I love Farfetch'd and raised one in my first run through Soul Silver. Man, it was by far the weakest Pokemon I've ever had. Even super effective attacks seemed to only do about a quarter damage on lower-level enemies! I stuck with it till the end, but I mainly kept it solely as an HM slave for Fly and Cut.

Mienfoo/Mienshao- I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but frankly, when I first used Mienfoo in White, it was absolutely terrible. It kept getting OHKOed like crazy, and didn't even evolve until the middle of the freakin' E4. And even THEN she succumbed to Grimsley's Krookodile, and I had no Revives left. All in all, I hated training the little snot.

What. Perhaps I'm a little biased for obvious reasons but Mienshao is great in battle. Since you said it evolved in the middle of the E4, you didn't even unlock Mienshao's full potential by letting it learn its most powerful move, High Jump Kick, which it doesn't get until level 56. I think you should give it another chance in BW2 or XY. And it's good to give Mienshao a Wide Lens so HJK won't miss. Since experiences and playing styles vary, I'm not sure what to tell you about getting OHKO'd all the time. Mienshao's defenses aren't the best, but getting blown away in one move wasn't a frequent occurrence for me, especially when a strong move like HJK does crazy damage. This won't help with that issue, but if Mienshao does happen to survive an attack, it's important to have U-Turn + Regenerator so it can do damage before switching out and heal itself at the same time.

I usually find a way to enjoy training any type/stat spread of a Pokemon, but there have been a couple times it was flat-out not worth it.

Trapinch - terrible stats. No way to utilize STAB, except for Sand Tomb, till it evolves. Not a great moveset even when fully evolved. Biggest waste of my time in emerald.

Clefairy - I actually have a big soft spot for pure normals that are good special attackers, but so many other Pokemon do it better. Also, doubleslap. Ugh...

Mankey - back in my first play through of Pokemon red (year 2000 maybe?) I thought Mankey was so much more adorable than Machop. Then I realized it was useless in gen 1, as were all fighting types really.

Azumarill - I haven't checked to see if mine in emerald has some sort of hindering nature, but good god are those TERRIBLE STATS for a fully evolved Pokemon.

Exeggcute - as flawed as grass types are, I love the little buggers. So much fun to frustrate people with. And in gen 1 Exeggcutor was pretty beastly, but getting to that point without relying on TMs....I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. How naive and patient I was in my youth.

Claydol - maybe I haven't find it's niche, maybe it doesn't fit into my battle style, and maybe I just REALLY HATE Self Destruct and Explosion. All of the above, I guess, because Claydol was always a chore to me.

Oh, and I have really enjoyed raising a Chikorita, Whismur, Nincada and Zubat to fully grown. Peculiar Pokemon? Yes, but rewarding for the patient and strategic.

The only one I really had trouble with is a Meowth in a FireRed hack. I kept training it up and teaching it good moves until I realized its nature was the opposite of what I needed and its stats were terrible

What. Perhaps I'm a little biased for obvious reasons but Mienshao is great in battle. Since you said it evolved in the middle of the E4, you didn't even unlock Mienshao's full potential by letting it learn its most powerful move, High Jump Kick, which it doesn't get until level 56. I think you should give it another chance in BW2 or XY. And it's good to give Mienshao a Wide Lens so HJK won't miss. Since experiences and playing styles vary, I'm not sure what to tell you about getting OHKO'd all the time. Mienshao's defenses aren't the best, but getting blown away in one move wasn't a frequent occurrence for me, especially when a strong move like HJK does crazy damage. This won't help with that issue, but if Mienshao does happen to survive an attack, it's important to have U-Turn + Regenerator so it can do damage before switching out and heal itself at the same time.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh. I'm willing to give Mienfoo another chance, since I've just started W2 again. Hopefully it will prove useful this time.

I tried using a Furret in Soul Silver. The keyword is "tried". I dumped it on victory road for an Ursaring, which had better stats despite being freshly caught.
I also thought it would be a grand idea to have Shedinja be part of my team for my Emerald run. I ended up boring Drakes kingdra to death.
I had both Azelf and Uxie on my pearl team, because what's redundancy?
My most recent one was the Vespiquen I used on my X run. All that it accomplished was poisoning things that I couldn't one shot (such as Serena's vaporeon).

Last edited:
Guys please just try to think what's your top 5 overall, not one by one. And I'm allowing the discussion about it so please understand.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom