• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Advanceshipping General Discussion

Re: AdvanceShipping Nation

If you do write Advanceshipping fanfiction, are there any movies that you take inspiration from?

I got the idea for Duplicity while I was watching We Bought a Zoo... Not that it had anything to do with the plot...

And a fic that I recently wrote but need to redo the ending was inspired by Source Code (And Majora's Mask)

If you do write Advanceshipping fanfiction, are there any movies that you take inspiration from?

Actually,I always have an idea by myself but if you talk about inspiration from the movie then... I hardly watch a movie since Avenger(o_O)

I guess it would be a chipmunk 3(Chipwreck) because whatever I saw alvin and brittany,it remind me of Ash and May for some reasons(Don't know why xD).

Do you see yourself as an AdvanceShipper in the future (like 10/20 yrs from now)? Pls specify
I'm going to be 27, but I already know I'm going to be an advance shipper. However, my career won't allow me to do any writing. Well,any freetime anyway. Hopefully I can still be around.

It's been too long since my last post. I can't keep up with all of the topics to save my life.

A contest huh? Hmm...I don't know. I still have problems to work out with when it comes to my writing.

Oh yeah and since i noticed that a lot of people seem to favor some authors ive talked to in the past, heres a little treat for those entering.

I may not have what they said word for word but ill do my best. Here are some quick nuggets i got from them.

S. Muffin[She is the best at getting the point across in a story with the least amount of words] Don't Post your stories right away. Leave them out for a few days because you may want to edit something later. Also read a story from your favorite author and kind of get used to their writing style(I forgot how she reworded it. Maybe she can come out of lurking and edit this herself lol) Also Fiction factor helps alot

Wings of Rain/Princess of Hoenn[One of the best in detail and emotion] Listen to music with the emotion you want to have in your story for 10 minutes while you take a walk. After that, get on and keep typing just to get the momentum. Doesnt matter what you type, just build up the habit and make edits later.

Gerbilftw[Best in action,drama and pissing people off by not updating sooner lol] If you plan on making Ash or someone act ooc, make sure something happened to them beforehand that made them act that way. Make sure to avoid controversial topics like religion,politics etc. Dont want to offend the readers(I didn't listen.....)

Midnightmoon602[Best in Plot and emotion] "Your reader won't know where the characters are, what their doing, what is suppose to be going on, what's going to happen next etc. As a writer you want to paint a picture into your readers mind, MAKE THEM SEE WHAT YOU SEE. Write as much as there is needed to make sure they understand what is happening in the story. BECOME YOUR CHARACTER, FEEL WHAT THEY ARE THINKING, FILL THEIR SHOES, PLAY THEIR LIFE. "

Luciferix[The fucking best there ever was lol] Okay where to start.....well he told me for "puppeteers wishes" that he had a number of quotes to start off with and just revolved the story around them. Also whenever he had a sudden click of inspiration,he would take a note down on his phone.

Thats all i can really think of at the moment. they may not be as accurate as what they told me but thats the gist of what they told me or what i can remember at the moment. Since we cant ask for assistance for the contest i decided to be like whatever and post this up for anyone that wants to take thier favorite authors' advice.

I mean you didnt ask for help right? lol sorry i like to bend the rules

Thanks for the advice from the other authors, beastmode953. This will help me with my upcoming fanfics and the one that I am still working on.

There is one more problem that I have though. It's just that I developed an intense fear for criticism. I don't know if anyone has ever experienced it but I need to overcome it to continue writing. I've been looking at comments by some well known authors and I would cringe at their response to certain kinds of stories that they don't want to see. I messed up on a story that I am working on and I am too scared to look at the reviews. There are so many unique ideas that I have for Advanceshipping stories but I could really use some help so I won't ended up with a work that is exaggerated, rushed, and really unsual that would freak me and others out.

I got the idea for Duplicity while I was watching We Bought a Zoo... Not that it had anything to do with the plot...

And a fic that I recently wrote but need to redo the ending was inspired by Source Code (And Majora's Mask)
. Source code?? Shit I have a fic inspired by source code too...ill pm you when I get to fanfic.net

Lately this thread has been too much of a chat thread/fanfiction discussion and not enough of an Advanceshipping discussion thread. If you guys wouldn't mind, try keeping the talk of fanfiction/the competition to a minimum and focus more on discussion of the ship itself. As @CommanderPigg ; suggested, it would be a good idea if you made a QuickTopic or something for general chit chat instead of using this thread for it.

@Advanceshippingtomboy

Yeah I know that feeling. I get ir everytime I post a new fic, or eveb when I suggested doing challenges here. All I can say is, read the reviews, if someone critizices you, it's either because they want to help you improve, or they're being a stupid troll.

@Beastmode953

Lol, really? XD I would have posted the fic a few weeks ago, but the ending sucked so badly, I can't post it until I rewrite it.

Now that we know that Dawn is going to be in Unova with Ash again, do you think May will be mention at all since Dawn is currently competing in the Hoenn Grand Festival?
It'd be nice if something like that were to happen. But I dunno what the writers have in mind. If it doesn't happen, there's still hope that May returns, once the R/S/E remakes are out. And when she does return, hopefully she's won the Johto Grand Festival.

Now that we know that Dawn is going to be in Unova with Ash again, do you think May will be mentioned at all since Dawn is currently competing in the Hoenn Grand Festival?

It's extremely unlikely. The writers seem to have no sense of continuity whatsoever, and I'd be shocked if May was brought up at all.

Now that we know that Dawn is going to be in Unova with Ash again, do you think May will be mention at all since Dawn is currently competing in the Hoenn Grand Festival?
It'd be nice if something like that were to happen. But I dunno what the writers have in mind. If it doesn't happen, there's still hope that May returns, once the R/S/E remakes are out. And when she does return, hopefully she's won the Johto Grand Festival.

Yeah. Plus, what's she going to do after the GF. Either that, she's probably competing in Sinnoh. But we'll see what Dawn might say about May when she returns.

I think it'd be a good twist (assuming May wins the Johto Grand Festival) to have May compete in the gym challenge as well.

Yeah. Plus, what's she going to do after the GF. Either that, she's probably competing in Sinnoh. But we'll see what Dawn might say about May when she returns.

I think May might win and head to Sinnoh, after all May wants to be one of the best Top Cordinators in the world while Dawn wants to be the best in Sinnoh, or so i heard.

I'm not expecting anything huge, just a little update whats happening with May, i mean they left on good terms in DP.

I think May might win and head to Sinnoh, after all May wants to be one of the best Top Cordinators in the world while Dawn wants to be the best in Sinnoh, or so i heard.

I'm not expecting anything huge, just a little update whats happening with May, i mean they left on good terms in DP.

Since May wants to be Top Coordinator in the World, doesn't Ash have the similar goal to become the World's Pokemon Master? :D

Yeah, little updates of what May is doing is enough. Although, after Sinnoh, what's she gonna do?
There's no Contests in Unova. If she goes to a new Region, maybe Ash might go there after Unova.

But if you look back, Misty reappeared 4 times during the advance generation, while May only appeared once in the pearlshipping saga. This kind of makes me think that she could reappear... but I honestly don't know.

From what I remember Misty had the Togepi two parter and the beginning of BF in AG and then dissaperead into nothing. May though were around for one more season unlike Dawn (so far). Then Misty had the 20 something orange isles (which I summarize with the longer Kanto Season to two season) and it makes 5 sesons with Johto for her (if my calculation is right). Considering this calculation there is a chance there could be another season and some eps with May but as said, there is no sign for this now. Dawn had three seasons so far, so if at all I would say we could get another season with Dawn and after either a second one or a season with May and Dawn at the same time. However, this is just theoretical. (Anyway, I just hope we soon can leave BW as a boring memory behind.)

Is there anything at all that is keeping anyone from entering and if so, how can Gengar and I help?

Well, there are some main and some sub reason I refrain from participating although I do like writing fics:

1. The time, it's just too short. With my vocational training of my job in the final stage (I don't know if there is a better word in English for this German one) and the upcoming project of over a month where there are still things to prepare for I just don't have time for it. I could only be able to do some during the project when it rolls and this would be throughout June. (Though I still take my time for my weekly Internet visits.)

2. The limit, (is it words or signs) whenever I start writing I just automatically write on and on and on... endlessly with no end in sight. I would never be able to stay on 5000 or just a bit over.

3. Well, I'm not so much of a shipper in Pokémon anymore because it's stagnating. Ash never grows and I miss a throughout continues plot in it though the eps as such have some entertaining worth but not too much. And, there is no way this would ever change, we all know this.

for the sub-reasons:

4. I'm not too motivated to write anything lately. I just don't get much of input of others about my stories. It may be because I'm not advertising (sounds strange in this context) my stories enough (pretty much not at all) but although I'm writing mostly for the writings sake it would be nice to get some comments and/or reviews about them, good or bad from time to time.

5. I lack the knowledge of English words and grammar and using translator comes out weird too. Then, I tend to write bad, never-ending sentences though it became slightly better lately.

6. Don't have many good ideas lately.

7. I always have problems if there is a specification in theme.

Do you see yourself as an AdvanceShipper in the future (like 10/20 years from now)? Please specify.

Well, I liked it from Ep. 001 of AG (and watched Pokémon from Ep 001 already though I missed some of Johto which I later caught up with, although don't think I missed much and feel the same about current BW) cause May's reaction, this "Yeah!" when Ash agreed to travel with her was cute and since I always disliked Misty and her attitude I grew fonder of it. In 20 years I'm over 40 (while Ash is still 10) and from my current imagination... I would say if Pokémon still is running, which I believe and no Shipping became cannon at this point, which I also think, I will still support AdvanceShipping, at least a bit.

Cheers

Gonna join for sure!

I'm just needing for more advanceshipping discussion!

All I can do now is hope for May's come back.

Hi, finally made a Quicktopic chat thing for the contest, click here to join the discussion. it's and it's extremely quick and simple to sign up (took me a whole 30 seconds)

Hopefully the moderators will let us make a thread exclusively for contest discussion soon, I'd rather keep the discussion on Bulbagarden.
I'm talking to the forum head in the writers workshop about that so all we can do for now is wait.

Oh cool :D

But what if next month's contest is graphics or something?

Now that we know that Dawn is going to be in Unova with Ash again, do you think May will be mentioned at all since Dawn is currently competing in the Hoenn Grand Festival?

It's extremely unlikely. The writers seem to have no sense of continuity whatsoever, and I'd be shocked if May was brought up at all.

Sad, but true. I'm still hoping that the writers will pull off a surprise this time.

Yeah, she's probably competing in Sinnoh. And like you said, maybe Ash and May could travel together again, after their respective journeys in Sinnoh and Unova.

Is there anything at all that is keeping anyone from entering and if so how can I or gengar help?
2 things I suggest to change.
1) Allow any word length. If they ramble, that's their problem. If its long but perfect, props to them. 5K is WAYYYYY to short a limit anyway.
2) Be more formal. Like either a) make another thread for it or b) consistently establish who the current judges are, the current contestants, the current rules, etc.

I disagree, I think that for a one shot, 5k is the right amount. But since we disagree on this how about we go by majority? Whatever Raichu chooses then that will be the official rule.

I'm not sure my point is being understood. There truly is no point to a world limit. if they make a story that's not a oneshot, but is made into one (like a 2 shot made into a oneshot) then that detracts from the story. If they make a story that rambles for too long that severely detracts from the story. Oneshots can be any length (heck I have one that's 10K), but the point is that they:
a) are easily understood
b) are NOT a novel
c) are well written.
That's the qualifications for a oneshot. No offense, but if the judges don't want to read a oneshot over 5K, then this contest may as well not even happen since it is impossible to make a fair, good contest with a word limit on oneshots.

Do you see yourself as an AdvanceShipper in the future (like 10/20 years from now)? Please specify.
You know I thought I would have ditched this ship by now since most parts of my childhood from 6 years ago are a thing of the past for me, but I;ve hung on. So I think I'll still, if not openly then at least secretly, be a supporter.

And as for Dawn returning, honestly it's hard for me to say. I would lie to you and tell you I'm surprised, but honestly I feel like the devs at Pokemon Studios favor leaving characters in the blue a little too much. So as soon as I heard that they gave Dawn a specific course of action, I was like "Great, see you again in a year"

Oh and a heads up, anyone participating in the contest should post a comment on the quick topic page @TheShinyGengar posted to help keep things organized. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom