• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Aesthetics and Graphics

I'm pretty sure they mean that's a Shiny Sylveon and that it's 2D sprite is still pink.

You mean that's a shiny Gabite? Goddamn it Game Freak. You changed some shinies between Gen II and III, and yet you still won't for Gabite and Garchomp...

I referred to the Sylveon. Before the player's pokemon declares an attack, an interface appears on the bottom screen with the pokemon's 2D sprite. The Gabite belongs to Calem/Serena in the demo, and like all enemy pokemon its 2D sprite won't appear on the interface.

Sorry, I must've misread '2D sprite' as in reference to the colors of regular sprites from previous games.

You know, for all the shit I've been giving GF, I have to admit that those off camera direct feeds look amazing. Wasn't expecting anything less, but man, it looks even better than I would have thought.

After all this time you'd think that doing palette swaps of small icons would be obvious by now, but apparently they don't even seem to care about it. They even updated them to fit with the 3DS's resolution, but they still didn't give them shiny versions.

It might seem like a small thing, and while it doesn't affect gameplay or the overall experience of the game, it's graphics that just should be there. If the Pokemon is shiny, then that should be reflected everywhere it is seen. Not just on the battlefield, in Amie etc, but in the menu graphics too.

This is what the item screen looks like during battles.
View attachment 89324

The bottom screen's appearance changes when an item is used to heal a pokemon.
View attachment 89325
Images courtesy of raim2005 from Twitter
From the first screen:
The two items are "Paralyze Heal" and "Awakening".

From the second screen:
The two options are "Recover HP/PP" and "Recover Status". I think this is from the "Recover" option from the Pokémon menu, not the items menu.

Not sure if this is news or not, but like surfing, it seems that we still fly in a black generic bird in X&Y:

qGJTJbG.png
Doesn't bother me much, but I won't lie, flying on a proper modeled Noivern would be so great.

You gotta admit that its a slick as hell animation though, judging from that still. Speaking of which, how did the activate fly in a closed environment?

After all this time you'd think that doing palette swaps of small icons would be obvious by now, but apparently they don't even seem to care about it. They even updated them to fit with the 3DS's resolution, but they still didn't give them shiny versions.

It might seem like a small thing, and while it doesn't affect gameplay or the overall experience of the game, it's graphics that just should be there. If the Pokemon is shiny, then that should be reflected everywhere it is seen. Not just on the battlefield, in Amie etc, but in the menu graphics too.

I feel the same way about it too. I mean all they simply had to do was recolor some small pixels and that's it. Hopefully there is still a chance that the real games have shiny mini sprites since this was just a demo.

Is it such a big deal that the 2D sprite isn't shiny? Correct me if I'm terribly wrong, but wasn't it only like that in GenII?

Not even the Red Gyarados in HGSS had a shiny icon sprite in the team menu/ battle screen. (it was red in the overworld when it walked with you, IIRC, but I think that was the only shiny that used its coloring there)

You gotta admit that its a slick as hell animation though, judging from that still. Speaking of which, how did the activate fly in a closed environment?
It was from a trailer at the end of the demo.
And it had no weight to be covered? I guess gamescon would have the same one, maybe then it'll leak..

Is it such a big deal that the 2D sprite isn't shiny? Correct me if I'm terribly wrong, but wasn't it only like that in GenII?

Not even the Red Gyarados in HGSS had a shiny icon sprite in the team menu/ battle screen. (it was red in the overworld when it walked with you, IIRC, but I think that was the only shiny that used its coloring there)

My point was simply that this altered sprite in the menus were only in the original Crystal, Gold, and Silver games. They haven't changed for shinies since then, so I really don't see why this is that big of a deal. Especially since they're registered in the Pokedex as shiny anyway.

Shiny Sylveon looks great in my opinion. It IS pretty upsetting that GameFreak is overlooking something so simple, though. I'm pretty sure that they'll fix it, given the tiny uproar over it.

The graphics are the finest Pokémon has ever looked. The animation and cel shaded design is absolutely brilliant. Pokémon has never felt more alive. This is some of the finest work, even better than the anime. The animation is crisp, clean and easy to follow. I don't notice any major flaws. For a handheld, this is an incredible game. This is finally the Pokémon game that takes a true leap graphically and rewards its fans. I am not bothered by the overworld, overall the game still looks worlds beyond anything even the Gamecube released for Pokémon. I have been pleasantly surprised.

my biggest worry is how they are going to handle weather in battle. we can fortunately see a brilliant blue sky but what if rain dance or drizzle is used will that background turn cloudy or just have it rain regardless of background. a minor complaint i have is that the models seam a bit off scale size wise

All the other Pokés had shiny overworld sprites.

My point was simply that this altered sprite in the menus were only in the original Crystal, Gold, and Silver games. They haven't changed for shinies since then, so I really don't see why this is that big of a deal. Especially since they're registered in the Pokedex as shiny anyway.
So you acknowledge there has been a downgrade since CGS and are basically saying Pokémon games graphics shouldn't evolve with the excuse of pointing it's just as the way it was before?
It isn't a BIG deal but it's something and it'd fit in a 3DS cart without problems (as they could fit in DS cards in the previous games just fine too).

So you acknowledge there has been a downgrade since CGS and are basically saying Pokémon games graphics shouldn't evolve with the excuse of pointing it's just as the way it was before?
It isn't a BIG deal but it's something and it'd fit in a 3DS cart without problems (as they could fit in DS cards in the previous games just fine too).

Well, let's remember that GSC only had a limited number of menu sprites anyway. So if anything, there was no downgrade, when they gave EVERY Pokemon one in RS.

I personally don't see why a minuscule menu sprite must by colored shiny (especially since they only had a palette change in GSC). The Pokemon already has a star on its summary page and it's registered in your Pokedex as being shiny, as well. I'm just wondering why this needs to be made a big deal of.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom