• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Anime, romance) Water Reunion!

Jo-Jo

Reaction score
Alternative titles for the thread include 'I'm late, I'm late for a very important date' and 'I'm a moron who can't read'. Um, this was supposed to be my Bulbagarden New Year exchange fic, but due to my aforementioned lack of reading skills, for some reason I thought it was due in on the tenth, not the first. >_< Hence why this is so late, and also, strictly speaking, not exactly finished. *cough* Er... but it's the thought that counts, right? Major apologies to Roxy_Parkington, who I was meant to be writing this for. And I bet everyone's tired of my excuses now, so on with the fic, I guess.

Note: I decided to try my hand at writing this in the style of an actual Pokémon episode, and thus the lame title is, in fact, deliberate. ;) (It feels good to be able to say that truthfully for once.) It's set at the beginning of the imaginary season-after-Hoenn; all you really need to know is that Ash and May didn't win their respective competitions, and they're currently visiting Kanto for a short while, before journeying to another region. Oh, and it's Pokéshipping, as per request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The episode opens with an overhead shot of a city, followed by the twerps heading along a street.*

Narrator:
With the Hoenn League behind him, Ash has returned to Kanto, to visit his mother and some old friends. Today, we find our heroes walking through a familiar town.

May:
There it is!

*Brock, Pikachu and Max all perk up as the sight of their destination comes into view at the end of the road. Ash, however, doesn’t look too excited to be there.*

Narrator:
Ash, May, Brock and Max have accepted an invitation to stay for three days at the Cerulean City gym. This will be the first time that they have seen their friend, Misty, in several months.

*The group runs over to the gym. However, just as they reach the front door, the sound of a huge explosion comes from within.*

Water Reunion!

*Ash and the gang hurry inside the gym in search of the noise. They charge into the main battle arena and stop dead at the sight that meets their eyes. A huge chunk of concrete has been ripped out of the side of the pool; almost all of the water is now covering the floor, the walls, the windows and the ceiling of the room. Floating on the scant few inches left at the bottom of the pool are an unconscious Vileplume and a blonde teenage girl. Daisy is standing by the edge, a Poké-ball in one hand, looking shell-shocked and dripping with water from head to toe.*

Brock:
What happened here?

Max:
This place looks like a Wailord fell through the roof!

Voice (from off-screen):
Daisy!

*The group turns to see Misty standing in the other doorway, looking murderous.*

Brock, May and Max:
Misty!

*Misty stalks towards Daisy, fists clenched.*

Misty:
What in the world do you think you’re doing?

*Daisy laughs nervously*

Daisy:
Just… training…

Misty
Since when does training involve blowing up the gym? Is that my Gyrados?

*She points to the Poké-ball in Daisy’s hand*

Daisy:
Uhhhh…

Misty:
For the last time, you can’t just borrow my Pokémon without asking me! Gyrados is way stronger than you’re used to battling with, especially if you’re going to start hurling around Hyper Beam attacks! You could cause an accident!

May:
This looks like a pretty big accident to me…

Max:
I’ll say.

Pikachu:
Ka-chu…

Daisy:
Jeez, little sister, lighten up. I thought you’d be happy I won the match.

Misty:
Match? Against… another trainer?

*She looks around for Daisy’s opponent, sees the girl in the pool and screams.*

Misty:
Daisy! Please don’t tell me you’ve killed a challenger!

*Ash et al. suddenly realise the severity of this situation.*

Pikachu:
Pika-pika!

May:
Oh, no! She could be hurt!

Max:
We have to help her!

Ash:
Right!

*Ash and Brock run to the pool’s edge. As soon as Brock gets a closer look at the girl, he goes into the usual love-struck routine.*

Brock:
Ahhhhhh, she’s like a beautiful lily drifting on a crystalline lake! Never fear, sweet maiden, for your hero has arrived! I’ll save you!

*With that, he prepares to dive into three inches of water. Luckily, Ash has the presence of mind to grab him and stop him cracking his head open.*

Ash:
Brock, get a grip! Rescue first, drool later!

Brock (abashed):
Eheheh… right.

*Ash lowers himself in, picks up the girl and hands her out to Brock. He then gets her Vileplume and climbs back out. The others hurry over. Brock is staring at their rescuee, starry-eyed.*

Brock:
Such a meeting must have been written in the stars! It was fate that I should save her, and that I should be the first person she sees when she awakes –

*Misty spoils this fond daydream by hauling Brock away by the ear.*

Misty:
The only thing the stars have in store for you is a restraining order.

*She kneels by the girl and checks for a pulse*

May (fearfully):
Is she -?

Misty:
She’s alive.

*Everyone breathes a sigh of relief*

Daisy:
See? There was never any problem. I had it all under control.

*Misty looks up, scowling.*

Misty:
As if! You still don’t have a clue what you’re doing! You’ll be lucky if nobody tries to press charges against you!

Daisy:
This is, like, so typical of you, Misty. Always looking for a downside.

Misty:
I don’t have to look for a downside - you’re handing them right to me! You’ve been training up for the last month, and I haven’t seen any improvement at all - and now you’ve destroyed the battlefield! I don’t see how this can get any worse!

Daisy:
Well, maybe if you weren’t always yelling, you would see some improvement!

Misty (groaning):
Oh, I’m going to be stuck in this place forever…

Max:
Uhh, mind if I ask what you’re talking about?

*The sisters seem slightly startled to remember that there are other people in the room.*

Daisy:
Oh, it’s nothing. Misty’s just making me spend, like, all my time practicing pointless battle strategies so that she can impress some inspector guy.

Misty:
That ‘inspector guy’ is from the Pokémon League, and he’s going to show up to assess you any day now! If you don’t pass, then I’ll have to take over the gym for good!

Daisy:
So, like, take it over! Me, Lily and Violet won’t mind. We have more fun with our underwater ballets anyway.

Misty:
But I don’t want to be a gym leader for the rest of my life!

Daisy:
I guess you should have thought of that before you took the job.

Misty:
You made me take the job!

Brock:
Now, now, let’s all just calm down. There’s no point in getting angry at each other -

*He immediately regrets butting in, as Misty and Daisy both round on him and direct their yelling at him instead. Ash, Pikachu, May and Max sweatdrop. Suddenly, the girl they fished out of the pool splutters and opens her eyes.*

Ash:
Hey, she’s woken up!

Pikachu:
Cha!

*Misty and Daisy both stop shouting. Brock dives forward and seizes the girl’s hands.*

Brock:
Hello, my name’s Brock and I’m your dashing rescuer! Tell me, do you believe in long engageme – ow!

*Misty is dragging him away again. Ash gives an embarrassed laugh.*

Ash:
Don’t mind him, he’s always like that. Hi, I’m Ash, from Pallet Town.

Girl (bemused):
I’m Callie. Um – could you tell me what happened? I remember I was battling, and there was this bright light and a big explosion…

May:
You were in an accident. But it’s OK now.

*Misty finishes getting Brock out of the way, and hurries over.*

Misty:
I’m so sorry. It’s my sister – she was dropped on her head when she was a baby – actually, I think all my sisters were – but that’s not important – are you hurt?

Callie:
No, I think I’m fine. Sorry – who are you? And where did all these other people come from?

Misty:
I’m Misty, and these are my friends. (reluctantly) I’m the gym leader here. Kinda.

Callie:
Oh! But – but I was battling with Daisy for a Cascade badge…

Misty:
She’s sorta the gym leader too… it’s complicated… listen, why don’t we get you fixed up, and I’ll explain later, OK?

Callie:
Sure, OK.

*She tries to sit up, wincing. Brock charges forward to help her up; Misty anticipates this and grabs his collar before he can reach her. Callie laughs.*

Callie (to Ash, grinning):
Little help?

*Ash takes her outstretched hand and gently tugs her to her feet; she smiles at him. Misty sees this and looks annoyed. Brock takes advantage of her distraction to break loose and wedge himself in front of Ash; for once, Misty doesn’t seem to mind.*

Brock:
Never fear, miss! I shall be happy to come and save you again at any time you need me, no matter what perils I have to face. I won’t ask for anything in return – except perhaps a thank-you kiss…?

*Ignoring Brock, Callie turns to Ash*

Callie (to Ash):
I’m guessing that you rescued me, right? You’re all wet.

Ash:
Heh… I kinda helped out.

Callie
Well, thanks. It was really brave of you.

*Brock wails and collapses. Ash puts a hand to the back of his head and returns Callie’s smile; Misty scowls.*

May:
Well, I’m glad everything’s worked out OK.

Misty (mutters):
Yeah. Everything’s great.

*Pikachu looks from Misty to Ash and Callie, and sighs to itself.*

Max:
It’s nice to see you again, Misty.

May:
Yeah, it’s been a while!

*Pikachu jumps into Misty’s arms with a friendly squeak. She looks slightly more cheerful.*

Misty:
Hey, Pikachu. Did you miss me?

Pikachu:
Chaaa!

*Brock snaps out of his funk, too.*

Brock:
We’ve all missed you – haven’t we, Ash?

*Ash looks over upon hearing his name. His eyes meet Misty’s, and he stiffens. For a long, tension-filled moment, they stare at each other - then Misty drops her gaze.*

Ash:
…Hi, Misty.

*Misty just looks uncomfortable. There is another awkward pause, finally broken by Brock.*

Brock (heartily):
So! Where should we unpack?

Misty:
I’ve cleared a couple of rooms for you upstairs. Come on, I’ll show you.

*She steps towards the door, and frowns.*

Misty:
And then I’d better see about getting this place fixed up.

*The gaping hole in the side of the pool crumbles slightly, marking her point. Ash, Pikachu, May, Brock and Max begin to follow her.*

Ash:
Um… Mist? Just so you know, it’s really good to see you.

*Misty’s expression softens. She is about to reply, when Callie runs forward.*

Callie:
Hey – Ash, right? Thanks again for saving me. I owe you one.

*This abruptly kills any tenderness Misty may have been about to bestow. Scowling, she stomps ahead, leaving Ash behind.*

*Some time later, Ash, Brock and Max are unpacking in the room Misty has cleared for them. It obviously belongs to either Lily or Violet, as can be deduced from the décor. Max eyes the vast perfume collection on the dresser and pulls a face.*

Max:
I can’t believe May gets a whole room to herself.

Ash:
I can’t believe Lily and Violet gave permission to lend out their rooms.

Brock (laughing):
Something tells me that Misty might not have bothered asking for permission first. Where did she say her sisters were?

Max:
I think she said Lily and Violet had gone off to some fashion show for the weekend. I’m surprised Daisy’s not with them.

Brock:
I guess she wanted to stay and train.

Max:
Forced by Misty to stay and train, you mean.

*At that moment, May sticks her head around the door. She is beaming from ear to ear.*

May:
My room is amazing! You should see how big the closets are!

Max and Brock (pointing to their room’s own wardrobe):
We’ve seen.

May:
This weekend is going to be so awesome. Just what we need before setting off on a new journey, right, Ash?

Ash:
Huh? Oh… yeah.

May:
And spending time with Misty will be fun, too. (pause) Only… is it just me, or does she seem a little cranky?

Brock (considering):
Hmmm. She was a bit angrier than normal… but maybe that isn’t surprising. Daisy did just make a huge hole in her battlefield, after all.

Max:
She sure didn’t seem to like that Callie girl. (teasingly) Although Callie looked pretty chummy with Ash.

*Brock’s shoulders droop, and he heaves a sigh.*

Ash (not listening):
Huh? Who’s chummy?

May (frowning):
You’ve been awfully distracted lately, Ash. Is anything the matter?

*Ash forces a smile*

Ash:
Nothing at all! I’m just tired.

May:
It’s just that you’ve been acting… well… almost like you don’t want to be here.

Ash:
Of course I want to be here. Misty’s my friend…

*He trails off, looking slightly uncertain.*

Ash:
Anyway, I think I’ll go, uh, look at the Pokémon here. Come on, Pikachu.

*He leaves, with Pikachu trotting at his heels. May still looks puzzled, and now, so do the other two.*

Max:
You know, I think you could be right, May. Something’s up.

Brock:
And whatever it is, I hope he tells us soon.

<AD BREAK>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

And that's the end of part one. Hope you liked it, Roxy! Especially as it's so late and all... (real sorry about that) ^^;;

Last edited:
Ah, it was good anyway, don't worry about tradiness. ^_^ Heehee, Brock is amusing and it's very much like Ash not to notice a girl's affections. I can't wait to see the rest!

~Roxy~

You know, you're the first person I've seen to use correct script-formatting (or a close variation thereof, especially compared to crapfics I've seen that claim to use the same format). Cheers to you!

As it is, this is a good start. It sounds like an echo of the anime alright. You've gotten each character in-character so far -- an accomplishment for a Pokeshippy story, methinks.

I think I'll keep an eye on this one.

Very nice and the script is okay but does it have to be centered? :p

Part II

Yay, part the second. Thanks everyone for commenting so far. ^_^ Sorry if I messed up any of the Pokemon attacks in this chapter - my knowledge in that area is much sketchier than it ought to be.

Water Reunion!

Part II

*Ash is walking through the corridors of the gym, not paying attention to his surroundings. Eventually he finds himself outside the door to the battle arena. From inside comes the faint chatter of Pokémon, as well as Misty’s voice. Ash hesitates for a moment – then he decides against going in and begins to walk on by, to Pikachu’s disappointment.*

Misty:
Whoever’s out there, I can hear you.

*Ash freezes.*

Misty:
Daisy, is that you? Don’t think you’re getting out of this – there’s no reason why I should clean up your mess. Get in here and help me.

*After a pause, Ash sidles inside. Misty, who has been directing Politoed and Starmie with some lifting, turns around at last. When she sees who it is, her expression grows stony.*

Misty:
Oh, it’s you.

Ash:
Hi. Do you… need a hand or something?

Misty:
Thanks, but I’m doing fine by myself.

Ash:
Oh. OK. I’ll… just go, then.

*He turns to leave, and almost collides with someone running into the room.*

Callie:
Oops, sorry, I was – Ash! Hi there! How’s it going?

Ash:
Hi, Callie. Actually, I’m –

Misty:
What are you doing here?

Callie:
Misty… hey. Uh, I felt kinda bad about what happened to your pool. There were two of us battling, after all, and I have to take at least some responsibility - so I’m here to help out! Hand me a shovel and I’ll do anything you want.

*Misty stares at her, annoyed.*

Misty:
Thanks, but I don’t need help.

Callie:
Aw, don’t give me that! Come on, with Ash and I helping, you’ll be done in no time at all. Right, Ash?

Ash:
I –

Callie:
Then that’s settled!

*She grabs Ash by the arm and tugs him over to the pool, cheerfully oblivious to his reluctance or Misty’s glare.*

Misty: (muttering):
I’m starting to wish Gyrados had finished the job…

*Some time later, Ash, Misty, Callie and several of the gym’s Pokémon are working away on the repairs. Callie is chattering away to Ash; Misty, in contrast, is silent.*

Callie:
So, you’re a Pokémon trainer, right? That is one cute Pikachu you’ve got there. Say, can I pet it?

Ash:
Uh, Pikachu doesn’t always like –

*He stops. Callie has already picked up Pikachu and is scratching its ears. Ash is alarmed, but Pikachu doesn’t shock her – in fact, it seems to be quite enjoying the attention.*

Ash:
Wow, you must be good with Pokémon.

Misty (turning her nose up):
Hmm!

Callie:
Thanks. I doubt I’m as good as you. Have you been in any Leagues?

Ash:
Yeah, I was in the Indigo League, and the Johto League – and then there were the Orange Islands –

Callie:
Wow, cool! I’d love to enter one some day – if I can get all the badges, that is. Have you ever won anything?

Ash:
I won the Orange cup - and I was eighth in Johto.

Callie:
That is so awesome! Have you just got back from the Johto region?

*Misty tenses slightly. Ash pauses before answering.*

Ash:
No… the Hoenn region.

Callie:
Oh! So… didn’t you go in for that one, then?

*Pikachu’s ears droop; Ash looks uncomfortable. A few feet away, Misty stops her work and sits still, her back to the others.*

Ash:
…Yeah. I went in.

*He hesitates, then decides he might as well just say.*

Ash:
I was… in the top thirty-two.

Callie:
Well – that’s… that’s pretty good.

*Ash bows his head*

Ash:
Not good enough.

Misty:
You could have done better.

*Ash stares at Misty. She appears startled, as though she hadn’t meant to speak, but she still turns to look at Ash.*

Misty:
I know how hard you were training, and you should have been placed much higher. You might even have won. You’re good enough, Ash.

*Ash snorts*

Ash:
Right. Now you tell me.

Misty (taken-aback):
What’s that supposed to mean?

Ash:
Just saying. You could have said something earlier.

Misty:
I’m only trying to encourage you –

Ash:
Oh, really? Great job, there, Misty.

Misty:
What on earth are you whining about?

Ash:
I’m not whining!

Misty:
Yes, you are!

Ash:
Are not!

Misty:
Are too!

Ash:
Are not!

*Pikachu and Callie are following this exchange as though watching a tennis match.*

Misty:
You know, a little gratitude wouldn’t hurt, Ash!

Ash:
Gratitude for what? It’s not like you’ve been helping me out with much recently.

Misty:
That’s because I was here!

Ash:
So you couldn’t be bothered to pick up the phone once in a while?

Pikachu (increasingly nervous):
Pi-ka-chu, pika-pi…

Misty:
Hey, it’s not like you made much effort to get in contact either!

Ash (snidely):
I thought you said you were getting along fine without me.

Misty:
So I’m supposed to drop everything and rush to bail you out whenever you need someone to hold your hand?

Ash:
No, but I sure didn’t expect you to totally forget about me, either!

Misty:
What?

Callie:
O-kay, it’s been fun to watch and all, but maybe you guys should take a time out –

Misty:
You stay out of it!

Ash:
What are you yelling at her for, she didn’t do anything!

Misty:
Oh, right, defend her but start in on me for no reason? You’re unbelievable!

Ash:
I don’t know why I even came here!

Misty:
I don’t know why I even invited you!

*They glare at each other, sparks crackling in their eyes. At that moment, somebody nearby coughs. They look up to see Brock, May, Max and Daisy standing in the doorway, staring at them.*

Brock:
Should we ask?

Callie:
I’d advise against it.

Pikachu:
Pi-ka-chu.

May:
We came down when we heard yelling… is everything all right?

*Ash and Misty fold their arms, still scowling.*

Ash:
Everything’s fine.

Misty:
Nothing to see here.

*The looks on their faces make it clear that further inquiry would be unwise.*

Daisy:
Ooookay then…

Max:
Can’t argue with that.

*Brock notices Callie, and snaps into lover-boy mode once again.*

Brock:
My angel! You’re still here?

Misty:
Apparently.

Brock:
Then this day could surely not become any brighter! But those delicate hands of yours should not be put to work shifting all this rubble. Please, allow me!

*He rushes forward, seizes a huge slab of concrete, tries to lift it and ends up hopping sideways, straining under the weight.*

Brock:
Nothing – to it – whoa!

*He finally overbalances and topples into the pool.*

Misty:
Hey! I don’t need any more holes down there!

Callie:
Speaking of which – Daisy, I’m really sorry about what happened earlier. I hope you’ll let me fix the damage.

*Brock appears at the edge of the pool, gazing dreamily up at Callie.*

Brock:
So kind… so giving… so humble… what more could I ask for?

Max:
A sign that she acknowledges your existence?

*Brock hangs his head and slides back down into the pool.*

Daisy (to Callie, visibly brightening):
Oh! Well, sure, if you want to stay and help – and take full responsibility for the accident – then be my guest!

Misty:
That won’t be necessary.

Daisy:
Speak for yourself, little sister. I for one have a great feeling about this!

Callie:
There’s one more thing… would it be OK if I asked for a rematch?

Daisy:
Uh… like, right now? ‘Cause I was thinking of making a trip to the spa…

Misty:
Oh, no you don’t! You’re going to stay and help me in here!

Daisy (alarmed):
Aahh! On second thoughts, there’s nothing I’d like better than to give you a battle right now!

Callie:
All right!

Misty:
Hold on a second! Just where do you think you’re going to have this battle?

Max:
How about that big swimming pool I saw next door? With all the seats?

Daisy:
You mean the one we use for our underwater shows? I guess that’d work if we threw in some floats…

Misty:
Great, another chance for you to blow something up.

Daisy:
Oh, Misty, don’t be silly! I promise to, like, be totally careful this time.

Misty:
Whatever.

Daisy:
Then it’s settled! So, uh, Misty – I guess I’ll just borrow a few of your Pokémon again –

Misty:
What? Forget it! Use your own!

Daisy:
But my own aren’t as accustomed to battling as yours! Pleeeeease, Misty, don’t you want our gym to succeed?

*Misty hesitates, her desire to see Callie beaten warring with her wish to keep the gym intact.*

Misty:
I suppose… but I still don’t want you using my Pokémon. (drawing herself up) I’m going to fight this match myself.

*Reactions to this announcement vary between excitement (May and Max) and worry (everyone else).*

Brock:
This… could get interesting.

Ash:
That’s one way of putting it.

*Callie gulps and gives a nervous laugh.*

*A short while later, Misty and Callie stand on opposite sides of an impromptu battlefield. Fire blazes in Misty’s eyes; Callie, despite her apprehension, also looks determined to win. Ash and the group, plus Daisy, sit on the sidelines, while Brock referees.*

Brock:
This battle between the Cerulean Gym leader, Misty, and the challenger, Callie, will be three on three with no time limit. The match will begin… now!

Misty:
All right, then - Corsola, I choose you!

*She sends out Corsola.*

Callie:
Hmm… in that case, I choose Wigglytuff!

*Wigglytuff appears in a flash of red light on one of the floats. The spectators all react with interest (except Daisy, who is filing her nails), and May looks it up on her Pokédex.*

Pokédex:
Wigglytuff: the balloon Pokémon. This Pokémon has a very fine fur. When angry, it may inflate steadily and hit its foe with a Body Slam attack.

Max:
That’s a surprising choice. Corsola’s part rock, so its defences should be strong against a normal type.

May:
Max, you should know by now that a type advantage doesn’t prove anything.

Max:
I do know, I was just making an observation –

Ash:
Hey, you guys, you’re missing the match!

*May and Max jump and return their attention to the battlefield. Corsola is using a Tackle attack, which Wigglytuff dodges.*

Callie:
Wigglytuff, use Body Slam!

Misty:
Harden, Corsola!

*Wigglytuff bounces harmlessly off Corsola’s hardened skin.*

Misty:
Now try Spike Cannon!

*Corsola fires beads of energy from the points on its body. Wigglytuff takes a direct hit and falls back.*

Callie:
Wigglytuff – um – oh! Use Defence Curl!

*Wigglytuff curls up, and its skin shines pearly white.*

Misty:
Bubblebeam attack!

*Corsola fires a Bubblebeam, but it does little damage now that Wigglytuff’s defence has been raised.*

Callie:
Hah! You’re not the only one who can use that trick!

Misty (growling):
We’ll just see who’s laughing in a moment… Corsola! Wrap this up with Ice Beam!

Callie:
Ice Beam? Uh-oh! Uh – let’s see…

*Corsola is charging up.*

Callie:
Aaah! Oh… wait! I’ve got it! Wigglytuff, use Light Screen!

*Just as the Ice Beam fires, Wigglytuff glows and a clear, shimmering window appears before it. Corsola’s attack strikes the pane, coating it with ice; then it shatters, dissipating both attacks. Misty looks shocked, Callie triumphant.*

Max:
Whoa, smart strategy.

Pikachu:
Ka-chu!

Misty:
We’re not out of this yet. Corsola, use Ancient Power!

*Corsola begins to charge up for another attack. However, Callie has now gained confidence and is unconcerned.*

Callie:
Hate to disappoint, but I have another weapon in my arsenal. Wigglytuff – Sing!

*Wigglytuff opens its mouth and begins to sing a familiar tune, if with slightly different words; Ash, May, Max and Brock all yelp and slam their hands over their ears. Corsola’s attack flickers and dies. It sways on its feet, eyes drooping.*

Misty:
Oh, no! Corsola, hang in there!

*It gradually dawns on Ash, May, Max and Brock that Sing isn’t having any effect on them. Cautiously, they lower their hands.*

May:
Hey, how come we aren’t falling asleep?

Max:
Maybe because Wigglytuff’s an evolved form, it can control its attacks better?

*Brock is gazing at Callie with big wobbly eyes, his hands clasped together.*

Brock:
Such skill and resourcefulness… the challenger Callie is clearly a lady of exceptional talent! You can do it, O light of my life!

Misty:
Brock, you’re supposed to be impartial! Corsola, try and shake it off!

*Despite Misty’s best efforts, the soporific effect is too strong. Corsola struggles for a few more seconds, and then collapses, snoring.*

Misty:
Aaahh, come on, Corsola! You have to wake up!

Callie (winking):
Sorry, but I’m not going to wait around. Wigglytuff, finish up with Double-Edge!

*Wigglytuff rams into the sleeping Corsola, sending it bouncing across the floats. Finally it comes to rest by Misty’s feet, knocked out.*

Callie:
Yes!

Misty:
No way!

*The spectators are almost as surprised to see Corsola lose as Misty. Even Daisy is now sitting up and taking an interest.*

Daisy:
Like, wow, what an upset!

May:
I’ll say. (to Max) Told you type advantages don’t matter.

Max:
And I told you, I know that!

*Oblivious to the siblings’ squabbles, Ash is watching Misty. She looks shaken by Callie’s first-round victory.*

Misty (bowing her head):
Corsola, return.

*She recalls Corsola and moves to select another Pokémon. Her hand hovers over her collection of Poké-balls, uncertain which one to choose next.*

Ash:
Hey, Misty!

*She looks over at him, startled.*

Ash:
You can still win this if you stay focussed! Wigglytuff isn’t very fast, so try speed attacks!

*Surprised that he is offering her advice after their fight, Misty continues to stare at him for a second – then she snaps out of it, and nods.*

Misty:
I know just what to do. Starmie, come on out!

*She throws a Poké-ball, and Starmie appears.*

Misty (in her head):
Wigglytuff’s already taken some damage, so a couple of good attacks should finish it off. (aloud) Starmie, try Water Gun!

*Starmie fires at Wigglytuff, which doesn’t get out of the way in time and is doused in water.*

Callie:
Fight back with Rollout!

*Wigglytuff rolls into a ball and cannons towards Starmie, straight through the spurting water.*

Misty:
Dodge it, Starmie!

*Starmie turns on its edge and cartwheels out of the way.*

Callie:
Huh! It’s fast…

Misty:
You haven’t seen anything yet. Starmie, use Swift!

*Starmie spins in mid-air, and a spray of golden stars shoot from its points in all directions. Wigglytuff tries to dodge by hopping across the floats, but the stars change their course and rocket after it until they connect, sending it flying. Callie gasps.*

Misty:
Unfortunately for you, Swift never misses. Starmie, finish it with Rapid Spin!

*Starmie spins through the air like a Catherine Wheel. Wigglytuff squeals as it is struck and skids backwards. When it comes to a halt, it has been knocked out.*

Callie:
Oh, no…

*May and Max cheer for Misty, and even Daisy claps. Ash just looks at her, smiling.*

Ash:
She’s really gotten good while I was away…

*Brock is the only one of the watchers who isn’t pleased with the new development.*

Brock (tearfully):
It looks like it’s all over for Wigglytuff… (suddenly perking up) but the challenger still has two Pokémon in reserve! This match can be turned around yet to bring victory to the beautiful Callie, rising star and mistress of my heart –

Misty:
BROCK!

*Brock jumps.*

Misty:
Will you stop messing around and get on with what you’re supposed to be doing?

Brock:
Uh… so… back to the match, then?

Misty, May and Max:
Yes!

*Brock sighs and speaks in a monotone.*

Brock:
And now this match will continue with another Pokémon selected…

*Callie, who has been staring at Brock with a disturbed expression, shakes herself, recalls Wigglytuff and reaches for another Poké-ball.*

Callie:
Maybe it’s time for a simpler strategy. Go, Magnemite!

*Misty and the watchers gasp as Magnemite appears, hovering above the water.*

Misty (in her head):
Uh-oh, an electric type… but maybe I can win if Starmie gets it underwater. (out loud) Starmie, go for a Tackle attack!

Callie:
Magnemite, Thunderbolt!

*As Starmie Tackles, Magnemite fires off a wave of electricity. It zaps Starmie, knocking it out with ease.*

Misty:
Awww, that was fast…

*The watchers all groan.*

Max:
And she was doing really well… (to May, smugly) I guess type advantages make a difference after all.

May (glaring):
I thought you were agreeing with me.

Ash (ignoring them):
This isn’t good - all Misty has are water types.

Pikachu:
Pika-pika.

*Misty recalls Starmie and holds her final Poké-ball in her hand, a look of intense concentration upon her face. Soon, May and Max’s bickering peters out, and they and the rest of the spectators stare at her with bated breath.*

Misty:
This is it, then. I choose… Gyrados!

*She throws the Poké-ball, and Gyrados appears. It roars, shaking the walls of the gym. Callie flinches, remembering what happened the last time she encountered this Pokémon.*

May:
…OK, I guess that evens the odds.

Max:
Don’t say that just yet – Gyrados is really weak to electricity.

*Callie stares up at Gyrados in fear; then she narrows her eyes.*

Callie:
That thing doesn’t scare me. Magnemite, try another Thunderbolt!

Misty:
Gyrados, use Hyper Beam!

*The two Pokémon fire off their attacks simultaneously, sending up a huge spray of water that soaks Misty, Callie and Brock. Everybody shields their eyes against the dazzling light filling the room, but Ash squints through his fingers, trying to make out the silhouettes of Gyrados and Magnemite. Which one will be the victor?*

<AD BREAK>​

Another great chapter and battle, Jo-Jo! This was a great idea for the ficlet exchange and I'm looking fo :lx :yawn: 248:

I like this fic! I loved the conflict between Ash and Misty and how you portray the charachters very well. The battle scene was amazing too. Normally, I don't like script format, but this is better than most normal formats

I'll just add to what everyone else has said: you've written a good fic and have managed to keep everyone in-character. The battle scene was well written, too.

It was good but they use the same pool for battles and performances. At least it seemed that way in the anime.

W00t! Thanks, guys. ^_^
Furaigon said:
It was good but they use the same pool for battles and performances. At least it seemed that way in the anime.
Hmm... I wondered about that. It did look from the anime as though they might have just used the same pool, but I ended up deciding there was enough ambiguity for me to make two separate ones. 'Cause, y'know, plot device. ;)

Next part! It suddenly occurred to me that the Hoenn League is about to begin in Japan soon and inevitably contradict the entire premise of the fic, so I might as well try and pump out the rest of it before then. So, with this addition, I must be... oh, at least a third of the way through. ^^; Oh well...

Water Reunion!

Part III

*The light filling the gym is blinding. The Hyper Beam attack meets the Thunderbolt head-on and eclipses it, sending a massive outpouring of energy towards Magnemite. At last, the glare dies down, and everyone is able to look up and see what happened. Gyrados looks unharmed, and Magnemite is floating, unconscious, on the surface of the pool. There is a stunned pause; then Misty smiles to herself, breathing a sigh of relief.*

Max (wiping water droplets off his glasses):
That was kinda overkill, wouldn’t you say?

Daisy:
Like, I’m with him.

May:
Oh, Max, don’t make a fuss. Way to go, Misty!

*At that moment, unnoticed by any of them, the doors at the back of the room slide open. A teenage boy sidles inside, and stops dead when he sees that a match is on. After a second’s pause, he moves to stand against the wall and watch the rest of the battle.*

Brock (miserably):
Magnemite is definitely unable to battle. The challenger is down to one remaining Pokémon.

*A disgruntled Callie wipes her dripping hair out of her face, recalls Magnemite and holds out her last Poké-ball.*

Callie:
Looks like it’s up to you. Come on out, Vileplume! Use Petal Dance!

*Vileplume appears in a flash of red light, and immediately starts its Petal Dance. Misty, surprising, is unworried.*

Misty:
Gyrados, roast that attack with Flamethrower!

*Gyrados breathes a long stream of fire, incinerating the petals. They fall, still burning, out of the air; Vileplume has to hop around to avoid them. Callie gasps.*

Callie:
That thing knows fire attacks?

Misty:
You’d better believe it. Now, Gyrados, aim another Flamethrower at Vileplume!

*Gyrados breathes in; Callie does some quick thinking.*

Callie:
Vileplume, dive under!

*Just before the Flamethrower hits, Vileplume leaps from its float into the water.*

Callie:
Hah! No Flamethrower’s going to work underwater.

Misty:
Maybe not, but you’ve just made a big mistake. Water Pokémon always have the edge in the water. Tackle it, Gyrados!

*Gyrados snakes through the water and rams hard into Vileplume, knocking it back.*

Callie:
Use Acid!

*Vileplume shoots a stream of thick, viscous ooze from its head, which forms a cloud all around it, turning the water black.*

Misty:
Swim back, Gyrados! You’ll be poisoned if you get near that!

*Gyrados retreats to the opposite end of the pool. Misty and Callie both hesitate, trying to think of a solution. It looks as though they might have reached a stalemate.*

Misty (to herself):
Looks like I was wrong – I need to get Vileplume out of the water if I’m going to get a clear shot at it. But with that Acid in the way… (out loud) Wait a minute! I’ve got it! Gyrados, Twister attack!

*With a roar, Gyrados begins to swim round and round in a circle, making the waters churn.*

Callie:
Twister…? What is that?

*She soon gets her answer. Gyrados’s thrashing has caused a small whirlpool to appear, which then grows steadily until it has formed what looks like a tornado made entirely out of water. Vileplume tries to swim away, but is sucked in and whirls helplessly around inside the cyclone. At last, the attack comes to an end. Vileplume hangs in the air for a split second, looking dazed - then it begins to drop back down towards the pool.*

Misty:
Quick, use Flamethrower!

*Gyrados breathes a column of flame, torching Vileplume as it falls. The blackened plant Pokémon hits the water and sinks under. When it floats back up to the surface, it has clearly been knocked out. There is a pause while everybody takes in this sight – then a wide grin appears on Misty’s face.*

Misty (pumping a fist into the air):
YES!

Brock:
The challenger is out of Pokémon. Misty is the winner.

*He heaves a sigh. Meanwhile, Callie recalls Vileplume, trying to hide her disappointment.*

Callie:
Good job, Vileplume. I guess she was just better than me.

*May, Max, Pikachu and Daisy are cheering loudly. Ash claps, a slightly wistful smile upon his face.*

Max:
That was quite a match. Boy, I’m glad I wasn’t the one going up against Misty!

May:
I’ll say. She did great, but she can be a little scary at times.

Ash:
Yeah, but that’s why I like her.

Max:
What did you say?

Ash:
Uh, I said that’s why we like her! Right, Pikachu?

*Pikachu sweatdrops. Meanwhile, Misty recalls Gyrados, still beaming. Eventually, they all settle down - however, someone is still clapping. They all look around to see whom, and notice the boy who came in halfway through. He is applauding loudly, staring at Misty in admiration.*

Boy:
That was some battle! That Gyrados of yours is incredibly strong.

Misty:
Uh… thank you. Who are you?

Boy:
My name’s Tobias. I was just in the area, and I thought I’d check out your gym. I sure am glad I did. You’re Daisy, right?

Misty:
Actually, I’m -

*Daisy shoots up, pushing Misty out of the way. She is smiling hugely and has a faint blush upon her face.*

Daisy:
Like, that would be me! I’m the gym leader here, as well as one of the world-famous Sensational Sisters and five-times editor and star of the Cerulean swimsuit calendar. I just thought I’d, y’know, let my little sister here – (pats Misty on the head) – take care of this battle – only since she, like, insisted –

*Misty flattens her hair back down, scowling.*

Misty:
Oh, please. You couldn’t battle your way out of a paper bag.

*Daisy goes red and glares at her. The others have by now made their way over, except Callie, who is hanging back.*

May (to Tobias):
Hi, there. Are you here for a Cascade badge?

Tobias:
Heh, not today. I just felt like seeing how things were done in a water gym. I’m a water Pokémon trainer myself, you see.

Max:
No kidding?

Brock:
Looks like Misty might have some competition, then.

Pikachu:
Chaaaaa!

Tobias (laughing):
I’d be sure to think twice before going up against Misty.

*At this, Misty looks rather flattered. Ash notices and frowns.*

Ash (under his breath):
Huh. What a wimp.

*Misty overhears and glares at him, offended.*

May:
So, Tobias, it sounds like you’re planning on entering the Indigo League.

Max:
You know, Ash here went in for it, a couple of years ago.

Tobias:
Really?

Ash:
Yeah, that’s right. (bragging) And I was in the top sixteen.

Misty:
Show-off.

*Ash folds his arms and scowls at her.*

Ash:
Not that I’d have made it that far if all I’d ever used were water Pokémon…

*His words end in a yelp as Misty zooms up and pinches his ear.*

Misty:
What was that?

Ash:
Well, it’s true!

Tobias:
Actually, you’re right, Ash. Which is why I’m not entering the Indigo League.

Max:
Oh. Then… what are you doing?

May (hissing):
Max, that wasn’t very polite!

Tobias:
It’s fine. I probably shouldn’t be telling you guys this, but… well, you’ll all be hearing about it before long anyway. I’m planning on entering – (dramatic pause) – the Elemental League.

*His words have the desired effect; everyone is now staring at him, intrigued (although Ash is trying to pretend not to be).*

Daisy:
Like, what is the Elemental League?

*Tobias looks around as though checking for eavesdroppers, then leans forward in a conspiratorial manner.*

Tobias:
It’s a new idea from the Pokémon League. You see, the difficulty for people like myself who specialise in one Pokémon type is that it’s way harder for us to take part in normal competitions. If we do, our opponents just use Pokémon with type advantages. We have to be ten times stronger than regular trainers just to keep up with them. It’s a real problem. So the Elemental League was invented to change all that. It has separate divisions for water, fire, ice, electric – you name it. You sign yourself up under a certain type when you enter, and then you’ll only have to battle other trainers who use that type.

*The others are all hanging onto his words – Misty and Daisy, in particular, have stars in their eyes. Only Ash remains unimpressed.*

Daisy:
That is, like, such a cool idea! I can’t believe no-one’s thought of it before!

Misty:
I bet it’ll completely change the way people see Pokémon training!

Brock:
There’s one thing I’m still wondering about. If this is classified information, how do you know about it?

Tobias:
Ah - er… I have an uncle working in the League.

*Ash folds his arms.*

Ash:
Well, I don’t think it sounds all that great. If you’re only going to face Pokémon that are the same type as your own, then where’s the challenge?

*Misty and Daisy glare at him.*

Misty:
Ash, you don’t know what it’s like being a water Pokémon trainer! It’s really hard when a weaker opponent can just pull out a few grass or electric types and beat you without trying –

Ash:
Oh yeah? A great Pokémon trainer ought to be able to win even against a type disadvantage.

Misty:
Not when all of your Pokémon are at a disadvantage!

Ash:
Well, your Gyrados just beat a Magnemite and a Vileplume – what does that tell you?

Tobias:
Hmm… he might have a point there.

Callie (hurt):
Hey!

Ash (absent-mindedly):
Sorry. (back to Misty) But saying that you can only battle other water Pokémon is like saying you’re not good enough to take on anything tougher.

Misty:
It’s not, all it’s doing is making things fairer, like Tobias said –

Ash:
Oh, if Tobias said it…

Misty:
You’re really something, you know that, Ash? This League could be a great opportunity, and all you can do is complain.

Ash:
Hey, it’s not as if you’re going to enter or anything.

Misty:
I have a good mind to!

Ash:
What?

Daisy, Brock, May and Max:
What?

Misty:
You heard me! I think it’d be great if I entered!

*There is a pregnant pause. After a few seconds, Daisy breaks it.*

Daisy:
Uh, Misty – in case you’re, like, forgetting, you’re still a gym leader here.

*Another pause. Then -*

Misty (not meeting Daisy’s eyes):
Not for much longer.

Daisy:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on. Are you saying -?

Misty:
I – I think I need some time away from here. I’m sorry, Daisy… I’m quitting.

*Daisy gapes at her.*

Daisy:
But - the gym –

Misty:
As soon as the inspector arrives and you’ve proven yourself fit to run it, you can take the gym over.

Daisy:
But you’re –

*She breaks off, looking as though she’s undergoing a great struggle. Eventually, she manages to force the words out, cringing.*

Daisy:
You’re – you’re – you’re a – a – (mumbling) tnybtbtrm.

Misty:
Huh?

Daisy (slightly louder):
You’re maybe a tiny little bit better than me.

Misty (grinning):
What was that? Speak up.

Daisy (normal volume):
All right, all right! I said you’re better than me!

*She gives a huge shudder. Misty is now wearing a grin that makes her resemble the Cheshire Cat.*

Misty:
And don’t you forget it. (seriously) But Daisy… you can’t rely on me forever. I know you can run this gym. You have talent; you just need to use your brain in battle once in a while. Assuming that’s not asking too much…

Daisy:
Watch it.

*She heaves a sigh.*

Daisy:
…Like, OK, fine. You can go. If I pass.

*Misty lets out a whoop and hugs her sister.*

Misty:
Yay! Thank you, Daisy! And don’t worry, I know that you’ll pass.

*Everyone else is smiling at the tender moment – except for Ash, who looks troubled.*

Ash:
But Misty, if you enter the League, you’ll be travelling all over the place.

Misty:
Why is that a problem?

Ash:
Well… it’s just… what if we want to meet up or something? It’ll be harder than usual…

Misty:
Hmmph. It’s not as if you take much time to visit me at the moment.

*Ash glares at her.*

Ash:
Fine. Do whatever you want.

Misty (rolling her eyes):
Thanks for your permission. I will.

May:
So then… it’s settled?

Misty:
Looks like it. (starting to smile) I guess I’m going to the Elemental League!

Tobias:
I think it’s a brilliant idea, Misty. You’d do really well in a water tournament.

Misty (smiling at him):
Thank you. It’s nice that someone believes in me.

*The last part was directed at Ash. He glowers at her and Tobias (who is oblivious to this, focussed entirely upon Misty). Callie notices and looks saddened.*

Brock:
I think this news calls for a celebration. (scooting closer to Callie) Wouldn’t you agree?

*Callie isn’t paying attention. She is staring at Ash, Tobias and Misty with the same wistful expression. Daisy overhears, however.*

Daisy:
That, like, sounds like a great idea to me! I think we should celebrate with a big dinner. What do you say?

*Ash and Misty both perk up immediately.*

Ash:
Sure, I’m starving!

Pikachu:
Pika-pika!

Misty:
Are you going to cook, Daisy?

Daisy:
I was thinking of letting Mr. Wong cook for us.

Misty:
…Isn’t that the name of the Chinese take-out up the road?

Daisy:
You got it!

*Misty sweat drops.*

Misty:
Typical. At least we’ll all survive this way.

Tobias:
Well, maybe I should stop intruding. I’ll let you guys get on.

*He shoots a final glance at Misty before turning to leave. Daisy, however, grabs hold of his arm.*

Daisy:
Like, don’t be silly! I’m inviting you along, too!

Ash:
Huh?

Tobias:
Really? Oh! Thank you, that’s really nice of you.

Daisy:
Well, you were, like, the one who told us about the League, so it only seems fair.

Misty:
Sounds good to me.

*She smiles at Tobias, who comes over slightly flustered and starts to blush. Ash scowls at them, while May and Daisy titter. They all drift towards the door. Daisy catches hold of Misty’s arm, drags her away from Tobias and whispers in her ear.*

Daisy:
Looks like you could be in with a chance there, little sister! Like, try not to blow it, OK?

Misty (blushing):
What? Oh – Daisy! It’s not – I mean, he’s nice, but – hey, I thought you liked him?

*Daisy waves a hand dismissively.*

Daisy:
Oh, like, don’t be silly, Misty. That was so three minutes ago. You take him.

*Misty’s face is by now a deep crimson. She shoos Daisy away, mumbling half-hearted denials. Ash, who has overheard the entire exchange, watches her walk by with narrowed eyes.*

<AD BREAK>

I like the idea of the Elemental League, that'd be cool if it was really in the anime.

Jo-Jo said:
Daisy:
Oh, like, don’t be silly, Misty. That was so three minutes ago.
XD

It's really in the style of the anime, it's brilliant. And you've kept Ash and Misty in character, with their trademark bickering! Excellent!

I like this story. I love the concept of the Elemental League, and it is slightly reminiscent of the Whirl Cup that Misty competed in. It'll be interesting to see how the Tobias/Misty/Ash triangle plays out.

It is like the Whirl Cup but has it for all types. Would they have to get badges like the other leagues? That'd be interesting, it could test there skills and stuff like the Orange Island gyms did.

Yay, reviews! ^_^ Thanks, everyone!

I have to admit, I never saw the Whirl Cup... it only occurred to me when I was already halfway through the chapter that the concepts were rather similar. ^^; Oops. Oh well. I guess I imagined 'gyms' for the Elemental League as being closer to the Orange Island models, perhaps with type-specific obstacle courses. To be honest, I don't have it that well planned out, as the fic doesn't cover Misty's journey, just the events leading up to it.

Don't worry about it. What's canon is canon; what's in your fic is from your imagination. Keep updating!

Well, the Hoenn League has now aired and contradicted at least half of this fic. lol. Never mind, I think I can just about squeeze it in under the 'AU' blanket. Anyway, here's part the fourth:

Water Reunion!

Part IV

*Some time later, the entire group is seated around the dinner table. Misty is sitting next to Tobias and opposite Ash, who is next to Callie. Neither Ash nor Misty look pleased with this arrangement, although Misty still makes an attempt to follow the conversation Tobias is trying to engage her in. Callie, in contrast, is picking at her food, not speaking.*

May:
This is all delicious.

Max:
My compliments to the chef.

Daisy:
Like, I’ll be glad to accept that compliment on his behalf!

*Brock is hovering eagerly by Callie’s elbow.*

Brock (to Callie):
More noodles, my darling?

*He holds out the plate of noodles, then grabs more of the dishes near to him.*

Brock:
Chow mein? King prawns? Sweet and sour? Bean sprouts? An engagement ring?

*By now, he is trying to balance a gigantic stack of plates in his arms. Callie isn’t paying him any attention.*

Callie:
Hmm? Oh. No thanks.

*Sweat beads on Brock’s forehead as the plates begin to wobble. Meanwhile, Misty shoots a covert scowl towards Callie.*

Misty (muttering):
Why is she still here?

*Nobody answers her.*

Tobias:
You know, I don’t think I’ve eaten Chinese since I was in Fuchsia City in August.

Misty:
Fuchsia? We were there too, a few years back. Did you meet Koga, the gym leader?

Tobias:
No, it was more of a sightseeing visit. I looked around the gym, though - one of those fake walls nearly killed me!

*He laughs. Ash looks disappointed.*

Ash:
‘Nearly’?

Misty (to Tobias):
I sure wish I’d been able to sightsee while I was in Fuchsia City. But Ash wanted to rush straight to the gym.

*She gives Ash a dirty look; he sticks his tongue out at her.*

Ash:
Why would I waste my time goofing off when there was a badge out there for me to get?

Misty:
Yeah, goofing off is one thing you never do.

Ash:
Oh right, unlike Miss ‘let’s mooch around and shop all day’.

Misty (loftily):
I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that you still seem to believe everyone’s lives ought to revolve around your quest to become a Pokémon master…

May:
You can say that again. Say, Ash, how many fights did we get into over whether we should go to your next gym or my next contest?

Max:
At least ten.

*Misty and May share a look of amused commiseration. Ash bristles.*

Ash (to Misty):
Hey, it’s not like I was forcing you and Brock to come along with me. You could have stayed behind and taken in the sights if you’d wanted to.

Misty:
Maybe I should have. It would have been a better use of my time.

*Ash is actually quite hurt by this, but tries to cover it up with nastiness.*

Ash:
Oh, yeah? Shame you didn’t. I bet I wouldn’t have wasted so much time falling into those traps without you whining in my ear the whole time about how tired you were.

Misty:
I never did that!

Ash:
Please, it’s all you ever did. That and get us lost.

*He’s got to her now. Misty flushes scarlet, her voice rising a whole octave.*

Misty:
If that’s how you feel about me, I’m glad I’m not travelling with you any more!

Ash:
Good, then we agree on something.

*Misty’s jaw drops.*

Misty:
Brock, are you hearing this?

*Brock is still straining not to drop the stack of plates and therefore hasn’t heard a word. Misty makes a noise of impatience and leans towards Ash, slamming her hand on the table. Everyone else has now fallen silent and is watching the argument with increasing unease.*

Misty:
Listen, mister, if you think you could have made it to the Indigo League without me, think again!

Ash (sarcastically):
Yeah, I would have been lost without you jumping a mile every time we came near a bug.

Misty:
With the amount of times I’ve gotten you out of trouble, it’s a miracle you even made it to Evergrande City!

Ash:
Well gee, I guess since I made it there just fine, you must not have gotten me out of trouble as much as you think!

Misty:
Yeah, you made it all right – straight into the thirty-second spot. Gee, you’ve sure improved.

*Ash leaps to his feet. Misty’s sneer wavers as she realises she’s gone too far.*

Ash:
You know something? Even if I’d been knocked out in the first round, I’d still be a better trainer than you.

Misty:
Excuse me?

Ash:
What have you ever done that’s so great, huh? I don’t recall seeing you going out earning badges or entering Leagues. Some water trainer you are!

*Misty slams her chair back and stands up, too, fists clenched.*

Misty:
Tell me, Ash, who beat who in the Whirl Cup, again?

Ash:
You only won that round by accident. You didn’t even mean to call out Psyduck.

Misty:
Oh, you are so pathetic! You still can’t deal with losing to me, can you?

*Ash begins to mimic her in a high-pitched voice.*

Ash:
“I didn’t lose anything, it was a draw! You know you lost with Butterfree! If Team Rocket hadn’t showed up, I would have destroyed you!”

*Misty is shaking with anger. Tobias holds out a cautionary hand, but she swats him away.*

Misty:
Ash Ketchum, you are the most self-centred, rude, mean person I’ve ever met, and I’m glad you only made it into the top thirty-two in the League! You don’t deserve any better!

Ash:
The only reason I didn’t place higher was that –

*He breaks off, suddenly realising what he’d almost let slip.*

Misty:
Was that you behaved like an idiot, that’s why! I heard all about it from Tracey – how you wanted to keep up your “fresh start” and only use your Hoenn Pokémon. Out with the old, in with the new, huh, Ash? I guess you didn’t want to waste a second on your old friends –

Ash:
You don’t know what you’re talking about! I care about all of my Pokémon!

Misty:
Oh, lucky them!

Ash:
What’s more, I’d be happy to prove it any time you want!

Misty:
Watch out, Ash, or I might make you put your money where your big fat mouth is!

Ash:
Go ahead, see if I care!

Misty:
Fine! In that case, I challenge you to a battle right now!

Ash:
You’re on! Corphish, I choose you!

Misty:
Staryu, go!

*They send out Corphish and Staryu. Daisy, who up until now had been following the fight with her mouth open, suddenly realises that things are about to get messy and jumps up, waving her arms.*

Daisy:
No! Not in here!

Ash:
Corphish, Bubblebeam!

Misty:
Staryu, Harden!

*There is a mad scramble as everyone tries to get themselves and the food out of the way of Corphish’s attack. The bubbles bounce off Staryu and ricochet all over the room; Max holds up a plate as a shield, which smashes, raining shards of china down on him. May, who is already clutching Pikachu, grabs his hand and drags them both under the table, where most of the others are by now taking cover.*

Misty:
Now, Staryu, use Tackle!

*Staryu Tackles over the top of the table. Brock, who is the only bystander not cowering underneath, yelps and lurches out of the way. The plates in his arms sway dangerously. Corphish takes the hit and falls back.*

Ash:
Corphish, Crabhammer!

*Corphish’s claw glows white, and it hammers Staryu, sending it flying backwards, directly towards Brock. Brock ducks quickly; the top plate is whipped off and smashes.*

Misty:
Fight back with Swift!

*Staryu rights itself in mid-air, and shoots golden stars towards Corphish. Brock has to weave and dodge. Suddenly, one of the stars hits him in the back, and he trips. The watchers under the table all gasp. For a heart-stopping moment, the plates soar through the air in a graceful arc; then Brock dives forward and catches them all, one on top of the other. Breathing a sigh of relief, he puts them down on the table.*

Max:
Whoa, that was close!

Daisy:
Way too close! Stop fighting, you two!

*Ash and Misty take no notice.*

Misty:
Use Confuse Ray!

Ash:
Bubblebeam, Corphish!

*The Pokémon fire their attacks simultaneously. This time, Staryu takes a pummelling from the Bubblebeam, and slides down the wall, its jewel flashing on and off.*

Misty:
No! Staryu!

Ash:
Hah! Who’s better now?

Misty:
This isn’t over yet!

Ash:
Then it’s time for me to finish it. Corphish, Crabhammer, one more time!

*Corphish raises its claw. However, it isn’t facing the right way to attack Staryu. Ash and Misty both suddenly realise that the Confuse Ray has taken effect after all; Corphish’s eyes have crossed, and it’s swaying from side to side. Ash’s eyes widen as it hits him what is about to happen.*

Ash:
Corphish, no -!

*Too late. Corphish brings down a Crabhammer attack - right in the middle of the table. It splits in half, sending food and crockery (and Brock’s stack of plates) crashing down on top of the group huddling underneath. The air is rent with screams and breaking china. Finally, a stunned silence settles on the room. Then Daisy’s voice rings out.*

Daisy (hysterically):
Why does everything in this place keep blowing up!?

*Nobody answers her. Ash and Misty are both panting, their gazes locked. Misty’s eyes are suspiciously bright. Suddenly, she turns on her heel and stalks out of the room. Ash watches her go, his anger fading and discomfort seeping in. Daisy, May, Max, Callie and Tobias all struggle out from under the wreckage of the meal. They all look shell-shocked, apart from Daisy, who is speechless with fury.*

Max (cleaning his glasses):
Well, that was memorable.

*Tobias peers through the open door.*

Tobias:
Maybe I should go after her…

Ash (glaring):
What, can’t bear to be separated from her?

*At this, Callie finally snaps.*

Callie:
Oh, why don’t you just both go after her? Ugh, Misty was right, you are pathetic!

*She stamps her foot. Everyone stares at her, surprised to see her angry; she’s always seemed so laid-back up until now. May, however, looks from Callie to Ash, beginning to put two and two together.*

Daisy:
Look, I don’t know what’s going on between all of you, but whoever goes after her can tell her from me that she’s grounded from now until forever!

*Tobias takes a step towards the door. Ash looks about to spit nails. Seeing this, Brock quickly grabs May and Max and hurries forward.*

Brock:
Don’t worry, we’ll go. Come on, guys.

*He drags May and Max to the door. Tobias looks disappointed, Ash and Callie relieved. Daisy rounds on Ash.*

Daisy:
And, like, as for you -

*Ash hangs his head.*

Ash:
I’m really sorry, Daisy.

*Daisy halts mid-word, taken aback.*

Daisy:
Uhhh… really?

Ash:
Yeah. It was dumb to start fighting like that - I wasn’t thinking. I promise, I’ll clear everything up. And I’ll try to pay you back for the damage, too.

Daisy (slightly pacified):
Oh… well… I guess you don’t need to, like, worry about that… it was Misty’s fault, too.

*Ash looks even guiltier.*

Ash:
I shouldn’t have said that stuff. About how she only got us lost. It wasn’t true - I do miss her –

*He breaks off, red in the face.*

Ash:
Uh – you know, sometimes.

*Daisy begins to grin.*

Daisy (to herself):
Wow, go little sister. Maybe she did get some of the good looks in the family after all. (out loud) Say, Ash… I think she misses you too, you know.

*Ash’s face darkens.*

Ash (muttering):
Yeah, right.

*Brock is striding through the corridors of the gym, a grim expression on his face. May and Max trot along behind, struggling to keep up.*

May:
Gosh, that was the scariest argument I’ve ever seen in my life.

Max:
I’ll say. And I’ve seen you and Drew fighting.

May:
Brock, were they always like this when you guys were travelling together?

*Brock shakes his head.*

Brock:
They used to bicker a lot, but never that badly. Something’s up. And I have a feeling it’s got something to do with what happened at the Hoenn League.

*May and Max look surprised.*

Max:
Huh? But Misty wasn’t even at the Hoenn League.

Brock:
Exactly.

*Suddenly, he comes to a halt; May and Max almost bump into him. They are standing outside the door to the arena where the Sensational Sisters put on their shows. Misty is visible inside, sitting by the edge of the pool, her knees drawn up to her chin.*

May:
Misty!

*Misty looks up. Her eyes are slightly red.*

Misty:
Hi, guys.

*Brock, May and Max walk towards her. They hesitate a few feet away, nervous to approach her.*

Max:
Um… how are you doing?

*Misty gives a hollow laugh.*

Misty:
I’m great. Everything’s perfect.

Brock:
You can tell us if something’s wrong, you know.

Misty:
I know. Thank you. (sighing) I’m sorry. I haven’t been a very good hostess.

Max:
I have to admit, I’m not used to hostesses who try to bury me in Chinese.

May:
Max, shush!

Brock (to Misty):
It’s obvious something’s been getting to you lately. We’re your friends – come on, talk to us.

*A ghost of a smile appears on Misty’s face.*

Misty:
I think I’d like to talk to someone. It’s been so hard, keeping it a secret. You don’t know how many times I almost told you, when we were travelling together. But it could complicate things even more…

Brock:
It’s OK… we won’t judge you. We want to help.

Misty:
I…

*She pauses. For a moment, it looks as though she’s going to tell them everything.*

Misty:
I… I’m just… just stressed about Daisy and the League inspector, that’s all.

*Brock sighs.*

Brock:
Alright, Misty. If you say that’s the whole problem.

Misty (with a trace of aggression):
What, are you saying I’m lying?

*Brock gazes impassively at her.*

Brock:
You know, the three of us travelled across two whole regions, and I never once suspected. I guess I was too caught up trying to get myself a girl to pay attention to what my best friends were up to. Pretty selfish of me, huh? I’m sorry.

*Misty stiffens. She drops her eyes, her face glowing crimson. Max, however, grins at Brock.*

Max:
Girls like Callie, you mean?

*At once, a faraway look steals over Brock.*

Brock:
My heavenly princess…

*Misty snorts.*

Misty:
Huh! You go for it, Brock. I won’t stop you.

May (laughing):
Sorry, Brock, but I think you may be out of luck. She’s obviously totally crazy about Ash –

Misty:
All right, I get it!

*She stands up, hands on hips.*

Misty:
Thanks for trying, you guys, but I’d like to be alone for a while.

*Brock, May and Max stare back at her. May’s eyes widen as the truth begins to dawn on her.*

Brock:
OK, Misty. Come on, you guys.

*He turns and leaves, May and Max trailing behind him. May shoots long, open-mouthed glances back at Misty, everything now falling into place inside her head. Misty watches them go with a hint of regret, then turns with a sigh and gazes out over the pool. Before long, however, she senses someone else behind her, and whirls around. *

Tobias:
Hey.

*He smiles bashfully at her, one arm held behind his back.*

Misty (startled):
Hi! Um – how long have you been standing there?

Tobias:
I’ve only just this second come in.

*At this, Misty relaxes.*

Misty:
Oh, then that’s all right. Uh… I’m sorry you had to see that earlier. Ash and me, we… um, we kinda fight a lot.

Tobias (lightly):
Wow, I’m amazed he’s lived this long if you always fight like that.

Misty:
I hope no one was hurt. (pause) Are you OK? The table didn’t -?

Tobias:
I’m fine. Well, I don’t know if this shirt will ever be the same again…

*He laughs, but Misty misses the joke, and he soon trails off.*

Tobias:
Uh, listen… I want to apologise.

Misty:
Huh? But you didn’t do anything.

Tobias:
I don’t know… I can’t help feeling like it’s my fault there’s all this tension between you and Ash.

Misty:
What? No, of course it’s not your fault – you hardly said a word – Ash is just…

Tobias:
Jealous?

Misty:
Stubborn.

*There is a pause as what Tobias said sinks in.*

Misty:
…You think he’s jealous?

Tobias:
Well, I don’t know. You guys are good friends, right? When you’re not fighting.

*Misty’s face darkens.*

Misty:
We used to be.

Tobias:
Well, then. Maybe I’m way off base – maybe you’re more like brother and sister.

*Misty gives a loud bark of laughter.*

Misty:
Oh, no, I wouldn’t say we’re like that. (intrigued) So – so you think he was really jealous?

Tobias:
Well. It would make sense. I mean, if I were in his place – er, what I mean is –

*He starts to blush. Misty drops her gaze uncomfortably, but doesn’t back off when he inches closer to her.*

Tobias:
Well, I – I can see why a guy would get the urge to compete over you.

*Now Misty’s blushing, too, flattered despite herself.*

Misty:
Ash never competed over anything not related to Pokémon.

Tobias:
Then maybe he just doesn’t know a good thing when he sees one.

*He moves closer still. This time, Misty doesn’t break eye contact.*

Tobias:
Misty, you’re very…

Misty:
Very…?

*Tobias takes a deep breath.*

Tobias:
Would you like to come out for dinner tomorrow night?

*Misty’s mouth falls open. Tobias quickly backtracks.*

Tobias:
Sorry, that was stupid, you’ve only just met me, so why would you – I – it’s just that I like you, and –

Misty (soothingly):
It’s fine. I don’t mind.

*Tobias grins wryly.*

Tobias:
But you’re going to say no. Don’t worry, I should have realised – um. I’ll go.

*He takes a step back, then pauses.*

Tobias:
Oh yeah, I meant to give you this. Got it from outside.

*He takes his hand out from behind his back, revealing that he’s holding a pretty purple flower. Misty, disarmed, takes it with a shy smile.*

Misty:
It’s lovely. Thank you. I’ve never been given a flower before.

*For a beat, their eyes meet; then Tobias turns and heads for the door. Misty glances down at the flower, and suddenly comes to a decision.*

Misty:
Wait! About dinner –

*Tobias spins around, a hopeful smile in place.*

Tobias:
Yes?

Misty:
I’ll think about it. OK?

*Tobias grins widely, unable to believe his luck.*

Tobias:
OK – great! I’ll – I’ll talk to you tomorrow, then?

Misty:
Sure.

*Tobias leaves with a spring in his step. Misty’s smile wavers slightly as doubt begins to settle in.*

<AD BREAK>

Last edited:
I love this part. Especially the battle at the table; it was wonderfully written. And the scene with Tobias and Misty at the end reminded me somewhat of "Misty Meets Her Match" and how Rudy tried to woo her. I look forward to reading more.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom