• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone planning your team yet? What are your picks so far?

With Mudbray revealed, I will definitely be raising one in my Moon team. I'll raise the cute donkey into a cute strong Mudsdale. Even though I'm kind of mixed on the Alola forms, I am tempted to raise the Alola Vulpix. The designs are gorgeous and the type combination is so cool for Ninetales. I still want to raise a Cutiefly, so I may end up with two Fairy types on one of my teams. It might work for my Sun team since Salandit can take care of all of the Steel types with its Fire moves and poisoning them too.

Definitely Alolan Ninetales. I like it more than any of the new species; it's the arctic fox I've been craving.

I'm also leaning towards Ghost Oricorio.

Rowlet, Wimpod and Minior so far. (Plus Skrelp if available.)

Popplio, Vikavolt, Baile Style Oricorio (who I really wanna call Santa Maria), Lurantis and Minior are a definite, and I'll probably have Cutiefly, Wimpod and maybe Drampa in rotation until I settle on one (depends on evolution), unless there's another Pokémon that takes the 6th spot.

I'm leaning Litten for [redacted] reasons. But may drop it for Salandit. I am holding out for a Normal/Psychic physical-oriented Komala evolution. Wimpod is awesome as well, as is Minior. There's a lot of great options, not to mention the inevitable addition of more Alola Forms. Sooo my mind is far from decided, I'm probably just going to catch and train everything and find what fits.

Otherwise Pikipek is the only Pokemon that is a lock. I LOVE my regional birds, especially this little woodpecker. (Please evolve into Steel/Flying!)

I'm not gonna lie, most of the new Pokemon designs just don't appeal to me like Gens I-IV which are where most of my favorites are, I have a few good ones from Gen V and VI, so the thing is, I'll probably be using a lot of older Pokemon with Alolan formes, if they're viable that is. Sandslash is an automatic no, I don't see him being good, but the Ninetales has potential... Ice is my favorite type, after all.

My new projected team is something like this:

-Popplio
-Salandit
-Ninetales (Alolan)
-Pseudo-Legendary
-
-

The last two spots are open. We don't know who the pseudo will be or if there will be one or two, but I always use them on my team, even if there's two, such as in HGSS or ORAS. If other Alolan formes come out that I like, especially if their Ice, they could replace the Ninetales. It's a shame I'm not liking many of the new Pokemon, but in a way I'm glad because it gives me a chance to explore and test the Alolan formes of old Pokemon.

Alolan Sandshrew has made his way into my team and if Rowlet wasn't my starter then Fomantis would join.

I know I already posted here but with all the new announcements my team has updated.

Pokemon - Nickname

Litten - Tony Tiger (After seeing a certain leak I can't unsee it)
Rockruff - Phoebe (For my best friend and constant companion, my Golden Retriever Phoebe)
Mimikkyu - Peekaboo
Alola Ninetales - I don't quite know yet, I'm thinking Snowbelle.
Drampa - Snoop

1. Salandit
2. Mudsdale
3. Exeggutor
4. Vikavolt
As for my starter I'm still gonna wait till I see the official reveal of the final evolutions. Mainly due to a certain rumor....

I know I still haven't any conformations yet, but with each new reveal makes it that much harder to choose a team! DX There's already about six I'm leaning towards and I'm almost hoping nothing else catches my eye or else I may have to drop some~ XP

I hate to be a downer by I'm still holding out on my starter; gotta see their final evos. I don't want to make that Samurott error. Some of these pokemon are probably given too much of a spotlight. As in XY people thought there would be tons of new non-mega 'mons for competitive battling but really it was Greninja, Talonflame, and Aegislash who really stole the show in terms of competitive popularity. It was angering how much of a let down Noivern's stats were, really, and Goodra isn't that great. Hawlucha was fun, but not reliable. Tyrantrum and Pangoro were cool, but less useful. In terms of megas, it was Lucario, Blaziken, and Kangaskhan who really stole the spotlight... Their megas were just too strong! It will be interesting for them to fall back in the OU lines IF they don't bring back mega evolution.

Regardless, I'll probably use one to three gen VII pokes on my team. I tend to use whatever I encounter in my pre-competitive team before the E4, by cycling through pokes before certain gym leaders for the battles or see what appeals to me in the moment and work on it from there. Afterwards I scrap it and then completely redesign it for competitive.

I am, however, super interested to find out what their pseudo-legendary(ies) is(are)! Perhaps 2? In Gen III there were 2 with Metagross and Salamence. I hope their pseudo-Legendary can beat the 'Chomp. It has been on my team for pretty much every game since I restarted playing in White. (I skipped Gen IV for various reasons). I think I replaced it with Hydreigon once in White, don't remember...

As much as I like Alolan Ninetails its 4x weakness to steel, weakness to fire, poison, and rock bothers me. That one is incredibly dependent on its stats.

Fomantis is a big meh for me. Bounsweet might evolve into something fun. Wimpod is interesting. Sandalit is fun but I don't think the final evos are completely shown...

I'd really have to see their designs first, but from the ones that were revealed:

1. Rowlett - favourite of the initial stages. May or may not change depending on evolutions/typing
2. Salandit- it looks so menacing and the type combination is sweet
3. Mudscale - I just loved the idea of a Ground type horse
4. Rockruff - because it's adorable and I don't use enough rock types tbh
5. Maybe Sensu Oricorio? I'm not one who cares about stats that much since I'm not into competative, but if it can't fight for the story mode I won't use it. The Oricorio 'mons look nice but I can't help but think they're more for decoration than anything.

Last edited:
I haven't decided on anything, not even a starter, but I'll sure get a Mimikkyu and Rockruff.

I'll probably pick Popplio, I don't want to break my 14 year old tradition of choosing the water starter, but if I don't like its evos I'll probably leave it unevolved.

Last edited:
Still choosing Rowlet as my Starter. Still vague on the rest. I am very interested in Mudsdale, I just hope that we can find Mudbray in the earlier half of the game. If it is available around the time that Skiddo was, then it will definitely be on my team.

I am intrigued by Alolan Sandslash, but I expect that it will not be available until a little later on. Which is fine, as long as it is only one of two that I have to wait for (I hate going through 50% or more of the game with fewer than four Pokémon on my team). But I need to see some more evolutions before I figure out the rest.

I didn't plan on planning, I was actually gonna do a blind run. But then I got spoiled. On facebook of al places XD

It's a toss-up between Litten and Popplio for my starter. Mimikyu, Oricorio (Sensu Style), Lurantis, Cutiefly and Alolan Ninetales will definitely be in my team at some point

EDIT: with the reveal of a new Alolan form, i know I'm getting a Marowak on my team

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom