• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are Dark-types supposed to be evil?

Wanting privacy is not a good reason to kick other Pokemon out of their home :lol:
Just because Hydreigon is "insane" doesn't make it any less evil, honestly.
It doesn't say Sneasel's attacker, it says foe. Sounds to me like Sneasel picks fights and beats them to death because it wants to.
Tyranitars tear down entire mountains just to build its home. And again, knocking Pokemon out of their home.

You can justify their actions all you want. Still doesn't make them not evil

It depends on the species, and the individual Pokémon. Some species are obviously evil, like Spiritomb, whereas some are pragmatic evil, like Honckrow, Murkrow, Cacturne and so on. Some factions are simply neutral, like Houndoom, Shifrty-line Darkrai and Umbreon, whereas some factions like Absol are downright heroic. Whereas some parts are simply vicious carnivores, like Krookodile-line and Hydreigon-line and so forth, some are just ill-tempered, like Cradaunt and Drapion. Some are just mischeavious, like Sableye. They can all be considered evil in a broad term, as they all use underhanded tactics(like Sucker Punch, Faint Attack); vicous tactics(Beat Up, Pursuit), pragmatic or selfish evil(Thief, ability Pickpocket) or some tactics that literally uses evil emotions(Dark Pulse which is powered up by evil thoughts, and it's anthithesis Nasty Plot which powers up Pokémon with filling it's head with such thoughts in the first place. Payback and Punishment can also count, as it is revenge, the most worthless of all causes). They all carry very broad evil tendencies(except Absol, Darkrai, Houndoom and Umbreon), a good chunck of them are overconfident(hence why most of them get Moxie), a large chunck of them consumes more than they need(Sharpedo-line, Hydreigon-line), most of them care about their individual or family gain, rather than needs of others(various territorial ones), some of them have very, very strict pecking order(Bisharp-line, Zoroark-line, Weavile-line), and even the mischeavous ones, like Sableye, despite not meaning major harm, does whatever it does to cause annoyance, which is of course evil, but in a very minor sense. Even the more neutral parts aren't exactly heroic; Umbreon and Houndoom are also vicious carnivores who use unsavory tactics, and they stay loyal to their owners regardless of their moral stance; Shiftry specifically uses it's wicked appearance to protect its' terriority and it's underlings, which it finds above its' own survival; Darkrai eats dreams which he turns into nightmares whether he likes it or not; and Absol have tendency go knights templar especially if the situation is very important.

But ultimately, yes, they are supposed to be evil. Just generally in a petty, temperamental, misunderstood(and/or misunderstanding) or pragmatic way.

I think the first requirement for "evil" is acting with intelligence. A creature that is only following its nature isn't evil, no matter how intelligent it is in general. So a Darkrai that wanders at random and happens to cause nightmares isn't evil, but one that actively searches for humans is. Crawdaunt is territorial, not evil. I think the only Pokemon that is always evil, with no exceptions, is Spiritomb.

I think the first requirement for "evil" is acting with intelligence.

I see the logic here: you can't be evil without the proper mental faculties to make a moral judgement. In short, you have to choose to do evil thing, and know you're making morally corrupt choices, to be evil.

The problem is that evil people are evil by nature. Sure, they may know they're choosing evil choices, but that doesn't mean they have free will per se - what they choose is predetermined by their warped cognitions. Likewise, our choices to be good people are predetermined by our better upbringings and life experiences. Morality isn't a choice, it's a sign of our psychological well-being. Evil people are really just mentally ill, in their own way, and to various degrees.

So you can't really choose to be evil or not, the judgement is based on your behaviour. And many Dark-type Pokémon naturally behave in an evil way (see the post by @Trainer Yusuf ; above).

I think Dark types are supposed to be basically dirty fighters. Instead of fighting gracefully, they'll sucker punch or resort to thievery to gain an advantage in battle.

Ghost types literally kill people on purpose. But we aren't questioning whether they are evil or not.

Nah, evil-ish and mischievous at best. Some may be, well, inclined I guess, to being evil, like Sazandora, but as the animé demonstrated, even those aren't necessarily evil, but most pokémon aren't really inherently evil, much like wild animals, driven by instinct, but a predator isn't evil because it kills and eats its prey.

ANY type of pokémon can be evil, so it depends more on the species, although the only one I'd consider always evil would be Spiritomb... And then you play PMD2 when you fight one in the bad future, and even though it did use ''evil'' tactics, in the end, it was just trying to defend itself.

Last edited:
Darkness doesn't automatically indicate evil. The type of Pokemon that are dark types seem to be sneaky, tricky, mischevious and other things. Though some seem pretty "dark" like Darkrai and Absol(which is known as the Disaster Pokemon) It dosent mean they are evil though.

Hydreigons kill anything they see
Darkrais cause nightmares for their own amusement

It would be nice to see dark types do evil things like sucker punch pokemon,trick them,steal stuff and finally kill people for no reason

Last edited:
Well, 'dark' doesn't necessarily mean 'evil'. Although, it is true sometimes it is associated with evil like when people say 'the dark side' or 'dark arts' but...yeah, in my favorite Pokémon movie, Rise of Darkrai, Darkrai actually saves the world and it's not evil like what people thought.

Dark doesn't mean evil. some dark types look kind of scary or mean, evil isn't something pokemon are born with.

I wouldn't say 'evil', but they obviously are more hostile, mischievous and malicious than most pokemon of other types. I think Dark- and Ghost-types are supposed to be the "bad" guys. But that doesn't mean that a Dark and/or Ghost type pokemon can't be nice and friendly under the hands of the right trainer.

I don't think there are truly evil Pokemon,only evil trainers that make their Pokemon do evil things(didn't it say that in the anime or something?).
And isn't the "dark" type known as the "evil" type type in Japanese?
But I don't think Dark types are actually evil, they just draw their powers from darkness and trickery for survival.

their type in japanese is evil they are suppose to be evil and unfair

they fight dirty yes but as for Darkrai the Pokedex pretty much states the nightmare thing is a defense mechanism which he has no control over so he avoids people mostly and tends to seek out Cresilia

I depends on the type of pokemon your talking about,for example Umbreon is a dark type not because it is evil but because it is litterally labeled "The moonlight pokemon" while Yveltal is a dark type because it is pure evil

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom