• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are Dark-types supposed to be evil?

Technically speaking, seeing as the Dark type is the Evil type in Japanese all Evil types are evil. Though the franchise has shown Dark types in both positive and negative roles, even if evil teams seem to have a penchant for them, so I'd say that they, like all other Pokemon, aren't actually intrinsically evil.
Umbreon is a dark type not because it is evil but because it is litterally labeled "The moonlight pokemon" while Yveltal is a dark type because it is pure evil
I doubt Umbreon is a Dark type because of its classification; not only is moonlight the exact opposite of darkness, it's also not something that is typically considered evil either (evil = dark and light = good, usually). I figure Umbreon is a Dark type, at least in part, because GameFreak wanted to show off the new typing with a special Pokemon and the classification was probably created at the end of the design process. As for Yveltal, I don't think it's ever been said that the Pokemon is pure evil, though it has been depicted in villainous roles. Just because it is associated with death doesn't exactly mean it's evil: Hades is associated with the dead and the underworld but he isn't necessarily pure evil, at least in the original Greek myths if I remember correctly.

Worth pointing out is that both in the TCG and in recent games the icon for Dark Types is a crescent moon in the night sky so even in JPN they do acknowledge a correlation between the Type and night/darkness. Umbreon being one of the original Dark Types suggests to me that either there was always intended to be some overlap or else they weren't a hundred percent sure when they first created the typing.

Another point is the kanji "悪" can also be used to mean "wicked" (as in low morals) aside from just flat out "evil" which I feel plays into the type's habit of using dirty tactics to fight like Sucker Punch. Maybe a survival tactic if you want to get all speculative. XD

Just a couple of things I felt was worth mentioning. :unsure:

Last edited:
I don't think so? I know that they're called the Evil type in Japan or something but I don't take that seriously because there are lots of Dark types that seem to be nice especially when you watch how they're portrayed in the cartoon.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom