• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW020: Pikachu VS Meguroco VS Koaruhie!!

I kind of hope Team Koaruhi appear again in the future. They're no TRio, but they certainly seem fun to have around.

They could appear again. Don't expect this is the last we've seen of Krokorok as well. Possible Krookodile evolution in the future? That isn't going to happen any time soon, of course.

The new animation sequence looks really good. It was nice to see Meguroco/Waruvile interacting with Ash.

Last edited:
Meguroco was kinda fun in this episode. But, dear god were those ducks annoying.

They could appear again. Don't expect this is the last we've seen of Krokorok as well. Possible Krookodile evolution in the future? That isn't going to happen any time soon, of course.

Mmhm. I was saying in another thread that I'd like to see Waruvile form a pokemon gang over the course of the series, and Rusty suggested that the Koaruhi could even be his first recruits. Might even make for a good rival gang. I doubt it'll ever happen, but it's a nice thought.

OMG! this episode was Friggin Hilarious!
i LOL'ed with no end through it~!
those Ducklett were EVIL, now i want my Swanna even more XD

I knew Volt Tackle would be forggotton. No use keeping an old "AG relic" in Pikachu's arsenal.

Iron Tail is too important.

So Pikachu forgot Volt Tackle? I would have preferred if it was Quick Attack but that new move is basically a weaker Volt Tackle anyway. Plus Volt Tackle is the only one of Pikachu's moves that doesn't have a new animation besides Thunderbolt, but that's its signature move.

So Pikachu forgot Volt Tackle? I would have preferred if it was Quick Attack but that new move is basically a weaker Volt Tackle anyway. Plus Volt Tackle is the only one of Pikachu's moves that doesn't have a new animation besides Thunderbolt, but that's its signature move.

You're confusing Electro Ball with Wild Charge
Electro ball has potential to be stronger then Volt tackle, and its a special move, it has Pika fire a concentarted Lightning Ball from its tail.

Plus Volt Tackle is the only one of Pikachu's moves that doesn't have a new animation besides Thunderbolt, but that's its signature move.

Yes it did. The electricity surrounding Pikachu seemed more... solid after the change to BW.

Ok, it wasn't a big chance considering the changes to Iron Tail but there was definite difference.

Sorry for getting th moves mixed up. I really don't know much about these new moves and I remember hearing that Pikachu might possibly learn a move that was a weaker Volt Tackle.

I didn't really notice a change in Volt Tackle's animation either. I guess that's just my eyes. I noticed Quick Attack's change but I guess I don't really mind if Pikachu forgot a move since it didn't learn one since Battle Frontier. Plus Volt Tackle delt damage back to Pkachu so I guess this new move would be better if it doesn't damage Pikachu as well.

Man, the Duckletts were annoying. Also considering the fact that we saw Swanna, its evolution, first was... I guess something that's been done before. I fear they would be the replacement Team Rocket with the way they displayed their over playful attitudes.

Good to see Boiling Water, a more awesome Dig attack and Pikachu's first use of Electra Ball in play. However, Ice Beam being the same since Ash's Lapras bugs me. The Ice Beam that the very first Lapras used looked much better.

I wonder if BW is using this wild Sandile, now a Krokorok, as the first independent Pokemon to battle against Ash and Pikachu (and whatever trainers he'll face)? He even evolved, which is awesome by the way, without being trained by anybody. I liked this idea of an independent Pokemon doing this. Even the Legendaries aren't as good-looking as this Ground/Dark Pokemon. Battling Ash to have itself proceed further. Unknown to if he'll get captured via Monster Ball soon.

No Volt Tackle, huh? Electra Ball requires a set-up of high agility and heavy paralyzing to stay at maximum damage, but whatever.

I knew Volt Tackle would be forggotton. No use keeping an old "AG relic" in Pikachu's arsenal.

Iron Tail is too important.

If anything Iron Tail is the AG move while Volt Tackle is the DP move (I know it learnt it in BF, but that was at late AG and was mostly used in DP)
It doesn't make sense to me to remove any of Thunderbolt (main) Volt Tackle ("finishing move" and its newest one too) or Iron Tail (a useful non electric type move)
They should've replaced Quick Attack and even better if they'd replace it by a new type attack rather than ANOTHER electric type...
But whatever, what happens happens... bye Volt Tackle...

If anything Iron Tail is the AG move while Volt Tackle is the DP move (I know it learnt it in BF, but that was at late AG and was mostly used in DP)
It doesn't make sense to me to remove any of Thunderbolt (main) Volt Tackle ("finishing move" and its newest one too) or Iron Tail (a useful non electric type move)
They should've replaced Quick Attack and even better if they'd replace it by a new type attack rather than ANOTHER electric type...
But whatever, what happens happens... bye Volt Tackle...
I STRONGLY agree with this.

Aside from that the really good points of this episode to me are Excadrill's appearance (though it's awfully short but still way better than nothing) and Sandile evolving (quite unexpected). And for a moment I was afraid Ash would catch it for real, although it would be a nice addition to the team but there are just too many mons out there.

I don't know if I've been listening to the Original Sound Best CD I got yesterday too much or what, but the music in Best Wishes! just doesn't have the same magic for me. All the new game stuff in this episode, for example, sounds a little too close to the music that comes out of the DS speakers and doesn't have the same "feeling" to it that the earlier stuff does. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, but at the moment, I'm not all that impressed.

The Best Wishes! instrumental was cool, though. Hope we get to hear that again.

Personally, I prefer my arrangements staying close to the source material. No flashy stuff for me. To be honest, I found a lot of the game arrangements before around AG to be rather lacking, a few exceptions aside.

Having re-watched this episode, I would like to say one thing... the guitar instrumental of the Best Wishes theme is one of the best pieces of music I've heard so far in the series. I really hope it gets released in RAW form.

Oh God, this was just too priceless. Easily my favourite episode so far.

But what totally got me was Mijumaru stopping Zuruggu from headbutting Meguroco. xD

Where are you guys watching the episode? I'll keep looking at YouTube, but its not there yet... :b

This episode was hilarious. The Koaruhie seemed to show absolutely no remorse for their actions whatsoever. If one thought the Murkrow who stole the badges in Johto was bad, or Bianca's Minccino for stealing shiny objects, clearly one has not seen these Koaruhie yet.

The Koaruhie are, for the sake of it, pranksters. They love pulling jokes on people and, judging by them keeping an umbrella and a blowhorn in their nest, have probably caused similar incidents with other people as well. Some people might be angry that Pikachu's power has been reset yet again; that over the course of this episode, Pikachu's electric attacks were taken for granted.

Several times throughout the episode, when Pikachu launched electric attacks against Koaruhie, it didn't do any real damage against them. A Koaruhie dropping an umbrella was enough to not only stop Pikachu's Thunderbolt, but also cause harm to it as well. When Pikachu launched its new Electro Ball attack against the Koaruhie and the pokemon were supposedly defeated for good, they came back only seconds later with no signs of injury.

So yeah, there could be arguments about Pikachu's power "reset" with the advent of this episode too. Since the writers gave it an exponentional amount of focus in this episode anyway, I really don't mind that they chose this approach.

This episode establishes that Sandile, now Waruvile, will be Pikachu's pokemon rival in this series. Dent tells Pikachu that he now has a rival by the end of their battle. Sandile only attacked Pikachu and seems to show a strong interest in taking it down. With that all said and done, the likelihood that Waruvile will be captured at this point of time is now extremely unlikely.

Originally I assumed Sandile would be captured for the hell of it, but the writers seem to have bigger plans for this thing. I hope (one day) the Waruvile is caught by one of Ash's rivals in the Unova League so their rivalry can be settled in time.

Imagine a Pikachu VS Waruvial (Sandile's final form) battle in the Unova League. I can definitely see that coming in the future!

I can tell the storyboader had a lot of fun writing this episode. It's clearly one of the best episodes of BW, and one of the very few episodes in a while that Pikachu received this much focus! Here I thought Pikachu was just a token character; the writers breathed new life into him by not only giving it a new attack, but also a new rival who could potentially battle Pikachu later on in its final form.

Zuruggu's "rematch" against Axew was expected, too. We knew from a summary of this episode that Sandile appeared when Ash was training Zuruggu, and we all know that Axew is the only pokemon "weak" enough to fight on Zuruggu's level. Their comical battle is hilarious; neither side seemed to do any real damage until Axew's overpowered Dragon Sneeze.

And let's add the music for this episode. Clearly a lot more music pieces, such as the Cheren/Bianca battle and Castelia City theme, were used in this episode. We have new eyecatcher and episode title themes, and an instrumental of Best Wishes! theme was first used in an episode (originally we saw it at the end of special previews).

I love it when the writers focus on a situation at hand rather than trying to develop a specific character to the point of oversaturation. This episode was fun to watch. Clearly the months of speculation were worth it; the final product was that good!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom