• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW088: Sommelier Detective Dent! The Mystery of the Missing Kumasyun!!

I agree, Best Wishes Season 2 is just lazily done, like the writers are putting no effort into the episodes, and are just writing random stuff that has nothing to do with anything, in fact, most of Best Wishes has been like this, just random plots with no direction at all, and with Ash having 8 of Unova's 10 badges, they're just now doing nothing now but random and pointless episodes. Meloetta seems like nothing more than a poorly written in comic relief character to me, when they keep implying that she is important to the plot, when really, she's just there, and feels downright pointless.

I disagree entirely, this has been the only true pure filler we've had so far. Cynthia's debut, Dawn's return, and the Dawn/Iris interaction in the Onix episode have all been noteworthy...and next week is the Dragonite capture.

I knew the moment this episode was announced that it was just going to be a filler so there was nothing to expect out of this one. We've only actually had 4 BW2 episodes so far, and they're about on par with what most of DP was like.

Completely agree with you here, ten times more effort put into season 2, especially compared to the first best wishes series.

Fillers are not really that exciting but I think with Dawns appearance and another mention of Brock, its not that bad. Or maybe I just like any episode with Dawn in, I dont know :)

Outside of the training battle and a few Piplup scenes, Dawn really had no relevance in this episode at all. The whole episode would have played out almost exactly the same if she wasn't here.

I really feel like the only reason this episode existed was so Dawn could stay for a few extra fillers or see Cilan's detective skills.

Outside of the training battle and a few Piplup scenes, Dawn really had no relevance in this episode at all. The whole episode would have played out almost exactly the same if she wasn't here.

You can say that about pretty much any main character in this series in most of his/her episodes...
Also, I can see absolutely no reason to ignore the training scene, the Piplup scenes or the important thing you neglected to mention that Dawn was the smartest in this ep and the only one who suggested to try returning Beartic to its ball to find out if it is the same Cubchoo
Not to mention Dawn's reactions to Cilan's weirdness, mentioning Brock again and further girls bonding with Iris agreeing about the boys being weird

I really feel like the only reason this episode existed was so Dawn could stay for a few extra fillers or see Cilan's detective skills.

Dawn is part of the main cast for the East Unova arc, if not even the Unova League too... she's part of the group for now, she didn't came for a specific event like May, so she's not limited to one specific event, she's just traveling around with the twerps now as part of the group... just like how Iris and Cilan don't do too much in most of the eps, Dawn doesn't really need to especially stand out in every ep she's appearing now either

After watching this episode, I suddenly feel a Déjà vu. From BW35's thread:

With Detective Dent and a Conan Edogawa look-a-like, this episode is surprisingly boring. TR was the worst part.

With this episode, I could change this into that: With Detective Dent and a Detective Conan reference, this episode is surprisingly boring. Hikari and Iris' intereaction was the best part. Other good parts:

* Dent is finally giving some **** to Iris.
* Hikari bring up Takeshi's creepy side, and compare it to Dent's weirdness.
* Reference to Detective Conan's criminal silhouette.

This episode is existed to give Dent some screentime. It's his focus episode.

This was definitely better than the first episode with Sommelier Detective Dent (the Tabunne episode). It wasn't amazing, but not mediocre. This had entertaining scenes, Dent getting everything wrong, cute moments with the Pokémon and that fantastic moment of Iris actually yelling right at Dent that he is "a pain" which results in Dent sulking. Also to add to this, Iris is the one who causes Dent to recover from his depressed state after causing it.

Last edited:
My first time ever watching an episode live from Japan. :)

Too bad it had to suck. :/

The moment I saw that kid, I thought man he looks generic, then I thought, it's going be one of those episodes isn't?

Ash and Dawn battled. They mentioned Brock again. Piplup and Oshawott fought again. And Cilan tried to save this episode, but too bad it didn't work. Honestly, the most amusing thing that happened for me in the whole thirty minutes was TR getting into a Looney Tunes style fight in the commerical after the episode.

Meloetta is just meh. The singing stopped one of the few high points.

I liked Larvitar though, part of me now wants Ash to get one, but I ain't holding my breath.

An Eggciting Adventure back in Johto pwned this to me so hard it isn't even funny. Yeah, it isn't funny. The Johto filler wannabe got pwned by a Johto filler. -_-

This episode is existed to give Dent some screentime. It's his focus episode.

Yeah, people often say Cilan gets more than Iris, but that's not true at all... they're more or less equals, and when one of them gets an ep, the other gets an ep too...
It's especially obvious here: we have this Cilan ep and right after it we'll get an Iris ep... we had this also in the last few eps of "Season 1" with the Iris and Cilan eps airing one after the other after Ash's 7th Gym Battle
So it's really just giving us a Cilan ep to go with the Iris ep like they've been doing most of the time in this series...

I think the fat Beartic will be a recurring character for a main character to catch

Meh episode, I have a feeling Brock will be appearing some time soon though =/
Hurray, Dento can get cooking tips Brock. Watch hey'll get jealous of all the time Brock spent with Ash.

I think the fat Beartic will be a recurring character for a main character to catch
I don't know about catching, but I do hope it becomes a recurring character, just so long as it stays a minor recurring character. Just popping up from time to time, eating food or just barging in on Ash and co. They'll wake up to find it eating their food.

Also, I'm confused as to why it was out and about, anyway. I know Pokemon can be found almost anywhere, but shouldn't it be in a colder climate?

I thought,as far as the actual mystery case went, it was a reasonably entertaining episode. For most of this episode, Ash kind of had a "sure, why not?" expression to the proceedings, and I think that's kind of the feeling I had watching.

Dawn's comment to Iris about guys being a little weird kind of sums up one of the things that I tried to ignore about this episode, which was how very often those two girls were depicted together. It wouldn't have stood out so much, and I could have maybe bought the argument that this is a somewhat "girls think guys are looney" episode, if Ash and Cilan had had a similar sort of interaction. Back in Sinnoh, I thought one of the more positive things about when Dawn's rivals or friends were around (not that it happened overly frequently) was that it led to some rare quality Ash and Brock time where you could tell those two were really close. In this episode, it felt like (which is more important than reality sometimes) most of the scenes had Cilan, Ash,and then Iris+Dawn. I think in order to initiate a relationship between Iris and Dawn, the girls hang together argument is probably a necessity, since the writers don't have contests or something else in common to pull them together. But when Ash and Cilan just don't seem as close as the two girls, it takes away from the gender argument, and makes the fact that Iris and Dawn were pretty much together the entire time in any screenshot you look at really stand out, instead of being natural. Sort of the same argument for the scenes with Piplup and its cousin (Oshawatt), with regards to the other pokemon. In fact, I thought Ash overall was the most soulless character in this episode, and he's the one you could have taken out and not missed much.

Ash's two practice battles were sort of hit and miss. His battle against Dawn was okay (though his neutral expression at the end compared to Dawn's smile again sort of gave the soulless vibe), but his battle against the Larvitar was tough to get into since Larvitar didn't have a trainer directing it. It sort of goes into the dangerous area of what good does a trainer do for his pokemon if challenging a pokemon without a trainer (that didn't seem overpowered, which tends to be the case) is good training, esp this deep into the anime.

Last edited:
Eh, just another random ep. At least they had the sense for Ash and Dawn to tie, although it's still looking more and more like Dawn is the expert now instead of Ash.
Your Right,
-This episode is meaningless
-Writer make's everybody a Expert expect Ash , That's why Best Wish suck's!

Best wishes is a good series when is not in fillers.

Last edited:
I wonder if the writers have a awkwardly placed, fuzzy hard-on for Beartic...we had Brycen's, Langley's right after, this one, AND THEN Langley's is back in the next Tournament episode too.

Just seems weird to throw Cubchoo and Beartic in an episode taking place in a warm climate area, especially with the whole OLD POKEMON ARE BACK thing they have now.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom