• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Confirmed DSi Enhanced Titles ~ What do you suppose will be there from DSi users?

If we are lucky one of two probable things will happan:

1. The games will be set as DSi enhanced to enable region locking

OR

2. The games will have enhance Wi-Fi features on the games

Number 2 is the more probable choice though.

If we are lucky one of two probable things will happan:

1. The games will be set as DSi enhanced to enable region locking

OR

2. The games will have enhance Wi-Fi features on the games

Number 2 is the more probable choice though.

Or, most likely both. I honestly don't see how #1 is "lucky", though. :rolleyes:

Just like Foto Showdown and Invisimals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invizimals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foto_Showdown

Player takes a picture on real life and the game uses the data in the picture to generate a Pokemon that's "hiding" in the real world.

That's basically monster rancher, isnt it?

It will probably have WPA support on DSI and maybe a few gimmicks. Like many Pokemon GBC games had gbc ir funcontaility tacked on, so you could do things like "Card Pop" (pokemon TCG) or "Mystery Gift" (Pokemon GSC).

Either that or it will just be reigon locked.

If the third version is dsi exclusive I'm gonna hurt somebody because I'm not about to go out and spend my money for the games on a stupid dsi. I'm fine with a ds lite.

heck yes. I'll fine with just waiting for the next new thing to come out.

It wouldn't suprise me to see the third version be dsi exclusive with use of the camera and maybe the sd card or dlc. I think that would be badass. Also I can see the rs remakes (or the third version, whichever comes out last) be a 3ds enhanced game utilizing some new features of that console.

As for black and white themselves, I really don't see a whole lot being different between gameplay on a ds/lite and the dsi

It wouldn't suprise me to see the third version be dsi exclusive with use of the camera and maybe the sd card or dlc.
None of those things would be worth cutting off the majority of DS players who don't have a DSi. Of course, by that point quite a few players will have made the transition to the 3DS, where DSi-enhanced and DSi-exclusive games will be playable. But then, why shouldn't the new game(s) take advantage of the new system rather than staying limited to a few novelties introduced in 2008?

I think that would be badass. Also I can see the rs remakes (or the third version, whichever comes out last) be a 3ds enhanced game utilizing some new features of that console.
So Black and White can't be DSi-enhanced due to being playable on the DS, and yet the last Generation V will be able to utilize the 3DS without actually being designed for it? Do you realize that that game will only be out in two years at the minimum? I would think that that would be a good time to move on from the DS altogether.

In fact, I don't expect there to be any main series release in 2011, as Game Freak have already outdone themselves by releasing main games three years in a row. Only in the advent of the 3DS being reserved for Generation VI do I see Black and White's third version coming out in 2011, marking the end of Generation V as was the case with Crystal in 2000. But I think that it is far more sensible to make the full transition to the 3DS within Generation V, thus avoiding making the generation a short-lived one, as well as not having to wait three years to utilize the 3DS.

As Outrage has said in this thread, Diamond and Pearl were not fully-fledged DS games. Wouldn't it make more sense, then, for the first take on a 3DS Pokémon game to be a late Generation V entry, as opposed to the main Generation VI titles? If Game Freak can't bring themselves to take full advantage of the capacities of a new system on the first try, it wouldn't hurt if they were humbler about their first approach to that system.

Last edited:
Yeah, people in this thread are a bit too focused on their DS Lites. A distinguished device indeed, but alas, it nears the end. ;-)

B&W will, with very near certainty, be the last main series titles we get that are compatible with the DS/DSi. The next main series release, as Unown Lord pointed out, is at least 2 years away (2 years from the date of B&W's release, that is... so more like 2.5 years)... whether the 3rd version or RSE remak-sequel-? comes first, who's to say? But it's likely both will be 3DS exclusive titles.

None of those things would be worth cutting off the majority of DS players who don't have a DSi. Of course, by that point quite a few players will have made the transition to the 3DS, where DSi-enhanced and DSi-exclusive games will be playable. But then, why shouldn't the new game(s) take advantage of the new system rather than staying limited to a few novelties introduced in 2008?

So Black and White can't be DSi-enhanced due to being playable on the DS, and yet the last Generation V will be able to utilize the 3DS without actually being designed for it? Do you realize that that game will only be out in two years at the minimum? I would think that that would be a good time to move on from the DS altogether.

In fact, I don't expect there to be any main series release in 2011, as Game Freak have already outdone themselves by releasing main games three years in a row. Only in the advent of the 3DS being reserved for Generation VI do I see Black and White's third version coming out in 2011, marking the end of Generation V as was the case with Crystal in 2000. But I think that it is far more sensible to make the full transition to the 3DS within Generation V, thus avoiding making the generation a short-lived one, as well as not having to wait three years to utilize the 3DS.

As Outrage has said in this thread, Diamond and Pearl were not fully-fledged DS games. Wouldn't it make more sense, then, for the first take on a 3DS Pokémon game to be a late Generation V entry, as opposed to the main Generation VI titles? If Game Freak can't bring themselves to take full advantage of the capacities of a new system on the first try, it wouldn't hurt if they were humbler about their first approach to that system.

You missed my entire point. What I said was I think the third version or the rs remakes, whichever comes last, or hell even both, will be 3ds titles but still playable on a dsi. Like bw are dsi titles playable on ds/lites. Yes I think the latter gen V games will be on the 3ds. I don't see why you typed that much telling me I'm wrong when we're practically saying the same thing. Only difference is I think the 3rd version and the rs remakes will still be playable at least on a dsi. I don't think they'd split the generation that much.

You missed my entire point. What I said was I think the third version or the rs remakes, whichever comes last, or hell even both, will be 3ds titles but still playable on a dsi. Like bw are dsi titles playable on ds/lites.
That is not exactly what you said, and the difference is a major one.

It wouldn't suprise me to see the third version be dsi exclusive with use of the camera and maybe the sd card or dlc.
As for black and white themselves, I really don't see a whole lot being different between gameplay on a ds/lite and the dsi
The obvious interpretation of these two quotes is that you don't think Black and White can do anything truly worthwhile with the DSi, through no fault of the DSi, which is to say that a third version could benefit from being designed exclusively for the DSi. That made me question why you seem to think that there could be DS/i games that would benefit from extra content when played on the 3DS (a possibility that has to be implied yet by Nintendo).

I don't think that DSi-exclusive titles are on Nintendo's agenda, and so whatever Black and White end up offering will be it for that system. If by some chance certain 3DS titles can be played on the DS or just the DSi, I still see those games being branded as proper 3DS titles. I also doubt that Black and White's DSi-exclusive features will receive much attention; let's just say that neither non-Japanese Yellow's GBC palette nor RGBY's SNES palette were made out to be a big deal.

Last edited:
Only difference is I think the 3rd version and the rs remakes will still be playable at least on a dsi. I don't think they'd split the generation that much.

That makes zero sense. There would be no reason for them to do that, the 3DS would have already been out for almost 1.5 to 2 years, maybe even just 1 year, when the third version/improbable remakes come out. I don't even think that would be possible.

Also, for anyone thinking about DSi exclusive titles, go look at the DSi exclusive library. Notice how they are all very cheap games that rely on a cheap camera gimmick, and how only like 3 have come out in the rest of the world besides japan?

That is not exactly what you said, and the difference is a major one.

The obvious interpretation of these two quotes is that you don't think Black and White can do anything truly worthwhile with the DSi, through no fault of the DSi, which is to say that a third version could benefit from being designed exclusively for the DSi. That made me question why you seem to think that there could be DS/i games that would benefit from extra content when played on the 3DS (a possibility that has to be implied yet by Nintendo).

I don't think that DSi-exclusive titles are on Nintendo's agenda, and so whatever Black and White end up offering will be it for that system. If by some chance certain 3DS titles can be played on the DS or just the DSi, I still see those games being branded as proper 3DS titles. I also doubt that Black and White's DSi-exclusive features will receive much attention; let's just say that neither non-Japanese Yellow's GBC palette nor RGBY's SNES palette were made out to be a big deal.

What I was getting at is I think in black and white the dsi enhancement won't bring much to the table that ds lite owners wouldn't see. As for the next game to come out I could see it being dsi exclusive, which would be playable on the 3ds (exclusive doesn't apply to backwards compatability), featuring the sd card usage and dlc. Aslo I could see this maybe having access to certain features on the 3ds that dsi users would not see. Maybe you get to see the full 3d in a legendary cutscene or something when it would be the 2.5d or whatever if you played it on a dsi. Basically it would tell the ds lite owners "yea it's time to step up and get the new handheld" while telling the dsi owners "you're in the clear for playing this but you're missing out without the 3ds"

All in all I think this generation will slowly move us closer to pokemon on the 3ds without completely abandoning the dsi.. Yet

What I was getting at is I think in black and white the dsi enhancement won't bring much to the table that ds lite owners wouldn't see. As for the next game to come out I could see it being dsi exclusive, which would be playable on the 3ds (exclusive doesn't apply to backwards compatability), featuring the sd card usage and dlc. Aslo I could see this maybe having access to certain features on the 3ds that dsi users would not see. Maybe you get to see the full 3d in a legendary cutscene or something when it would be the 2.5d or whatever if you played it on a dsi. Basically it would tell the ds lite owners "yea it's time to step up and get the new handheld" while telling the dsi owners "you're in the clear for playing this but you're missing out without the 3ds"

All in all I think this generation will slowly move us closer to pokemon on the 3ds without completely abandoning the dsi.. Yet

There aren't nearly enough DSi's (vs. DS Lites) to justify a DSi-exclusive 3rd version... if they want to do one that's still compatible with the DS, they may as well just make it work for all DS versions, and take advantage of the massive installed userbase.

That's irrelvent, though, as the 3DS will have been out at least 2 years before the 3rd version even comes out. There's no reason for the 3rd version to be anything but a 3DS-exclusive title. It'll stilll be able to trade with B/W, so I don't see the problem. The DS/DSi's day will be done by the time we get another main series Pokemon game after B&W.

As for the next game to come out I could see it being dsi exclusive, which would be playable on the 3ds (exclusive doesn't apply to backwards compatability), featuring the sd card usage and dlc.

As far as I know, and feel free to correct me, is that there is no DLC on the DSi store. I don't even think it is possible for there to BE DLC for a DS game.

There aren't nearly enough DSi's (vs. DS Lites) to justify a DSi-exclusive 3rd version... if they want to do one that's still compatible with the DS, they may as well just make it work for all DS versions, and take advantage of the massive installed userbase.

That's irrelvent, though, as the 3DS will have been out at least 2 years before the 3rd version even comes out. There's no reason for the 3rd version to be anything but a 3DS-exclusive title. It'll stilll be able to trade with B/W, so I don't see the problem. The DS/DSi's day will be done by the time we get another main series Pokemon game after B&W.

Eh I half agree. I don't think they'll completely phase out the dsi by the end of this generation. Especially with the dsi xl just coming out. I do think the third version will be designed for the 3ds but still playable on a dsi so all those people that bought the ds lite 4 or 5 years ago (or however long it's beef out idk) would need to upgrade to the 3ds but all the people who have only had they're dsi for a year or so can still play the games, just missing out on some features. Think back to gsc. Gold and silver were gbc enhanced games, still playable on a game boy. Crystal was gbc exclusive and if I remeber right the gba was very close to the release of that generation. At least crystal. I think bw and the third version will play out something like this.

.Especially with the dsi xl just coming out.
The "new" system is doing so well that it has already had a price drop in Japan.

Think back to gsc. Gold and silver were gbc enhanced games, still playable on a game boy.
I pity anyone who played Gold and Silver on the Game Boy, and I speak from experience. Nintendo certainly didn't make note of that even being possible, and for good reason.

Crystal was gbc exclusive and if I remeber right the gba was very close to the release of that generation. At least crystal. I think bw and the third version will play out something like this.
Precisely: Even Crystal was released before the GBA, albeit just narrowly. While that is the case now for Black and White, by the time the next main series installment is out, the 3DS will have been out for at least a year. There is no precedent for Game Freak preferring an older system to the most updated one at the time of a new game's release (except for what happened with HGSS and the DSi, which simply shouldn't be distinguished from the rest of the DS series).

Eh I half agree. I don't think they'll completely phase out the dsi by the end of this generation. Especially with the dsi xl just coming out. I do think the third version will be designed for the 3ds but still playable on a dsi so all those people that bought the ds lite 4 or 5 years ago (or however long it's beef out idk) would need to upgrade to the 3ds but all the people who have only had they're dsi for a year or so can still play the games, just missing out on some features. Think back to gsc. Gold and silver were gbc enhanced games, still playable on a game boy. Crystal was gbc exclusive and if I remeber right the gba was very close to the release of that generation. At least crystal. I think bw and the third version will play out something like this.

The reason I don't want a DSi-compatible 3rd version is mainly due to the rumours of how much more powerful the 3DS will be, compared to the DS/DSi. If the game is designed to run on a DSi, then it will barely be able to make use of any of the potential of the 3DS. I just don't see GameFreak doing that.

The DSi came out in November 2008 in Japan. The 3rd version of Gen V is likely to come out sometime around late 2012. At that point, the DSi will be 4 years old... and the DS will be 8. There's no way Nintendo is going to sacrifice quality on the 3rd version by catering to people who last bought a handheld 4 years ago. The DSi XL doesn't factor into it, as it doesn't even really improve on the DSi other than the larger screen (and uglier colour choices).

While I get that some people don't want to give up their DSi's, the fact is it was completely optional. It was a redesign, and the DS Lite has always been there as a cheaper alternative; and is still there, even now. When late 2012 rolls around, I think we're pretty much guaranteed that there'll be no new major (if any) releases for the DS/DSi.

Black and White are DS titles with optional DSi enhancements. If Game Freak were EVER going to make a DSi exclusive title, it would have been Black and White.

However, I'd guess that the next game (which will be released in 2012), will be for the 3DS.

The Special edition game could be a DLC title that includes a Battle-zone like area including the Battle frontier, Mascot pokemon story (similar to how heatran was handled in platinum), and a few surprises.

They could release it as a full title for the DS as well, but I would prefer to pay $10 for the new stuff then another $35 for what is essentially the same game I already played.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom