• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contestshipping vs Advanceshipping

Which one do you favor most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeice

Filling my post quota
Reaction score
We almost never get the opinion on Contestshippers when it comes to Advanceshipping , it always just pokeshipping. So I desided to start a debate with just Advanceshipping vs Contestshipping.

This is more of an opinion poll rather than a debate to me anyway. I choose Contestshipping because it's more interesting and because honestly, Drew is amazing. What kid these days throws/gives roses to his rival/crush? :p

Last edited:
falls_on_me said:
We almost never get the opinion on Contestshippers when it comes to Advanceshipping , it always just pokeshipping.

That's because there's a thread about this which is over a year old and has over 2000 replies over at SPP. :p

All the debating about this is over there, the people here don't seem to care about May's love life all that much. It's always Misty/Pokeshipping on Bulbagarden, May is an afterthought.

They like May, but shipping in regards to her is seen as secondary.

I can see why, though, since May puts her Pokemon and Contests above her love life, similar to how Ash puts his Pokemon and Gyms above anything else.

Also, its shown that May cares more for her little brother than anything else in the series. Max is the #1 boy on May's mind, always! :p

Most people now also seem to just see ContestShipping as canon and leave it at that.

Shipping is secondary anyway, though, and we probably have seen more May/Max moments than May/Ash or May/Drew.

^ There have definitely been more May/Max moments than May/anyone else.

Not counting the movie, though, there have been a lot more May/Drew scenes than May/Ash ones in the Battle Frontier. I'm guessing that's because the BF has been so rushed there hasn't been much time for character stuff, so it's been focussing on the more plot-driven elements. The May/Drew relationship has a bigger effect on the story, so it got more screentime. Which is interesting, IMO, because it shows that despite Ash and May being the leads, Drew is a more important character in May's story than Ash is.

Contestshipping I'd say. Partially because I don't see any reason for Advanceshipping to occur. Then again, I'm not the biggest canon whore in the land when it comes to shipping...I just hate the idea of Ash/May.

Contestshipping for me.

Why?

Because Drew likes May
Because May likes Drew
Because Drew gives her red rose (symbol of love)
Because Ash likes May as a sister
Because May likes Ash as a teacher or as older brother.

I don't particularly love or hate any of the characters involved here, but I voted Contestshipping, too, since (in my mind, anyway) it's a bit more plausible. Yeah, I'm pretty boring that way. :p

I'm tired of everybody pairing ash up with every girl they can think of!
I think I'll say contestshipping, just cause I want to. ^^

Ludispheal said:

Considering Ash/May travel together and have had a number of nice/emotional scenes together in a nearly 200 episode series, it's no wonder why Advanceshipping is seen as a a major ship. Aside from Misty, May is the only other plausible girl for Ash to end up with when the series ends. That is of course assuming Ash doesn't meet Hikari, because then she can be added to the mix. ;)

Pairing Ash up with every girl would be the people who pair him with filler girls that he shares a grand total of 5 lines with.

Last edited:
Advanceshipping is lead male x lead female, of course it was going to be a major ship. In this fandom (or, eh, any fandom), all two characters have to do is smile at each other and people will fall over themselves to pair them up.

Ludispheal said:

I'm tired of people thinking that May is like "every girl". She is part of the main cast, she isn't like a girl that Ash just runs into for one episode. I'm also tired of people saying that episodes like "The Bicker The Better" wasn't advanceshippy. If it was Ash and Misty or Drew and May in that episode instead of Ash and May, most pokeshippers and contestshippers would have said it was shippy.

Well, May still gets angry at Drew and he still taunts her. Ash doesn't do that with May in any way, shape, or form. He likes May, who likes him back.

Now, if the writers could do something gangsta with the Advanceshipping, I'd love to see it.

Scott85 said:
Considering Ash/May travel together and have had a number of nice/emotional scenes together in a nearly 200 episode series, it's no wonder why Advanceshipping is seen as a a major ship. Aside from Misty, May is the only other plausible girl for Ash to end up with when the series ends. That is of course assuming Ash doesn't meet Hikari, because then she can be added to the mix. ;)

Pairing Ash up with every girl would be the people who pair him with filler girls that he shares a grand total of 5 lines with.

Hikari would merely be a rival for Ash, and I doubt they'd like each other 'cause they'd get on each other's nerves.

You keep telling yourself that.

When it comes to the lead roles, people will always ship one way even if the evidence points the other way. I believe that Ash and May are very close, it's just that there doesn't appear to be any romantic feelings in there.

Not that I really want to go into this again, but considering Ash/May's angry/nervous reactions and body language in unison, of course it is.

If Ash/May didn't care about being called a couple, they would have said something like, "You've got the wrong idea, I don't like him," or "Uh, you guys are nutjobs, why do you think we like each other?"

Instead, everything Ash/May did fit the criteria for a nervous denial, the only thing it lacked was blushing.

Why do you think when it comes to Advanceshipping, the opposing sides always try to attack TBTB first? It's obvious because that's the first time the ship was blatantly conveyed to the audience, so obviously people will desperately try to explain it away.

All it lacked was a blush, and as said, Ash/Misty also made denials without blushing, back in the Orange Islands and in the Charmander episode. It is the same deal.

I don't recall anything Pokeshippy in the Charmander episode. The first Pokeshippy hint I remember was in Ghost of Maiden's Peak.

As for May and Ash's reactions in TBTB, they weren't nervous at all. They were angry reactions, but of course they had been fighting all day at that point. You would expect them to react in that way if someone told them they were a couple after all the fighting they had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom