• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contestshipping vs Advanceshipping

Which one do you favor most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
While universal tolerance and open-mindedness are good and laudable things that I usually go out of my way to encourage...

50:50, I'm sorry to say, is overstating Advanceshipping's case a wee bit.

The show writers used familiar and recognizable "TV tropes" to establish a pattern of character interaction between May and Drew typical for couples having "hidden feelings" for each other in anime.

Advanceshipping hints are less obvious (or less cliché, if you prefer) and more widely scattered, as well as more dependent on individual interpretation.

Purely from the POV of standard fictional techniques and how often they were used, ContestShipping has more and stronger hints than AdvanceShipping.

This does NOT make it a "better" 'Ship, or more enjoyable in any way.

But if you're talking ratio of hints...well, "hints" are an established storytelling technique discussed in a plethora of "how to write" books. There IS somewhat of an objective standard to refer to.

So I think it's not unfair to AdvanceShipping to put the numbers closer to 70:30, in ContestShipping's favor.

BUT Shipping is a fan activity to which canon is a base, not an inescapable fortress. Saying one Ship's hints are stronger, canonically, is NOT saying anything about the worthiness or quality of the 'Ship. One can make a good case for there being more creativity involved in supporting non-conventional Ships.

So yeah.

I would put that 70:30 in AdvanceShipping's favor because AdvanceShipping has more hints(30+ for AdvanceShipping to only 9 for ContestShipping) and the fact that May has been with Ash for more episodes than with Drew (May and Ash were in 197 episodes together, May and Drew were only in 15 episodes together).

AdvanceShipping wins this round. Better Luck Next Time, ContestShippers.(You'll need it if you have any hope of defeating me)

Seriously, I have nothing against AdvanceShipping. I do, however, have a problem with rabid AdvanceShippers who mercilessly bash ContestShipping.

And double triple-posting isn't exactly gonna win you any brownie points with me, either.

*I expect this thread will be closed very soon*

*I expect this thread will be closed very soon*

ME TOO!!! THIS IS GETTING VERY POINTLESS!!!! CAN WE JUST ACCEPT THAT THERE IS MANY POSSIBILITIES ON WHO'S GONNA GET MAY? ITS POINTLESS IF WE KEEP ON FIGHTING!!! THE WRITERS OF POKEMON MIGHT NOT EVEN ANY OF THESE SHIPS HAPPEN SO LETS JUST DROP THIS STUPID THING CAUSE ITS NOT OUR DECISION WHO'S GONNA PUT EACH CHARACTER TOGETHER ITS THE POKEMON WRITERS!!!!!SO JUST DROP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom