• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

That kinda makes me wonder, what is the qualifications for entering supposed to be? I mean, if it’s just an open invitation, that feels a bit anticlimactic since at that point you really don’t have people having proved their metal to be there and is less of a tournament of the best of the best and more like a Clubsplosion tournament from Black and White.
I guess we'll know better once the subtitles come out.

Actually, in today's episode, Lana was actually pretty fired up when the Alola League was announced and didn't hesitate for a second to accept the invitation to participate.

I guess that isn't too surprising when she has had more focus lately compared to most of the other classmates. I just don't think it makes a lot of sense considering that aside from Kiawe, none of the classmates have been shown to be interested in battling. Kiawe was the only one really excited about participating in the Alola League when Professor Kukui first announced it, while everyone else, including Lana, were fine with just offering to help Professor Kukui.

That kinda makes me wonder, what is the qualifications for entering supposed to be? I mean, if it’s just an open invitation, that feels a bit anticlimactic since at that point you really don’t have people having proved their metal to be there and is less of a tournament of the best of the best and more like a Clubsplosion tournament from Black and White.

At this point, the Alola League being more like a Clubspolosion tournament might be their best option. If they do want more of the classmates to participate in it, then they can't have the traditional League setup. Most of them only have one or two Pokemon at most and unless they either bring Poipole back or have Ash capture one more Pokemon before the League starts, then he won't have a full team. The only requirement I could see them having is that everyone needs at least one Z-Crystal, but even that feels like a weak requirement. Allowing only those who completed the Island Challenge to take part in it would have been a good option if the Island Challenge didn't feel like a massive afterthought in the series.

I guess that isn't too surprising when she has had more focus lately compared to most of the other classmates. I just don't think it makes a lot of sense considering that aside from Kiawe, none of the classmates have been shown to be interested in battling. Kiawe was the only one really excited about participating in the Alola League when Professor Kukui first announced it, while everyone else, including Lana, were fine with just offering to help Professor Kukui.
In my eyes, Lana, while not having battled much, would still be the most fitting female classmate to participate. She is rather lively, after all.
If they do want more of the classmates to participate in it, then they can't have the traditional League setup.
Even the Rocket trio is apparently wanting to participate.

In my eyes, Lana, while not having battled much, would still be the most fitting female classmate to participate. She is rather lively, after all.

I guess that's true. I just don't think that having a lively personality really matters when it comes to League participation. It doesn't really change that Lana isn't battle active or how her goal doesn't really connect to Pokemon battles. Kiawe is the only classmate that is into Pokemon battling, so I can't see any of the classmates doing that well in this Alola League.

FinnishPokéFan92" said:
Even the Rocket trio is apparently wanting to participate.

This is possibly the only time that they could feature Team Rocket in a Pokemon League, but I still wouldn't have seen that coming at all.

I'm afraid that they’ll decide that this league doesn’t need any full battles, seeing that we’ve seen literally no one in Alola who has anywhere near a full team.

I guess that's true. I just don't think that having a lively personality really matters when it comes to League participation. It doesn't really change that Lana isn't battle active or how her goal doesn't really connect to Pokemon battles. Kiawe is the only classmate that is into Pokemon battling, so I can't see any of the classmates doing that well in this Alola League

Battle experience aside, I think Lana entering the Leauge does makes sense(somewhat) . Episode 32 and 33 shows that Lana likes to challenge herself by facing against difficult obstacles and since the Leauge counts as such a challenge, so it does makes sense.

I don’t like the influx of the "Special Pokémon needs to be taken care of" subplot Sun/Moon's repeating way too often, and it has seemed to end to give rise to an "Everyone and their mother needs a poorly developed Mythical" subplot.

This series has ended up with way too many mythicals in a short span of time. And Mallow keeping Shaymin just because seems iffy at best, specially since it’s doing nothing but looking cute, doing juice ads and getting lost in the next episode.

I don’t like the influx of the "Special Pokémon needs to be taken care of" subplot Sun/Moon's repeating way too often, and it has seemed to end to give rise to an "Everyone and their mother needs a poorly developed Mythical" subplot.

This series has ended up with way too many mythicals in a short span of time. And Mallow keeping Shaymin just because seems iffy at best, specially since it’s doing nothing but looking cute, doing juice ads and getting lost in the next episode.
On that same note, the fact that they seem to be repeating plots within the same saga even if in a different way. Not only are we getting another ‘group of Pokemon get lost’ episode but we’re also getting another Pokemon race with the addition of it being another Sophocles race.

On that same note, the fact that they seem to be repeating plots within the same saga even if in a different way. Not only are we getting another ‘group of Pokemon get lost’ episode but we’re also getting another Pokemon race with the addition of it being another Sophocles race.
That first race was mainly focusing on building up the relationship between Sophocles and Charjabug. This one is about Sophocles getting a Z-Crystal.

I’m not too bothered with the races since they’re a kind of competition more comparable to the PokeRinger than something like repeating an entire subplot Pokemon focus of a few episodes.

It’s a bit difficult to explain for me right now...

That first race was mainly focusing on building up the relationship between Sophocles and Charjabug. This one is about Sophocles getting a Z-Crystal.
Yea but if it had to be some kind of competition they could’ve come up with something other then what they’ve already done twice now. It makes them look like they’re short on ideas.

Battle experience aside, I think Lana entering the Leauge does makes sense(somewhat) . Episode 32 and 33 shows that Lana likes to challenge herself by facing against difficult obstacles and since the Leauge counts as such a challenge, so it does makes sense.

I think that would make more sense if Lana was shown to go through more difficult obstacles more often throughout the series. A couple of episodes alone doesn't really work as a reason for why she would want to take part in the Alola League. It still requires battling, which she hasn't really done much throughout the series and she hasn't shown much interest in battling either.

It really is a shame that Palpitoad didn't get much screen time - didn't it and Cilan's Stunfisk, who actually had more time to shine, appear and get caught in the same episode? Poor guy only appeared in nine episodes. The two of them could've been a duo, a couple of troublemakers who liked to cause problems for the hell of it. A bit bad-natured, but not evil, just two Pokemon who liked laughing at others expense, to a certain degree. Ash and Cilan likely could have even bonded mroe with trying to ge their two rowdy Pokemon under control.

In many ways I don't think many of the older characters and dynamics aged very well due to the old structure of the show. Ash's companions were generally treated like background characters in every episode until the writers specifically have a companion with a focus episode. Besides that most eps would either focus on Ash or the various filler characters they meet and their problems, while Ash's companions are relegated to background commentary just making dull comments over whatever happens in the episode.

If we are talking about controversial opinion.
I think 4Kids wasn't really bad at all like many exagerate.
Actually 4Kids was way way better than TPCi.
4Kids had make some awesome openings and ending i still hear today, my favourites are jukebox songs and advance battle opening. <3
In other side i didn't like the TPCi time openings and OST's. (this isn't controversial though. xD)

100% this. For the bad rap that those early anime dubs get, the combination of script and voice acting often had an authenticity and "life" to them. Modern dubs tend to go more for accuracy, and there's certainly a place for that, but then the finished product feels "wooden" as a result. The best example for me is looking at the two American Sailor Moon dubs.

Back
Top Bottom