• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

Pokejungle is reporting Counter as a new ability, not a move so the midnight form gets something unique.

Hmm, I'm guessing if it's hit by physical moves then it attacks back? Kind of like Parental Bond, but only if hit.

Issue for competitive battlers or people who want to train their own.

You could do both anyway...?

guys it only says it shows each respective form being evolved in each respective version. Does not mention that each forme is exclusive! GF just probably decided to show each evoltuion being evolved in each seperate game to show some possilbities that can occur from the 12 hr difference.

No need to jump the gun on the speculation guys!
Someone on the corocoro thread says the text says " サン限定進化" which means "sun restricted evolution". If that doesn't mean version exclusive, I have no idea what it means.

The CoroCoro page says サン限定進化, literally "Evolution limited to Sun," so I think it's a safe bet that they're version exclusives. :p

I'm afraid we might be getting off topic of this particular thread but I wanted to point that out.

For those of you who go with the day/night starters theory, Rockruff's evolution phenomenon is known as W (dubed as double) evolution.
It makes sense why they would classify it as the same species even though, ostensibly, they'd be branch evolutions, if Sun and Moon were different dimensions. I just wish Game Freak thought about this more with regards to how they'll handle/explain this in future generations so we don't get a scenario with a form-locked Deerling all over again. Sure, they'll just make Rockruff's evo actual day/night evolutions but what differentiates it now from Eevee who was the original Day/Night evolution dog thing.

Holy balls, my girlfriend was right. Game freak really IS money grubbing enough to create evolutions you can only get in one version or the other so they can get people to buy more than one version.
She thinks that certain evolutions will be only in one version, since she thinks Nintendo are a bunch of money grubbing fools who milk everything they can out of her fans.
I was hoping she'd be wrong. what a stupid idea.

You could do both anyway...?
Yes, because competitive battlers go on the GTS for perfect IV Pokemon. And you can totally raise a Rockruff in its base form and evolve it into its midnight form in Sun...

Anyway, I'd like to think that if you have Solgaleo and Lunaala in the same version, Rockruff can evolve into both since its evolution is tied to their power.

We really need to get clarification on this version exclusiveness thing, this is starting to get really worrying.

If it does happen, though, I wonder if the starter forms will be the opposite or the same as the game theme. If Rockruff is supposed to be tied to the starters, opposite forms could create a nice contrast. Though the starters are more in the focus, so it'd be odd for them to not match the game theme.

guys it only says it shows each respective form being evolved in each respective version. Does not mention that each forme is exclusive! GF just probably decided to show each evoltuion being evolved in each seperate game to show some possilbities that can occur from the 12 hr difference.

No need to jump the gun on the speculation guys!

Pretty much this! Serebii just states that each form was obtained in each respective game. They didn't say specifically that they were version exclusives.

Version exclusive pokemon families are one thing: You can trade for a member of that family and then breed yourself a fresh one to raise on your own.

Version exclusive evolutions? You better hope you have a friend willing to IV grind that pokemon for you if you want it exactly how you'd use it yourself. And gods help you if you get one that has a stupid nickname because you're stuck with it. Because if you get a Sun Rockruff, it's still gonna evolve into the Moon evolution in moon version.

Maybe THIS is the reason why they put in the IV Hyper Training. Better save up yer bottlecaps, folks. If this all is true, You're gonna have to grind some traded pokemon to use on your team.

Have I mentioned I absolutely loathe this idea? Like, pure furious loathing. I like to use my own caught pokemon, not traded pokemon (since, y'know... until you get the final badge or whatever they're gonna be disobedient little shits if they level up too high... which they're more likely to do since traded pokemon get boosted EXP).

If the starters have multiple forms like Rockruff's evolution...

Please let luchalitten be in Moon Please let luchalitten be in moon. I will be beyond cheesed if I can't get the starter I want because I will only get ONE VERSION. My girlfriend doesn't pick fire starters so I could never ask her to pick Litten just so I could get the final form I want.

Though gods know the moment I can, I'll be flooding wonder trade with my version's final evolution for others.

This is too stupid to be real, but too stupid to not be something they'd pass up for TEH MONIES AND 'LOVE OF TRADING WITH FRIENDS LOL U GUYS'.

Well, I can already tell the Midday form jumped in utility tenfold just for having that priority move. So I guess Rockruff's evo does depend on the game you play, oh bugger. On the other hand, it does give each game a bit more individuality, but it's gonna a bit of a torture for people who like elements from both versions.

And of course the one I like better is in the version I won't be getting. >-> I know girlfriend loves werewolf's design though so I will at least be able to trade. And she doesn't give pokemon stupid nicknames.

Erm... well she doesn't give the pokemon she trades ME stupid nicknames, anyway. She probably hates the Nintendo game swear filters. xD

And here I am thinking Arceus will make the worlds align or something and I will finally be able to get a wolf Pokemon I actually like, and then they go and make the Midday one Sun exclusive.

RIP.

Yes, because competitive battlers go on the GTS for perfect IV Pokemon. And you can totally raise a Rockruff in its base form and evolve it into its midnight form in Sun...

Perfect IV Pokemon? There's Hyper Training, which people will probably use over breeding if it's efficient. If you want the right nature or for it to be the same Rockruff, just get one for it, trade it to a friend, have them evolve it, then give it back. If it's such an issue, just get the game version you want with the stuff you prefer :p. The point of version exclusives is that you won't get everything naturally and you need to trade. Do people really want more exclusive content in the games or not? It's not like it's bad exclusive content. If there are people who are that fussed about the content, then I'd expect those kind of people to do their research to try getting their optimal experience from just getting one version. GameFreak are making it a point that with Sun/Moon you need to interact with people and share experiences if the Train On trailers are any indication, and this kind of exclusive version content further pushes for more interaction. It's not some large amount, but it does give kids that bit of wow factor when they see the different formes and learn that they need to trade to get them. I'd only argue that it was money grubbing if during the trade itself, the form changes so you can't really get the other one.

Anyway, I'd like to think that if you have Solgaleo and Lunaala in the same version, Rockruff can evolve into both since its evolution is tied to their power.

That could work.

If the second applies, that means you only can trade the fully-evolved version of the desired forms you're looking for; completely killing the opportunity to breed/raise them from Stage 1.
I'm having a little trouble believing they would do that. How did Scatterbug's work? they evolved based on the origin game, not the game you were playing right?

I'm having a little trouble believing they would do that. How did Scatterbug's work? they evolved based on the origin game, not the game you were playing right?

Correct, if you trade a Scatterbug to someone else, it will evolve based on your game, not the game it has been traded to. I imagine the same will be the case with Rockruff, so if you have Moon and receive a Rockruff from Sun, it will evolve in the Midday Form.

That's really not the way to go when making version exclusive content imo. On the other hand the concept of version exclusive evolutions is about as dumb and inconvenient as the concept of trade evolutions (actually even more so) so I'm not all that surprised with their decision.

Last edited:
Correct, if you trade a Scatterbug to someone else, it will evolve based on your game, not the game it has been traded to. I imagine the same will be the case with Rockruff, so if you have Moon and receive a Rockruff from Sun, it will evolve in the Midday Form.
This will still be very annoying for the fan's that breed competitive pokémon tho :l (like me)
I hope they just meant the Sun and Moon as in the day and night and not the games? We'll probably know for sure on the 14th.

Back
Top Bottom