• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

darkest story moment?

AZ's story was so sad; I cried twice at that (during his backstory and then when his Pokemon comes back to him). I had never cried at a computer game before, not once in 32 years. Thanks, depressing Nintendo :p

Also I was thinking and (I know it's not cannon or anything) but does anybody else suspect that Cyrus and/or N are meant to be autistic? If they are, then it's even more horrible that they get mentally abused. (I'm sure it says in Pearl something about Cyrus' parents treating him badly).

What is PWT in B&W2? I want to see Giovanni if he's in it. Or was it wireless and now, nobody can play with it.

Pokémon World Tournament. It's not Wi-Fi. :) You can battle any Gym Leader and Champion (except Koga and Iris).

Anyways, my top 5 darkest moments in Pokémon are:

Grovyle's self-sacrifice in Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness/Sky. I was very happy to find out he does not get erased from existence and I will gladly use my Mega Sceptile to ANNIHILATE Phoebe's Dusknoir and Sableye.

The Lavender Town Marowak. Duh.

The implication that Lysandre and a ton of Team Flare members are all buried alive under the rubble of the Ultimate Weapon.

Ghetsis going insane after losing to you. Again.

And obviously, AZ's story of mass Pokécide.

Also, Giovanni's suicide is a fan theory. And one as crazy as Ash's coma.

Awesome, cheers :) I was sad when wifi ended for G5, that majorly sucked!

*Checks sleeve* Aha, here we are ;)

I don't reckon Lysandre is buried alive, no way are they gonna put something that dark in a game for nippers. Even if he was, he's got the holo caster, he's just call Prof Sycanmore or somebody on it to come and get him :)

The only thing that has made me step back and go "wtf" for a second was learning about N's backstory, finding his room, and Ghetsis's explanation.

Destroying the world or taking over it (every game except for B1W1) is pretty standard fare for video games, so while it's obviously worse in some ways, it's not shocking to anyone really. But the thing about how N was raised is actually really creepy because it's not something that would normally come in a pokemon game. I mean, I got goosebumps walking into N's childhood room because it didn't hit me how messed up that was until that point.

Discovering that Team Flare's goal is to kill everyone shocked me a bit as I didn't expect something like that to be in a Pokémon game. This disturbing threat was further intensified when these Flare grunts said something about Pokémon screaming while the mysterious stones drain their energy.
Furthermore, N's whole story was very sad, but dark nonetheless.

-Ghetsis wanting to murder you :D! (Apparently it's just a mistranslation but still, thank you N!)
What? There was a mistranslation? What was mistranslated??

Yeah he was meant to freeze you so you can watch what he does to the world, instead when it got translated it seemed like he wanted to impale you on Kyurem's icicles.

to be fair it looks like he is about to stab you not freeze you

Awesome, cheers :) I was sad when wifi ended for G5, that majorly sucked!

*Checks sleeve* Aha, here we are ;)

I don't reckon Lysandre is buried alive, no way are they gonna put something that dark in a game for nippers. Even if he was, he's got the holo caster, he's just call Prof Sycanmore or somebody on it to come and get him :)

OH, yeah, you can still do the Pokémon World Tournament, you just can't use the GTS. You can even still use wireless to trade with nearby friends.

And I think he is. There's a Team Flare grunt in Kiloude City who apparently talks about the crowd of grunts that burned alive as they ran out of the hideout. I personally never checked it out, but someone mentioned it on here. And quite a few people in-game mention that they didn't see Lysandre escape the hideout (Btw, you, your rival and Shauna were all near Lysandre when the place blew up, and it's never explained how we escape...)

And as for Giovanni's suicide THEORY, I don't buy it. At all. Doesn't add up, honestly. I'd write an entire paragraph on why it's BS, but I'm too lazy. :p

I use wireless to trade with my nephew (which involves us wiggling the 3DS sytems about a lot as we try and align them xD)

Nope, Lysandre must be alright because he is one of my fave characters and nothing dreadful is alloed to happen to anybody I like :p I do think if he needed rescuing, he'd call Prof Sycamore on the holo-caster. Also, when you beat Serena in Kiloude City, she gives you an Absolite (sp) and says she reckons it'll give Lysandre hope. So he must be alive and I am guessing, not trapped underground or he probably wouldn't care about the Absolite.

That is worrying about the grunts though cus didn't everybody be made immortal in X? Wouldn't they be alive but horribly burned? (That would actually be very dark) :/

I hope I don't look like I'm arguing here or anything, I just like to discuss stuff a lot :p I'm hoping that when the next game (sequel or third game) is released, many questions will be answered :)

I am only speaking of the main games here, not spin-offs.

I think X and Y had some of the darkest moments, and to be perfectly honest, I really didn't like the direction it went there. The tone just seemed too grim, what with people and Pokemon dying en masse (at least the mention of it and going as far as showing pictures of the war that happend). I know death has been mentioned in these games before, but X and Y took it even further, and the whole thing really left a bad taste in my mouth. Black and White also had a dark tone to it with Ghetsis, and guess what? I didn't like that plot point, either. He was such an irredeemable character that he made past villains look like bumbling pushovers (except maybe Cyrus, but even he wasn't as terrible as this guy).

Yeah, there have been one-off moments like Team Rocket killing Marowak, but that was just a one-off moment that really didn't have a huge impact on the story. The whole war of Kalos plot in X and Y and Ghetsis being a complete monster of a character were central to those games, and I really hope Game Freak doesn't feel the need to make a game even darker to one-up those moments.

[video=youtube_share;HS7-CE_mHPg]http://youtu.be/HS7-CE_mHPg#t=1m58s[/video]

Around a minute, 58 seconds is where the fun begins and believe me, this is just the tip of the iceberg here. Kidnapping, Brutal execution, deception, a rather grim* future, and just to top it off, killing off the main character (don't worry, you get better)

*by grim I mean future where the sun never rises and time never passes. meaning, if you die, you will be stuck in that dying state for eternity. Aforementioned execution just so happens to involve 3 saybleye using fury swipes on you while you are tied to a post. Again, you can't die, and I don't think those would-be fatal wounds will ever heal.

And that's just before the credits.
after that you get serious contemplations of suicide, Palkia attempting to murder you, and Darkrai, who is revealed to be the big mastermind of what happened in the first half of the game, literally giving some poor little random Azurill an infinite eternal nightmare because, well, he felt like giving a poor little kid an eternal nightmare. But don't worry, this kind Drowzee is willing to help you enter Azurill's dream, oh wait, This is the same one that kidnapped azurill earlier

Clearly this is a great game for your kids.

Last edited:
I think N's story was easily the darkest of the Pokémon franchise. Ever since he was a baby, Ghetsis was manipulating him by only allowing him to see Pokémon that had been abused by people, so Ghetsis was moulding N into his warped vision from the very beginning . N's Play Room in the Generation V games to me, remains as the creepiest location in the series.

AZ's story was pretty sad, but I felt that XY did fudge it up by not focusing on it and Team Flare as much as BW did with N and Team Plasma.

I use wireless to trade with my nephew (which involves us wiggling the 3DS sytems about a lot as we try and align them xD)

Nope, Lysandre must be alright because he is one of my fave characters and nothing dreadful is alloed to happen to anybody I like :p I do think if he needed rescuing, he'd call Prof Sycamore on the holo-caster. Also, when you beat Serena in Kiloude City, she gives you an Absolite (sp) and says she reckons it'll give Lysandre hope. So he must be alive and I am guessing, not trapped underground or he probably wouldn't care about the Absolite.

That is worrying about the grunts though cus didn't everybody be made immortal in X? Wouldn't they be alive but horribly burned? (That would actually be very dark) :/

I hope I don't look like I'm arguing here or anything, I just like to discuss stuff a lot :p I'm hoping that when the next game (sequel or third game) is released, many questions will be answered :)

Oh, it's fine. We're not arguing. :p

Nobody was made immortal in X. Lysandre was going to force immortality on you, Serena/Calem and Shauna, but that's when you battle him and he doesn't follow through after he's beaten. In Y, he's just going in for the kill. And why would Sycamore help him? Yes, they were friends BEFORE but if my best friend tried to kill me without warning, I wouldn't rush to dig her out of where she was.

But I will agree that Serena/Calem hoping your mastery over the Absolite gives Lysandre hope does hint at his survival. So does the fact that everyone else near him (you, Serena/Calem, and Shauna) all escaped at roughly the same time. Hopefully, he himself was cursed with immortality like AZ was (considering AZ is his great x100 uncle) and will have a massive change of heart over the next 3,000 years.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but my darkest moment was by far the strange house in black/white 2. I remember double checking if I really read it right because I couldn't believe this would be implemended in a pokemon game. Basically, the plot is there are tales of a little girl haunting the bridge, where appearantly she died in an accident playing with her abra. It is later revealed, however, that she was actually killed by a Darkrai. She didn't just die either; the Darkrai slowly consumed her dreams while her family were rushing to find the Lunar Wing to cure her. In which they succeeded too late. And if that was not dark enough, the little girl's ghost is now haunting the bridge forever, trying to attract the attention of Cresellia to return the Lunar Wing for it can no longer help her. But the thing that made this really dark were the quotes from the girl's ghost. For example, in her dark dreams the Darkrai would speak to her using her dads voice.
Some qoutes from the girls ghost:

"An everlasting dark dream… An endless dream of darkness… Dad, Mom, Abra… Where are you…?"
"In the dark dream… I heard my dad’s voice… Forget about the Lunar Wing… Please stay here with me…"
"Oh… The Lunar Wing… I can’t take it now… But it’ll be OK… Please return the wing to the Pokémon… I was waiting on the bridge so I could return it myself…"

Everything about this seemed dark and sad to me. A child dying; a pokemon trying to capture a child in an everlasting dark dream; the little girls ghost... This little event really shows the dark side of pokemon, whereas usually it's human that are evil and abuse pokemon to do evil stuff. Pokemon going full darkside is rare in pokemon games outside of pokedex data.

Other things that spooked me were the Hex Maniac ghost in the Lumiouse City elevator as I didn't expect a ghost there, and some pokedex entries (looking at you Hypno, Banette).

Last edited:
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but my darkest moment was by far the strange house in black/white 2. I remember double checking if I really read it right because I couldn't believe this would be implemended in a pokemon game. Basically, the plot is there are tales of a little girl haunting the bridge, where appearantly she died in an accident playing with her abra. It is later revealed, however, that she was actually killed by a Darkrai. She didn't just die either; the Darkrai slowly consumed her dreams while her family were rushing to find the Lunar Wing to cure her. In which they succeeded too late. And if that was not dark enough, the little girl's ghost is now haunting the bridge forever, trying to attract the attention of Cresellia to return the Lunar Wing for it can no longer help her. But the thing that made this really dark were the quotes from the girl's ghost. For example, in her dark dreams the Darkrai would speak to her using her dads voice.
Some qoutes from the girls ghost:

"An everlasting dark dream… An endless dream of darkness… Dad, Mom, Abra… Where are you…?"
"In the dark dream… I heard my dad’s voice… Forget about the Lunar Wing… Please stay here with me…"
"Oh… The Lunar Wing… I can’t take it now… But it’ll be OK… Please return the wing to the Pokémon… I was waiting on the bridge so I could return it myself…"

Everything about this seemed dark and sad to me. A child dying; a pokemon trying to capture a child in an everlasting dark dream; the little girls ghost... This little event really shows the dark side of pokemon, whereas usually it's human that are evil and abuse pokemon to do evil stuff. Pokemon going full darkside is rare in pokemon games outside of pokedex data.

Other things that spooked me were the Hex Maniac ghost in the Lumiouse City elevator as I didn't expect a ghost there, and some pokedex entries (looking at you Hypno, Banette).

Yes! Can't believe I forgot that. Or the ghost story from the haunted house by route 14. That sounded a lot like a horde of Yamask or something (faceless creatures) but I feel like that might be explained in a sequel.

The epic battle between Kyogre and Groudon which threatened to destroy the ecosystem while everyone could do nothing but watch. Hell, if it weren't for Rayquaza showing up... I don't even want to think about it.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom