• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Deaths of Anime/Manga Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angel Beats!
I was so attached to this anime so when everyone gets obliterated I'M CRYING!!!! Sometimes you have to let go of closest things and move on. I SWEAR THEY MIGHT NOT MEET AGAIN T.T

Ano Hana
When Hana dies obviously and no one notices her until like the LAST episode

Hanbun no Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora
Hospitalized people who fall in love with eachother and end up dying

Angel Beats!
I was so attached to this anime so when everyone gets obliterated I'M CRYING!!!! Sometimes you have to let go of closest things and move on. I SWEAR THEY MIGHT NOT MEET AGAIN T.T

Dear God yes. This entire show was like this.

And yeah Clannad as well:
The mother/daughter dying was awful to watch. It was so sad.

Pokemon:
Ash from movie 1. Yeah, he came back and all, but I was only like, 6 when I saw this.

Digimon:
Wormmon's death was sad and all, but what about Wizardmon? That was horrible and depressing to watch as a child. Surprised that one wasn't mentioned yet. Because there is no way he could come back at all in the first two seasons. Depressing as heck.

Also, Leomon's death in Tamers. Not because his death was all that sad, but because it basically caused Jeri to turn into a depressed maniac, allowing the D-Reaper to take her over

Dragonball Z:
Goku's death against Cell in that saga. Sacrificing himself to save the world, and finding out that it did nothing. He did come back, but I had no idea that would happen at the time I first saw it. Easily the hardest death to watch in the show.

mine is when the little girl dies in
grave of the fireflies
and if that doesn't count then
nina tucker from fullmetal alchemist :(

Death Note and my favorite manga character of all time.

He is immortalized in my avatar…( ; ; )

Hellsing
Pip Bernardotte - This was really heartbreaking to see in the manga/OVA, and I was depressed for a while afterwards. Luckily, Seras gets her revenge. ^^

Digimon
Wizardmon - His death was so touching when I was a kid, and I hoped that he would come back, but my hopes were dashed in 02. I feel so sorry for Gatomon.

FMA
MAES - OMG this was horrible. Maes was probably the nicest guy ever, and Envy had to go kill him. :<

Kamina from Gurren Lagann.
This ^ Plus:

Nia... Seeing her fading away like that was hard for me to watch...

When Megatron dies in Transformers 3. Dunno if counts but he was my favorite character from childhood.

Since we're talking Transformers:

Ironhide... I mean, getting shot in the back, then crumbling into a pile of rust... So tragic!

Hetalia
Holy Roman Empire. Though there are theories abound that HRE=Germany...

I have to admit,
The Going Merry's death, as well as Ace's, in One Piece actually moved me to tears. Very well-written.

Madoka Magica
Sayaka and Kyoko's deaths

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Yuki's death.
Poor Yuki.

Mirai Nikki
Marco and Ai's deaths, Minene's "death", etc's death.
Everyone dies in this anime xD

Soul Eater:
-Joe Buttataki in the manga. It was especially sad since he was about to go on a date with Marie. ;_;

-Shinigami's temporary death in the anime was pretty sad too, if a bit derpy; he'd already blocked Asura's attacks several times, so why did he shield Kid, Spirit, and Azusa with his body when Asura fired at him? e_e

-And even Medusa in the manga; she'd finally shown some kind of love for Crona, and then s/he killed Medusa because s/he thought she was lying again. Disturbing and sad at the same time.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters
Yami Yugi/Atem ;_;

Pokemon
Mirage Mew ;_;

Mufasa.

Dragon Ball-
Piccolo sacrificing himself to save Gohan from Nappa. It's the ultimate culmination of Piccolo's character arc, and it's that much more effective if you watched the original Dragon Ball before Z. I know the subtitles don't necessarily match (that's because the subs are for the Japanese language track), but they point out a particularly important point: Piccolo is the Great Demon King. It's just. Man. Then this music accompanied that scene in the original. This leads to a genuinely poignant moment after the Saiyan fight, when Gohan defies his mother and declares that he's going with Bulma and Krillin to Namek, specifically for Piccolo. And then even in Dragon Ball GT (which is generally forgettable) has another genuinely poignant moment, when Piccolo (in order to seal the dangerous Black Star Dragon Balls, which were created when Kami and Piccolo were originally one) elects to stay on the decaying Earth and die with the planet, which is the side-effect of making a wish on said Black Star Dragon Balls.

Of course, Goku's sacrifice during the Cell Games is pretty heart-wrenching as well. Definitely the culmination of his character arc, after his unfair treatment of Gohan during that arc.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Vegeta's sacrifice against Majin Buu. Yet again, the culmination of his character arc. He even knew his soul would be headed straight for Hell, and did it anyways, in order to protect his wife, his son, and his friends. Too bad the latter half of the Buu arc is such a mess, narratively speaking.

Special Mentions:
Scar, Lust, Sloth, Wrath, Maes Hughes, and Nina Tucker, from the original Full Metal Alchemist anime.
Kamina from Gurren Lagann.
Everyone from Angel Beats!

Mufasa.

Dragon Ball-
And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Vegeta's sacrifice against Majin Buu. Yet again, the culmination of his character arc. He even knew his soul would be headed straight for Hell, and did it anyways, in order to protect his wife, his son, and his friends. Too bad the latter half of the Buu arc is such a mess, narratively speaking.

I was actually just about to mention that one myself. Vegeta's first death got to me too. Vegeta is this character you're suppose to hate at this point, after you see the way he acted when coming to Earth, and during his time on Namek, but then he gets tortured by Frieza, after just being used by him for his whole life. And then the part when he starts crying as he tells Goku to beat Frieza for their race. Still gets to me, as much as his second death, and Goku's death during the Cell Games saga do.

FMA first series:

Like everyone else, Hughes's death made me almost cry.
Nina getting turned into a chimera and then her mercy-death, that was also really sad.
Lust's death also affected me a surprising amount.

Madoka:

Sayaka's witch transformation and Kyoko's death, OMG. Mami's didn't affect me as much for some reason, since I think its only affect was "shit is getting serious now!" and I already knew that was coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom