• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do We Want New TYPES? (Yes)

Don't see why people are fussing over Steel as a name.

No one has a problem with Grass-types including things that aren't grass. Hell, some of them aren't even plants! They're fungi!

Steel is a specific type of metal. Bronzor is bronze, a different type of metal, completely different from Steel. The name "steel type" for something that isn't even steel at all makes no sense. The name Metal would be a much better name to use, and I second that it should be changed to Metal.

I also agree with whoever said there should be ??? type Pokemon. Missingno. should be a ??? Type Legendary.

Sound and Honey types I'd be fine with as well, bringing it to a nice 20, but that could potentially destroy the balance system. The only reason Steel and Dark were added was to balance the broken system of Gen I.

You are overreacting. This is a fiction show, there doesn't have to be any logic in fiction what-so-ever. Please deal with that. There is absolutely no reason why they would have to go out of their way and place each Steel type Pokemon into their own metal category. Where the fuck would they place Heatran?! Steelix?! Mawile?! Dialga?! See it's better to just leave it Steel type then have 30 metal types and take forever to class each Pokemon.

And I lol'd hard at this next one.
If Missingno should be a legendary then all the glitch Pokemon should be legendary too. I'm not sure a glitch could even be a real Pokemon...oh wait..it isn't.

Bronzor being bronze is just from the name. First time I've ever seen bronze in a bluish colour.

The reason they are called Steel type is due to them having attributes of Steel, in particular, being very durable. Not all metals share this property as Sodium can be cut by a butter knife and practically explodes when in contact with water, and then there are metals that are toxic. Steel is a better descriptor of their overall characteristics.

Sonic = Normal/Electric

Cosmic = Normal/Psychic

Light = Electric/Psychic

So yeah, new types really aren't needed, period. Every single thing is covered the way it is now.

You are overreacting. This is a fiction show, there doesn't have to be any logic in fiction what-so-ever. Please deal with that. There is absolutely no reason why they would have to go out of their way and place each Steel type Pokemon into their own metal category. Where the fuck would they place Heatran?! Steelix?! Mawile?! Dialga?! See it's better to just leave it Steel type then have 30 metal types and take forever to class each Pokemon.

And I lol'd hard at this next one.
If Missingno should be a legendary then all the glitch Pokemon should be legendary too. I'm not sure a glitch could even be a real Pokemon...oh wait..it isn't.

It's better to have one type for them all called Metal and be accurate, than a name that makes no sense such as Steel. I never said create a Bronze type, Iron type, Copper type, etc. I said just change the name to Metal. That would be extremely easy to do, no effort at all.

Bronzor being bronze is just from the name. First time I've ever seen bronze in a bluish colour.

The reason they are called Steel type is due to them having attributes of Steel, in particular, being very durable. Not all metals share this property as Sodium can be cut by a butter knife and practically explodes when in contact with water, and then there are metals that are toxic. Steel is a better descriptor of their overall characteristics.

Bronze can be a bluish-green color, as has been pointed out already. Also, metal as a whole is generally thought of by everyone as being cold, hard, sturdy, durable, etc. Metal fits that role equally as well, while making more sense as a name.

There's absolutely no need for new types.

Everything is balanced as is, Dark/Evil was created to opposed the pre-existing Psychic type.
To created a Ligh/Holy/ whatever type is foolish and silly, Psychic is the Light type.

If anything, we need more type combinations, a flying typed (as in only flying) pokemon, and the 3 typed pokemon, I find those much more interesting.

If new types were to be introduced it would've happened in R/S or DP, everything is balanced as is.

EDIT: To rename "Steel" and change it to "Metal".... I don't have a problem with that, but accept the fact that it's not gonna happen.

"Metal" might be a better name, but "Metal" is also much more ambiguous, and Steel types have more in common with the specific metal steel.

Also, stop arguing about Bronzor/ Doumirror, only the Japanese names are important.
Goukazaru isn't an ape, it has a tail./rant

Last edited:
It's better to have one type for them all called Metal and be accurate, than a name that makes no sense such as Steel. I never said create a Bronze type, Iron type, Copper type, etc. I said just change the name to Metal. That would be extremely easy to do, no effort at all.
Well tough luck. It's Steel.

Don't see why people are fussing over Steel as a name.

No one has a problem with Grass-types including things that aren't grass. Hell, some of them aren't even plants! They're fungi!

Me either, its probalby not called metal as steel sounds better, and what metal do most think of when we say metal? Steel.

Why go though the whole trouble of renaming a Pokemon type when everyone else has been fine with it since GenII?

Me either, its probalby not called metal as steel sounds better, and what metal do most think of when we say metal? Steel.

Also, Superman could be called "Man of Metal" but steel sounds better and cooler. Also, Hagane translates into steel, as it is a steel used for sword blades. That makes it sound even cooler.

Back to the main topic.

Also, stop arguing about Bronzor/ Doumirror, only the Japanese names are important.
Goukazaru isn't an ape, it has a tail./rant

Yes, but according to bulbapedias side on Bronzong:
Its Japanese name is a portmanteau of the words 銅鐸 dōtaku, meaning bronze bell, and どんどん dondon, the sound a bell produces.

Still I don't see any reason why they should use Metal instead of Steel.
If so, then the Fire type should be renamed the Hot type, since Slugma is made of magma.

Last edited:
Little pointless changes like Steel to Metal is what I'd like Game Freak to avoid, and spend their time on graphics/new Pokemon/storyline. Regarding the main topic, I'd like a new type if they can have enough Pokemon in it & and actually make the weakness/resistances work, but I think that it's unlikely that it will happen.

More new type combination. When every type combination has been made, Torkoal and Absol can be evolved, and when Missingno. and Mew can be bred, is when a new type will be introduced.

I support the Light type and I have a feeling it may come true for this gen...

How early in the announcement process for Gold and Silver were Dark and Steel anounced? I remember Marill, Bellossom, and Hoothoot were the first three to be announced, but Murkrow was released pretty early too, right?

We have 17 types. It's confusing enough. We do not need more.

Fighting is your 'Light' type. Dark/Evil is not an affiliation as in other RPGs, it's just being a jerkass. ie: Suckerpunch, Pursuit.

No new types. It's balanced already.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom