• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do We Want New TYPES? (Yes)

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand there is no real balance issue right now, except for Grass and Poison types, not something a new type could really solve. But on the other hand, a new type would be fun. I guess at the end of the day we don't need it.

Hasn't Poison been a little rejiggered a little in, like, every game? I don't recall it always being ineffective against Steel.

Shinx: There are no pure flying. That was my point.

Rusty: I could see Helping Hand being the quintessential Light-type move in this system. Also, I dig the Gribble reference.

Ursaring: And Mewtwo.

Magic: This type could work for some of the fairy pokemon, and could also lead to pokemon based on other magical creatures. It could also work for pokemon based on stage magic, such as a rabbit that is based on rabbits that magicians pull out of their hats. So again, it's versatile.

This goes against my thesis that "Normal" does not adequately service the vast number of sound-based moves and pokemon, but I feel Psychic DOES do this for magic. I mean, in my book, Abra-Kadabra-Alakazam are the basic psychic-types, and their names are magic words! Same goes for Mr. Mime, to a lesser extent. And Spoink, because pigs are magic, right? That's... that's a thing?

Sound: I call this Sound rather than Sonic since it fits better with the existing type names (we have Water, not Aquatic, Steel, not Metallic, etc.) As has been mentioned, there are plenty of pokemon and moves that would fit this type so it could be worked into the game pretty easily.

THANK YOU. But yeah, good point. "Sound" does fit better.

And I don't think we can say that Steel and Dark were added to balance everything out, because Steel is just disgusting in terms of type-weakness. It has eleven resistances, one immunity (to poison, no less, which we've all agreed could use a boost), and only three weaknesses. However, I could see it being weak to Sound, though that is mainly just because I like the idea of structural resonance frequencies.

Ooh, there's an idea. Building Pokemon! Pokemon you LIVE IN. This is the future.

Meh, I don't think we need new types. Nor do I particularly want any. The type imbalance we have now wouldn't really be solved by it anyway.

But the type chart is a bit imbalanced. That's a fact. So, I'd rather have the type chart restructure itself a bit (not too much) to rebalance the game.

I mean,

Grass has five weaknesses and is resisted seven types.

Poison is only strong against one type... Grass (...yeah...)

Ice only resists... itself

Conversely,

Dragon has two weaknesses and is resisted by one type

Water has two weaknesses also

And, as previously mentioned, Steel has eleven resistances and one inmunity.

Yeah, the type chart needs to change a little.

Oh, and while we're at it, giving some secondary types to old Pokemon would not be a bad idea in the least *cough*Blastoise-Water/Steel*cough*

If they introduce something like "Light", "Sound", or "Cosmic"(I prefer calling it "Alien") they all need to help balance the type chart around.

Like say, Ground/Rock/Dragon resistances.

If they introduce something like "Light", "Sound", or "Cosmic"(I prefer calling it "Alien") they all need to help balance the type chart around.

Like say, Ground/Rock/Dragon resistances.

Light = Psychic pretty much. This has been beaten to the ground here. xD

But Cosmic... that might have potential...

There are plenty of type combination's that haven't been done yet, WHY add more types when you can just combine two of them and give one to a few Pokemon

This. This oh so, so, SO much.

Seriously, guys? Are 17 different types HONESTLY not enough for you? The number of types isn't the problem, it's the lack of creativity in pairing up those already types and making pokemon that can make the most of their attributes.

Dual-type moves? To that, I must say, oh HELL no. That would only make the system ENTIRELY too complicated for it's own good.

Hehehe. That's what I thought. I like the concept, but I know the execution would be horrible.

HONESTLY? No. I don't like 17. I like 20. 20 seems more ready to lend itself to a rounder, more balanced system than 17. This is not to disagree with the valid point you make regarding a lack of creativity regarding type pairings, and I wouldn't even mind seeing pairings that have no weaknesses (F******************************* you, Sableye), as long as they were interesting.

This. This oh so, so, SO much.

Seriously, guys? Are 17 different types HONESTLY not enough for you? The number of types isn't the problem, it's the lack of creativity in pairing up those already types and making pokemon that can make the most of their attributes.

Dual-type moves? To that, I must say, oh HELL no. That would only make the system ENTIRELY too complicated for it's own good.

I agree with this. 17 types is pretty much enough for us.

As for dual-type moves? Types that conflict with each other (i.e. Fire and Water) might not turn out well. And it's also hard trying to explain what types dual-type moves can hit for super-effective damage.

I think Steel should be renamed Metal to include any future pokemon whose themes revolve around any metals besides Steel.

thoughts???

The new types that are being tossed around seem to me to be invented for the sake of invention. Not like back in the old days where there was a legitimate reason to make new types (balance... oh god Gen I Mewtwo....)

Saying that we need new types because "This Pokémon would suit having a new type" is, in my opinion, flawed logic. Magnemite and Magneton were boosted up because they fell into the balancing scheme. Note how no Gen I Pokémon were given the Dark-type although some could potentially have handled it. I don't think it's necessary to screw around with the type charts just so we can have dual-type Clefairy.

And yeah. 17 is plenty. Don't make it too hard for the old(ish) fans to relearn the game.

I don't think adding a new type would be overkill in relearning the game (no more than the Physical and Special split of Gen. IV). I'm sure your average fan could deal with it.

But like so many others have already said, more types oversaturate what we have. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I will say this however: I wonder how the fans would react if they really did come out with a new type. I wonder how they'd react even more if it was a type they absolutely HATED.

Yeah, your religion maybe.

Wicca is a religion. Oracles in the ancient past weren't viewed as evil. The more you know.
Just the average religion shoved down people's throat all the time...y'know, the one that thinks Pokémon is evi-wait, that's a reason not to do it, and to introduce a "Witchcraft" type.

It's just now that the world tries to view everything scientifically that Oracles, Prophets etc are viewed as weird.

You can't just add equal signs between words and expect them to match up. Look I can do that too.

Burger = Cow
Cow= Mammal
Mammal = Human
Human = made in the image of God

Thus burgers are made in the image of God.
But what if it's a Chicken Burger?
Burger = Chicken = Bird = slang for woman = woman

Psychic powers are the ability to impose your will over another object, it has nothing to do with resisting the temptation of evil. If anything, going by human nature, those that would have those amazing powers may actually wind up abusing them.
Yeah, but not all humans are jerks =3

*facepalm* they basically have the same meaning...

Steel is a specific type of metal. Bronzor is bronze, a different type of metal, completely different from Steel. The name "steel type" for something that isn't even steel at all makes no sense. The name Metal would be a much better name to use, and I second that it should be changed to Metal.

I also agree with whoever said there should be ??? type Pokemon. Missingno. should be a ??? Type Legendary.

Sound and Honey types I'd be fine with as well, bringing it to a nice 20, but that could potentially destroy the balance system. The only reason Steel and Dark were added was to balance the broken system of Gen I.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom