• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do We Want New TYPES? (Yes)

Yes and no. New types would be good (Light is a classic suggestion, and I would like to see a reappearance of shadow pokemon thrown in, although only for certain NPCs so it adds a new in game strategy besides brute force), but Sonic and Cosmic types are even more of a no than Pokefactory's Magic and Wind types. Still, I would like to see a ??? type plate for Arceus as an in-game Easter Egg, even if it requires in-game cheating/Action Replay/an event/unusual game-play practices/glitch nerfing/(insert secret method here).

Edit: I especially don't want to see a Sonic the Hedgehog rip-off. Sonic is too awesome to rip off.

I just really hope if they do make new types they make the types interesting. The over-said Light Type actually could work in some respects, but I doubt they'd ever do a "Light-type" (and no one bring in the whole dark/light argument here).

I've actually always thought of Psychic as the "light" to Dark's "dark". Which doesn't really sound all that positive, considering it's ineffective... hmm. Now I'm sad.

But, can they really make any-more and not making them completely outlandish or stupid?

That is the question.

I have to admit though your Cosmic type isn't too bad, but the problem is, unless GenIV is all like LOOK, SPACE, LOL. There won't be "enough" Pokémon that can fit into it. I mean, what Pokémon do we KNOW are actually "cosmic"? Clefairy, Jirachi, Deoxys.

Cosmic actually occurred to me in relation to Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus, because those four are all tied up in the nature and workings of the cosmos, and only after that did I think to extend the idea to actual "space" stuff.

And on that note, really, where do we go from here? We started with life itself (Mew), moved on to whatever Lugia and Ho-oh are (maybe Celebi and time), then Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza who made the planet, and then the DP guys who made the universe. What's next? I hope there's another thread exploring this...

You know, thinking about it, instead of a "Light" type as everyone says, something along the lines of a heavenly angelic-like "celestial" type appeals to me.
Fairy Pokémon would be included (Clefairy, Jiggly, NOT SNUBULL), and, depending on how they made it, it could open the way for angel-based Pokémon and holy-knight-based Pokémon, and so on.

You say holy-knight-based Pokémon, and all I can think of is Gallade, or more importantly, some kickass Farfetch'd evolution.

Nope, there is 17 types as is, most are used to the typing and the games are not just for new players, but veterians too and new types would just screw everything up. Basically what is said here:

My opinion, the game doesn't need any new types, and whilst it would shake things up a little and could probably open the way for another... like, thousand Pokémon, I think GameFreak (and some fans) are too afraid it would unbalance the current typing system and effectively screw up what makes the game good. I would like new types, but I'm scared they'd unbalance the game. Seriously, I hate games that have unbalancing usually :c

Besides we don't need new types, just good new pokemon that can make the best of types we already have, if thats good enough then thats the better option IMO.

IF Gamefreak decide we need another type, there is really only one, over-suggested option:

Light Type (Holy in Japan, like how Dark is the Evil type):
Super Effective Against: Dark, Psychic
Weak Against: Fighting, Bug
Current Pokémon that will become Light types: Togepi (Light), Togetic
(Light/Flying), Togekiss (Light/Flying).

Apart from the 'Light' type, there really aren't any other elements or whatnot that are substantial enough to be their own type.

To be fair, Bug needs some more strength.

More things to pair with flying, rather than making a pure flying pokemon!

IF Gamefreak decide we need another type, there is really only one, over-suggested option:

Apart from the 'Light' type, there really aren't any other elements or whatnot that are substantial enough to be their own type.

I assumed... a Light type would also be super-effective against Ghost types.

Seeing as light = day-time/day-light = ghost stereotypically do not come out in daylight.

There are plenty of type combination's that haven't been done yet, WHY add more types when you can just combine two of them and give one to a few Pokemon?!

Wait, you mean like, make single-type Pokémon RARER than dual-type?

Yeah, but.... WHY would Bug be It's Super Effective! against this? Bug is already super-effective against types, whereas Dragon and Poison only have one each.

Last edited:
I assumed... a Light type would also be super-effective against Ghost types.

Seeing as light = day-time/day-light = ghost stereotypically do not come out in daylight.

True...also, exorcisms etc.

Wait, you mean like, make single-type Pokémon RARER than dual-type?

You do realize that the cycle would never end if we kept adding more types but couldn't combine them? I don't see a point in adding more new types when you already have 17 to dip your hands and imagination into.

True...also, exorcisms etc.

Also, it being weak against bug-types doesn't make any sense.
Do bugs, you know, become SUPER POWAFUL in daylight? Do bugs harm light? Err. No.

Also, it being weak against bug-types doesn't make any sense.
Do bugs, you know, become SUPER POWAFUL in daylight? Do bugs harm light? Err. No.

Because Bugs need more power. Why is bug good against psychic?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom