• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

do you hide your passion for pokemon?

DO YOU HIDE THAT YOU PLAY

• Yes no one must know!!!

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • I only tell my friends/other fans

Votes: 106 39.4%
  • I talk about it once in a while and most people know it play

Votes: 79 29.4%
  • IM A LOUD AND PROUND FAN OF POKEMON TO EVERYONE!

Votes: 61 22.7%

• Total voters
My school building is 4 schools divided by floors. Over at my floor, most people don't really judge you by what you like. There are some shallow people, but I just ignore them since I don't really care. :/

I dont go around proclaiming it, but when people bring up Pokemon, I just say I love it cuz Im a dork and leave it at that. If they persist, I say Charizards the best and it usually ends.

Mooites said:
I dont go around proclaiming it, but when people bring up Pokemon, I just say I love it cuz Im a dork and leave it at that. If they persist, I say Charizards the best and it usually ends.

Man, people care so much about what you like around here, they'll get into a conversation with you about why you like it and such for so long. . It can get kind of annoying, but I usually like to get into discussions and debates about Pokemon, so it's all good!

By the way, Mooites, I love your avatar! <3 Ren and Horohoro, yay!

I'd wear more Pokemon stuff if they didn't all scream "Look at me! I'm an advertisement!"

No I don't hide it, but its not like I go up to every random person and tell them since you know, that's weird telling random people stuff about yourself. I don't even tell other people who do play Pokemon because they're annoying.

I hide it. Since most of my classmates don't watch Pokémon. I find it a shame when my classmates are talking about things like Naruto while I'm talking about Pokémon. They think that it's outdated since we don't have Pokémon anymore in HK. It stopped air 3 yrs ago for no reason!

Bulbagarden Forum is the best place for me to discuss about Pokémon!

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't know. Like many people around here say, I'm not ashamed that I watch and play Pokémon and buy Pokémon merchandise, but I don't go around telling every random person that I love it.

What would you say if a person you just met used the icebreaker "So... I heard you liek mudkipz"?

Friends and family know, as do people I know from anime clubs, etc. Generally, I don't air the information our further than that, and I certainly don't flaunt my fandom with merchandise in the office or with stuff I carry around. I figure that my students might not take me seriously if they knew. ^^;;; Having said that though, some students still find out anyway, after they google me on a whim.

I actually think that I've generation gap with my classmates! Oh my god! I don't even know what they're talking about. When I try to talk about Pokémon with them, they just say that they used to like Pokémon, but they think Pokémon is outdated now. Some may even give a very shocked look! And some even complain to me that Pokémon games are too difficult to play!

I don't hide it any more than I hide anything. If I want to play Pearl on the light rail, by gum I'm going to do it. If I want to wear my Team Rocket Returns shirt, nothing's going to stop me (reminds me, I need to *find* that thing). It's no different from someone having some manner of Star Wars geekery on them.

Of course, Portland is also known for being a city of freaks, so that may have something to do with it.

Nope. I've never hid my love of Pokemon from anyone. =)

During high school, I had Pokemon keychains hanging on my backpack, and I also wore Pokemon shirts to school. Of course, I was very shy and I didn't talk much to anyone (in general). However, the whole school pretty much knew I liked Pokemon, but I didn't care. And because I was so shy, no one said anything to me either (except for people I knew from my classes).

Of course, when I went to college, that all changed, because I made a lot of friends right from the start. The best part was that, most people there seemed to really like anime and games (afterall, I did attend an art college, lol). Because of this reason, anyone who goes to this school is seen as being awesome, as long as you like any kind of anime or game franchise. And even though most college students don't like Pokemon, still, no one ever said anything mean to me about it. Actually, most people loved the fact that I like Pokemon! Which is why I made so many friends there! ^_^

And I also advertised the fact that I like Pokemon, too. In fact, after I bought my Hoenn Ash hat, I wore it every day to my classes. And of course, I always brought my DS with me, too (so I could play it in-between classes and stuff).

Anyway, since I'm not going to school nowadays, I still advertise the fact that I like Pokemon. Every time I go somewhere, whether it's to the grocery store, to a restaurant, or to the mall - I always wear either my Hoenn Ash hat or my recently purchased, Kanto Ash hat. And because I own so many Pokemon shirts now, I choose one to wear whenever I go to the mall, or when I go to one of my favorite stores. And if I happen to meet another Pokemon fan, I always start a nice conversation with them!! =D

Last edited:
My friends know I like Pokemon. However I don't annoy them with it when they're not interested. I just find something I have in common with them and go from there.

I have played my DS in public with Pokemon and even talked about it with some however.

Though this is what I'm like with any hobby. It's nothing to do with being shy. I'm open but I know a conversation doesn't last so long if the other person just isn't interested so I don't go into it much unless I know they like it.

I'm not shy about taking the stuff into public if I felt like it.

That said people have respected my hobby's and don't treat me any different.

I don't vaunt the passion at issue or keep it laid bare for everyone to scrutinize, but I don't keep it in check and forever in inscrutable deeps, either. If anything, I don't see any reason to be mortified or embarrassed to begin with - that only leads to gyrating contemplations about the amount of discrepancy between "kid" and "mature" content and there is none for me. There's nothing "great" about adhering to adult material in my eyes, and the effectuality of either social structure is a matter of justification and opinion to me above all else. If anything else I think Pokémon is a unique show in that it doesn't allow itself to keep to the refrain that is the violence, sex, and profanity in pensive amounts that most of today's media and entertainment features, and rather gratuitously at that. Especially given how long Pokémon has been around. I think the higher bar is being unique rather than in being "greater" as that's just a relative search for fulfillment that kills itself in my eyes and the nature of the fandom, with no offense, also shows that in my view.

But back to the original topic, do I feel ashamed? No. Proud? In a way, and I've loved and still love the Pokémon franchise since the late 90's. Conceited? No. Definitively not. Happy with my interests and revealing it if needed or at the behest of whoever? Yes. If that answers anything. :p

Last edited:
I usually don't go around announcing to the world that I like Pokemon. I usually only mention Pokemon around my family and close friends.

Of course not! I'm only in middle school, so there's no reason for me to hide my Pokefandom. Most of my friends don't like it, but I have a few Pokefan friends as well. I mean, I'm kind of embarrassed to watch the show on TV where my older brothers can just waltz in and say "Why do you still watch this?", but there's nothing really wrong with watching it (argh, I know this is going to lead to a rant about there being a scarce amount of different TV shows for the preteen species!). I just like the nostalgia. -sobs- After all, Pokemon is pretty much the only thing I have in common with my brothers, but now they're in high school, so...

That said, I wish there were more boys in my class who like Pokemon. >_<

@Rhyperior: I know what you mean. I wish I could go back in time ten years or something, but still being in middle school. Then everyone would still be in the Pokemon craze (or just getting into it, LOL)! Now that I think about it, I had more friends who liked Pokemon in Kindergarten (I went to a different school back then) than now!

So there you have it. What started from discussion about Poke-shame has become Poke-nostalgia! How fitting, considering tomorrow is Christmas, and that was the day I got my first Pokemon game - Yellow (I think it was five or six years ago). I wish I still had it now...

I don't think i'm that passionate to Pokemon as to hide it from people whom i trust. Mainly because it's just a game and it's definitely not that important as to dedicate myself extremely to it.

i do hide it but if some teens do bring it up, i kinda just shut up and let them have their fun

but for example, if someone asks you "what animes do you watch?". Will you quote pokemon?

It depends on where I'm at.

At school, I may look at Serebii but I don't really say I'm a fan.

But everyone at church and most everyone in my family know I love Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom