• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

Was it though? I just rewatched the episode, and I couldn't tell, it was really hard to hear it. I don't think it was dubbed, though.

I don't think any Charizard in the anime has ever had an English voice, period. Not just Ash's, but all of them.
There is definitely a Charizard that says a deep “Charrr” in some episode. I remember hearing it. Likely what Eric Stuart is referring to.

Bulbapedia claims otherwise (they might've screwed up though and it may have already had switched to Michele Knotz for AG190), they say TAJ used Eric Stuart's stock audio for Squirtle like they did in Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon.

I agree on May's Squirtle using Stuart stock audio though for sure from S1-5 after AG145 in BF, and from what I heard, they used Eric's Blastoise stock audio in DP045 "Top Down Training" too in Season 10/early DP for Gary's Blastoise 100% that said.

I thought so too, tbh? Interesting stuff, I'm hearing what you're hearing?
Bulbapedia is wrong. That is clearly Knotz. When it does Water Gun and Rapid Spin are dead giveaways. It is VERY slight in this appearance only, because she did a much shittier job in subsequent Squirtle’s.

And yes, May’s Squirtle uses older audio as Stuart’s voice is deeper in later Squirtle appearances.

TAJ used quite a bit of recycled audio in S9 and 10. Spenser’s Venusaur is clearly Eric Stuart too. Gary’s Blastoise too.

Scizor in that one BF too. I think Koffing in one.

Bulbapedia is wrong. That is clearly Knotz. When it does Water Gun and Rapid Spin are dead giveaways. It is VERY slight in this appearance only, because she did a much shittier job in subsequent Squirtle’s.

And yes, May’s Squirtle uses older audio as Stuart’s voice is deeper in later Squirtle appearances.

TAJ used quite a bit of recycled audio in S9 and 10. Spenser’s Venusaur is clearly Eric Stuart too. Gary’s Blastoise too.

Scizor in that one BF too. I think Koffing in one.
I agree with you, as it didn't sound like Stuart's rendition to me either there. Most definitely agree there, her Squirtle was closer to Stuart's IMO than it is now back in BF (she's very obviously still just imitating his in 2018's SSB Ultimate, you can hear her trying to mimic it because Eric's Squirtle voice is iconic- trivia though I'm sure you already know like me because we liked the original dub warts & all very much- Eric's favorite Pokemon to voice was Squirtle because it was the very first one he ever did in EP012).

Yup, very obvious.

TAJ absolutely did: you could also hear Ted Lewis' Haunter in AG146 as well as Eric Stuart's Hypno + Gastly voices to name a few- Eric Stuart was 100% Gary's Blastoise in DP045 too via archive audio, they didn't start replacing all his voices until DuArt took over in Season 11 in the TPCi Era (the last thing to survive the mass recast overhaul purge besides some minor VA reprisals over time like Giovanni, Lucario, and Nurse Joy, was the PokeDex cue from 4Kids era S6-S8, TAJ and even DuArt kept it to the end of Season 13 but that's it). They would even re-use the 4Kids dub score/music every even episode in S9-10 through DP052, on that note, it didn't leave the dub permanently until DP053 (forget Goldfarb, I thought Loeffler's work declined when he came back personally, outside Paul's theme the rest of his music took a nosedive IMO even if he liked it more-- though he was still better than Ed has ever been to me).

Definitely.

Last edited:
There is definitely a Charizard that says a deep “Charrr” in some episode. I remember hearing it. Likely what Eric Stuart is referring to.
You sure it wasn't just a roar? In any event, not saying I don't believe you, just.......I can't remember a Charizard ever having an English voice.

Interesting! I wonder who the dub's script writer will be now that James Carter Cathcart can't continue in that capacity due to his severe illness? I really hope whoever it is does NOT replicate his style in the TPCi era, though, heck even not 4Kids' style and just stick closely to the Japanese script in Horizons (bringing back 4Kids' sense of humor would be welcome though, TPCi's slang-y & alliterative humor was incredibly unfunny to me-- both dubs had TRio rhyming a lot, though, but that intensified when DuArt took over the current dub from TAJ onward IMO).
There are things to be criticized about the dub's current scriptwriting style but aside from the TRio's dialogue and arguably some of Cilan's I don't think not sticking closely enough to the Japanese script has been much of a problem since BW or so. If anything a lot of the awkward word and phrasing choices are a result of them sticking a little too close.

With the TRio on their way out I have high hopes that the Horizons dub script will at least be decently faithful across the board. Though I was talking to some friends and we agreed that if any Horizons character ends up getting injected with a ton of slang, it'd probably be Nidothing, given that she's a streamer and all. I do hope they don't go overboard with that.:.
Was it though? I just rewatched the episode, and I couldn't tell, it was really hard to hear it. I don't think it was dubbed, though.
I directly compared the scene where it appears in the Japanese version and English dub; it was definitely dubbed over although it's admittedly hard to notice from only the dub version. I can post a clip if people want further proof.

There are things to be criticized about the dub's current scriptwriting style but aside from the TRio's dialogue and arguably some of Cilan's I don't think not sticking closely enough to the Japanese script has been much of a problem since BW or so. If anything a lot of the awkward word and phrasing choices are a result of them sticking a little too close.

With the TRio on their way out I have high hopes that the Horizons dub script will at least be decently faithful across the board. Though I was talking to some friends and we agreed that if any Horizons character ends up getting injected with a ton of slang, it'd probably be Nidothing, given that she's a streamer and all. I do hope they don't go overboard with that.:.

I directly compared the scene where it appears in the Japanese version and English dub; it was definitely dubbed over although it's admittedly hard to notice from only the dub version. I can post a clip if people want further proof.
I think Ash's "'kay" (why did he stop saying "okay" without dropping the o after 4Kids lost the rights, why? That hasn't changed to this day, he still did it in the most recent episode) and "so psyched" verbal tics need to never touch Liko's lips TPCi more or less gave him (he said the latter a handful of times before the switch, then it became his catchphrase from BF onward into JN apparently). "Stoked" however, is something that they invented, and "Thanks for the food" in Japanese SM became "Down the hatch" as well for some reason in the dub?

I will say I love that his to me back then extremely patronizing, "Ya see," "Ya know," and "I got me the Luck symbol/I got me x" tics from BF and DP's dub got killed off once BW started, though, and his hipster sayings from 2007-2010 dubbed like "Knock its block off," "Raise the roof" as well as "Totally wiped" etc. are at least no longer a thing.

I agree that sometimes them sticking too close is a problem, though, as well-- that said, you never know as much like 4Kids before them, what mood TPCi will be in with the script adaptation that said: it can change/fluctuate at any random moment to complete divergence as well.

I would believe you, an odd choice though since they'd never do it again IIRC on that. At least Ash's Charizard has never been touched to date, I think it and Pikachu are the only Pokemon that will have kept their Japanese voices over all 25 years of the dub (save early Kanto when Lillis had to fill in, in spots, when they didn't have access to the original audio).

Last edited:
I always thought Ash's "Well, he disappeared really fast, no doubt!" in XY after Clemont accidentally launches himself into the sky was a strange way for him to word that, myself. (The moment itself was still rather amusing, though.)

I always thought Ash's "Well, he disappeared really fast, no doubt!" in XY after Clemont accidentally launches himself into the sky was a strange way for him to word that, myself. (The moment itself was still rather amusing, though.)
The thing I'm most hopeful about improving with the dub in Horizons so far is the script writing: maybe giving someone else besides JCC the chance to write the Pokemon dub after Season 8 in 2006, will yield more natural dialogue?

The thing I'm most fearful of is the music so far and OP (I really wish they'd give someone else a chance besides Ed Goldfarb, even Geoff Li, just anyone...), the vocal direction has always been spotty but I think things can only get better with VAs no longer having to have to live up to what preceded them (and I believe the bar was set VERY high in this case, given even the LA renowned VAs still manage to pale by and large in comparisons to most including me too).

I think Ash's "'kay" (why did he stop saying "okay" without dropping the o after 4Kids lost the rights, why? That hasn't changed to this day, he still did it in the most recent episode) and "so psyched" verbal tics need to never touch Liko's lips TPCi more or less gave him (he said the latter a handful of times before the switch, then it became his catchphrase from BF onward into JN apparently). "Stoked" however, is something that they invented, and "Thanks for the food" in Japanese SM became "Down the hatch" as well for some reason in the dub?

I will say I love that his to me back then extremely patronizing, "Ya see," "Ya know," and "I got me the Luck symbol/I got me x" tics from BF and DP's dub got killed off once BW started, though, and his hipster sayings from 2007-2010 dubbed like "Knock its block off," "Raise the roof" as well as "Totally wiped" etc. are at least no longer a thing.

I agree that sometimes them sticking too close is a problem, though, as well-- that said, you never know as much like 4Kids before them, what mood TPCi will be in with the script adaptation that said: it can change/fluctuate at any random moment to complete divergence as well.

I would believe you, an odd choice though since they'd never do it again IIRC on that. At least Ash's Charizard has never been touched to date, I think it and Pikachu are the only Pokemon that will have kept their Japanese voices over all 25 years of the dub (save early Kanto when Lillis had to fill in, in spots, when they didn't have access to the original audio).
Beedrill has never been dubbed i'm pretty sure, and that's weird to me because it literally says "Spear" (It's japanese name)

I knew Garchomp's voice was dubbed in 117 but, the voice didn't sound that different from his JP that I wasn't thinking about that at all. Same with Charizard, even with the dubbed voice, it still sounds too similar to his OG voice that again, I didn't even notice any real change. Guess they've been trying harder to replicate the voiced when they can't keep em.

Beedrill has never been dubbed i'm pretty sure, and that's weird to me because it literally says "Spear" (It's japanese name)
You would be right there, but to clarify, I meant Ash's Pokemon per se. It's always said "Spear" in English, indeed, even in the BF episode with Anabel.

Anyway...

Back to the billionth round of speculation on the "nu" TPCi dub James, Meowth, and Prof. Oak for now (WARNING: This is NOT confirmed, I'm just trying to see if I get a single guess right here when the actual cast is revealed via pm.net, don't take this as confirmed as it is NOT):

James' 4th English dub VA: Roger Callagy/Rob Morrison (?)
Meowth's 4th English dub VA: Edward Bosco (?)
Professor Oak's 7th English dub VA (he's had several post-JCC in various forms of media unfortunately-- but he's on his 3rd in the English Anime dub to end it, why I say 7th overall in order of debut): Mick Wingert (?)

Last edited:
You would be right there, but to clarify, I meant Ash's Pokemon per se. It's always said "Spear" in English, indeed, even in the BF episode with Anabel.

Anyway...

Back to the billionth round of speculation on the "nu" TPCi dub James, Meowth, and Prof. Oak for now (WARNING: This is NOT confirmed, I'm just trying to see if I get a single guess right here when the actual cast is revealed via pm.net, don't take this as confirmed as it is NOT):

James' 4th English dub VA: Roger Callagy/Rob Morrison (?)
Meowth's 4th English dub VA: Edward Bosco (?)
Professor Oak's 7th English dub VA (he's had several post-JCC in various forms of media unfortunately-- but he's on his 3rd in the English Anime dub to end it, why I say 7th overall in order of debut): Mick Wingert (?)
Kingler will test this theory in a few weeks. The very faint noises it made in recent appearances were just removed from the dub entirely. Still not convinced about Pidgeot in the last episode either.

Kingler will test this theory in a few weeks. The very faint noises it made in recent appearances were just removed from the dub entirely. Still not convinced about Pidgeot in the last episode either.
Pidgeot wasn't dubbed in Partners in Time so it will most likely be kept undubbed.

We think Cathcart may still be voicing Meowth though can't be 100% certain of it
I'm confident he isn't, as he has a certain sound to his voice, and that sound just isn't there. Plus the way lines are delivered and pronounced are very different. Like Meowth voiced by JCC would say "Twoip" but this new voice just says it as "Twerp"

Back
Top Bottom