• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

So I have a bit of a theory, JCC has been credited in every episode of MPM despite not voicing characters and I think this is so he can still be paid, which could go to his medical expenses which is like what happened with an actor on Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy, Valerie Vernon who played Kendrix and she was diagnosed with leukemia and left the show to go under chemotherapy resulting in her character being killed off but despite this she was still credited in the opening titles to help pay for her treatment, it's very possible the same is true here!

So I have a bit of a theory, JCC has been credited in every episode of MPM despite not voicing characters and I think this is so he can still be paid, which could go to his medical expenses which is like what happened with an actor on Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy, Valerie Vernon who played Kendrix and she was diagnosed with leukemia and left the show to go under chemotherapy resulting in her character being killed off but despite this she was still credited in the opening titles to help pay for her treatment, it's very possible the same is true here!
The shows non union though? Not sure if that matters.

I think Ash's "'kay" (why did he stop saying "okay" without dropping the o after 4Kids lost the rights, why? That hasn't changed to this day, he still did it in the most recent episode) and "so psyched" verbal tics need to never touch Liko's lips TPCi more or less gave him (he said the latter a handful of times before the switch, then it became his catchphrase from BF onward into JN apparently). "Stoked" however, is something that they invented, and "Thanks for the food" in Japanese SM became "Down the hatch" as well for some reason in the dub?
I actually don't see the issue with "'kay" and will defend it on these grounds: in Japanese Ash says "yoshi" a lot which means "all right" or "okay", but the "i" part is almost never pronounced clearly and sometimes it gets slurred into one syllable instead of two, so more like "yosh". Because of that I don't think "'kay" is a bad substitute for the purposes of a dub script. Even when he doesn't say "yoshi" it's probably tempting to use "'kay" in a line when Ash is commanding a Pokémon to use a certain move, for example, and you're one syllable short from the given mouth flaps. And "psyched" isn't that uncommon to hear in real life in my experience, and probably has similar practical uses for a dub script since it's only one syllable, although yeah, it's kind of become an unofficial catchphrase with how often Ash in particular says it, so it would be weird to hear Liko say it with the same frequency. I don't remember him staying "stoked" a whole lot, though? And regarding "Thanks for the food", technically he didn't literally say that, it was just "itadakimasu", which is a Japanese expression used before eating or drinking that doesn't directly translate at all. I've seen it translated as "Down the hatch" outside of Pokémon; it's not my favorite translation of the expression, especially since that phrase is more associated with drinking than eating, but it didn't come from nowhere either.

Not Pokémon-related but, it's about dubs and it involves 1 of our actresses. So, last week someone on Twitter found out that Emily Jenness was sent a contract by Konami telling her to lend her voice for AI needs/purposes for Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links. She's been taking a stand to all this and it just makes me proud that TPCI will be going Union, cuz they can't do stuff like this. Just insane this whole AI thing is even here to begin with now that other companies are taking advantage of it.

I actually don't see the issue with "'kay" and will defend it on these grounds: in Japanese Ash says "yoshi" a lot which means "all right" or "okay", but the "i" part is almost never pronounced clearly and sometimes it gets slurred into one syllable instead of two, so more like "yosh". Because of that I don't think "'kay" is a bad substitute for the purposes of a dub script. Even when he doesn't say "yoshi" it's probably tempting to use "'kay" in a line when Ash is commanding a Pokémon to use a certain move, for example, and you're one syllable short from the given mouth flaps. And "psyched" isn't that uncommon to hear in real life in my experience, and probably has similar practical uses for a dub script since it's only one syllable, although yeah, it's kind of become an unofficial catchphrase with how often Ash in particular says it, so it would be weird to hear Liko say it with the same frequency. I don't remember him staying "stoked" a whole lot, though? And regarding "Thanks for the food", technically he didn't literally say that, it was just "itadakimasu", which is a Japanese expression used before eating or drinking that doesn't directly translate at all. I've seen it translated as "Down the hatch" outside of Pokémon; it's not my favorite translation of the expression, especially since that phrase is more associated with drinking than eating, but it didn't come from nowhere either.
I think there's no need to drop the "o" is all, since he says "okay" in both the previous old 4Kids dub and in Japanese, it's an annoying verbal tic like "psyched" I wish would depart the dub per se. "Down the hatch" just seems like something a jaded writer in his 60s would come up with (...I mean, no offense, but...), I much prefer "itadakimasu" as the fansubs translated it to "Thanks for the food" per se (I wish TPCi would give us LEGAL subs of this Series, a lot of my issues would be solved if we had a legal alternative but none such exists).

Re: Nidothing in Horizons, yeah, I'm worried about that but for sure it can only get better with TRio gone soon in the dub writing department.

Not Pokémon-related but, it's about dubs and it involves 1 of our actresses. So, last week someone on Twitter found out that Emily Jenness was sent a contract by Konami telling her to lend her voice for AI needs/purposes for Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links. She's been taking a stand to all this and it just makes me proud that TPCI will be going Union, cuz they can't do stuff like this. Just insane this whole AI thing is even here to begin with now that other companies are taking advantage of it.
Yeah, I heard about that this morning as well. I certainly can't blame her for being upset and I'm glad that she's taking a stand against that contract. As a voice actor, having their voices used without their permission or compensation is definitely not good. It's a shame that it keeps happening in Duel Links where voice actors are replaced for the English cast, but it isn't surprising.

I haven't heard about TPCI going union before. When was that confirmed? I'm so glad that it's going to be a union dub since it will hopefully provide better pay and benefits for the voice actors and staff in general, but I'm just curious when that came up before.

Yeah, I heard about that this morning as well. I certainly can't blame her for being upset and I'm glad that she's taking a stand against that contract. As a voice actor, having their voices used without their permission or compensation is definitely not good. It's a shame that it keeps happening in Duel Links where voice actors are replaced for the English cast, but it isn't surprising.

I haven't heard about TPCI going union before. When was that confirmed? I'm so glad that it's going to be a union dub since it will hopefully provide better pay and benefits for the voice actors and staff in general, but I'm just curious when that came up before.
It was found by someone on here a couple days ago. You can find it on the Sag-Aftra database.

What in the actual hell Konami? As if you haven't dragged your reputation through the dirt enough as is.

Really is just making me appreciate TPCI making the dub of the anime union now because crap like this is beyond insulting.

It was found by someone on here a couple days ago. You can find it on the Sag-Aftra database.
That's really cool. I'm glad that TPCI is going to become a union dub. I don't know what lead to that decision, but hopefully it will lead to more voice actors joining a voice actor union too.

I worry about the og yugioh actors.

Agreed.

And it's especially unfortunate that it's likely Celina she had to turn down. Since that's honestly one of my favourite performances of hers... but alas, I definitely respect her decision. Wouldn't be wise to sign a contract with that kind of clause it in, I'd say.

Last edited:
What in the actual hell Konami? As if you haven't dragged your reputation through the dirt enough as is.

Really is just making me appreciate TPCI making the dub of the anime union now because crap like this is beyond insulting.
I’ll give Konami credit for keeping the 4KMedia VAs for Yu-Gi-Oh earlier on because they could’ve done what TPCi did with Pokémon and purged everyone out, however, they did the right thing and kept that staff. Unfortunately, that staff is just as stuck in antiquated practices as Pokémon’s staff these days. When TPCi brings back Eric Stuart, Veronica Taylor, and Rachael Lillis post mid DP, gets a good script writer for the Series, and lastly stops the censorship that has returned from the 4Kids days plus drops Ed Goldfarb’s BGM, they’ll get back respect I lost for them permanently in late 2006.

I think both Konami and TPCi are very slimy companies, like 4Kids before them as was Saban, DiC, Nelvana etc but what Konami did back then showed real integrity compared to TPCi as PUSA back then. I’ll give them that they made the right choice in 2012 when TPCi did the wrong thing in September 2006, but right now, Konami made a bad choice on this that said.

(I still appreciate them giving Eric Stuart consistent continued VA work outside Shaman King and The Slayers, he’s someone I wish would come out of retirement consistently: Veronica Taylor lands the most roles out of the OG main 3 that TPCi holds a clear vendetta against for doing what most everyone has done by now- criticizing their dubbing and moral practices back at the time of the switch)
I worry about the og yugioh actors.
I’m worried about the minor roles as Leo also got recast, but aside from Yuzu in Arc V, Emily doesn’t do much else major so there’s that.

They did let almost everyone reprise their roles save a handful of people, it’s not like what they did in Pokémon post-4Kids as a company in charge, that said.

Last edited:
I don't like the cartoony voice Eric Stuart gave that yugioh sevens character. To each there own I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom