• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Eldershipping Discussion = Fun for All

but has anyone thought that maybe Mrs. Ketchum was married to someone? Since they call her Mrs. as a sign or being married.

Here are all the different ways I've seen this handwaved away:

1) Mr. Ketchum is just no longer in the picture, having given up his family for:
a) Team Rocket (see: Diamondshipping)
b) his pokemon training career
c) another woman
and therefore, they are now divorced.

2) Mr. Ketchum is no longer in Poke-earth, having died off or been killed by
a) Team Rocket
b) some Pokemon attack
c) Mystery Disease

3) The Mrs. is just a coverup! Her name is actually something else, but she has to be Mrs. as a front for:
a) a secret pregnancy from
1) Giovanni
2) Professor Oak
3) Spencer Hale
4) "Joe Schmoe" Ketchum
5) Sir Aaron
6) Ho-oh
b) her secret past as a Team Rocket operative (usually in tandem with a1 above)

4) Screw the husband! It's just Mrs. because she's still married, and no idea where the husband is, but there are certainly adulterous shenanigans happening over in Pallet Town. (OK, I have never seen this one in action. But it's still an option.)

Revolutionary Girl! Wow, there's a name I hadn't seen in ages. You'll want to fix that link in your sig, I think we deleted that ages ago after we thought you'd vanished.

Looks like Isshu has a lot going for Eldershippers. Ookido goes to Isshu in the first episode together with Satoshi and Hanako, from the looks of the sneak peak they showed on TV Tokyo tonight.

What's up! I'm still around. I sort of did vanish thanks to having to be a grownup, although I think we'd all hit a creative lull and just died off from there. This is an attempt to cast the nets and see who's still around and who's newly interested...

OH, HOORAY! I'd been wondering since the ep. speculation thread if he'd show up.

I was reading all the talk of Satoshi and Hanako potentially moving away and was ready to start writing breakup fic. Good that I can put it away... FOR NOW. *horror*

I've really got to get on board for figuring out how to watch these eps as they happen (when they come on, what's the legal way, etc.). Please keep us abreast of things that happen! :D

Uhhh, does any of you remember what Delia mentioned about Ash's dad by : He's a traveling trainer" and that as far as he went, he stopped in Viridian City ? I mean, c'mon guys, you know what I'm talking about. There's an 87% chance that Giovanni is Ash's dad ( Hence my name. ) . Who would've even thought about Oak being Ash's dad in the first place? ;)

Last edited:
Uhhh, does any of you remember what Delia mentioned about Ash's dad by : He's a traveling trainer" and that as far as he went, he stopped in Viridian City ? I mean, c'mon guys, you know what I'm talking about. There's an 87% chance that Giovanni is Ash's dad ( Hence my name. ) . Who would've even thought about Oak being Ash's dad in the first place? He's an old fart.
1) This has nothing to do with Eldershipping and 2) how many Eldershippers actually believe Ash is Oak's son? I'm pretty sure most support the idea Delia and Oak would get together long after Ash was born.

Seconding Roronoa Zorua's comment. 95% of us actually agree with you, Giovanni; there's a 98% chance we'll never know, though, so that way lies folly.

Anyway. I found a screenshot from the preview, and I am delighted to share it with you.

2hhht7q.jpg

So no need for breakup talk just yet, it seems. It's nice to see that they're still traveling together in some form. FOR NOW.

Hanako looks lovely as always, but... Yukinari, honey, what are you wearing? Then again, he's liked those loud shirts since Acapulco.

If you ship this, what do you like about it?
They're cute together <3
It also explains why they are often seen in each other's company (There's other explanations, but I personally like this one the best.) Plus I find the age gap between them interesting. It's not unheard of for people two decades apart to fall in love, but it isn't very common either (For the record I think Delia is about 32 and Oak is in his fifties.)

How did they meet?
I have a bunch of theories that I switch off on, but the one I usually go with is that Delia was a student of his in her early teen years along with Prof. Hale. Some family issues came up, and in a fit of rebellion she ran away from home and joined Team Rocket. There she met Giovanni, and the two fell in love. Madame Boss wasn't happy about this, but she didn't really do anything about it, figuring that her son was just in a phase. About a year after this her health declined and she died, leaving Gio in charge of Team Rocket. Obviously it was a very demanding job and this took him away from Delia. He was far from a saint before taking over, but as time went on he became even more ruthless and cunning. Delia became pregnant with Ash sometime during this, but didn't want to raise her child in that environment, so she faked her death on one of her missions with the help of some of her friends on the team. She returned to Pallet and initially her parents wanted nothing to do with her, so Prof. Oak took her in. Once Ash was born her parents realized how stupid they were being and forgave her for everything she had done, but they died shortly afterward, leaving her with the house she currently resides in. Prof. Oak took it upon himself to help them out, and little by little they ended up falling for each other.

As for why she's called Mrs. Ketchum, she changed her last name to a random one on the off-chance that Team Rocket might be looking for her and to keep the gossips in town from bugging her.

Sorry for the overly long explanation ^^;

Anyways, originally I thought we were just going to get a flashback of the Prof. telling Ash about Isshu from the earlier previews. Now that I saw the new one I'm even more excited for Best Wishes knowing that they're both going with Ash to this new region (what a nice family outing.) I am a little sad that we didn't get to see them at the lab with all of the Pokemon Ash didn't use in the Sinnoh, along with Tracey and Gary, but I'll take what I can get.

Seconding Roronoa Zorua's comment. 95% of us actually agree with you, Giovanni; there's a 98% chance we'll never know, though, so that way lies folly.

Anyway. I found a screenshot from the preview, and I am delighted to share it with you.

2hhht7q.jpg

So no need for breakup talk just yet, it seems. It's nice to see that they're still traveling together in some form. FOR NOW.

Hanako looks lovely as always, but... Yukinari, honey, what are you wearing? Then again, he's liked those loud shirts since Acapulco.

Hmm, I've seen the preview too. Oak must've been there to meet Yararagi or something XD

If you ship this, what do you like about it?
They're cute together <3

:thumbup:

Haha, Delia is my age in your headcanon. We're both getting old. :goof:

Re: the age gap issue: Add to that the whole power dynamic (he was in charge of her somehow once upon a time), and it all could be fairly creepy. But he never seems to lord anything over her, she seems OK with speaking her mind around him despite his age and position, and it's nice just seeing that they're being totally chill. (None of that angst we always want to give them over it visible, thank heavens.)

How did they meet?
<some awesome backstory that I follow as well, depending on the day>

That's fantastic, and I think you'll find that we theorize that same way (with subtle variations). But I'm interested in hearing your other potential theories, too.

Although another interesting thing that I'm noticing (thanks for stirring the pot, Giovanni) is that everyone pretty much presumes it's all Giovanni in the past, all the time. I wonder what keeps Spencer Hale from being a viable romantic option? Surely Diamondshipping is win for all sorts of badassness, and we've got a semi-canon nibble (as much as Live can be considered a canon, anyway), but Spencer's an option too (after all, she's concerned enough to demand to go along at the beginning of 3--of course that's her friend, but what can she do?).

(I guess what I'm really trying to say is, where my Elder/Haleshippers at? Do they even make y'all any more?)

I am a little sad that we didn't get to see them at the lab with all of the Pokemon Ash didn't use in the Sinnoh, along with Tracey and Gary, but I'll take what I can get.

I know, right? We need our extended family fix! :( At least they know they can leave everything in Tracey and Gary's capable hands...

Re: the age gap issue: Add to that the whole power dynamic (he was in charge of her somehow once upon a time), and it all could be fairly creepy. But he never seems to lord anything over her, she seems OK with speaking her mind around him despite his age and position, and it's nice just seeing that they're being totally chill. (None of that angst we always want to give them over it visible, thank heavens.)
=O This is how I feel about it too (even if it didn't seem like it because the way I worded it was a little odd.)
But I'm interested in hearing your other potential theories, too.
The theory that I usually go with after my main one would be the one Ilex presented in her story 'Mended.' While I did enjoy the angst, I'm glad they were finally able to be happy together and have no more secrets.

Although another interesting thing that I'm noticing (thanks for stirring the pot, Giovanni) is that everyone pretty much presumes it's all Giovanni in the past, all the time. I wonder what keeps Spencer Hale from being a viable romantic option? Surely Diamondshipping is win for all sorts of badassness, and we've got a semi-canon nibble (as much as Live can be considered a canon, anyway), but Spencer's an option too (after all, she's concerned enough to demand to go along at the beginning of 3--of course that's her friend, but what can she do?).

(I guess what I'm really trying to say is, where my Elder/Haleshippers at? Do they even make y'all any more?)
For me it's that I'm a huge Team Rocket fan. I like to imagine it as being very involved in the going-ons in both Kanto and Johto (like funding the Pokemon League to seek out possible agent candidates for example), so I tend to connect a lot of characters to it in some shape or form. Some of these theories I've mentioned in the Nevermet Shippings thread (Diamondshipping and Tyson being Prof. Oak's son, and I'm liking zel's idea of Bashou being Prof. Lund's son.) So I guess I've never been into Haleshipping because he wasn't in TR and I never figured him into it. (Though that does trigger some plot bunnies in my head. Where does he get his funding from?...)
It could also be that he hasn't been mentioned since the third movie, so he's "out of sight, out of mind" somewhat.

I know, right? We need our extended family fix! :( At least they know they can leave everything in Tracey and Gary's capable hands...
I guess that's the only solace to come out of that. ;_; I really wanted to see their new eyeballs too *sigh*

=O This is how I feel about it too (even if it didn't seem like it because the way I worded it was a little odd.)

:thumbup: It's an awesome worldview, because NOW THEY ARE EQUALS YAY. And who doesn't want a relationship like that?

The theory that I usually go with after my main one would be the one Ilex presented in her story 'Mended.' While I did enjoy the angst, I'm glad they were finally able to be happy together and have no more secrets.

Wow, thanks for giving me an excuse to start rereading this at work. Hadn't read that in years. :ksmile:

So I guess I've never been into Haleshipping because he wasn't in TR and I never figured him into it. (Though that does trigger some plot bunnies in my head. Where does he get his funding from?...)

OOH! Also, his house is too epic to get from some sort of university job (unless he's chairing something--highly unlikely, since he can pick up and leave at a moment's notice to go researching). Could it be... [strike]Satan[/strike] a Team Rocket payoff for information on another legendary cloing project?!?

(Or, you could have more twisted family history and say that perhaps the Hale wife is related to the TR shenanigans somehow. A brainy version of Domino? Giovanni's sister? Fly, plot bunnies, fly!)

I guess that's the only solace to come out of that. ;_; I really wanted to see their new eyeballs too *sigh*

Don't give up! There may be an inevitable phone call home! :D? :D?

Actually, along the same lines... This puts us sort of in the league of "questions for the sake of topics," but I am curious.

We generally see Ash as clueless about the relationship (which is sort of sad and unfair, but hey, we're still working off Kanto/ Johto paradigms, we're trying to get there, give us a break). I don't know that we've ever really given Gary a chance to weigh in. What's his thoughts? Is it awkward? Does it matter?

Or just talk amongst yourselves. Or make me talk to myself. IDK. :love:

OOH! Also, his house is too epic to get from some sort of university job (unless he's chairing something--highly unlikely, since he can pick up and leave at a moment's notice to go researching). Could it be... Satan a Team Rocket payoff for information on another legendary cloing project?!?

(Or, you could have more twisted family history and say that perhaps the Hale wife is related to the TR shenanigans somehow. A brainy version of Domino? Giovanni's sister? Fly, plot bunnies, fly!)
I've always though of Gio as an only child with a few cousins, but that's not for this thread.

That would make an interesting fic, though sadly I lack any drive to write one. So many possibilities...

Don't give up! There may be an inevitable phone call home! :D? :D?

Actually, along the same lines... This puts us sort of in the league of "questions for the sake of topics," but I am curious.

We generally see Ash as clueless about the relationship (which is sort of sad and unfair, but hey, we're still working off Kanto/ Johto paradigms, we're trying to get there, give us a break). I don't know that we've ever really given Gary a chance to weigh in. What's his thoughts? Is it awkward? Does it matter?

Or just talk amongst yourselves. Or make me talk to myself. IDK. :love:
We can only hope *sigh*

I generally see Ash as clueless about the whole thing until his friends point it out to him. After that he's like "....WHAT!?!" and initially kinda on the fence about it. After many reassurances and people pointing out how stupid and selfish he's being, he supports it all the way (Even if it means being related to Gary.)

As for Gary, I think he noticed the hints, but wasn't expecting it to lead to marriage. But he would be supportive of it (it's been awhile since Grandma Oak passed away.) In my headcanon Delia was basically a second mom to Gary, so he wouldn't be upset at their getting together, other then "Oh great, I have an Uncle Ash now..." (Not very serious though. It would mostly just be joking around, as the two have made up and have a much more relaxed rivalry now.)

Tracey would know right away (he is a Watcher after all) and be behind it 100%.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

I have screenshots from the new episodes! They are cute. <3

2i7uxr7.jpg

They're on the way to Isshu! It's darling that they gave Satoshi the window seat; wonder why Hanako didn't sit next to him, though?

2ew0bj9.jpg

I can't remember the nature of the crisis here. Pikachu may have gotten the lighting jolt in the lab at this point. I like the visible resemblance between Hanako and Satoshi...

vor15g.jpg

What? We caught you having breakfast together? Excuse me?

2mgmkaw.jpg

Oh, they're all having breakfast together. <3 SOmeone in the review thread pointed out that they really looked like a family in these episodes. I can't help but agree...

ht5qnt.jpg

Her expression is just so cute here I don't even. :D

6sdoc8.jpg

And they're sending Satoshi on his way! :D Just after this there was a Hanako shoujo moment with her hair blowing in the wind. <3

So it looks like our ship is alive and well! They actually seem really happy. <3

Except Professor Araragi looks like a sophisticated piece of work! I think it's that hairdo and that lab coat's popped collar. Anyway, keep your man close, Hanako...

To say nothing of them going on vacation halfway around the world together.

...Although now I kinda wanna see a fic where Delia invited herself after hearing that Aranagi is a woman, and didn't want Sam to get distracted (watch, Aranagi will be happily married or gay or happily gay married or something).

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

I have screenshots from the new episodes! They are cute. <3

2i7uxr7.jpg

They're on the way to Isshu! It's darling that they gave Satoshi the window seat; wonder why Hanako didn't sit next to him, though?

2ew0bj9.jpg

I can't remember the nature of the crisis here. Pikachu may have gotten the lighting jolt in the lab at this point. I like the visible resemblance between Hanako and Satoshi...

vor15g.jpg

What? We caught you having breakfast together? Excuse me?

2mgmkaw.jpg

Oh, they're all having breakfast together. <3 SOmeone in the review thread pointed out that they really looked like a family in these episodes. I can't help but agree...

ht5qnt.jpg

Her expression is just so cute here I don't even. :D

6sdoc8.jpg

And they're sending Satoshi on his way! :D Just after this there was a Hanako shoujo moment with her hair blowing in the wind. <3

So it looks like our ship is alive and well! They actually seem really happy. <3

Except Professor Araragi looks like a sophisticated piece of work! I think it's that hairdo and that lab coat's popped collar. Anyway, keep your man close, Hanako...
Oh my, I can't wait to watch these episodes. Eldershipping lives! My favorites out of those pictures are the breakfast ones. Whoever that reviewer was hit the nail on the head with the family comment.

On a random note, this is the first time I've seen the Professor without his lab coat on, and the first time they actually used a plane. (I was beginning to think everyone traveled by blimp in the Pokemon World if they wanted to fly.)

...Although now I kinda wanna see a fic where Delia invited herself after hearing that Aranagi is a woman, and didn't want Sam to get distracted (watch, Aranagi will be happily married or gay or happily gay married or something).
You're not the only one, that's an interesting idea. Maybe she's engaged to Prof. Ivy?

Those screenshots made me squeeeeeeee! Eldershipping makes me so happy and as for the age difference who gives a darn. :3 I'm with someone who is 11 years older than me and after a certain point it really doesn't matter.

:3

ELDERSHIPPING LIVES!

this post brought to you by anti anxiety drugs so my apologies on any incoherency. :p

I'm back momentarily for a request.

Ms. Mysty (yes, the one from the post above!) is considering jumping back into the fanfic world of Eldershipping, but requested that I provide a prompt to fire her imagination. I turn to the rest of you for something to fire my imagination on this?

What's a neat side of the dynamic that we haven't covered?

Of course it can be the same old chestnuts (see the complete works of Ilex, who seems to have covered everything!) with a fresh spin, but I feel like there must be something new and different for us to say/ see/ do... Any thoughts?

Hmmm...

• Tyson's Oak's child's (or children, who knows how many he had) view the relationship between the two.
  • Sam's/Delia's ex happens upon the two while they're out on vacation. It isn't a pleasant reunion. The one whose ex shows up is comforted by the other. (It would be interesting to see Sam's ex. Most fanfics say she's dead, but you never know.)
  • Delia becomes interested in Pokémon medicine/research and the good old Prof. is there to help her get her studies back on track.
  • If it's a more lighthearted fic, one of them could up a bizarre hobby or something. The other is forced to accompany them to some expo on it.
  • Delia thinks the decorum in the lab is a little drab, so while Sam is out (either for work or just a quick shopping trip, depending on how big of a change you want) she redecorates (with some help from Tracey of course. Maybe Gary too if he's around.) Sam returns home. Hilarity ensues.

I also like the idea IMM posted before:

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom