• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English as a second language

Status
Not open for further replies.
For English, there are many "governing bodies"--of style, not grammar or syntax. MLA, for instance, has rules for style. But standard English is defined by the people who (say they) use it.

The Unicode Consortium considers letters with marks added to them to be forms of their basic elements. Languages, of course, consider different characters to be their own letters.

On topic--er...Mandarin is even more difficult to learn and adapt than English? *Shrug*

Barney thinks every one should know english because thats the language that Americans and British poeple speak. Back during the 1600, 1700, and 1800 the british could kick ASS (excuse barney's language) And know americans could kick every one ASS! Yay were better then you (even though George Bush sucks Barneys fat purple **** that mother ****er son of a *****.... So Barney is having her... er.. his period right now.... he needs to go for a smoke any way...... wait did that come out? well any wayyyyy............... sincere hugs Barney!

English should not be a second language in America. Its appaling to think that we are catering to the Spanish and giving them special treatment over other languages, its shocking.

Missing the point again.

This is about people who don't natively speak English learning it.

English is on its way to becoming the worldwide second language, simply because of the economic and global influence of the US. I don't really think I would've picked it for the standard second language, because it mutates horribly and has such a hodge-podge of other languages that it really never makes sense unless you were born into it.

English should not be a second language in America. Its appaling to think that we are catering to the Spanish and giving them special treatment over other languages, its shocking.

Oh my god. Do you do anything but regurgitate things you hear on Fox News? You didn't even reply in the context of the topic. You just totally randomly vomited out the first stereotypically conservative thing that came to your head after hearing "English" and "second language".

English is on its way to becoming the worldwide second language, simply because of the economic and global influence of the US. I don't really think I would've picked it for the standard second language, because it mutates horribly and has such a hodge-podge of other languages that it really never makes sense unless you were born into it.

Oh my god. Do you do anything but regurgitate things you hear on Fox News? You didn't even reply in the context of the topic. You just totally randomly vomited out the first stereotypically conservative thing that came to your head after hearing "English" and "second language".

I dont watch Fox News, yeah, they are balanced, but I dont rely on the mainstream media.

English will never be a 2nd language worldwide. Why? Because of America. Heck, its going to be a secondary language here soon enough. The British are letting the muslums take over. America is being taken over by the Spanish, sorry to say, but English is probably on its way out.

Yeah, he's not quoting FoxNews, he's quoting the Ultra-Right bloggers.

It's not an improvement. Fox, at least, has to try to maintain a veneer of journalistic credibility.

Yeah, he's not quoting FoxNews, he's quoting the Ultra-Right bloggers.

It's not an improvement. Fox, at least, has to try to maintain a veneer of journalistic credibility.

Ok, Im not quoting anybody. This may be hard for you to take in, but I actually can think for myself, and dont need a media figure or the internet to enlighten me as to whats going on in the world.

Oh, so you're working off on your own private delusions instead.

Well, that explains a lot.

Of course research is possible.

Research usually involve facts, however, not alarmist statements that have little basis in reality (a la "America will be overrun by Spanish! England will become Englestan!").

Of course research is possible.

Research usually involve facts, however, not alarmist statements that have little basis in reality (a la "America will be overrun by Spanish! England will become Englestan!").

Peh, yeah, well this isnt something you have to look up in a textbook to learn, this is something you just have to look around to see, and observe what's going on around you.

What's going on around me is a fringe minority panicking because of what they perceive as an attack on our culture, when it is in fact only the necessary evolution of cultures as they come in contact, clash with each other, and change.

It's what has happened to cultures since the dawn of time, and will go on happeing to them long after we're all dead.

The culture that have suffered throughout history are those that have prefered to bask in their own perceived perfection, rather than allowing themselves to evolve at such contacts.

You'd be surprised.

Also, see my edit. Historical perspective is a good thing to have.

Note that I'm not saying the west should adopt the shariah or any such bullcrap.

America is being taken over by the Spanish?

0.o

I don't get involved with these debates usually...but even I don't think that's true.

If so...well, good thing I'm taking Spanish.

America is being taken over by the Spanish?

0.o

I don't get involved with these debates usually...but even I don't think that's true.

If so...well, good thing I'm taking Spanish.

Well, right now, its barely noticable. I guess its reading between the lines. However, this can probably change with one tiny factor changing, but as it is, Spanish will probably be the #1 language worldwide, maybe not anytime soon, but eventually.

My view on the immigration issue can be summed up by saying this: People who are here legally should take precedence over people who are here illegally, not vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom