• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' relea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' r

I believe the way it's generally handled is that Serebii is considered to BE a source in America who gets his sources privately in Japan. Most major news networks have sources too but don't post them because they are generally right an get their information from places the average joe could not. This is to say that, in general, people are more likely to say "the source was Serebii" than "I got it from ____, Serebii's source".

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see sources too- I'm just saying I think that's why he does it. Serebii as a whole is meant to be a news website and news sites decide when and where they give sources and when they don't. Even if something was announced before on a Japanese site, if Serebii brings it over Serebii is now the English source.

Again, I too would LIKE to see sources, but it's not that far from the mainstream to avoid leaking them.

Re: English HeartGold, SoulSilver names revealed: Fan site posts info before games' r

The names Lyra and Ethan actually do make sense. Kotone refers to the sound of a koto, a traditional Japanese stringed musical instrument, and Lyra refers to Lyre, which is also a stringed musical instrument, so those names connect quite well. Hibiki also went with that theme with its meaning of echo or sound. While Ethan doesn't go well with the theme of sound or instruments, it does mean strong or firm, which would make sense to be the name of the main male Pokemon Trainer.

Personally, I'm fine with these names. Of course it will take some getting used to, but it shouldn't be that hard. ^_^

Jean-Luc Pikachu said:
I believe the way it's generally handled is that Serebii is considered to BE a source in America who gets his sources privately in Japan.

That's the way the mainstream fandom treats it, yes. But that's bullshit. Serebii.net is just a fansite. It's not an official source.

A simple "it's on Serebii.net, and Serebii doesn't make shit up, so it's all good" is not sufficient.

Hey, I'm with you. I'm just saying I think that's what his counter argument is. Supposedly if a place is correct it is "the source", but that's still no reason to refuse to show sources ever. I'm guessing his sources want to remain anonymous or something but there's no way to tell I guess.

You know, I'd just like to point out if Serebii's e-penis is as big as everyone says it is, do you really think he'd risk posting information if it wasn't from a credible source when everyone can see where this will end up if he's wrong?

Not saying he's perfect, but I will say that despite getting many things right in the past, there seems to be a massive amount of wank over his secret source right now, which makes me think people are just going saying it because they want the information to be fake :/

No seriously, every time new "info" is posted, people only seem to scream about wanting a source whenever they dislike what's been revealed, like you know, the names :/

The rest of the name changes are just fucking stupid. They're just changing things just for the sake of changing things now

Weren't they already doing that a long time ago when they changed Japanese names into other Japanese names in the games?

Honestly, I don't mind when they changed the names like Arceus' elemental plates to have a more flavourful name, which makes me wonder...

...why in the world did they change the names of the Indigo and Crimson orb into something as lame as Blue and Red in the English versions? What, they couldn't even go with the obvious Sapphire and Ruby orbs?

Petrel= BAD!

By the way, is anyone going to update the "confirmed" names on Bulbapedia yet?

Petrel= BAD!

By the way, is anyone going to update the "confirmed" names on Bulbapedia yet?

Not until we have the game in-hand. We cannot stress this enough.

Not until we have the game in-hand. We cannot stress this enough.

But... isn't at least Lyra officially confirmed via Nintendo UK Official Magazine?

But... isn't at least Lyra officially confirmed via Nintendo UK Official Magazine?

The anime character Kotone is going to be confirmed come Saturday when she appears in the dub. That's the deciding point.

Lyra is pretty much official, at least according to Pokemon.com.

Hate the Rocket executives' names. I mean... "Petrel" just sounds so lame to the point that I'll WTF every time I fight him.

I prefer Looker to Handsome, since Looker seems to fit him better imho. But Pluto > Charon, though I can live with the latter given how minor of a character he is. I assume I'll be able to live with Archer and Arianna, presuming they're real as Sir Serebii has indicated, since those aren't bad even though they are inferior to the Greek god names. It's Petrel and Proton that just don't work.

Dowsing MCHN just looks stupid, but all of the other items are okay.

There's nothing that I can't live with, but there are just two that I'll keep laughing at.

The anime character Kotone is going to be confirmed come Saturday when she appears in the dub. That's the deciding point.

Her name is already in the description for the episode that's on Pokemon.com.

I prefer Looker to Handsome, since Looker seems to fit him better imho.

The thing with Handsome being a better (code)name than Looker for me is that English isn't my first language so naturally Handsome is a more literal, direct and powerful sarcasm, judging by the "looks" of the character.

The thing with Handsome being a better (code)name than Looker for me is that English isn't my first language so naturally Handsome is a more literal, direct and powerful sarcasm, judging by the "looks" of the character.

It isn't my first language and I still get it.

That's the way the mainstream fandom treats it, yes. But that's bullshit. Serebii.net is just a fansite. It's not an official source.

A simple "it's on Serebii.net, and Serebii doesn't make shit up, so it's all good" is not sufficient.

I don't like Serebii either, but discounting a reliable source of information with a good track record just because it doesn't come directly from the mouth of a PR agent seems silly to me.

Getting a Flip game instead of a slot game is pretty kickass to tell you the truth, and now Maxim will shut up. But Lyra...one of my original guesses. Ethan go go fuck himself though.

The biggest dissapointment was "Lyra"! NO SOUL!? I'M GLAD I IMPORTED! BETTER NAMES THERE!
Hey, Lyra is good name -_-

I don't mind all of the names for Team Rocked (and I don't really care XD) but they could of given Gold a better name. C'mon, Ethan? I was slightly disappointing at that, but he sorta looks like an Ethan I guess :/ Oh well, can't wait to actually play the game XD

Getting a Flip game instead of a slot game is pretty kickass to tell you the truth, and now Maxim will shut up. But Lyra...one of my original guesses. Ethan go go fuck himself though.

AND VOLTORB MACHINE GAME?! GOD?! WHAT THE Screwyinfernallypersonalitivitytranslucentlypresentativemilitarilymiasmaticativemanicalitransitivitysaintvisitiveholymotherfuckassion is that supposed to be?!

Yeah >_>

Outrage said:
Weren't they already doing that a long time ago when they changed Japanese names into other Japanese names in the games?

Yeah...I really shouldn't have put the "now" in there. Redundant name changes have been going on since the very beginning (Hi, Koga!).

Zeta said:
I don't like Serebii either, but discounting a reliable source of information with a good track record just because it doesn't come directly from the mouth of a PR agent seems silly to me.

And it seems silly to me to accept news from a site that doesn't have the common decency to even address the fact that they have sources. Serebii.net is not so big that it can get away with not citing sources or, at the very least, explaining why it can't cite its sources.

It's only a fan site. Don't forget that.

Also, I don't not like Serebii. I usually get along with him. But when he pulls bullshit like this, I'm going to call him out on it.

And it seems silly to me to accept news from a site that doesn't have the common decency to even address the fact that they have sources. Serebii.net is not so big that it can get away with not citing sources or, at the very least, explaining why it can't cite its sources.

It's only a fan site. Don't forget that.

Also, I don't not like Serebii. I usually get along with him. But when he pulls bullshit like this, I'm going to call him out on it.
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Sometimes you can't name your sources or say anything about them, and you certainly don't want to call attention to the fact that someone's told you something you shouldn't know yet. It comes across as arrogant a lot of the time when it's not. If you say "I have a source but I can't tell you about it - it's a secret source" then that's even more arrogant. Kind of a lose-lose situation. Though in this case it doesn't seem a little arrogant with his "EXCLUSIVEEEEEE." ;p

"You certainly don't want to call attention to the fact that someone's told you something you shouldn't know yet?" Um...the fact that Serebii posted this information on his front page does exactly that.

And you wanna know what's arrogant? Posting information and then expecting everyone to believe you because you're the one who posted it. The whole "I posted it and I'm reliable and I don't lie so you should believe me" thing is the very definition of arrogance.

As far as I'm concerned, the only piece of news that's been confirmed is the Voltorb Flip bit. Everything else is stuff that was posted on a fan site that's probably right but hasn't been 100% confirmed by any other source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom