• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

English Platinum announced: Third version to get English release on March 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
English Platinum announced: Third version to get English release on March 22

[[bp:pokémon Platinum Version|Pokémon Platinum]], the much-awaited third version of [[bp:pokémon Diamond and Pearl Versions|Diamond and Pearl]], has been announced for a North American release.

Read more on Bulbanews

Distortion World sounds badass.

But...Looker? Yes I appreciate the pun, but still.

And CHARON?!?! Dude that's not even a planet! And unlike Pluto, it never WAS.
...although come to think of it, that may have been intentional, since people were wondering if he was a commander or not.

Distortion World sounds badass.

But...Looker? Yes I appreciate the pun, but still.

And CHARON?!?! Dude that's not even a planet! And unlike Pluto, it never WAS.
...although come to think of it, that may have been intentional, since people were wondering if he was a commander or not.

In the end of the game he became a commander/boss when Cyrus stayed in the Distorsion world!

(psst, close your tag)

Yeah, but that didn't go over too well and he got locked up.

Also I noticed that the Circuit City page calls him a commander. Which is kinda strange because it's been my understanding that he wasn't. Or at least people said he wasn't, since there's talk that he hasn't recieved a promotion in five years, and it seems "commander" is the highest rank someone can get.

It's nice to know that Platinum has an offical release date. I figure it would be around Spring 2009, anyway.

I'm undecided about getting the game. I didn't buy Crystal, back in the day and waited for Emerald instead of buying the Ruby/Sapphire versions.

If I do get Platinum, it'll be the first time, I owned all three versions since Generation I.

And yeah, renaming Pluto as Charon is stupid. If the reason is because of Disney, that's even worse. Disney is a big company and Nintendo is a big company. Can't they just come to an agreement or something. It's like if say Disney makes a character called, Mario, but they back off the name because that's the name of Nintendo's mascot. Same idea if you think about it.

Last edited:
Well crap... Wat kind of names are these anyway, I mean Chron and Looker? Really Pokemon naming people, Looker??

Though I do have to say Distortion World sounds awesome.

hm... I wonder if this is really true or not. Isn't Circut City going bankrupt? Though, they really have nothing to lose or gain from leaking info, except reputation with Nintendo.

Love the name Charon! Really, I do. And it's a real name. In Greek Mythology, Charon was the guy who was boating people to Hades. (Hades [the god] = Pluto). And since he's a kind of "different commander" (I still believe he's a chief scientist), so naming him after a moon makes a bit sense. But I love the name. I've always though that some Ghost-type Leader/E4 could be called so...

But "Looker" sucks. It's the most generic thing they would ever think up. Codename "Looker" for a detective. Really...

"Distortion World" sounds awkward. If it was "Distorted World", it would be much better. I don't know what was wrong with "Torn" or "Inversed", honestly.

Charon

He's either a moon of Pluto, or the ferryman to Hades (ruled by Pluto in Roman mythology.) Either way it's a weird name.

And Detective LOOKER? Doesn't "Handsome" mean the same thing? Why the hell did they bother with THAT rename? I see the pun with "looker" as in, looking for something, but... talk about unnecessary.

March 22nd, though. I'm impressed at that date, to say the least.

I am overjoyed about the U.S. release date, and I don't really mind "Distortion World" (even though "Torn World" was better), but LOOKER and CHARON?!? Eww! What was wrong with Handsome and Pluto!?

I don't even know how accurate Circuit City is. Retailers aren't exactly knowledgeable with release dates anyway.

Anywho. Distortion World sounds pretty cool. Charon's not too awful, but I can live with it, but....

Looker?

0_0

Man, I like some of the english names they give, but I think this is the worst one they've ever given to a character. WTF?

I can see why they chose Charon. It's a cross between the planets and the dead. It really fits since he is friends with Rotom, a ghost type pokemon and part of Team Galactic. It's not terrible, I perfer Pluto more than Charon, but I can live with it.

Looker though... That's terrible. I don't know of any code names that are that bad in spy movies or games unless they are spoofs. Ick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charon_(moon)
Wikipedia said:
Charon (pronounced /ˈʃærən/ SHARR-ən; also /ˈkɛərən/ KAIR-ən, as in Greek: Χάρων), discovered in 1978, is either the largest moon of Pluto or the smaller member of a double dwarf planet with Pluto, depending on the definition employed. With the discovery in 2005 of two other moons of Pluto (Nix and Hydra), Charon is now also referred to as Pluto I.

That's probably the reason behind Charon being chosen as a substitute for Pluto. That is, if this information from Circuit City turns out to be correct.

I'll miss Handsome being called Handsome. It is a very epic codename.

Oh wow, bitching because of minor name changes. No surprise there. Seriously, grow up you lot. =|

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the new names. I actually prefer the name Looker, seeing as it's actually a clever double-meaning. Yeah, it's synonymous with "handsome" but also means literally someone who looks, such as (gasp) a detective! Distortion World pretty much sums up what it is - a world of distortion (of the laws of physics). Charon seems fine as a name, too, due to his role.

You know, I wonder if that's his last name and his first name was What and his middle initial was A. I wouldn't put it past them to do it.

It would also be pretty bad and I would have to hurt someone.

I don't get why people are complaining about Looker. It's a freaking synonym for handsome. No big deal. And Charon...I like it more than Pluto. It's darker. And it doesn't evoke images of a dog. And Distortion World...makes more sense as far as what happens IN that area.

Luxio2k8 said:
Disney is a big company and Nintendo is a big company. Can't they just come to an agreement or something.

The fact that they're big companies would only make it harder to come to an agreement. Besides, why waste the time when a simple name change solves everything?

Disney can hardly hold a copyright on the name of a planet.

Oh wow, bitching because of minor name changes. No surprise there. Seriously, grow up you lot. =|

QFT.

Also, god damn it. I hope I'll be able to finish Plat before then.. I'm kind of stuck on whether to buy English Plat or get Diamond again so I have the full set of main games.

The only comments I have on the names though is.. noes, they didn't name Handsome 'Gumtree' or 'Suedeshoes'. :( *shot*

Well, excuse us for voicing our opinions. I don't think anyone is making a huge deal out of it.

I agree with everyone else that Distortion World is pretty cool, but I don't like Charon and Looker. I didn't expect Handsome to be kept, but I expected a better name than that. Charon bothers me the most since this was zero reason to change it unless Disney threw a hissy fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom