• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Friend Safari

Bloop

Pokéfriend!
Reaction score
Friend Safari thread! I don't know what you'll talk about but I have a question. Are shiny Pokémon more common in the friend safari? I found my first Shiny Pokémon ever after about 50 encounters in the friend safari and I've been playing since R/S.

I literally just went back there to see if this was true and the 3rd Pokemon I came across, a Ninetales, wound up being Shiny.

Apparently a lot of people are finding shinies in Friend Safari.

Damn, that's kinda silly. Doesn't this defeat the whole idea of Shiny Pokemon?

I've been in the friend safari a bit and haven't found any. In fact, I've played Y for nearly a total of 90 hours and haven't found a single shiny, despite them apparently being more common in general.

Damn, that's kinda silly. Doesn't this defeat the whole idea of Shiny Pokemon?

I guess so, but I've been in Friend Safari many times before and never came across one so I guess I just got lucky. The chain-fishing method landed me quite a few shinies but that limits the kind of pokemon you'll get.

I'll see how many more shinies I come across in Friend Safari before I decide if they became too common.

i've been in a grass type safari and after 3 encounter with Ivysaur, the 4th was a shiny if that can help you to find the answer to your question

I've spent hours in Friend Safari and I've yet to find a shiny in all my 15 years of Pokemon.

Hope they are, it'd bring a lot more incentive for me to use the Friend Safari.

Found a Shiny Pachirisu today randomly in Friend Safari. I spent hours trying for a Shiny Charmeleon with no luck and I only seem to get these Shinies when I'm not looking for them haha.

So 2nd FS Pokemon so far.

Edit: 3RD SHINY! A Charmeleon. Was hoping to get one : D Modest Nature and Solar Power too. Will make a good Mega Charizard Y.
Also hatched a Shiny Charmander today using Matsuda Method to give to my best friend : D The Charmeleon was gonna be backup in case none of my eggs hatched shiny but I guess I'll keep the Charmeleon for myself!

Last edited:
I've been in the friend safari a bit and haven't found any. In fact, I've played Y for nearly a total of 90 hours and haven't found a single shiny, despite them apparently being more common in general.

I'm on the same situation. 80h played on my X, 20h on my Y. Not a single shiny. On the other hand, my friend managed to get a shiny sneasel the first time he ran thru that snowy route...

@Topic
Some ppl are reporting a higher chance of shinies on friend safari. I do hope it's true, because come on... it's a shiny with two 31 IVs! Only issue is hunting down the person with the FC that generates the pokémon you want @ the friend safari :p

Up to now, I've got three shinies on my X version. The first on, an Ursaring, I got by randomly walking around the flowers on Route 21. The second one, a Cloyster, I got in one of my friend safaries. The third one, a Clawitzer, I got via chain fishing in Cyllage City. Three shinies, three different methods. Therefore I'm not quite sure if the probability of meeting a shiny in a friend safari is higher than normal.

I am requiring someone who has a Dragon friend Safari that contains Dragonair. If anybody has has what I am looking for, please PM me. If you need to be convinced to add me, my safari contains Ditto, which can come quite useful for some.

Up to now, I've got three shinies on my X version. The first on, an Ursaring, I got by randomly walking around the flowers on Route 21. The second one, a Cloyster, I got in one of my friend safaries. The third one, a Clawitzer, I got via chain fishing in Cyllage City. Three shinies, three different methods. Therefore I'm not quite sure if the probability of meeting a shiny in a friend safari is higher than normal.

It is higher than normal. I have yet to come across Shinies in regular routes (except for chain fishing) and yet I've caught a Shiny Charmeleon, Ninetales, Gabite, and Pachirisu in Friend Safari. Most come up very quickly after entering a Safari. Other than the Hidden Abilities and 31 IVs in these Pokemon, the more common Shinies is probably a "perk" to those who add 3DS Friends.

I am requiring someone who has a Dragon friend Safari that contains Dragonair. If anybody has has what I am looking for, please PM me. If you need to be convinced to add me, my safari contains Ditto, which can come quite useful for some.
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f693/pokemon-x-y-friend-code-sharing-thead-156700/
There is someone on the list with a Dragonair in their Safari. I have them in my friends. Just PM them with your friend code and they'll add you back.

Okay, I'm pissed, I still have yet to see a single shiny. I've played over 120 hours. Also, I still think Shininess should be able to be bred down. Makes no sense that it isn't, to me.

Somewhat irritatingly, you apparently can't use pokeradar in the Friend Safari.

I found my second Friend Safari Shiny today, a Pansear (first was a Gabite). I'm pretty convinced the odds are higher. I'm not sure how long we'll go without knowing the exact odds but it's probably the easiest way to find a Shiny short of chain fishing.

i found 5 shinies i the friend safari. i found a chansey, pancham, magmar, lanturn, and today i found a shiny eevee. im so happy

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f693/pokemon-x-y-friend-code-sharing-thead-156700/
There is someone on the list with a Dragonair in their Safari. I have them in my friends. Just PM them with your friend code and they'll add you back.[/QUOTE]

Thankyou for letting me know. I'll track them down and add them.

Also convinced that odds are higher in the Friend Safari, although I wish we had an exact figure for how much higher the odds are. Got a Shiny Swalot while looking for some random Whirlipede to trade to my friend and she ended up encountering a Shiny Mawile minutes later. (Which ended up being Adamant with perfect IVs in Attack and Speed so I'm jealous.)

Dang, just got another shiny, a Munna this time. There has to be a much higher rate in the Friend Safari, my luck has never been this good.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom