• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Future Pokemon Game Speculation Thread

Edit: For BW remakes in particular, I've seen some concern that it won't even be a BDSP style remake but it will actually have fewer Pokémon than the original BW did based off how many we tend to get at release now.

Well I've been floating around that theory multiple times here. Not sure if there's anyone else saying it, but if they keep the same number as other Switch games, the whole 5th gen National Dex is definitely going to be unrealistic.

The sooner this fanbase accepts that Mystery Dungeon is finished the better. Super MD was a big celebratory send-off with past character cameos and every Pokemon that existed at the time crammed in and that was almost a decade ago now. If you look up the series' sales they cratered by nearly 90% after the DS, not even Rescue Team DX got it back to its old numbers. Maybe I'll one day be proven wrong, but right now I can't see a future for it.

I mean... if you're counting mobile spinoffs then yeah, but we rarely get any console spinoffs anymore.
Yeah. The only console spinoffs we got this decade were Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX (which are remakes of the original Mystery Dungeon games) and New Pokémon Snap, the long awaited follow up to the cult classic N64 game Pokémon Snap. Every other Pokémon spinoff released in the 2020s has been a mobile game, and this includes Pokémon Unite, which got a Switch port.

Especially when some players suffered memory leaks that wiped away years of save data in a mere second.
Wait, I'm confused. How can it be years of save data if SV hasn't even been out for two years? Am I missing something?

I apologize if this is a stupid question.

I don't get why people think a 2DHD game is likely. I'm only aware of that style being pursued by Square Enix and i think going down that route ignores the thing people like about the pokemon sprite art, the simplicity.

I'm confident we will be getting a Johto game, Unova is too obvious and they've already done a fair bit of Unova content with SV. I could see Unova featuring more in another batch of SV DLC, for sure, but I think if we do get a main series game in 2024, it'll be Johto. This is the exact scenario right before LGPE's launch, where everyone swore up and down we were gonna cap off the 3DS with Sinnoh or start the Switch with Sinnoh, and well, we got LGPE instead, because 95% of the Pokemon community forgot that Gen 3 had two regions that needed to be remade, not just one. The remake after ORAS was LGPE, then we went into Gen 4 with BDSP, we still have Johto though, which is next up for a remake.

If they REALLY wanted to get ambitious with it, I could see them splitting the work with ILCA and giving us both. Have ILCA do their faithful remake thing on one of the two regions, and have Game Freak do a Legends-style or some other sort of game with the other, so for example, ILCA does Johto remakes, and Game Freak does Legends: Original Dragon. That sort of arrangement.

In any event, I'll call my shot now while I have the chance. I called Kanto remakes in 2018, I'm calling Johto remakes for 2024. We'll see if I'm right a second time.

Last edited:
Yeah. The only console spinoffs we got this decade were Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX (which are remakes of the original Mystery Dungeon games) and New Pokémon Snap, the long awaited follow up to the cult classic N64 game Pokémon Snap. Every other Pokémon spinoff released in the 2020s has been a mobile game, and this includes Pokémon Unite, which got a Switch port.
Also the forgotten Detective Pikachu Returns. I think the movie is the only thing people remember about Detective Pikachu.

I'm confident we will be getting a Johto game, Unova is too obvious and they've already done a fair bit of Unova content with SV. I could see Unova featuring more in another batch of SV DLC, for sure, but I think if we do get a main series game in 2024, it'll be Johto. This is the exact scenario right before LGPE's launch, where everyone swore up and down we were gonna cap off the 3DS with Sinnoh or start the Switch with Sinnoh, and well, we got LGPE instead, because 95% of the Pokemon community forgot that Gen 3 had two regions that needed to be remade, not just one. The remake after ORAS was LGPE, then we went into Gen 4 with BDSP, we still have Johto though, which is next up for a remake.

Is they REALLY wanted to get ambitious with it, I could see them splitting the work with ILCA and giving us both. Have ILCA do their faithful remake thing on one of the two regions, and have Game Freak do a Legends-style or some other sort of game with the other, so for example, ILCA does Johto remakes, and Game Freak does Legends: Original Dragon. That sort of arrangement.

In any event, I'll call my shot now while I have the chance. I called Kanto remakes in 2018, I'm calling Johto remakes for 2024. We'll see if I'm right a second time.
Yeah. Johto is currently the region we've gone the longest without visiting, as we haven't been there since HGSS on the original DS, which came out all the way back in 2009. For reference the time we've gone without visiting Johto is equal to the amount of time between the releases of DP and BDSP, which is 15 years. This year also just so happens to be GS's 25th anniversary.

Is they REALLY wanted to get ambitious with it, I could see them splitting the work with ILCA and giving us both. Have ILCA do their faithful remake thing on one of the two regions, and have Game Freak do a Legends-style or some other sort of game with the other, so for example, ILCA does Johto remakes, and Game Freak does Legends: Original Dragon. That sort of arrangement.
This would be so hilarious in the worst way possible. "Alright Unova fans, get hyped, we're making BW3 as a successor to Legends with bundles of new characters, Pokemon, locations and styles of play to explore! Oh and uh, Johtobros get a worse version of the game they played in 2009 I guess lol lol lmao lol"

This would be so hilarious in the worst way possible. "Alright Unova fans, get hyped, we're making BW3 as a successor to Legends with bundles of new characters, Pokemon, locations and styles of play to explore! Oh and uh, Johtobros get a worse version of the game they played in 2009 I guess lol lol lmao lol"

Yeah, I don't think they'll mix and match regions for this reason. It won't feel fair and different parts of the fanbase might want different styles of games for different reasons. What if you want a faithful remake of Unova? Or a Legends style take on Johto? You're pretty much getting screwed here. If they just stick to one region it won't feel as much like one region or style is getting cheated.

I think the only way we got both Johto and Unova is if Unova gets a new game and Johto gets an NSO port. Other than that, they're probably going to pick one and save the other for another time.

Making an Unova Legends game and a Johto remake at the same time would be the most nonsensical thing they could do. Unova and Johto have nothing to do with each other, at least BDSP was a remake of a game that is in the same region of the Legends game released around the same time.

Also after BDSP i don't want ILCA attempting to remake anything honestly. I don't want Generation 5 fans to get the same mediocre treatment Generation 4 fans got with BDSP.

Also after BDSP i don't want ILCA attempting to remake anything honestly. I don't want Generation 5 fans to get the same mediocre treatment Generation 4 fans got with BDSP.
They should just skip to remaking Kalos; there's no enhanced version to cut features from so there's no Emerald or Platinum to unfavourably compare them to.:ayeaye:

They should just skip to remaking Kalos; there's no enhanced version to cut features from so there's no Emerald or Platinum to unfavourably compare them to.:ayeaye:
The solution for Kalos remakes is simple, just LITERALLY make Z. Evidence suggests a Z was planned and possibly even in early development for a 2015 release but was scrapped to focus more on SM. Features that would've been in Z, like Ash-Greninja and the Zygarde Cube sidequest were instead shoehorned into SM, they clearly had some sort of Z game in the works. If they just gave us that, it would be redemption for the wasted potential.

Making an Unova Legends game and a Johto remake at the same time would be the most nonsensical thing they could do. Unova and Johto have nothing to do with each other, at least BDSP was a remake of a game that is in the same region of the Legends game released around the same time.

I doubt they'd make another game like BDSP given the backlash. But even so, BDSP weren't terrible, they just looked bad, if they had instead made Sinnoh in the same engine as LGPE, the game would be much more well-received, it was a graphical issue primarily. If Game Freak gave ILCA complete access to LGPE to build Johto remakes off of, nobody would complain. Obviously ditch the Go-inspired aspects and add back in Abilities, Held Items, etc. Basically just make it BDSP but with LGPE's graphical engine and artwork. I promise you a HGSS/Crystal remake in the LGPE style with BDSP mechanics would be a hit.

Back
Top Bottom