• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gay Marriage Legalized by Top U.S. Court in Landmark Ruling!

Words can't express how happy I am about this. The battle may be far from over but every victory counts, and this was a very important one. May this influence other countries and set a precedent for full equality for all sexualities and gender identities.

I was made for love!
Key_Heart.png

Great news. I was very proud of Ireland for doing this recently and now the USA too. It's nice to hear some positive progress when so many countries are taking political steps backwards.

[tweet]614632087262400512[/tweet]

And all it took was a hurricane of protests, some very cold reception from bigots, an extremely toxic subject to debate over which led to an almighty flame war, and the eventual bugging to finally get the proposition to the Supreme Court.

Something to chew on: At the beginning of 2003, same-sex marriage wasn't legal in any state. Here we are only twelve years later. Amazing.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife

Now that we've taken over America, there's nothing stopping us from taking over the world!!!!

As a resident of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the United States of America, I am truly happy for those across our country who finally have access to same rights as everyone else. This declaration may come as a surprise since I tend to favor many positions on the political right, but I believe equality in the eyes of the law is essential. Upholding the separation of church and state in our country is truly important, along with affirming that no citizens within our borders feel deprived of their rights. It's a shame to see many of my colleagues, who are typically champions of freedom, dismayed by the outcome. As an advocate of personal liberty, I believe it's simply inconsistent to favor both looser gun restrictions while supporting bans on gay marriage.

Does this mean Nintendo can make same-sex relationships possible in a future Tomodachi game like they promised?

Even though this news doesn't affect me in any way, I'm so happy about it! I've never known any better that gay marriage is just called "marriage". Who'd have thought that 14 years after my country was the first country to allow gay marriage one of the most unlikely countries to ever fully accept gay marriage now succeeded in making it happen? That's just great, congrats America :)

I'm very pleased too. It isn't about marriage really, it's about recognising the rights of individuals in the legal sense.

I'm a little surprised it happened TBH, but i guess the Alabama law struggling to change not long ago helped tip the scales.

I'm also surprised it took the UK so long to get there, but before last year we had civil partnerships - a sort of frontrunner to marriage (which are still the only legal partnerships in Northern Ireland despite favourable votes).

It would be good if this has the domino effect we all are hoping for.

Finally! This is wonderful! Everyone should have the basic right to marry the loved ones, regardless of gender.
And no one with different gender identity of their biological should be excluded from society due to lack of recognition and respect. This is a huge step towards a more egalitarian society.

I'm glad that same-sex marriage has been legalized, should've been done a long time ago, but it's finally here!

I'm kinda meh on this. For me, any US state worth living in would have already legalized it. Why would I want to live in Ohio when the people there only legalized it reluctantly after 12 years and the supreme court told them there was no more getting out of it? Doesn't sound like I would be accepted there anyway.

It's great for the people living in those states who want to stay there for their various reasons, but for me it's too little too late.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom