• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen I VC Discussion Thread

Has anyone had any success with trading yet? I'm unable to get my 3DSs to connect.

I have Red on one 3DS and Yellow on another. I went to the Pokemon Center on Yellow and initiated the trade. I chose "Invite a Partner." I have my Red at the same place, but Yellow never finds it. (Just says "Looking for a partner..." indefinitely.) Tried to switch them around (Initiate from Red) but still no luck.

WiFi settings are fine. Anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone had any success with trading yet? I'm unable to get my 3DSs to connect.

I have Red on one 3DS and Yellow on another. I went to the Pokemon Center on Yellow and initiated the trade. I chose "Invite a Partner." I have my Red at the same place, but Yellow never finds it. (Just says "Looking for a partner..." indefinitely.) Tried to switch them around (Initiate from Red) but still no luck.

WiFi settings are fine. Anyone have any ideas?
Try selecting "Invite a Partner" on one and "Accept an Invitation" on the other. Then just follow the prompts and you should be good to go. The Game Link Cable replication works like wonders, and it'd be awesome if more VC titles on 3DS had this feature. :LOL:

I've just beaten the Elite 4 and caught the legendary Pokemon in Red. I did it much faster than in Blue: 24 hours. Agatha wasn't as difficult thanks to a few earthquakes and psychics. Lorelei's Lapras was particularly challenging, however. I had to teach my Snorlax thunder bolt to take care of her team. Arcanine was used once to faint my rival's Venusaur. All the birds were easy to catch (hint: put them to sleep, I used my Jynx's Lovely Kiss, paralysis just isn't enough). And again I used my MB on Mewtwo.

Well, going through Kanto again was fun. Just like Blue, I'm not done. I'll probably start Yellow soon.

Aesop - 47 Cybele - 48 Eupalinos - 49
Sirius - 48 Hypnos - 49 LOLA - 49

Made it to Silph Co. today, lots of level ups n junk. Most importantly, I now have both of my favourite Pokemon in my party (Nidoking and Poliwhirl)
I'm waiting until after Poliwhirl has learned his important moves to evolve him, but I already have the stone ready to go!

Also, my copy of Pokemon Blue showed up today (amazon.co.jp got all of the limited physical Gen I VC releases in stock) So I'll be doing that shortly!

After Blue is done, I'll get yellow (to play) and red (to round out the collection)

woo! progress!

I've already gotten my seventh badge in Red and I just caught Zapdos. Zapdos was insanely hard to capture back in the day. I remember my brother even telling me that it was impossible to capture Zapdos without the Master Ball, but putting it to sleep and getting its HP low enough to capture it with an Ultra Ball after a couple of times. Articuno was also pretty easy to capture compared to how it was when I first played these games.

Here's my Red team:

Charizard Level 60
Raichu Level 43
Nidoking Level 34
Hypno Level 40
Marowak Level 33
Vaporeon Level 39

I'll probably raise my Marowack and Nidoking up a few levels before facing Giovanni. A part of me is still tempted on getting another Pokemon in place of Nidoking due to the whole half of my team being weak to water, but it's kind of late in the game to start training a new team member and most of the Pokemon I'd be interested in raising aren't available in Red anyway. I should also look over what TMs I have to help with their move sets, as well as give more space in my PC to store more items.

I completed Blue last week. It was so much fun! Challenging in places, but fun.

But...I'm debating Red & Yellow, now. I'm seriously considering getting Red as it has Pokemon like Arbok.

I am almost done with Red! just need to beat the E4 and the champ then moving on to Blue. here's my team: level 60 Charizard, level 56 Grayados, level 54 Rhydon, level 54 Raichu, level 55 Pidgeot and Cloyster it took a long-ass time to reach those levels oh my goodness:LOL:

I just beat the E4 this morning! My strongest pokemon was Poliwrath at lv. 52, which frankly I'm surprised I won with my teams avg. lv. being 47.

So, Pokemon Green is complete! I'll probably play around in the end game a bit. Perhaps I'll catch the three legendary birds and mewtwo, but I think I'm going to probably jump right into Blue now. One goal with Blue is to use pokemon I wouldn't typically use (with the exception of Charizard and Kadabra, my current team in Green is fairly typical for me). But, as an added challenge, I think I'm going to try and catch as many pokemon in the game as possible (I won't be able to get them all because I don't know anyone else with the JP versions of these games, and I don't know if cross region trading is a thing)

I just beat the E4 this morning! My strongest pokemon was Poliwrath at lv. 52, which frankly I'm surprised I won with my teams avg. lv. being 47.

So, Pokemon Green is complete! I'll probably play around in the end game a bit. Perhaps I'll catch the three legendary birds and mewtwo, but I think I'm going to probably jump right into Blue now. One goal with Blue is to use pokemon I wouldn't typically use (with the exception of Charizard and Kadabra, my current team in Green is fairly typical for me). But, as an added challenge, I think I'm going to try and catch as many pokemon in the game as possible (I won't be able to get them all because I don't know anyone else with the JP versions of these games, and I don't know if cross region trading is a thing)
Red is done and I'm moving to Blue! BTW my sister from England actually has been to Japan since January and got her self some JP Pokémon games over there.

I'm up to two Badges on Yellow now and I finally got my freshly bough Magikarp to evolve last night. I've been doing quite a bit of grinding lately and switching up my team, as I don't want to leave Cerulean City just yet. I really want to try and pull the Mew glitch; I've never done it before but I am terrified that I will screw it up. The last thing I want to do is blow this opportunity. (Hey, a low level Mew for my team? Yes please.)

Once I memorize the crap out of the steps of the Nugget Bridge glitch, I'll go forward... I hope.

I'm up to two Badges on Yellow now and I finally got my freshly bough Magikarp to evolve last night. I've been doing quite a bit of grinding lately and switching up my team, as I don't want to leave Cerulean City just yet. I really want to try and pull the Mew glitch; I've never done it before but I am terrified that I will screw it up. The last thing I want to do is blow this opportunity. (Hey, a low level Mew for my team? Yes please.)

Once I memorize the crap out of the steps of the Nugget Bridge glitch, I'll go forward... I hope.

Remember to save right before starting, not in the middle of the sequence. Also, you can totally hit up the Pokemon Center to heal/switch party members in the middle of the sequence without breaking anything.

On Red I restarted for some reason, but I gained more than what I had lost! I got to Vermillion City and my starter is now a level 36 Charizard.

I'm tempted to get a Japanese 2DS with Pocket Monsters Green along with Pocket Monsters Red OR Blue., but... I dunno. I'll save that for sometime in the future. I mostly just want Green. xD

Last edited:
On Red I restarted for some reason, but I gained more than what I had lost! I got to Vermillion City and my starter is now a level 36 Charizard.

I'm tempted to get a Japanese 2DS with Pocket Monsters Green along with Pocket Monsters Red OR Blue., but... I dunno. I'll save that for sometime in the future. I mostly just want Green. xD

just charizard? did you at least have someone else along to fight misty? if not, impressive!

just charizard? did you at least have someone else along to fight misty? if not, impressive!

Charmeleon took out Staryu and I actually had two Oddish and a Spearow to help me defeat Starmie. All three weren't really trained, so they fainted and I let Charmeleon do the rest after that. It evolved into Charizard while I was in Vermillion City.

Charmeleon took out Staryu and I actually had two Oddish and a Spearow to help me defeat Starmie. All three weren't really trained, so they fainted and I let Charmeleon do the rest after that. It evolved into Charizard while I was in Vermillion City.

you know I had forgotten Charizard doesn't learn any decent fire moves until way later in the game. spamming 'ember' on Erika was a ton of fun....

I decided to add Ekans to my team before I fight Lt. Surge. Training it up now.

My living Pokedex on Blue is at 57/150 right now.

you know I had forgotten Charizard doesn't learn any decent fire moves until way later in the game. spamming 'ember' on Erika was a ton of fun....

That's one thing I hate about Generation 1 movesets...

Last edited:
Well, I defeated the Elite 4 in Red with this team:

Charizard Level 67
Raichu Level 46
Nidoking Level 4o
Hypno Level 42
Marowak Level 42
Vaporeon Level 42

It was a bit of a challenge at first due to the Water types and I forgot that Ice type moves are effective on Charizard during this generation too, but I was able to beat them in on my first try. I even caught Mewtwo. I was going to use my Master Ball, but I was able to catch it with an Ultra Ball, so that was neat. It only took me twenty-five hours to get to that point of the game, although I don't know how long it took me to reach that point back in the day.

I'm not sure if I'll try to level up my team so more. There aren't too many good places for level grinding and it is way more tedious to do so here than in the other games, so I might just save on that when I transfer them to Sun/Moon. A part of me is still tempted on raising a Dratini to take the Nidoking's place on my team, but again, level grinding is tedious in this generation and I've already beaten the game with these Pokemon anyway. I'll probably go work on my Blue team some more since I'm heading towards the fifth Gym there. After I beat that game, I'll probably wait a bit before getting Yellow just because I like getting all of the main series games. Plus, I can experience the first generation with slightly better movesets for some of the Pokemon.

It has been fun playing through the original Red again. The games definitely show their age and there are a lot of features from the current games that I miss here, but it has been full of nostalgic fun. I never thought that I'd get a chance to play these games again. It would be interesting to hear how people who weren't fans when these games were originally release feel about them. They are more playable than I thought they would be, but I'm sure a good chuck of that comes from nostalgia and I don't know how fans who got into the games from one of the later generations would feel about them.

I finally beat the E4 with this team
Pikachu lv 52
Venusaur lv 51
Blastoise lv 49
Charizard lv 49
Mew lv 50
Sanslash lv 46

Beating the E4 was an absolute nightmare. I was badly underleveled. I barely 3 or 4HKOed the enemies but they OHKO'ed me back. I had to buy tons and tons of revives/potions. Lance was a piece of cake because of Ice beam freezing his Dragonite, though.

I can't say I enjoyed this. I wasn't even going to buy this game, but the connectivity with SunMoon was too good to pass. There are some crazy movesets like No Guard Fissure Machamp, Self-Destruct/Explosion Snorlax etc etc I only got this so I can transfer these mons to the newest games. Other than that, I hated the terrible movesets, broken dynamics, awful speed, OP gargabe (seriously, I can't get over how OP Pidgey and Ratatta are in this). I never want to play Gen I games again.

I can't say I enjoyed this. I wasn't even going to buy this game, but the connectivity with SunMoon was too good to pass. There are some crazy movesets like No Guard Fissure Machamp, Self-Destruct/Explosion Snorlax etc etc I only got this so I can transfer these mons to the newest games

What are these "etc etc" that you mention? I'm curious cause I like collecting all sorts of pokemon and if there are "crazy movesets" then I want them. ^o__o^;; ALL OF THEM.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom