• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V Disapointment

Agreed with no Safari Zone. From what I've played, there's enough annoyance with rustling grass and fishing spots to want to have even more with a Safari Zone. I just had my first bad experience with that while working sluggishly to complete the Pokédex. Finding a Pansage took way too long. Then there's every other rare Pokémon exclusive to those spots...

Good thing I'll only have to bother with the 5th Gen critters, though the Poké Transfer is nearly as annoying. But like most things, it only takes some getting used to.

We had Musharna's overworld sprite move sideways and we had plenty of OW sprites of some Gen V Pokemon. So i hope they do include Pokemon walking behind feature.

I meant to say that in HGSS, when you sent out your partner Pokemon, the Pokemon isn't sent out from the Pokeball, but instead, they look like they are moving from the side of the screen to their battle spot during battle. In BW, the battles are in 3D, and I imagine that the sprite moving from near to far to the battle spot will look weird, as not every Pokemon walks in their back sprite or jump.

Thanks for reading.

I do not understand at all why there is no Safari Zone. With the Game Corner, I wasn't so surprised but why is there no Safari Zone?

White Forest is supposed to be the replacement for the Safari Zone. Except it's version exclusive. And also White Forest and Black City both suck, and are possibly the worst new features in the Gen V games.

I meant to say that in HGSS, when you sent out your partner Pokemon, the Pokemon isn't sent out from the Pokeball, but instead, they look like they are moving from the side of the screen to their battle spot during battle. In BW, the battles are in 3D, and I imagine that the sprite moving from near to far to the battle spot will look weird, as not every Pokemon walks in their back sprite or jump.
They could just make the "base" static Sprite move into the battlefield, though I agree. It would disrupt the overall flow and remove the epic Poké Ball throw animation we have now. It wouldn't be too bad (The throw can become a "point a finger" animation), but yep. I'm rather happy with what we have now.

It's not like that feature contributed anything at all anyway. No gameplay improvements, that's for sure, and minimal, almost negligible plot contributions. For claims that it made Pokémon feel more "alive"... Natures did that way better. Also, imagination. I don't need a game to hold my hand and make me experience something as friendship with my Pokémon in the only rigid way it knows how to. Plus, I don't need the game forcing me to adapt to this feature and always force me to have a Pokémon out. Unless they actually make it optional, I don't miss it, and I sure as hell don't want to see it back if it's forced again.

How about have the Pokemon appear already when the battle starts with the trainer behind them? They're already in the field.

Anyways, I'm not that disappointed with White Forest and Black City. Though I haven't used them much.

I miss the Walking Pokemon feature.

I do not understand at all why there is no Safari Zone. With the Game Corner, I wasn't so surprised but why is there no Safari Zone?
I miss the walking feature as well. That really made SoulSilver for me.

As for the Safari Zone, I hope it never comes back. I hate that place with the fiery passion of a million noonday desert suns. Yes, I'm still bitter over the fight to get a blasted Chansey in LeafGreen only to have the little so-and-so pop out of the stupid Safari ball slag near every time. I don't know what the slag I might do if I ran into a shiny there. Other than break my damn DS because I couldn't catch the thing, I mean. :complain:

It would be interesting to see if the third version will introduce the feature, though.
If they do reintroduce it in the third version, it would be great if they tweaked it. Like if your lead Pokemon has just been caught or doesn't know you, have it act a little wary of you. Or have it completely optional so if you didn't want to use it, you could switch it off. It's a thought.

Me, I have to admit: I am loving Gen V. I'm working with types that I've previously ignored and I'm loving them. On top of that, Gen V gave us a giant robot (Golurk). A gen that gives me a giant robot to love and adore is a winner in my book.

Agreed with no Safari Zone. From what I've played, there's enough annoyance with rustling grass and fishing spots to want to have even more with a Safari Zone. I just had my first bad experience with that while working sluggishly to complete the Pokédex. Finding a Pansage took way too long. Then there's every other rare Pokémon exclusive to those spots...

Good thing I'll only have to bother with the 5th Gen critters, though the Poké Transfer is nearly as annoying. But like most things, it only takes some getting used to.

Really? I got Audino and a Sand Rush Drilbur with no problems at all. I didn't catch Alomomola when I saw it before though, because given how many times I've seen Surf spots in some areas, I could easily find another one later. Besides, I'm probably going to train my Servine in Driftveil City where it's at anyways.

- how they crammed the eastern island with pokémon from other regions: they should have spread old pokémon all over the region, not just in a certain area.
- how the gym leaders' pokémon are underleveled compared to the player's pokémon.
- how they didn't incorporate new things to do with the gym leaders after you beat the league: for example, they could have had rematches, mini adventures (kind of like with marley, mira, and such).
- lack of triple battles: one of the biggest disappointments. they could have created a gym run by a family (mother, father, daughter for example).
- lack of rotation battles.
- lack of new poké balls.
- lack of moving sprites for trainers, gym leaders, etc.
- how they made the pokémon league some sort of wonderland: nice and creative ideas, but i don't think masters should be fought in outlandish environments; they should be fought in stadiums (like they do on the show).
- lack of version exclusive features.
- the pokémon in the party can't follow the player.
... as well as the other hg/ss features that they abandoned.

i dunno, i think the games are ok, but they could have done much better.

I wish our Pokemon could walk behind us like in HG/SS! ): I really liked that.

I did not like them not having a VS Seeker. You think if Gamefreak had enhanced graphics and 150 new pokemon they can at least include the device to rematch trainers like in D/P and HGSS

I liked/miss the safari zone.

Worst complaint? Klang and Klingklang. In evolution it gains a ... base..? Awesome

And some more-
- No VS. Seeker or gym leader rematches? Such an easy way to get money..
- No following pokemon
- Old pokemon shoved in new routes after beaten the game. Why don't the pokemon just migrate all over the country? I don't get it
- No new evolutions or pre-evoluitions
- Alomomola FAIL
- Obvious lack of pokemon overworld sprites - I'm looking at you Krokorok.

- how the gym leaders' pokémon are underleveled compared to the player's pokémon.

Really? I had the opposite experience...

I really have no complaints. I guess the walking pokemon and more animated sprites and gym rematches would be nice, but mostly these are ancillary.

Really? I got Audino and a Sand Rush Drilbur with no problems at all. I didn't catch Alomomola when I saw it before though, because given how many times I've seen Surf spots in some areas, I could easily find another one later. Besides, I'm probably going to train my Servine in Driftveil City where it's at anyways.
I mean the rarer ones, not Audino. Like the Monkeys in Pinwheel Forest. Then there's all those old Pokémon. It's pretty annoying as I can't tell if the patches appear due to time or steps. Even then, most of the time is Audino. The others are extremely rare.

OK... what? The only games that, so far, have even bothered to make a much more in-depth Version differences beyond exclusive Pokémon, lacks Version exclusive features? Even overlooking cosmetic differences like Opelucid and the 8th Gym Leader, Black City and White Forest amount to much more differences than every other previous Version in the series.

This game was fine. I for one like how there was no Safari Zone. That just means I can't get pissed off at things constantly running from me. Oh, and thank god they didn't mess with with the evolutions of the previous generation Pokemon.​

The lack of a Vs. Seeker really is a pain. I feel like GameFreak is deliberately trying to make it harder and harder to grind late game by not including it. In Platinum all my trained Pokémon average out to level 60, while in HeartGold they only average out to level 45 (my main team is only 55). I mean they did give us the Royal Unova (which makes up for the sins of the S.S. Aqua, but only barely) and Black City (but only in Black), but that's simply not the same.

- lack of triple battles: one of the biggest disappointments. they could have created a gym run by a family (mother, father, daughter for example).
- lack of rotation battles.
- how they made the pokémon league some sort of wonderland: nice and creative ideas, but i don't think masters should be fought in outlandish environments; they should be fought in stadiums (like they do on the show).

- I disagree. My pokemon usually matched the levels the whole time.
- Play White
- Play Black
- Where have you been the last 15 years? The gyms and leagues almost always have that happening in them.
- What? I'm sorry, there's a lot of features that are version exclusive.

For the underleveled thing, it depends on how many Pokemon you train. In Black, I trained 3, and I was way overleveled. In White, I trained 5, and I was about equal with them. Regardless, they were definitely far too easy to beat. Black and White felt too easy as a whole.

I wouldn't mind stadiums; they would make more sense. The Elite Four rooms did look really cool though. Aesthetics > reality as far as Pokemon games are concerned.

Black and White were definitely a step forward as far as version exclusives go. I don't really get your point there.

My biggest disappointment in this Generation would have to be the availability of highly-leveled, non-Unovan Pokemon, like Metagross and Milotic. Honestly, it's like the games are telling us, "Ha ha, you spent all that time training just to get that Pokemon and now you could just catch it~"

in the case of Metagross, it's a feat just catching it. I'm very proud of the one I caught today. They're not easy.

Well, that's largely true of a lot pokemon things. Shiny pokemon have largely become easier, though still largely tedious, to capture. With the Wifi releases, the event exclusive legendaries are more wide spread.

I suppose the difference is that sure, you can get them now, but you couldn't as easily before. Them being easier to get now is not necessarily a spit in the face of your hard work.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom