• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V Disapointment

Is it true that HGSS was developed by a different team? If it is that could be why some features in HGSS didn't make it into B/W.

That was just something I read on the internet. I don't believe it myself because I thought all the Pokemon games were made by the same people.

I find there's too much going on in the storyline, keep getting pushed around in every direction to a-button through walls of discussion.

Plasma, Cheren and Bianca's really getting a bit obnoxious.

Won't you just let me walk around and catch pokémon, thanks?
You have the entire rest of the game, and the large portion where they aren't talking to do that.

It's also not being "pushed around" when there's really only one direction to go. Even when you were forced into Pinwheel forest, you weren't required to go back to Nacrene city, you could have gone forward after the mission. Sure, they made you take the long way, but surely for a person who'd complaint was "just let me walk around and catch Pokémon", a detour through the grass shouldn't be a problem.

When they grant the requests for more triple/rotation battles, fans are going to start saying, "there are too many rotation/triple battles" :lol:

When they grant the requests for more triple/rotation battles, fans are going to start saying, "there are too many rotation/triple battles" :lol:

You're so right there. :lol: The thing about the Pokemon fandom is, no matter what happens, GF/TPCi will never be able to please everyone. I mean, these games got a perfect 40/40 score in a prestigious gaming mag, and people still find things to complain about. Its human nature to bitch about things that they wouldnt be able to do themselves even if they tried.
Id like to see anyone who complained in this thread design a better game than BW.

You're so right there. :lol: The thing about the Pokemon fandom is, no matter what happens, GF/TPCi will never be able to please everyone. I mean, these games got a perfect 40/40 score in a prestigious gaming mag, and people still find things to complain about. Its human nature to bitch about things that they wouldnt be able to do themselves even if they tried.
Id like to see anyone who complained in this thread design a better game than BW.

The thing is, we're not here claiming to be games designers. "I'd like to see you do better" isn't really a good argument - it's not our job to.

[Ahem]
Now, while I don't want any more triple/rotation battles, I can see why some people do, although I don't think they should be a forced part of the gameplay to such a length. I personally found them very irritating and somewhat confusing, but then, I did try my first at about 3am. I suppose the point is that you will indeed never please everyone, so the best medium is usually to add more for those who want them and make them avoidable for those who don't without making them seriously lose out on storyline/exp.

Here's my disappointment about Black and White (not Generation V, for me, since it's still early):

* The walking Pokemon feature was removed - This is one of the features that made HGSS shined (although, of course, it was first incorporated in Yellow), but I wondered why it was removed in BW. But I guess the reason is that it can't be handled by the size of the memory of the games; but what makes me wonder is that why they had retained their overworld sprites when encountering them on Entralink Forest.

* Nature sounds were removed - First introduced in HGSS, the one where when you're near the water, you can hear the waves of the seas; and when you're on a small windmill, you can hear it blowing the air. In BW though, when I went beside the water, I didn't hear anything water splashing, just the music, so I also wonder why they'd removed this.

* The battle field was just a plain circle with a color depending on the area - In Generation III and Generation IV, when you encounter a Pokemon on the grass, you can see the battle field with some grass; and when you encounter a Pokemon on a cave, you will see the battle field with rocks. This was removed though in BW, with just a plain green circle as a battle field in the grass, and a plain blue cirlce battle field on water. I mean, why, as they've made the battle scene so much better, why'd they remove this? This should have added to the enjoyability of the battles. (NOTE: In case you're wondering, what I'm referring to is the field that Pokemon are stepping to when in battle, not the background of the place in a battle).

* The automatic Running Shoes is removed - Again, first introduced in HGSS, this had really helped me a lot, even when I mostly using the Bicycle, this is useful for me when you're a house so that you wouldn't press the B button to run. Unfortunately, this was removed in BW.

* Black City and White Forest becoming deserted as day passes - These are the first exclusive areas in the entire series, but if you want to fully enjoy them, you have to go there and do you duties as fast as possible before it will become deserted. The one I hated here is that the only way for it to restore is by using Entralink, and it's only a wireless feature, not Wi-Fi. What GF didn't thought is that how if a player doesn't have neighbors or even friends or cousins nearby that have BW? So for them, when Black City/White Forest becomes deserted, it's deserted forever, unless they've found a stranger with a BW where you two can agree to use Entralink, of course.

* You can only experience Triple Battles and Rotational Battles a fewer times - As they have advertised heavily the creation of the Triple Battles, you can only experience them limitedly, same with the Rotational Battles.

I really hope these would be fixed on the third version (if there will have one) or the Ruby/Sapphire remakes (again, if there will have one). Overall, I'm fine on the new features and designs of the Generation V Pokemon and that there are no Generation V Pokemon that are related to Generation I-Generation IV Pokemon since these games are meant to have a "fresh" start. Feel free to criticize my disappointments on the games though, but whatever may happen, this is just my opinion, and we all have opinions regarding this. Sorry for the wrong grammars also since English is not my primary language.

Thanks! :)

Good list, but one more thing to add:

Obvious Removed Features

You know how nowadays, new FPS games ship with only 7-8 maps yet sell for $60? Because they charge you for more maps. Except with Pokemon, they charge you for a new full priced DS game (third version).

With Pokemon, you have things removed like the Battle Frontier and the VS seeker.

Its human nature to bitch about things that they wouldnt be able to do themselves even if they tried.

good idea! i'll go send letters to all those magazines which criticized albums and rated them with low scores!

... no one went around saying, "make a better album since you gave it a poor rating!!!" when allmusic rated an album three stars out of five and criticized it. no one was dumb enough to say, "haha stop bitching! i bet you can't do better!" do you want to know why no one went around saying that? do you want to know why all those magazines... allmusic, the guardian, rolling stone, didn't get told to stop "bitching" when they were criticizing the album? because although music is meant to be enjoyed, it is meant to get rated and criticized, so that the singer improves on her or his singing/the composition. black and white were meant to be enjoyed by the players, but how do you expect the designers to get better at the things they do without getting feedback? if no one gave suggestions and feedback, in other words if no one "bitched," they wouldn't be able to improve their work.

it's called criticism and you learn how to do it in grade five.

Roulette Goddess is right. If you're going to bitch about criticism in a thread designated for it in the first place... I mean, seriously?

I would have liked some new evos and prevos, but only after we got the national dex. I loved playing with new pokemon that I had never played with before, no gen had that luxury from the time you got your starter until you got the national dex (except gen 1 of course). I would have at least liked a dragon eevee to complete the originally special types.

As for all the prevo hate (here and elsewhere), prevos generally have different movesets. I'm sure most people think "just give the original the same moves" but prevos can learn a different move on the same level and it can really alter what you get in the end.

As for what really disappoints me: Black City/White Forest. I get they want you to interact with other players but I know plenty of people that have no irl friends who play Pokemon and then people like me have one but they live far enough away you don't see them often. I'm not happy about my forest full of ralts, no matter how cute they are. And this is a punishment for taking my time to enjoy the game. :/

I also don't like the lack of vs seeker and the fact I have to re-earn all the items I earned in the battle frontier.

I don't know if it's "disappointment", but I wish Heatmor could learn Flame Charge to overcome his crappy Speed stat, plus is would look awesome (imagine his muffler-like tail hellblazing while charging at you at high speed)!

* The walking Pokemon feature was removed
* The automatic Running Shoes is removed
* Black City and White Forest becoming deserted as day passes

I agree with these 3 points, and to add I was disappointed that Eevee didn't gain New Evolutions, like Seasonal Evolutions or something. I also wished that it came with a Pokewalker or could use the Pokewalker from HG/SS.

Another was that you couldn't visit the Ruined Castle of the Desert Resort back when it was whole and in it's hayday. Not an actual disappointment, but something that would have been really awesome

Late to thread but...

I initially thought I'd be disappointed to see that none of the previous Pokemons were going to be seen until the post-game.

However, in playing, because of that... it's really the first time a gen felt fresh to me.

The only real disappointment is the loss of Pokemon following you. Adding to that is that they clearly all had map sprites for them, so it kinda seems like wasted potential.

The only real disappointment is the loss of Pokemon following you. Adding to that is that they clearly all had map sprites for them, so it kinda seems like wasted potential.

They don't for a lot of the Gen V Pokemon. That's why Gen V Pokemon can't be caught in the Dream World, and why you see Krookodile EVERYWHERE.

I'd like to add two more that I forgot:

* Generation IV sprites were used instead of new sprites on most Pokemon: Black and White are the start of a new Generation, Generation V, so at least they should have made new sprites on all of them. It's just so disappointing that they are recycling sprites from Generation IV. They said that Black and White was already in production after the release of Diamond and Pearl on Japan, which was 5 years ago, so they should have a long time for them to make sprites. But at least all Generation III Pokemon's sprites nad some of the old Pokemon's sprites were new, and that makes me happy.

* Using Platinum Pokedex entries for old Pokemon: Just like the sprites, they recycled Pokedex Entries from Platinum. They should have made new entries for old Pokemon since these are the generation V games, and again, that means a new Generation; and they also have 5 years for them to think for their Pokedex entries, so they should have worked on them also.

That's all. Thanks! :)

I also think that the C-Gear is a big step down from the Pokegear from HGSS and the Poketch.

It's less the C-Gear is a step down in any form (never found Poketech very useful. Itemfinder aside, it was clutter imho) and more the C-Gear's "aim" doesn't fly too well "out here" since it seems more geared towards having others with the game around.

On the sprite thing... guys, they're animated. They're practically different in every way.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom