• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V: which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?

PiroNeko

Reaction score
Just like the tag line says, which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?

I have played Pokémon since I had the dexterity to hold a controller, however it was not until recently that I have decided to play a more technical game. I am looking to breed and raise the strongest Pokémon I possibly can!

It all starts with the Pokémon you choose at the start. So, present your arguments. Snivy, Tepig, or Oshawott?

Re: Pokemon White : which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other

I started with Oshawott.
In games, imo, the more effective eay of building a team is by coverage (as Blue says before you battle him for the Champion title: "I've assembled teams that can defeat any pokemon" or something similar). That said, Snivy is discarded, his offensive movepool is really lame in terms of coverage (aerial ace, dragon tail and that´s all, aquatail comes in B2W2). But if you'd get a Contrary Snivy as starter, then it becomes a nice option. In white I trained a snivy, but it worried me how it could battle a limited number of opponents. Samurott gets ice beam, xscissor, grass knot and night slash.

Emboar is quite slow, Samurott is more balanced stat-wise. These are my reasons for picking the otter.

Re: Pokemon White : which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other

oshawott cos it can surf. Tbh i dislike all the unova starters.

I chose Oshawott. Snivy's evolution has no legs, and grass has a trillion weakness. Tepig looks, well really really fat...

Snivy because it's a challenge. And it's fast.

But to be honest I just always end up going for the grass types.

I chose Oshawott, who is the best Unova starter because otters are one of the coolest, most awesome animals on the planet and I adore them. I thought the scalchop was a really original and clever idea, not to mention Samurott's mustache of glory.

Snivy, because it and its evolutions are beautiful. I don't think not having legs has to be a negative, it makes it unique! All though those little stubs that pass as hands make Serperior... Interesting...

It's not that I didn't like Oshawott, I chose it in Black 2, but my brother chose it. And we sort of have a thing where he, our friend and I tend to pick different starters.

I would have liked Tepig's family as well, but for some reason someone down at Nintendo decided "you know what would be a great idea! ANOTHER fire/fighting type starter!"

I appreciate your opinions, I am looking for a more..... scientific approach to this though. I plan on breeding and such using IVs and EVs so I was wondering on a more stat and evolution based scenario.

I got played with Gen 5...

When I first saw the starters, I despised Snivy for being girl-ish and Oshawott for its peculiar design. Tepig looked okay, I took Tepig.
Later on, I learned about the final forms... Damn, I said, I am going with Oshawott in Grey, Samurott rocks!

Except that BW2 came instead of Grey, and the trailer had a canon team of Emboar, Arcanine and Lucario... I had to go with Emboar again...

Now, I have all three because of trades, yet I prefer Oshawott the most, even though I got twice with Tepig...

Oshawott, because there aren't that many Water-types available to you until you you can get Surf. In fact, I believe that Panpour is the only one.

I went with Snivy because I like grass types and it looked the coolest but it probably isn't the best one, loses to fire and the water guy learns X-Scissor and Ice Beam etc to kill it.

Snivy in Black version... which I regretted. A lot.

Oshawott in Black2. Very useful, Surf, Ice Beam, and even X-scissor... it learns pretty much a lot of stuff so of course, most useful

I chose snivy originally. Thought it looked quite snaky and interesting, and I also seem to have an unexplained habit for choosing grass starters. Odd. Anyway, I wasn't really expecting that much, but I preferred it to the others so I picked snivy. I was pleasantly surprised by his stylish final evolution, as well as his unusual but neat stats and excellent performance in battle. I'm not used to starters being especially powerful, but he was a nice exception.

Later, I played two games on Black 2, trying out oshawott and tepig respectively. I'd seen their full evolutions this time, and I didn't mind samurott and I didn't really like emboar, but I figured I'd give them it a go. I have to say I was rather underwhelmed by their battle performance. Both of them seemed to be too slow to reliably outspeed anything and too fragile to take any hits. Emboar was okay once fully evolved, but samurott never really got his act together. Shame.

Took Oshawott since it seems less outclassed by other options as the other two. Palpitoad gives Dewott stiff competition thanks to it's better level up moves and type but it falls behind a bit late game since Seismitoad is much weaker than Samurott. If anything else Oshawott makes a good HM mule and utility since it can get false swipe.

Through trading w/ my flatmate and resetting the game i got all three starters, eliminating the need to choose. Serperior definitely has the weakest movepool of the fully evolved forms, but its speed and access to giga drain compensates for this. I don't know why some people have suggested X-scissor for Samurott since it can also learn megahorn with use of a heart scale. Grass knot is also better suited to Emboar. Heat crash for the lighter opponents, grass knot for the heavier (and all three types SE against fire are weak to grass).

Doing this also got me all the element monkeys who are not much more than field-move slaves, but useful nonetheless. (I play white 1, FYI)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom