• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black/White launched on the most successful handhled of all time, not a still faltering 3DS like XY. ORAS is much more telling that the series can pull those numbers again, as long as the handheld is successful.As for the amount of content, I am just giving an example for gen 6 as is. Going forward on the franchise, regions that are essentially the size of two normal ones, or at least near it, with two batches is feasiblein my eyes. As for the remakes, why would you expext new Pokemon in a region with a full Pokedex?

Black/White launched on the most successful handhled of all time, not a still faltering 3DS like XY.
The 3DS isn't faltering and Game Freak have no way of knowing that the NX will fare better, which you seem to be taking for granted by assuming that they're going to release Generation VII very early in its lifetime and support it for 6 years.

As for the remakes, why would you expext new Pokemon in a region with a full Pokedex?
If Kalos' 72 Pokémon and 28 Mega Evolutions merit an expansion in both departments, why not Sinnoh's 78 Pokémon and 29 cross-generational relatives? It's a very slippery slope.

I think an expansion to Kalos that's similar to what Orre and Unova got would be nice. And as much as I think it's unlikely for a Gen 6.5, I'm still open to the idea of it. If Game Freak rolls with it, awesome. If Game Freak doesn't roll with it, that's awesome too. All I would like is a revamp of Kalos without any Kanto being shoved down our throats. And before anybody says "well, just don't buy the game", don't even try it. Kalos should have a right to shine as it's very own and unique region without having any Kanto throwbacks at every single turn.

I think it would be better if Gen VI were expanded through a game like Colo/XD rather than sticking to Kalos or doing a new region + Pokemon and labeling it Gen 6.5. I think one of the reasons Digimon didn't work out as well as Pokemon game-wise is that there didn't seem to be a clear distinction of when new monsters were being added.

I don't see why Game Freak shouldn't at least have some scenario writers involved in a Wii U game (or their programmers in general since Nintendo seems to be planning on moving towards a more cross-platform style of gaming with the NX)

Which is why I think South Kalos, with a central feature like a mountain range formed by an event legendary, A mediterranean style coastal area, with ties to a Greece equivalent through Corsica, and a more mythological air surrounding it is something that should happen. Kalos has its fair sharr sure, but stuff like the tower of mastery, Shabbaneau Palace and Geosenge add to a more historocal setting then a mythological. I don't mind the idea of a region with history, but the air of mystery and the fantastical kinda felt put aside to give way for the scientific and realistic. Pokemon kinda went with Sci-Fi this gen more then Fantasy, and I dunno if I fully agree with it. Gen 5 at least had the original dragon mythos and the two kings. This gen had a giant cannon and the use of nature to further advance technology and use its power for scientific purposes

A Wii U RPG could be like Ranger and XD, introducing next-Gen Pokemon without being in the next generation. It could serve two purposes:

1) A Wii U RPG could serve as a 20th anniversary game in Winter 2016

2) Act as a gateway to a Gen VII game (much like Ranger was advertised as being) that would be released in fall 2016

I think this would be a nice way to bridge the gap, and if the Wii U game can be updated/has DLC capabilities, then it can also serve as a Stadium game of sorts for both Gen VI and VII.

Any sort of console game serving as a bridge to gen 7 will doubtfully be on Wii U, but I guess it could work. Stadium like games seem pointless now, with the jump to 3D. I mean, besides graphics, we already have stadium battles,and they are online to boot. A spin off RPG would be nice sure, but I dunno if they would be willing to bridge gensthat way, especially with the Wii U of all things.

Any sort of console game serving as a bridge to gen 7 will doubtfully be on Wii U, but I guess it could work. Stadium like games seem pointless now, with the jump to 3D. I mean, besides graphics, we already have stadium battles,and they are online to boot. A spin off RPG would be nice sure, but I dunno if they would be willing to bridge gensthat way, especially with the Wii U of all things.
I mentioned Colo/XD for a reason. They had an RPG and Stadium function. The difference here is that a person would be able to battle against Gen VII Pokemon via Wifi even if they only had Gen VI games. Cross-generational battles is something we didn't have since GSC.

I'm guessing your reasoning for not wanting the Wii U is because its not successful--its kind of interesting how this point is used depending on what you want. People used the opposite rationale for Gen V and the (then) faltering 3DS.

If Game Freak backs the marketing and makes it out to be related to the main series games rather than just another spin-off, the game will sell well regardless of what console its on. Game Freak has shown that to be true with all main-series games.

Last edited:
Since Genius Sonority hasn't released another Stadium-esque game since Battle Revolution, I've pretty much lost all hope of us getting any more home console RPG's for Pokémon. I would really like one, but yeah...

Also I don't think Game Freak care about rounding up to exactly 100 new Pokemon (especially when it's adding 28 of which 9 are supposedly starters - seems pointless). Then again, I don't buy the Gen 6.5 idea at all. Seeing is believing and I won't believe they'll do a proper .5 gen until I see it happen.

Well in theory if they were going to expand the dex, they'd probably create a 4th subdex, the Southern Kalos Dex, and redistribute everything to fit into the 4 subdexes. As for the numbers, they should probably shoot for a total dex size of 500 with 125 in each dex, so they should have around 50 new Pokemon. Now unlike the rumor I don't think we'll have new starters, I think it'll just be a bunch of regular Pokemon and a couple of legendaries (maybe a legendary trio and one more event Pokemon), so they should have plenty of room for at least 1 new family for each type.

Since Genius Sonority hasn't released another Stadium-esque game since Battle Revolution, I've pretty much lost all hope of us getting any more home console RPG's for Pokémon. I would really like one, but yeah...

GS was a subsidiary owned by Nintendo and The Pokemon Company. If they need another game made, they could license to another third party developer (which is what TPC is supposed to handle) or form a new subsidiary for that purpose. Metroid: Other M was licensed to a different studio than the one that made the Metroid Prime trilogy, for example. The Smash Brothers franchise also moved from Hal Labs (Smash, Melee) to Namco Bandai (Smash 4)

They also need to get more mileage out of the game engine they had to build from the ground up for X and Y. Whether it's gen 7 or gen 6.5 it needs to use that engine they probably lost a lot of money making that thing.

I'm guessing your reasoning for not wanting the Wii U is because its not successful--its kind of interesting how this point is used depending on what you want. People used the opposite rationale for Gen V and the (then) faltering 3DS.
i mean, lowkey i'm not all that interested in paying for a $300+ console just for Pokemon (and i suppose Smash Bros). but that's also just me.

i mean, lowkey i'm not all that interested in paying for a $300+ console just for Pokemon (and i suppose Smash Bros). but that's also just me.

From Nintendo's perspective, there are people who would do that, especially if its marketed as part of the main series, and then justify their purchase by buying other games.

They also need to get more mileage out of the game engine they had to build from the ground up for X and Y. Whether it's gen 7 or gen 6.5 it needs to use that engine they probably lost a lot of money making that thing.

I'm sure they already recouped the cost, and they would have not made any money had they used DS-level graphics (by that, I mean DS-level graphics for Pokemon, because other games have pulled off way better on the DS that I'm sure we would have considered "passable" for a 3DS Pokemon game)

i.imgur.com/8TD3u0a.png

I have been following on pre-release information of main series pokemon games for around 5 years and i can't recall a single time where 4chan has leaked something that was actually real. That picture just screams fake all over it.

From Nintendo's perspective, there are people who would do that, especially if its marketed as part of the main series, and then justify their purchase by buying other games.

I'm sure they already recouped the cost, and they would have not made any money had they used DS-level graphics (by that, I mean DS-level graphics for Pokemon, because other games have pulled off way better on the DS that I'm sure we would have considered "passable" for a 3DS Pokemon game)
I mean I guess we don’t really have the internal numbers so neither of us can say for sure. I just don't see them building anouther engine from the ground up for a Wii U Pokemon game when they have a perfectly usable engine for anouther 3ds game.

with ties to a Greece equivalent through Corsica

Corsica is a French island but I agree with your South Kalos/Meditteranean region. That would be my preferred theme for the next instalment of Kalos, anyway. I think any Greece-inspired areas would make the region disjointed, as France and Greece are very, very different countries (Europe being arguably the most culturally and architecturally diverse continent over a relatively small land mass). However, Meditteranean influence would work extremely well in my opinion. Starting off in a sunny, seaside town would be such a departure from previous games. There could be a very wealthy city inspired by Monte Carlo, with lots of yachts in the port (where there could be another Poke-cruise ship that would take us to a post-game area or a gym (nod to Dewford). The historically more working class, industrial Marseille could be the inspiration for another larger town/city and could be home to the biggest 'dungeon' ... a factory of some sort, manufacturing *insert evil team equipment here*

Although a move away from the usual evil team scenario would be MORE than welcome. I won't get my hopes up for that one, though lol.

GS was a subsidiary owned by Nintendo and The Pokemon Company. If they need another game made, they could license to another third party developer (which is what TPC is supposed to handle) or form a new subsidiary for that purpose. Metroid: Other M was licensed to a different studio than the one that made the Metroid Prime trilogy, for example. The Smash Brothers franchise also moved from Hal Labs (Smash, Melee) to Namco Bandai (Smash 4)

But isn't it TPCi that decides what gets made and what doesn't when it comes to Pokemon spin-offs? If that's the case, then them not releasing a Stadium-type of game in almost 9 years tells me that TPCi isn't interested in those kinds of games anymore. Hence why I lost hope in getting another game like them.

Well, what I have been noticed with Pokemon is that the odd gens are usually new startovers, where they introduce a large batch of new Pokemon with little to none of them being related to past gens, the even gens are the reconciliation gens, where there are smaller number of new Pokemon, and the focus is to improve or make connection with past gens. So I think gen 7 is going to have a heavy amount of new Pokemon.

Well, what I have been noticed with Pokemon is that the odd gens are usually new startovers, where they introduce a large batch of new Pokemon with little to none of them being related to past gens, the even gens are the reconciliation gens, where there are smaller number of new Pokemon, and the focus is to improve or make connection with past gens. So I think gen 7 is going to have a heavy amount of new Pokemon.

That was the pattern, yes. But then the 6th generation came and only one pokemon was connected to an old pokenon sylveon if you don't count megas as separate new Pokémon which is another discussion. I thought before Mega evolution was introduced that this generation would be like Sinnoh with loads of cross-generational evolutions. I was amazed to see a new evolution for mawile, absol, and banette, but then i saw Mega lucario, blaziken, and ampharos and realized that wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom