• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

I think 18 is a bit much. Maybe 8 at the most but 18 is too many in my opinion.

I think Sophocles will be located in the observatory of the "UlaUla Island". In the vídeo you can fairly ser some kind of ceiling full of stars.

I think Sophocles will be located in the observatory of the "UlaUla Island". In the vídeo you can fairly ser some kind of ceiling full of stars.
That's a very vague assumption. I don't see why Sophocles would be on a separate island as the other three who are all on Akala Island.

I'm pretty sure he's in the lighthouse on Akala Island, or that seems to be the common assumption.

I'm pretty sure he's in the lighthouse on Akala Island, or that seems to be the common assumption.
Yes, I mentioned that in the Island Trials thread. But one thing is for sure, he is definitely on Akala Island. So in September they'll reveal Ula'Ula Island's captains, October will be Poni Island's captains and November will be Mele Island's captains.

The four trial captains shown so far could all, maybe Sophocles, linked to the second island, Akala. 16 is for all the types bar Poison and Dark. It has been rumored that the Poison Z-Crystal you obtain from Plumeria and the Dark Z-Crystal from Guzma.
and i don't necessarily disagree with the idea that there'll be 18 Totems (or perhaps 16 Totems with 2 Z-Crystals from Skull), i just don't think there'll be 16-18 of them tied to Trials. i think what's more likely is that there's 6-12 Trials that are in the main campaign and then a handful of them as optional content.

i mean, hell, look at what we know for Melemele: you fight Hau a second time at levels 7-8; Totem-Gumshoos is fought at around 15; you then fight Hala to proceed to the next island where what is perhaps the first Totem, Lurantis, is fought at level 23. throw in a couple of Skull encounters (the first one that occurs nearby the Pokemon Center that's obscured by the waterfall area as well as the harbor area), and you're really running out of levels to smash in three more Trials, let alone locations to put them in. i could see maybe a second trial easily, but a third or fourth is really pushing it.

Last edited:
and i don't necessarily disagree with the idea that they'll be 18 Totems (or perhaps 16 Totems with 2 Z-Crystals from Skull), i just don't think there'll be 16-18 of them tied to Trials. i think what's more likely is that there's 6-12 Trials that are in the main campaign and then a handful of them as optional content.

i mean, hell, look at what we know for Melemele: you fight Hau a second time at levels 7-8; Totem-Gumshoos is fought at around 15; you then fight Hala to proceed to the next island where what is perhaps the first Totem, Lurantis, is fought at level 23. throw in a couple of Skull encounters (the first one that occurs nearby the Pokemon Center that's obscured by the waterfall area as well as the harbor area), and you're really running out of levels to smash in three more Trials, let alone locations to put them in. i could see maybe a second trial easily, but a third or fourth is really pushing it.

By the sounds of that, it almost seems like leveling has been slowed down.

I think 18 is a bit much. Maybe 8 at the most but 18 is too many in my opinion.

I'd be happy with eighteen myself because that would mean that there's a lot of content in just the main storyline alone. That would help to make the lack of Gyms less upsetting for some fans given that it's even more than what we got in the second generation of games. Although, Gyms being replaced with the Island Trials was met with more praise than I expected, so more people were tired of the Gym format than I thought there were, but it would still provide more opportunities for battles than just eight trials would. It could also help to make the Island Trials feel more unique and less like the Alola version of Gym battles if there was more than eight. Four trials per island would be good, but making it eighteen in total would also work.

I honestly don't see how it would be explained that you can gain some z-crystals from totems and others from the overwold ina logical way. Totem Pokemon have the same aura you see when a z-crystal activates or is close enough to it, that there could be a connection between obtaining the crystal and why they grow in size and power.

As for the level curve, remember that there is the gen 5 scaling for exp gain. Then again if you look at the amount of areas you traverse compared to Unova, by the time you teach Guzma on Poni/Ula Ula, the exp scaling of gen 5 wouldn't be enougb to explain such a low level, and neither could it logically work, when thinking about it further.

that's a bit of a circular conclusion though, don't you think?
Well it just seems like a lot of in-game progress without a lot of leveling, that's all. As f they're slowing down leveling to fit more game length and content.

Do the levels in the trailers really matter though? The game isn't complete yet. What we see could just be developer shenanigans and nothing more. It's possible the actual battles with Hala, Guzma, etc. could be at higher levels.

Do the levels in the trailers really matter though? The game isn't complete yet. What we see could just be developer shenanigans and nothing more. It's possible the actual battles with Hala, Guzma, etc. could be at higher levels.
That's a strong possibility.

Someone should check whether whether in previous trailers the levels were identical with the actual level in the game.

I for one have always hoped for a slow leveling up system as long as there is sufficent content to justify a dramatic change like that, but as of late GF seems content with shorter narratives which is is unfortunate. That type of scaling plus some darker story maybe just for adults would be amazing, but that will probably never happen because I realize as an adult l'm no longer their main targeted audience. And that's alright.

plus some darker story maybe just for adults would be amazing, but that will probably never happen because I realize as an adult l'm no longer their main targeted audience.

Yes, you can pretty much rely on the eternal absence of any piece of Pokémon media that is "just for adults."

However, this does not mean that there cannot be a "darker" story. Darker story elements are not exclusive to "adult" media (the games have already included quite a lot as it is) - what you won't get is a more cynical story, because the series always maintains an optimistic tone and has little reason to do otherwise.

Last edited:
Yes, you can pretty much rely on the eternal absence of any piece of Pokémon media that is "just for adults."

However, this does not mean that there cannot be a "darker" story. Darker story elements are not exclusive to "adult" media (the games have already included quite a lot as it is) - what you won't get is a more cynical story, because the series always maintains an optimistic tone and has little cause to do otherwise.

Yes, but I mean like a truly horrific tale that anyone under eighteen wouldn't be allowed to play. For example like murder, genocide, profanity, and etc. I know GF has touched on these topics in the past, but just an overview with the safety guards on. And rightly so because it is a game that's catered to children mostly with everybody else in the minority. I'm not saying it will never happen, just extremely unlikely.

Edit: haha cynical is exactly what I was trying to describe.

Yes, but I mean like a truly horrific tale that anyone under eighteen wouldn't be allowed to play. For example like murder, genocide, profanity, and etc. I know GF has touched on these topics in the past, but just an overview with the safety guards on. And rightly so because it is a game that's catered to children mostly with everybody else in the minority. I'm not saying it will never happen, just extremely unlikely.

Edit: haha cynical is exactly what I was trying to describe.
iirc Team Galactic and Flare already attempted mass genocide.

They probably won't do another mass destruction plot this time for the story. There is only so much they can do with it.

They just wanted to have legendaries under their control.

... so that they could un-make the universe and create a new one in their image.

Back
Top Bottom