• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Pokemon is slowly but surely shifting from evolutions to forms to conserve Pokedex space.

I'm not sure what they can really do to stem the tide at this stage. If they started introducing even less Pokemon it would probably tip people over the edge. Also I feel like if they were so concerned about Pokedex space they really shouldn't have introduced so many Pokemon in gen 5. In a way it kinda makes me feel bad we got so many new Pokemon in gen 5, if only they had just given us 106 new Pokemon back then and added an extra 25 on to both gen 6 and 7. It would have been a lot more balanced.

I'm hoping that once they reach 1000 Pokemon they'll just throw caution to the wind and realize they might as well add another 151 new Pokemon. I feel like that's part of why they added a global pokedex to Pokemon Bank, eventually I could definitely see the focus shifting to filling up your global pokedex rather than the national dex in any particular game.

I don't understand the "problem" of a high number of Pokemon. Is it supposed to be intimidating to new players? If ~800 doesn't bother them, I don't think 1000+ will either. Plus just because forms/variants/etc. don't have separate Dex numbers, doesn't mean they aren't pretty much the same thing as a different Pokemon. Only completionists & hardcore fans focus on completing the National Dex anyway.

Do you think they'll make the second set of games in gen 7 compatible with the Nintendo Switch? (along with 3DS also)

I think they might go for both the 3DS and the Switch. (It probably wouldn't be that hard, plus I'm sure they've had plenty of time to mess around with the Switch by now)

If nothing else this seems like a sign that we shouldn't expect sequels and a remake this gen, one or the other.

That just convinces me more that Generation 8 will be happening in 2018 on the Switch with 2017 a gap year. In that interview it was said: "...the team put in their all with this game,..."

So it seems like Game Freak have put all their eggs in one basket. So they really need a break in 2017 to work on the next Pokemon game(s) for 2018. It could be Gen 4 remake(s) or Gen 8's initial pair or possibly even a reboot which is what I am hoping for.

3DS is officially being supported till 2018, so yes we can and probably will have another game(s) in the seventh generation on 3DS

I very much doubt them releasing a game of one of Nintendo's most popular franchise on a old system which won't be supported by Nintendo's newest hardware. Yes, the Nintendo 3DS support will still run in the next two years, but I am sure not they won't release more Pokemon games except maybe spin-offs on the 3DS because of that reason.

I think they might go for both the 3DS and the Switch. (It probably wouldn't be that hard, plus I'm sure they've had plenty of time to mess around with the Switch by now)

I am sure they won't do that ever. For that, the pokemon main games need to be playable on a old system with older hardware. And that would mean, that the Switch version's would also be near 3DS level and that would would be horrible for a first pokemon game on a new console.

Personally I don't think they'll end this generation after only 2 years.

- First of all, if the franchise is moving to another console, especially to one that's more expensive than the previous ones, they need to give people time to buy it.

- Releasing new generations too often can get tiring for fans.

- They need time to develop the new games. XY took about 3.5 years and the games still feel empty and rushed. So I don't wanna imagine how bad Gen 8's games are gonna be with less development time.

- The 3DS is an established, successful console, while the Switch's future is uncertain. That means Nintendo will keep supporting the 3DS until the Switch proves to be a success. They're not gonna just drop it like that.

That just convinces me more that Generation 8 will be happening in 2018 on the Switch with 2017 a gap year. In that interview it was said: "...the team put in their all with this game,..."

So it seems like Game Freak have put all their eggs in one basket. So they really need a break in 2017 to work on the next Pokemon game(s) for 2018. It could be Gen 4 remake(s) or Gen 8's initial pair or possibly even a reboot which is what I am hoping for.
Gen 8 will not happen in 2018 until a new pair of gen 7 games is made. So 2019 or 2020 is more likely.

Gen 8 will not happen in 2018 until a new pair of gen 7 games is made. So 2019 or 2020 is more likely.
I'd rather have two high quality games in Gen 7 than possibly two lackluster games for 2017. So I'd rather prefer a break in 2017 and high quality games for 2018 and the Nintendo Switch and Generation 8.

I very much doubt them releasing a game of one of Nintendo's most popular franchise on a old system which won't be supported by Nintendo's newest hardware.

Generation V

Completely possible that we will get another Gen VII game on 3DS in 2017 and then have Gen VIII on Switch in 2018.

Though that dev time would be really tight with another Gen VII game, so I could see us having no game in 2017 at all, and then Gen VIII on Switch in Fall 2018.

Generation V

The only problem is, that Generation V, including BW2 was playable on the 3DS, while it isn't possible to play SM and another potential Gen VII pair on the Switch. This is the first time a handheld (and for what we know it IS the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U) isn't backwards compatible to at least the previous system. They most likely want to focus on the Switch instead onto the 3DS after their Wii U fail and that with a pokemon main game as fast as possible since no you can't play any pokemon main game on it and releasing another 3DS pokemon main game, which won't work on their newest system, would be hillarious.

And yeah I also asume 2017 to have no new game except maybe a GSC VC release and the 8th generation to start in 2018.

This generation won't last four years for sure. Maybe three years, but I am thinking two years is the number to go after that announcement. Another two and a half years until a pokemon game comes out on the new system wouldn't be clever. They need to make many high quality games for the Switch and I am sure they want to bring the second most popular franchise of Nintendo as quickly to the Switch as possible

Also one more indication would be the amount of mythicals in this gen. Only Magearna, which already got a movie and Marshadow.
And after soo many years of movies with mythicals taking the spotlight, it won't suprise me if there are only two movies for this gen and that would mean two years.

Say that to fans who wanted a new generatio after OR/AS instead of a full fleshed Kalos game with a large amount of content.

- The 3DS is an established, successful console, while the Switch's future is uncertain. That means Nintendo will keep supporting the 3DS until the Switch proves to be a success. They're not gonna just drop it like that.

Even if the Switch will fail to generate high selling numbers, they will move onto the Switch for sure. Supporting older systems more than the newest one is always a stupid idea.

- They need time to develop the new games. XY took about 3.5 years and the games still feel empty and rushed. So I don't wanna imagine how bad Gen 8's games are gonna be with less development time.

First of all XY's development time was due to how many polygon models they needed to make and how big the shift from DS to 3DS in generell was. Even with only 2 years of development should be enough. R/S development also was only slightly more than 2 years long. And since we know that Game Freak is already working on a Switch game, it should be more than enough time.

Last edited:
The more pokemon the better, I say. ;)

Regional variants are awesome because it finally shows that pokemon are like real animals and adapt to where they live. Not just the same pokemon everywhere because ARCEUS WILLS IT. Thank you for throwing spice into things, magic space llama.

Completely agreed

Personally I don't think they'll end this generation after only 2 years.

- First of all, if the franchise is moving to another console, especially to one that's more expensive than the previous ones, they need to give people time to buy it.

The part about XY feeling empty and rushed is pretty true, no lie...

And it's proof GF can polish a game and create content for it and go through all the motions, but if their heart isn't in it, the product ends up lukewarm at best

I think it would be really refreshing if gen 8 ended up focusing on new Pokemon and cross generational evolutions rather than adding some kind of flashy new battle gimmick. I feel like it's going to get a bit dull if they just keep adding more battle craziness.

Plus I feel like there are a lot more improvements they could be making outside of the battle system. Like giving Npcs more immersive schedules. (kinda like in Xenoblade)

I guess I just hope Pokemons major "innovations" from here on out aren't just increasingly zany battle mechanics.

(mini-rant, I may feel more strongly about this than you do lol :mad: ( :p ) )

I completely agree. Megas and Z-moves are both really blatant marketing ploys. I'm a Mega Hater (jk I'm just not big on the concept, some megas are fun designs though) but whether you like megas or not, I think it's very likely that GF invented megas with concern for their marketing plan first, and concern for the actual games second. I'd be surprised if anybody argued that megas and z-moves were created principally for the pokemon games' balance or universe.

That being said, I do think Z-moves could have a positive effect on the metagame and add a new exciting complexity to battles (also, strategy aside, I think the OTT Z-move animations could 'break up' monotonous battles visually). But I highly anticipate Z-moves to wreck the actual games' balance only further. Also, I'd struggle to say Z-moves as a concept aren't like, soulless. There's no "heart" in the concept; I don't know if that communicates what I mean, but I don't think GF really cares, if that makes sense. To clarify by example, look at megas: one generation they're the new exciting thing and the very next, they're nearly abandoned because the shock value is gone. also, like megas, z moves are kinda cringey ngl; straight out of a children's show

I've ranted about this before, but GF really seems to think they're marketing for an audience of purely eight year olds or w/e when I really, really think them taking the effort to make GOOD games and not just money grabs would do much better for them financially than they think. I'm not talking about megas/z-moves/whatever; they can be in the games and marketed for all I care, but if GF would bother to give their games actual plots and engaging gameplay* then their games would age much, much better. Like I've said before, GF could design games for ALL ages as opposed to just little kids, and only make more $$$. For anybody who needs proof: Gen V had the most semblance of plot and characters worth a shit, and it's aged the best (in my opinion). Whereas XY was cheesy whatever plot-wise and already a decent amount of people online describe it as "halfhearted", "rushed", etc.

(Outside of pokemon example: superhero movies sell well to audiences across a huge age range because everything that appeals to kids is there, but so is something worthwhile to everybody else, beyond the bare minimum effort wishwash of, say, kids' superhero shows)

Gen V is also a great example, as far as I see it, that games that are GOOD catch people's attention, receive positive press/discussion online, and SELL, without tacky gimmicks.

* to clarify, not the battle system itself but the storyline battles

^^ probably a very sloppy rant but I'm kinda tired lol

Anyway, basically I fully agree lol. I think more complex NPCs could be the bee's knees, and make any region really feel real; the sense of adventure is one of Pokemon's strongest areas, so I think exploring a region with interesting people would only help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather have two high quality games in Gen 7 than possibly two lackluster games for 2017. So I'd rather prefer a break in 2017 and high quality games for 2018 and the Nintendo Switch and Generation 8.
There is no evidence that the next games after SM would be lackluster. It be the worst gen ever if there is only two games. SM is not the ultimate games of the gen.

This is the first time a handheld (and for what we know it IS the successor to both the 3DS and Wii U) isn't backwards compatible to at least the previous system.
How would you know that the Nintendo Switch isn't backwards compatible when the system isn't even out yet? You can't really say this until the system comes out in March.

How would you know that the Nintendo Switch isn't backwards compatible when the system isn't even out yet? You can't really say this until the system comes out in March.

Nintendo Confirms Switch Isn't Physically Backwards Compatible With 3DS And Wii U Software

There is no evidence that the next games after SM would be lackluster. It be the worst gen ever if there is only two games. SM is not the ultimate games of the gen.

You haven't even seen these games yet, you have no idea if they're not the ultimate games of this gen. XY never got a follow-up either, the only other gen VI games were a remake. So either we get a remake again (which is a bit doubtful, since we've just had one) or it could very well be these are the only games this gen.

Personally I don't care if the next games are going to be Gen 7 or Gen 8. A new game is a new game, why does it matter which generation it belongs to?

Last edited:
Say that to fans who wanted a new generatio after OR/AS instead of a full fleshed Kalos game with a large amount of content

But a lot of fans also wanted a Z version and felt that Gen 6 ended too early. If SM don't live up to people's expectations, I imagine more will be enraged than the opposite if they end up being the only Gen 7 games.

Even if the Switch will fail to generate high selling numbers, they will move onto the Switch for sure. Supporting older systems more than the newest one is always a stupid idea.

Err, no. There's a reason Nintendo said the Switch is a home system first and foremost. It's an experimental system. If it fails they'll most likely extend the 3DS's lifespan for a little longer and release a direct successor. I'm not saying they won't start pushing the Switch more, but putting all their eggs in a basket is a bad business move. They need a cushion to fall back on just in case, and that is the 3DS.

First of all XY's development time was due to how many polygon models they needed to make and how big the shift from DS to 3DS in generell was. Even with only 2 years of development should be enough. R/S development also was only slightly more than 2 years long. And since we know that Game Freak is already working on a Switch game, it should be more than enough time.

And now they'll have to build the entire world in high definition, not just the Pokemon models. That's a significant amount of work right here. You can't compare it to RS which only used 2D sprites. Even if they started development this year, that gives them barely over 2 years, which, after XY, I don't believe is enough for GF to produce a quality 3D game on a new console.

But a lot of fans also wanted a Z version and felt that Gen 6 ended too early. If SM don't live up to people's expectations, I imagine more will be enraged than the opposite if they end up being the only Gen 7 games.

That's Game Freaks decision. They felt Gen 6 didn't needed a sequel/special version (for what reason?) and it won't be different if they feel the same for SM even if they will horribly flop. They rather release generation after generation now because these games makes the most cash than fleshing out a generation and also giving the next one more time.

Err, no. There's a reason Nintendo said the Switch is a home system first and foremost. It's an experimental system. If it fails they'll most likely extend the 3DS's lifespan for a little longer and release a direct successor. I'm not saying they won't start pushing the Switch more, but putting all their eggs in a basket is a bad business move. They need a cushion to fall back on just in case, and that is the 3DS.

First it was mentioned, that it will be the third system running together with the U and 3DS. They said the same for the DS. Now it should replace Wii U as the primary home system even after it should be obvious now that it's mroe a handheld than a home system since all the graphical power, the CPU etc. is build IN the handheld part and the docking station only being the connected to the TV.

They just say that to save the 3DS from quickly falling selling numbers like in DS's case.

And now they'll have to build the entire world in high definition, not just the Pokemon models. That's a significant amount of work right here. You can't compare it to RS which only used 2D sprites. Even if they started development this year, that gives them barely over 2 years, which, after XY, I don't believe is enough for GF to produce a quality 3D game on a new console.

The most work was flowing into the polygon models of over 700 pokemon. Yes the 3D world took some work, but also because of the transition from a 2D to a 3D world. All polygon models are made and they only need to upgrade them every few years like Go did currently. Now they need to work on those new HD textures for the Switch and combining them with an upgraded version of SM's engine. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom