• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

"Funny things"?

Battle Circus confirmed! :p
The Four main battling options will be Single, Double, Triple, and Rotation battles... with a twist: you can apply battle filters to these four standard styles!
  • The Type Chart Filter lets you choose between the Inverse Battle type chart, the classic Gen I type chart, and the modern type chart!
  • The Frontier Filter lets you choose battle styles from past battle facilities. Options include Standard mode (just normal battling), Arena mode (Battle Arena rules from Gen III), Arcade mode (Battle Arcade rules from Gen IV), and Factory Mode (the Emerald Battle Factory).
  • The Items Filter lets you choose if and how regular items or used. You can have the standard no-items rule, the Wonder Launcher from Gen V, and the Battle Castle method of purchasing items for use in the facility.
Come one, come all to the greatest faxcility ever, and your reward for completeing all of these challenges will be the long awaited dolphin Pokémon with a wig and a Pikachu-like parasite attached to it! :LOL:

#ImNotSorry

To be fair why does there have to be a post game? The game tells its story now make a competitive team and fight your friends or catch em all (if starting from scratch could take a couple of weeks)

Because more things to do is always better than less things to do :p Some people already have a living dex and/or don't play competitively. Give them something to do after the main story too.

And I think it's a matter of being used to it. DPPt and BW(2) had multiple whole new routes postgame and also the Battle Frontier/Contests/Pokémon World Tournament/etc. And then suddenly there's XY with pretty much nothing, except the Battle Maison and the Looker Mission. We use to be able to go on more adventures after becoming the Champion, it would just be fun if that returns. Especially now that for a lot of people, the main game has become a breeze.

Well, we know already that you'll be able to use megas in the postgame.

Someone ask them about why they skipped Z and if they're ever returning to Kalos. That's the only burning question I have for this game, I'm satisfied with just about everything else I've seen.

With the 10% and complete form in SM, there was no need for another gen 6 game. Plus we already can get all non-event pokemon between XY and ORAS. They wouldn't make another game for a gen when you can already complete the national dex with the current ones.

Whether or not GF had planned this to happen or changed their minds on another Kalos game doesn't matter anymore. SM is what matters now.

It doesn't have to mean anything for Kalos, though? They didn't want to make a third Kalos game, so they moved on to the next generation: Sun and Moon.

We can't really know what they're thinking, and if they're thinking anything big (like randomly making a third version like Z Eclipse that takes place in both Kalos and Alola) they certainly wouldn't tell any of us about it before the hype of Sun and Moon dies down a little so they can create a new Hype wave.

Actually it does. Because Sun and Moon is including elements that would traditionally be in Z such as the new Zygarde forms, so that begs the question of why and what that means for Kalos.
It means nothing. Kalos is done. And it is pretty obvious it won't be in SM. The only point to another Kalos game is Zygarde but it is in SM so that means we don't have to go back to Kalos.

Sun & Moon absorbing Kalosian story elements like Zygarde gives a hypothetical Z game even less to work with, making it all the more useless.

Well there is the fact that Zygarde is for some reason chilling in Alola and that we have a new battle mechanic called Z-moves, and I can't think of any other reason why it's named like that except that it has something to do with XY. I'm not saying Kalos is in these games, I very much doubt that. Also don't think we're still getting a Z game. What I do think is that they've included elements that would've been in a potential Z game in these games. Maybe that's the new way to go; instead of third versions, the new elements that would go in a third version are now added to the new games.

Not sure how I feel about that though. On one hand I'm kinda happy third versions are gone, I'm not much of a fan of paying full price for a game that's mostly 70-90% the same as the previous games. On the other hand, I want a new region to be its own region and not to be (potentially) overshadowed by elements from the previous one. I do hate that Zygarde is in Alola, not only because I don't care for it, but it just has no business there. And the name Z-moves seems to have nothing to do with Alola as well. Everything gets names that fit the region, like Kahuna's and Totem Pokémon and then there's Z-moves...

On the other hand, I want a new region to be its own region and not to be (potentially) overshadowed by elements from the previous one. I do hate that Zygarde is in Alola, not only because I don't care for it, but it just has no business there.

In fairness, I don't think we can really say that Zygarde has no business being there until we actually know why it's there to begin with. And really, I can think of at least one plausible reason off the top of my head - the Ultra Beasts are said to pose a threat to humans and Pokémon, and Zygarde views itself as a protector of Pokémon ecosystems. I don't think it's very far-fetched to think that Zygarde would respond to their intrusion in some way. And not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think that already makes more sense than Mewtwo being in Kalos, or Unova randomly having a cave for the Lake trio that connects to Sinnoh.

And the name Z-moves seems to have nothing to do with Alola as well. Everything gets names that fit the region, like Kahuna's and Totem Pokémon and then there's Z-moves...

While it could be that they considered introducing them in a "Z" game at one point, and the name just stuck and carried over, I'm not convinced of that yet. But Z is often used as a "cool" letter in general for its punchiness. I genuinely think this has the potential to be a mere case of, "they thought it looked/sounded like a cool name for a finishing move."

(Besides, them having a less specific, "un-Alolan" name future-proofs them a bit. Since they are almost certainly going to carry over into future games, they won't have to rebrand the concept like they did with Pokémon-Amie. Whereas Totem Pokémon and Kahunas are unlikely to appear in other regions, at least in the forms that we currently know them by, and can therefore have more region-specific names.)

Last edited:
Actually it does. Because Sun and Moon is including elements that would traditionally be in Z such as the new Zygarde forms, so that begs the question of why and what that means for Kalos.
Well we should ask them why they skipped Pokemon Chaos Emerald version for the GBA, since DPPt clearly had elements of Gen III with Regigigas.

They had one of the Guardian Deities as the Strange Souvenir long before they revealed Zygarde Complete. For all we know, there were never any firm plans for third versions and I doubt Z-moves would have been released the same generation as Mega Evolutions.

Well we should ask them why they skipped Pokemon Chaos Emerald version for the GBA, since DPPt clearly had elements of Gen III with Regigigas.

They had one of the Guardian Deities as the Strange Souvenir long before they revealed Zygarde Complete. For all we know, there were never any firm plans for third versions and I doubt Z-moves would have been released the same generation as Mega Evolutions.

That is a very different scenario. Emerald already got its third version centered around Rayquaza, so returning to Hoenn yet again would've been somewhat pointless. We've only visited Kalos once and there's been numerous hints towards bigger plans towards Kalos, so I doubt there were never any firm plans. They never leave so many hints towards another game and then don't follow up.

While Zygarde is in Sun and Moon that doesn't take away the entire point of having a return to Kalos. Xerneas and Yveltal could get upgraded forms to serve as the mascots instead of Zygarde and there's numerous other things to justify returning to Kalos (new areas in Southern Kalos, Eternal Flower Floette has yet to show up in the games, Rhyhorn racing, the various other minor things that they hinted at). Hell, coming back to it after 7th gen might actually make it more interesting because then they have the new Pokemon, Alola forms, Z moves, and all of that to further enhance the game.

There were also numerous hints to moving to another region to the point that @Silktree called it out right from the beginning, and even called out a new generation earlier than anyone else.

And the claim "they never leave so many hints"--Game Freak were literally not planning on making sequels for BW despite all the hints that lead people to believe that. They only created sequels at the prompting of Satoru Iwata.

Seriously, get over that Z didn't happen.

And yeah, of course they'll come back to Kalos after Gen 7...you know, after the Sinnoh and Unova remakes.

We've only visited Kalos once and there's been numerous hints towards bigger plans towards Kalos, so I doubt there were never any firm plans. They never leave so many hints towards another game and then don't follow up.
but there weren't so many hints. the only credible hint was Zygarde being left unattended to, but that alone doesn't really merit a return to Kalos especially now that it's practically been retconned into something else.
While Zygarde is in Sun and Moon that doesn't take away the entire point of having a return to Kalos.
with Zygarde in SM, outside of a remake there'd be little reason to go back to Kalos.
Xerneas and Yveltal could get upgraded forms to serve as the mascots instead of Zygarde
but why? wouldn't the whole point of a non-remake return to Kalos be about expanding on Zygarde? i mean i wouldn't be opposed to more lore on Xerneas and Yveltal, but having them as the mascot over Zygarde seems more of an early remake rather than a sort of "enhanced version" that previous generations got.
new areas in Southern Kalos
there'd certainly be new areas, but let's not forget that Southern Kalos isn't real. (well, it is real but not as many people seemed to think it as.)
Eternal Flower Floette has yet to show up in the games
sometimes things go unused like the Original Dragon never appearing, the Arceus event being scrapped for a distribution, the Pokemon that Ho-Oh resurrected, and so on. we don't know why it was created. perhaps they intended for Floette to return to AZ and then you battle him with Floette?
Rhyhorn racing
probably scrapped due to the anime pushing Serena as a performer and perhaps even tech limitations.
the various other minor things that they hinted at
key word being minor though.

Back
Top Bottom