• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

Well there is the fact that Zygarde is for some reason chilling in Alola and that we have a new battle mechanic called Z-moves, and I can't think of any other reason why it's named like that except that it has something to do with XY. I'm not saying Kalos is in these games, I very much doubt that. Also don't think we're still getting a Z game. What I do think is that they've included elements that would've been in a potential Z game in these games. Maybe that's the new way to go; instead of third versions, the new elements that would go in a third version are now added to the new games.

Not sure how I feel about that though. On one hand I'm kinda happy third versions are gone, I'm not much of a fan of paying full price for a game that's mostly 70-90% the same as the previous games. On the other hand, I want a new region to be its own region and not to be (potentially) overshadowed by elements from the previous one. I do hate that Zygarde is in Alola, not only because I don't care for it, but it just has no business there. And the name Z-moves seems to have nothing to do with Alola as well. Everything gets names that fit the region, like Kahuna's and Totem Pokémon and then there's Z-moves...

While it could be that they considered introducing them in a "Z" game at one point, and the name just stuck and carried over, I'm not convinced of that yet. But Z is often used as a "cool" letter in general for its punchiness. I genuinely think this has the potential to be a mere case of, "they thought it looked/sounded like a cool name for a finishing move."

(Besides, them having a less specific, "un-Alolan" name future-proofs them a bit. Since they are almost certainly going to carry over into future games, they won't have to rebrand the concept like they did with Pokémon-Amie. Whereas Totem Pokémon and Kahunas are unlikely to appear in other regions, at least in the forms that we currently know them by, and can therefore have more region-specific names.)

I believe it was pointed out by @G-Panthera that the "Z" from "Z-Move" most likely stands for the word "Zenith" instead of Zygarde. It also ties into the games being called Sun/Moon as one of the definitions for zenith is "the highest point reached by a celestial or other object".

I agree with Bolt that there was a lot of hints towards Z, but I'm glad they ditched Z for Sun/Moon as I'm way more hyped at the moment than I would be for a simple return to Kalos, XY Copy paste with a few changes.

But we got Ash-Greninja and the whole Zygarde plot with the cells and the Complete Form in Sun and Moon. And of course the Z-Moves which could easily added to a Kalos sequel. So, we have a mini Z-Version inside these games and this will partially satisfy many of the fans who wanted Kalos sequels. Gamefreak made Sun and Moon really special.

I think that the next gen VII game will be Sinnoh remakes.

While Zygarde is in Sun and Moon that doesn't take away the entire point of having a return to Kalos. Xerneas and Yveltal could get upgraded forms to serve as the mascots instead of Zygarde and there's numerous other things to justify returning to Kalos (new areas in Southern Kalos, Eternal Flower Floette has yet to show up in the games, Rhyhorn racing, the various other minor things that they hinted at). Hell, coming back to it after 7th gen might actually make it more interesting because then they have the new Pokemon, Alola forms, Z moves, and all of that to further enhance the game.
It actually does. Xerneas and Yveltal have no business getting new forms since Zygarde is suppose to be stronger than them in complete form. AZ's Floette belongs to AZ. Rhyhorn races are pointless and unnecessary. Kalos is big enough as it is so no new areas are required. Kalos is considered complete and therefore does not need to return.

As for the new pokemon we got today, it all looks good and the typings are alright.

So we have:
- Two battle facilities (Royale and Tree)
- Amie-like feature (Refresh)
- Pokemon Islands (Pelago)
- Join Avenue-like feature (Festival Plaza)
- Possibly a league

Is anyone wondering where our Contest, Musical, PokeAthlon-like feature is? It could be like Kalos and not have such a feature at all. But that would be disappointing.

14:51: Some details have come for the communication features.
Quick Communication is Local wireless only and has Single & Double Battle options
In the Festival Plaza, you have access to Single, Double and Multi Battles as well as the Battle Royal in Local and Online options.
Battle Spot Free Battle has Single and Double options, as well as a Battle Royal option. Free Battle also allows you to choose between whether you want to battle Special Pokémon (Legendary & Mythical) or not
Battle Spot Rating Battle only has Single and Double options, as well as the VGC ladder.

Hold the F U C K up where are rotation and triple battles in all this......................................................................................

dysupw.jpg

Hold the F U C K up where are rotation and triple battles in all this...
So it continues to spread, huh? After the initial reveal of the Battle Spot removing Triple and Rotation itself, now a lot of other areas are removing it? Hm.

Dare I say that it may be rendering issues?

So it continues to spread, huh? After the initial reveal of the Battle Spot removing Triple and Rotation itself, now a lot of other areas are removing it? Hm.

Dare I say that it may be rendering issues?

Lol I was actually thinking that too, I suddenly realized we see trainer models constantly now too and having eight complex models at once on the field (especially if one or more are Moltres, Rapidash, etc) would pretty much kill the new 3DS; forget about the old model that can't run SM Totem battles without lagging way down

If so, then I guess it makes sense to restrict triple and rotation over Wifi. I was thinking they deleted triples and rotation from the games fully for a hot second and I was about to literally not buy these games

never the FUCK mind because apparently triples and rotation are not in the game code
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

View: https://twitter.com/KazoWAR/status/791201373106962433

microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif
microsoft.gif

never the FUCK mind because apparently triples and rotation are not in the game code
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Well, you never know if they somehow scrubbed that out of the demo, though it'd make a ton of sense if they kept Battle Royale as a mode in some capacity.

TBH I have zero problem with this. To me those modes, while fun in their own way, were little more than gimmicks.

Well, you never know if they somehow scrubbed that out of the demo, though it'd make a ton of sense if they kept Battle Royale as a mode in some capacity.

TBH I have zero problem with this. To me those modes, while fun in their own way, were little more than gimmicks.

Not "gimmicks" when rotation was literally the most dynamic, exciting, strategic, and complex battle format and along with triples at least had some semblance of strategy and team synergy as opposed to the boring ass broken rock paper scissors GARBAGE that is singles in my opinion

(I'm fuming at GF for a bit, not angry at you lol :p)

Not "gimmicks" when rotation was literally the most dynamic, exciting, strategic, and complex battle format and along with triples at least had some semblance of strategy and team synergy as opposed to the boring ass broken rock paper scissors GARBAGE that is singles in my opinion

(I'm fuming at GF for a bit, not angry at you lol :p)
I have a preference for Doubles because it's decidedly complex but not overly so, in my opinion. That's the only real reason my reaction to Rotation and Triples are what they are - Doubles is in the middle of the road, and the format I like best as a result of the strategy that comes with it, though it's compressed enough so that it doesn't become super overwhelming.

I have a preference for Doubles because it's decidedly complex but not overly so, in my opinion. That's the only real reason my reaction to Rotation and Triples are what they are - Doubles is in the middle of the road, and the format I like best as a result of the strategy that comes with it, though it's compressed enough so that it doesn't become super overwhelming.

Fair enough; doubles are a solid battle format and the best compromise between interesting, complex combo/strategic potential and the "coziness" + directness of single battles (having three pokemon out on each side somehow makes the atmosphere of a battle less intense than a one on one battle, I think?)

Now, if only they can increase Singles teams to 6 Pokemon. That would make it more competitive and intense, in my opinion.

Now, if only they can increase Singles teams to 6 Pokemon. That would make it more competitive and intense, in my opinion.
It'd take pretty long, though. That's the only problem I see with it. Well, that and the salt at being blasted by a single Pokémon against all six of your own team, potentially.

One thing's for sure - they're never going to do that in Singles Rating Battles because of the Your Time feature. In any case, as if it was bad enough with stalling in doubles at Worlds 2016, I would never want to wish that sort of thing upon anyone, not even the casuals, in a random battle setting. But that's just my opinion.

It'd take pretty long, though. That's the only problem I see with it. Well, that and the salt at being blasted by a single Pokémon against all six of your own team, potentially.

One thing's for sure - they're never going to do that in Singles Rating Battles because of the Your Time feature. In any case, as if it was bad enough with stalling in doubles at Worlds 2016, I would never want to wish that sort of thing upon anyone, not even the casuals, in a random battle setting. But that's just my opinion.
That's a valid point. Winning streaks would also take too long to build up. This could be a problem if you earn a ribbon at say 50 wins.

I'm more worried about Triple and Rotation Battles being removed for a different reason: if they can remove battle styles, then that sets a precedent for Game Freak to remove other battle-centric features such as Mega Evolution. Seriously, this is like two huge steps backward imo. I know Game Freak wants to simplify things for the younger audience, but can we at least keep features beyond the basic single and double battle formats?

Edit: Now I really hope for a third version to add these battle styles back in if we are indeed never getting anything beyond the basic Battle Tower clone. At least then we wouldn't have to worry about Game Freak removing other battle-related features.

I liked rotation battles, but I am not that disappointed. Game Freak never really did anything with triple or rotation battles, so if reducing the quantity of battle modes helps them flesh out the new Battle Royal as a competitive feature, maybe that isn't such a bad idea.

Mega Evolutions have nothing to do with battle modes.

Kallyle said:
Now I really hope for a third version to add these battle styles back in if we are indeed never getting anything beyond the basic Battle Tower clone. At least then we wouldn't have to worry about Game Freak removing other battle-related features.
A third version, seriously? And the Battle Tree is no Battle Tower clone.

I liked Triple and Rotation Battles, but they never did anything with them after Gen V, so it's hard for me to miss them very much (especially when I already go back and re-play BW periodically and get much better mileage out of them there). Besides, if having the Trainers visible in battles is the trade-off, then I'll gladly take that, because I really like having the Trainers there.

I liked rotation battles, but I am not that disappointed. Game Freak never really did anything with triple or rotation battles, so if reducing the quantity of battle modes helps them flesh out the new Battle Royal as a competitive feature, maybe that isn't such a bad idea.

Mega Evolutions have nothing to do with battle modes.
It's okay that share a different opinion, but I think you did not understand what I was trying to say. I should have been a bit more clear on my stance:

My concern is less about the particular battle styles themselves, and more with the fact that Game Freak has removed battle-related features. Even though Mega Evolution and the removed battle modes have nothing to do with each other, they are both battle-related mechanics. What I was trying to say (and failed to say it clearly) was that if Game Freak can remove at least one battle-related feature, then it sets a precedent form Game Freak to remove other battle features such as Mega Evolution. Seeing as how Game Freak is downplaying Mega Evolution this generation, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the next thing to go.

A third version, seriously? And the Battle Tree is no Battle Tower clone.
Those things were just me ranting, so I apologize for over-exaggerating. In reality, I'm cautiously optimistic for the Battle Tree. If we do get another installment in Gen VII though, I would like Game freak to add those features back in so that they reassure us that some stuff beyond the basic battle mechanics will stay with the series. I'm just worried that Game Freak will start stripping the games down to their bare essentials. I highly doubt that most of the fans, even the more casual players and their target demographic, would want that.

I don't claim to speak for the fandom, but making the games extremely easy with only the bare essentials might turn away the majority of their customers. I've never played Yo-Kai Watch!, but I doubt that they would do such things to the extent that Game Freak has. To be fair though, I concede to the possibility that a lot of people might not have liked or cared about about those battle styles, which could have been the reason for their removal. I just wanted to let you know why I was worried about this.

Back
Top Bottom