• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

I still remember, early on when Sun/Moon was announced, that everyone was certain that there would be more Megas or some sort of continuation of that. I was the only one who believed that there wouldn't be any new ones, because it was just another novelty of a previous generation. I got told that I was wrong.

Well, look at things now...

I still remember, early on when Sun/Moon was announced, that everyone was certain that there would be more Megas or some sort of continuation of that. I was the only one who believed that there wouldn't be any new ones, because it was just another novelty of a previous generation. I got told that I was wrong.

Well, look at things now...
Yeah, at first I believed they'll be new megas, but now GF is getting rid of Megas, because of so many complaints and hates on Megas, since there are no new megas in sun and moon, we probably not going to see them again in DP remake

I'm oddly mixed on this.

I'm interested in a new title and new things to see & do, but I don't think I'd say every main series game after that would be on the Switch. Exclusive content not found in the 3DS versions, the Eurogamer article states. I wonder how that'll go down.

Spoilers for language:
And sorry but the date for this "leak" is ASS, man. Like literal ass. After all the demo datamining & early leaks of the game, this is the LAST thing Sun & Moon needed, more stuff going wrong, especially something like this.

I'm oddly mixed on this.

I'm interested in a new title and new things to see & do, but I don't think I'd say every main series game after that would be on the Switch. Exclusive content not found in the 3DS versions, the Eurogamer article states. I wonder how that'll go down.

Spoilers for language:
And sorry but the date for this "leak" is ASS, man. Like literal ass. After all the demo datamining & early leaks of the game, this is the LAST thing Sun & Moon needed, more stuff going wrong, especially something like this.
I think this star thing is fake, because people already uses to 3DS sales, nintendo wouldn't be crazy enough to release a third game on switch exclusive, if they want to start a new system, then they have to be new gens first

I wish they would release Stars, break some patterns and order some pizza! :p
People already thinking the pokemon star thing is fake, because they it's on switch, they only start off the new system on a new gen, they could've just waited till gen 8 for switch exclusive, what doesn't make since is that people still getting use to 3DS and now the only way to play Pokemon star is getting a nintendo switch, I highly think Gen 7 would stay on 3ds, since they already started off on sun and moon, it would make since if they criss cross between the main game and third game on different system, i mean come on, what game does that, now I know GF wouldn't be that crazy enough to break that pattern, seriously if they want pokemon to be on switch, wait till gen 8 to start a whole new generation, but right @RainbowLifeAndLove, let just take this rumor as a grain of salt

Yeah, at first I believed they'll be new megas, but now GF is getting rid of Megas, because of so many complaints and hates on Megas, since there are no new megas in sun and moon, we probably not going to see them again in DP remake

They're not "getting rid of Megas". They're just pushing them in the backseat so they won't overshadow the Gen 7 Pokemon, Z-Moves, and Alola forms. If anything, Megas will probably be used more in remakes and third versions/sequels.

because they it's on switch, they only start off the new system on a new gen, they could've just waited till gen 8 for switch exclusive, what doesn't make since is that people still getting use to 3DS and now the only way to play Pokemon star is getting a nintendo switch

While it's true they've only mentioned the Switch, they never really said it'll be exclusive to the Nintendo Switch.

I'm oddly mixed on this.

Spoilers for language:

Yeah. :/

I feel sorry for Game Freak and Nintendo. I really hope this doesn't damage their sales.

They're not "getting rid of Megas". They're just pushing them in the backseat so they won't overshadow the Gen 7 Pokemon, Z-Moves, and Alola forms. If anything, Megas will probably be used more in remakes and third versions/sequels.
Yeah, we might see Megas in DP remake, and some new Z-moves, and possibly sinnoh forms
While it's true they've only mentioned the Switch, they never really said it'll be exclusive to the Nintendo Switch.
Yeah, but I don't believe the Pokemon Star rumor, it kinda feels like Pokemon Z rumor all over again

If anything we should be happy if more people decide to go for the switch version. It decreases the chances of it becoming the next Wii U.

I'd rather they not ditch the 3DS after Sun and Moon's apparent big success, and I'd prefer for Star to be fake. I thought we'd be done with these leaks now...

They didn't get rid of Megas - they're still there, it's just they chose to not introduce any more new ones. I never thought that they would outright drop the mechanic, just not introduce any more new ones. It really just goes to show that even a metagame-changing mechanic like Mega Pokemon is still nothing more than a generation novelty and gimmick. This isn't the first feature new to a generation that Game Freak decided to drop in subsequent generations, and it certainly won't be the last. I can guarantee you that Z-Moves will share the same fate.

Megas were polarizing but it doesn't mean they weren't welcomed in the competitive scene. Now of course, if Game Freak got rid of Megas for balance, its weird that they kept both Mega Kangaskhan (albeit nerf'd) and Mega Lucario....

The games have only just released and there's already rumours of a third version:
Sources: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon version
Didn't Sun and Moon just go by the Japanese word for Rainbow? For all we know Stars is a new generation and Gen VII is literally just an anniversary generation...

They didn't get rid of Megas - they're still there, it's just they chose to not introduce any more new ones. I never thought that they would outright drop the mechanic, just not introduce any more new ones. It really just goes to show that even a metagame-changing mechanic like Mega Pokemon is still nothing more than a generation novelty and gimmick. This isn't the first feature new to a generation that Game Freak decided to drop in subsequent generations, and it certainly won't be the last. I can guarantee you that Z-Moves will share the same fate.

There's kind of a key difference between features that were dropped, and features that were merely put away in the toolbox. Historically, dropped features are the likes of Walking Pokémon, or PR videos, or the DexNav. You know, things that only exist in a game or two, and completely cease to be in the following installment. Whereas Mega Evolutions still (and Z-Moves will still) exist in later games - they just won't have the same amount of spotlight.

Now, maybe that seems pedantic, but I just think that "dropped" is a very specific word in this particular context and tends to be read a certain way.

There's kind of a key difference between features that were dropped, and features that were merely put away in the toolbox. Historically, dropped features are the likes of Walking Pokémon, or PR videos, or the DexNav. You know, things that only exist in a game or two, and completely cease to be in the following installment. Whereas Mega Evolutions still (and Z-Moves will still) exist in later games - they just won't have the same amount of spotlight.

Now, maybe that seems pedantic, but I just think that "dropped" is a very specific word in this particular context and tends to be read a certain way.
I'll agree with you. "Dropped" was poor wording on my part, though I still never believed that they would actually drop them. Just no more extras.

Nonetheless, I still got told off by people who earnestly thought that S/M would have new Megas. My entire point was that Mega Pokemon are just another novelty. A novelty that's technically still there, but one that likely won't ever be expanded on. Kind of like how day/night still exists, but we no longer have diurnal or nocturnal Pokemon to the extent that GSC once had. We still have sexual dimorphism in Pokemon, but nowhere near the extent as DPPt had. It is what it is; a novelty. A gimmick.

Didn't Sun and Moon just go by the Japanese word for Rainbow? For all we know Stars is a new generation and Gen VII is literally just an anniversary generation...
Except that the source is very clear about a third version that was developed alongside Sun and Moon. The Niji leak in February was hardly very specific.

So, who will a buy a Switch if Stars is real?

Not this cat. I don't think I'd be able to justify the expense even if it were a whole new game... but I am damned certain that I'm not throwing all that money out just to get SM+bonus features.

I mean, I honestly think the Switch looks pretty cool, and I think I'd like to get one someday, if they put some worthwhile games on it. But a polished version of SM just isn't worth it in any way.

People already thinking the pokemon star thing is fake, because they it's on switch, they only start off the new system on a new gen, they could've just waited till gen 8 for switch exclusive, what doesn't make since is that people still getting use to 3DS and now the only way to play Pokemon star is getting a nintendo switch, I highly think Gen 7 would stay on 3ds, since they already started off on sun and moon, it would make since if they criss cross between the main game and third game on different system, i mean come on, what game does that, now I know GF wouldn't be that crazy enough to break that pattern, seriously if they want pokemon to be on switch, wait till gen 8 to start a whole new generation, but right @RainbowLifeAndLove, let just take this rumor as a grain of salt

I really don't know why are you telling people who want to believe this thing to take it as a grain of salt. It's someone's opinion if they want to take it as a 'grain of salt'. For all we know, it might be real.

Heading onto Pokemon Star, I'm ready for it. I've got a theory that it might be the 'Parent Game' of XY and SM some people were taking about. The game could incorporate both their 'Star' regions- Alola and Kalos into one game. This game would contain the highlights of both Kalos and Alola. It could act as a 'Semi-Generation', introducing some more Megas and Alola forms. I would also like to see expansion on the Battle Bond, with more starters added which can have this as an ability.
Xerneas and Yevtal could get 'perfect forms', and there could be something in the way of a third legendary to complement Solgaleo and Lunala.

The Switch would be able to handle these games better than any 3DS, just my idea of an unpredictable 'Epic' game. Pokemon Star could be the true anniversary game.

These games could contain both Gyms, and Island trials, and would focus on the best things of Kalos and Alola. They could expand on SM and XY's storylines, adding more areas, and maybe we could meet Lillie again?

It would be one epic game, acting as a bridge between XY and SM. This idea of a 'Semi-New Generation' would be surprising.

And, maybe they would create a 3DS version of these games, or the games could be used on a 3DS?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom